by Hound » 09 Mar 2023 13:00

Makes no sense to me on how that’s allowed

What is ‘GF’? I may have a look myself

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Rival Watch

by Stranded » 09 Mar 2023 13:04

Probably find that it is an overlooked loophole that the EFL will look to close.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Mar 2023 13:14

Stranded Probably find that it is an overlooked loophole that the EFL will look to close.

Sounds about right. Let Stoke get away with it then close the loophole. Didn’t they do the same with the selling the stadium to the owner nonsense that clubs (inc Reading) were doing?

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 09 Mar 2023 13:31

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/cardiff-citys-finances-laid-bare-26417539 Cardiff report £29m loss for 21/22 season with Vincent Tan continuing to provide loans.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Mar 2023 13:34

Hound Makes no sense to me on how that’s allowed

General Football.

It was either the sack race or weekend football threads I think... outside chance of financial crisis.

One of the last few posts.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 09 Mar 2023 14:19

Stranded Probably find that it is an overlooked loophole that the EFL will look to close.

Given that all of football is in thrall to the betting companies I'm guessing being owned by one gets you a pass?

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 09 Mar 2023 14:40

Stranded
Snowflake Royal Just seen an article on GF that answers everyone's questions on why Stoke are ok on FFP.

They posted a profit on last season because their owner wrote off £120m of debt, otherwise they'd have lost another £18m+ and presumably lost points.

One of the rare cases of an owner writing off debt, not just loading it on.

So there you go all you fans of Dai... seeing as we owe him most our debt, we maybe could have escaped points deductions and embargos if he just wrote off debt. Not such a great guy is he.

I'm amazed that is actually allowed - a club can lose 13m per year that is covered by the owner - so if an owner is then paying off 120m of debt, then it has pumped in more than the allowable for that period surely?

It is debt that gets clubs into trouble with FFP (P&S now?). So if a club is £120 million in debt and the owner writes off those debts and does not require them to paid back at any time, then the club is debt free, keeping the EFL happy.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 09 Mar 2023 15:01

The Royal Forester
Stranded
Snowflake Royal Just seen an article on GF that answers everyone's questions on why Stoke are ok on FFP.

They posted a profit on last season because their owner wrote off £120m of debt, otherwise they'd have lost another £18m+ and presumably lost points.

So there you go all you fans of Dai... seeing as we owe him most our debt, we maybe could have escaped points deductions and embargos if he just wrote off debt. Not such a great guy is he.

I'm amazed that is actually allowed - a club can lose 13m per year that is covered by the owner - so if an owner is then paying off 120m of debt, then it has pumped in more than the allowable for that period surely?

It is debt that gets clubs into trouble with FFP (P&S now?). So if a club is £120 million in debt and the owner writes off those debts and does not require them to paid back at any time, then the club is debt free, keeping the EFL happy.

Yep, looks like you are right. If debt is written off it is classed as a "Football Fortune Income" and as such appears to be permissible. So in short, an owner can spend as much as they want as long as they are willing to write off the money they've pumped in. At least I think that is what the regulation states.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 09 Mar 2023 15:06

Stranded
The Royal Forester
Stranded

Yep, looks like you are right. If debt is written off it is classed as a "Football Fortune Income" and as such appears to be permissible. So in short, an owner can spend as much as they want as long as they are willing to write off the money they've pumped in. At least I think that is what the regulation states.

If correct then surely that should've given Mr Dai a way out and one that I suspect he could've afforded. Would probably work out cheaper in the end than the financial consequences of EFL sanctions and trying to avoid relegation.

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 09 Mar 2023 16:22

Snowflake Royal

General Football.

It was either the sack race or weekend football threads I think... outside chance of financial crisis.

Were you referring to my post in the "Generic clubs in finanical crisis" thread Ian?

Interesting summary of the state of Championship clubs who have so far published their accounts for this season

https://www.football365.com/news/opinion-championship-clubs-struggling-financially-not-only-issue

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Mar 2023 16:44

Brum Royal
Snowflake Royal

General Football.

Were you referring to my post in the "Generic clubs in finanical crisis" thread Ian?

Interesting summary of the state of Championship clubs who have so far published their accounts for this season

https://www.football365.com/news/opinion-championship-clubs-struggling-financially-not-only-issue

Yes. Badly, but Hound would have got there in the end. :lol:

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 09 Mar 2023 21:01

The Royal Forester
Stranded

I think it just makes an even bigger mockery of FFP/P&S. Fair enough it's meant that Stoke have cleared their debts, but it's also an act of "financial doping" because they've essentially made an "investment" to clear themselves of any wrongdoing towards P&S regulations.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Mar 2023 21:25

Snowflake Royal
Brum Royal
Snowflake Royal General Football.

Interesting if depressing reading

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Mar 2023 22:52

Hound
Snowflake Royal
Brum Royal

Interesting if depressing Reading

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 Mar 2023 11:19

Snowflake Royal
Hound
Snowflake Royal Yes. Badly, but Hound would have got there in the end. :lol:

Interesting if depressing Reading

Not sure we’re very interesting tbh

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 10 Mar 2023 12:33

Surely you can't just put the losses down as debt then pay them off, why would Man City even be in trouble right now if they could just do that (Premier League rules might be different I guess), why would the Watford owners be using all these dodgy methods to get around FFP and involving Udinese if they could just do that?

I tried to read the FFP rules but I really hate it because it's written in legal jargon.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 10 Mar 2023 12:40

Stoke v Blackburn tonight for anyone wanting to keep tabs on how good Blackburn are at the moment. Also give Rovers an extra few hours recovery time for PI to moan about after the game on Wednesday. Hoping the game tonight returns a few red cards and niggly knocks to reduce Blackburn's options.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 10 Mar 2023 20:49

Blackburn seem to have plenty of games like this where they're really oxf*rd terrible.

Maybe they're like us when we last got to the play-offs where we never really blew teams away but just kept putting points on the bored and had some disasters.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 10 Mar 2023 20:50

Sjoke currently 2 up…Laurent on good form for them recently, and with an assist for their second already

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 Mar 2023 21:57

Laurents been on fire since he was linked back here

Stoke finding some form though, all seems to have clicked

17303 posts