17303 posts
YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Rival Watch

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 28 Oct 2022 17:08

Nameless
YorkshireRoyal99
Nameless
You would think the league requirement is for a club to have a contract in place for a home ground that meets league regulations and is available for all potentialmatch days. What more can a club do ? Plenty of clubs don’t own their ground, if their landlord breaks the contract the club is not at fault.

Yes - and Coventry do. That doesn't mean to say they are mandated to a ground though. They don't have to play their games at the CBS Arena, but that's their choice to do so. If it's not fit for purpose, it's not the league's fault either, Coventry decide where they play their games, not the league. Harsh as it may be, that's the truth of the situation. I'm sure there will be some sort of plan in place for excruciating circumstances, such as the landlord breaking the contract.

I’m pretty certain clubs are not allowed to just change grounds whenever they want. They nominate a ‘home ground’ as part of their entry I Tom the league each season and that is where they play. If at the time of doing that the Ricoh met all the criteria then Cov are in the clear.
The bit about it being the league’s fault isn’t relevant, no one isn’t talking about blaming the league. It just seems very harsh to punish Cov if they have done everything but the rules. There could be lots of reasons a ground becomes unavailable through no fault of the club (it burnt down, a sinkhole opened up, a nuclear weapons research establishment in the area had a leak......) would the club have points deducted then ?

Hence the point: "I'm sure there will be some sort of plan in place for excruciating circumstances". I'm not suggesting anyone is blaming the league right now, but this is what would be said. Coventry have a responsibility to make their ground safe for use and on time for each home game, if they can't do that, for whatever reason, then someone is at fault somewhere, usually the club.

For example, Coventry have already tried blaming Wasps for the postponement of their fixtures already this season. We used to ground share with a rugby club as well and never had such issues as we had a responsibility to make the pitch fit for purpose. If Coventry can't do that, that's on them. They know the circumstances prior to the league starting, that's what the league would say.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 28 Oct 2022 17:19

YorkshireRoyal99
Nameless
Sutekh
Might Wigan fall foul of the FL and get points deducted for failing to pay staff on time?

Yes. League rules were changed earlier this year.
Late payment is classed as wages not being paid within 2 days of due date. Penalties vary but caninclude significant points deductions. Immediate embargo on player registrations . Seen as a big warning of a club in financial trouble

Not that we should know but I haven't seen anything suggesting that they are under any sort of embargo or any sort of penalties incoming? Not saying that there isn't, but it just seems to be aa bit quiet on that front, although I don't doubt there are things we don't know.

Reading some of the local Wigan media the impression is that the failure to pay staff on time is really due to problems in banking processes, which the club have been working to iron out, rather than having cash flow or funding problems.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 28 Oct 2022 17:44

YorkshireRoyal99
Nameless
YorkshireRoyal99
Yes - and Coventry do. That doesn't mean to say they are mandated to a ground though. They don't have to play their games at the CBS Arena, but that's their choice to do so. If it's not fit for purpose, it's not the league's fault either, Coventry decide where they play their games, not the league. Harsh as it may be, that's the truth of the situation. I'm sure there will be some sort of plan in place for excruciating circumstances, such as the landlord breaking the contract.

I’m pretty certain clubs are not allowed to just change grounds whenever they want. They nominate a ‘home ground’ as part of their entry I Tom the league each season and that is where they play. If at the time of doing that the Ricoh met all the criteria then Cov are in the clear.
The bit about it being the league’s fault isn’t relevant, no one isn’t talking about blaming the league. It just seems very harsh to punish Cov if they have done everything but the rules. There could be lots of reasons a ground becomes unavailable through no fault of the club (it burnt down, a sinkhole opened up, a nuclear weapons research establishment in the area had a leak......) would the club have points deducted then ?

Hence the point: "I'm sure there will be some sort of plan in place for excruciating circumstances". I'm not suggesting anyone is blaming the league right now, but this is what would be said. Coventry have a responsibility to make their ground safe for use and on time for each home game, if they can't do that, for whatever reason, then someone is at fault somewhere, usually the club.

For example, Coventry have already tried blaming Wasps for the postponement of their fixtures already this season. We used to ground share with a rugby club as well and never had such issues as we had a responsibility to make the pitch fit for purpose. If Coventry can't do that, that's on them. They know the circumstances prior to the league starting, that's what the league would say.

The place is a curse on all who play there. Don’t understand how Coventry went from owning a reasonably decent Highfield Road to being only tenants in a new plastic spakkerdome. First they fell out with their landlords and have to play games in Northampton and Birmingham then Wasps finally alienate all their London fan base by jumping ship from Wycombe to take over at the Ricoh (or whatever it’s now called). Then Coventry work out a deal with Wasps only to find them going into administration and therefore all agreements now being up in the air and in need of renegotiation. If that isn’t resolved quickly Coventry may well have nowhere to play and although not their fault the FL will likely be forced to eject them from the league (or at least the Championship) as you can’t have a side unable to play home games anywhere and therefore building up a real “congestion” of games.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 28 Oct 2022 18:01

YorkshireRoyal99
Nameless
YorkshireRoyal99

We had a rugby club as tenants. Coventry are tenants of a rugby club. Can you spot the difference ?
Coventry have not ‘tried blaming’ anyone. The ground was unfit due to other uses, over which Coventry had no control. Coventry do not maintain the pitch any more than Irish maintained our pitch !

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 28 Oct 2022 18:51

YorkshireRoyal99
Nameless
YorkshireRoyal99

I'm sure Mrs Malaprop will have a solution for the extenuating circumstances

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 28 Oct 2022 18:58

Nameless
YorkshireRoyal99
Nameless

We had a rugby club as tenants. Coventry are tenants of a rugby club. Can you spot the difference ?
Coventry have not ‘tried blaming’ anyone. The ground was unfit due to other uses, over which Coventry had no control. Coventry do not maintain the pitch any more than Irish maintained our pitch !

The point is both teams used the pitch for different purposes. Coventry have also tried blaming Wasps for the state of the pitch at the beginning of the season. Coventry have control over where they play their games though. They knew there was a possibility that they could have games postponed that is out of their hands, that's down to them for deciding to play their home fixtures there. If you don't want that to happen, you either a) build a new stadium or b) find somewhere else to play. That is, by all intense and purposes, down to Coventry.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 28 Oct 2022 19:09

YorkshireRoyal99
Nameless
YorkshireRoyal99

The point is both teams used the pitch for different purposes. Coventry have also tried blaming Wasps for the state of the pitch at the beginning of the season. Coventry have control over where they play their games though. They knew there was a possibility that they could have games postponed that is out of their hands, that's down to them for deciding to play their home fixtures there. If you don't want that to happen, you either a) build a new stadium or b) find somewhere else to play. That is, by all intense and purposes, down to Coventry.

No idea where your logic is going.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 28 Oct 2022 19:27

YorkshireRoyal99 Can't understand that one with Wigan then - I guess only time will tell to see what happens.

In regard to Coventry's embargo, is this the same one that they were placed under in 2021 when they were one of 10 clubs to be placed under an embargo? I'm being lazy and not looking at the regulations that's all.

I'm sure after the Bolton and Bury situation rules were brought in around points deductions if wages weren.t payed on time

The Cube

by The Cube » 28 Oct 2022 20:54

Any time an organisation fails to pay wages on time it's a sign that there is something seriously wrong. Even when they come back with some platitudes about an administrative error, you just know that there is more going on.

Exhibit A, April 2019 - Reading fail to pay salaries, and blame it on a Hong Kong bank holiday. People on here said it was no big deal.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 29 Oct 2022 00:12

The Cube Any time an organisation fails to pay wages on time it's a sign that there is something seriously wrong. Even when they come back with some platitudes about an administrative error, you just know that there is more going on.

Exhibit A, April 2019 - Reading fail to pay salaries, and blame it on a Hong Kong bank holiday. People on here said it was no big deal.

????
Even if Reading weren't able to pay the players because of financial difficulties in the background, that has nothing to do with FFP. You can be awash with cash, and still break FFP - equally you can be in danger of going into administration, and be wholly within your FFP spending limits

It was no big deal, was sorted out quickly, and did not recur.

I suppose you could argue that if somebody in admin is unable to read a bank holiday calendar, they are likely to misjudge how much to spend on a player. But I think it's a tad unlikely the same people were involved

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 29 Oct 2022 12:59

West Brom already 2-0 down home to Sheffield, look dreadful at the back.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 29 Oct 2022 13:12

Mid Sussex Royal West Brom already 2-0 down home to Sheffield, look dreadful at the back.

Their continuing failure makes Reading’s “attempt” against them look in a class of it’s own! Thank god Reading are playing Burnley today…

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 29 Oct 2022 13:15

I see Brizzle are back to their erratic best and currently beating Swansea at home.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 29 Oct 2022 13:24

If ‘Udders beat Millwall (not impossible) West Brom will be bottom *

Gourlay’s plan appears to,be working :shock:

* assuming no major comeback

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 29 Oct 2022 13:49

They look every bit relegation fodder, they haven`t laid a finger on united

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Oct 2022 13:50

Some seriously impressive mismanagement to get that group of players to perform so badly

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 29 Oct 2022 13:58

I don't get how we made West Brom look like prime Brazil

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 29 Oct 2022 14:00

tidus_mi2 I don't get how we made West Brom look like prime Brazil

We didn't, They were average at best, we were dreadful.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 29 Oct 2022 14:08

Ndiaye is a seriously good player

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 29 Oct 2022 14:14

Franchise FC If ‘Udders beat Millwall (not impossible) West Brom will be bottom *

Gourlay’s plan appears to,be working :shock:

* assuming no major comeback

Under performing players on Premier League salaries and long contracts warming the bench or being useless. All sounds a bit familier.
Bet the managers on a packet as well.

17303 posts