Rival Watch

17378 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Rival Watch

by Hound » 01 May 2023 18:49

You could balance that by saying we didn’t need a DCM against Wigan. Loum has scored a header from a set piece this season. Azeez has played wing back. You don’t need evidence to know if Sarr is a good emergency forward - you just try it and hope something happens

Point is if we’d really wanted to gamble to win - which it will turn out we needed to do - there were options to do so which we didn’t take. I be just pulled those ones out of the top of my head, it could have been a number of variations. We played very safe

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 01 May 2023 18:52

My particular favourite is sending a keeper forward (someone with very little heading practise) but then leaving a defender on the half way line.

The keeper can touch the ball in his box, the defender can't. The keeper will have no match experience in a shooting position and no experience of a print headed goals.

If you are going to leave one person back to prevent the open goal break away tap in, that person should be the goal keeper.

You should only send a keeper forward in the dieing seconds of a final match, and only then if every other ojrfoed player is in the box too

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 01 May 2023 18:57

From Despair To Where?
Royal_jimmy Well that's it. Huddersfield only need a point and our fate is sealed. Who's returning their Huddersfield tickets?

Is that what proper fans do? Return tickets because we're not winning?

What's the point when I can save money for next season and go to games that count and that we could and probably will be winning/drawing

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 01 May 2023 18:58

Greatwesternline My particular favourite is sending a keeper forward (someone with very little heading practise) but then leaving a defender on the half way line.

The keeper can touch the ball in his box, the defender can't. The keeper will have no match experience in a shooting position and no experience of a print headed goals.

If you are going to leave one person back to prevent the open goal break away tap in, that person should be the goal keeper.

You should only send a keeper forward in the dieing seconds of a final match, and only then if every other ojrfoed player is in the box too

To be fair we did that on Saturday, it was a late corner, not sure if it was the one we equalised from or after that but everyone went forward, Lumley was on the halfway line.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 01 May 2023 19:01

Greatwesternline
Hound
Snowflake Royal Yeah absolutely no sign of aiming for a draw at all. Probably amongst the most possession, crosses, corners and shots we've had all season.

Not aiming for but accepting one. And reasons I think that above

And we really should have the most possession etc when we are at home against a team who are both rubbish and already relegated basically. We still only ended up with 57% and allowed them 11 shots at goal

I do think if that selection and performance took place under ince he’d have been crucified

I agree had what happened yesterday happened under Ince he would have been lampooned.

Long as a winger when all he's really good for is playing on the shoulder of the defender of that. It might have made sense playing Lond up top, having someone with his experience for the big occasion, but as a winger he was never going to affect the game.

I'm not saying Ince would have down better. I just think Hunt didn't do well.

I do think tho, this probably wouldn't have happened if Carroll uses his head for a free header at the near post to make it 2-0, rather than use his hand and cons us to a likely draw, and to rule himself out of the 2/3 final games.

The main issue for me was playing Long as a right winger when there were two players much quicker and also better suited to the role sat on the bench. Ridiculous decision to not start Azeez. Actually think the club have missed Carroll’s presence at set pieces as they just don’t seem to have worked on any plays without him - another managerial screw up! Hunt’s time is really more of a squelch than a bounce.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 01 May 2023 19:02

Our supporters are way too tolerant of the shit football we've played the past few years. Other clubs would be protest and confronting the players

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 01 May 2023 19:06

Why is everyone assuming we are going to win loads of games and it will be great fun going to Fleetwood? We don’t even have a manager. We have a handful of players under contract most will be sold because we can’t afford there wages in this league. It’s going to be a miserable season if we finish in the top half it will be a miracle.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 01 May 2023 19:08

Royal_jimmy Our supporters are way too tolerant of the shit football we've played the past few years. Other clubs would be protest and confronting the players

Have you protested? How many players have you personally confronted? Not saying you haven't btw, just interested to hear about all you have done personally.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 01 May 2023 19:09

Sutekh
Greatwesternline
Hound
Not aiming for but accepting one. And reasons I think that above

And we really should have the most possession etc when we are at home against a team who are both rubbish and already relegated basically. We still only ended up with 57% and allowed them 11 shots at goal

I do think if that selection and performance took place under ince he’d have been crucified

I agree had what happened yesterday happened under Ince he would have been lampooned.

Long as a winger when all he's really good for is playing on the shoulder of the defender of that. It might have made sense playing Lond up top, having someone with his experience for the big occasion, but as a winger he was never going to affect the game.

I'm not saying Ince would have down better. I just think Hunt didn't do well.

I do think tho, this probably wouldn't have happened if Carroll uses his head for a free header at the near post to make it 2-0, rather than use his hand and cons us to a likely draw, and to rule himself out of the 2/3 final games.

The main issue for me was playing Long as a right winger when there were two players much quicker and also better suited to the role sat on the bench. Ridiculous decision to not start Azeez. Actually think the club have missed Carroll’s presence at set pieces as they just don’t seem to have worked on any plays without him - another managerial screw up! Hunt’s time is really more of a squelch than a bounce.

To be fair to Noel Hunt, I'm sure he's spent lots of time watching and working with Azeez so probably knows his strengths and weaknesses pretty well. I reckon Azeez wouldn't look anywhere near as effective starting games against defenders with fresh legs. I also suspect they have worked on set plays without Carroll but sadly the delivery against Wigan was too often lacking in accuracy and quality.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 May 2023 19:09

Jackson Corner Why is everyone assuming we are going to win loads of games and it will be great fun going to Fleetwood? We don’t even have a manager. We have a handful of players under contract most will be sold because we can’t afford there wages in this league. It’s going to be a miserable season if we finish in the top half it will be a miracle.

All our recently contracted players are on crap wages already. We’ve not a bad side if we don’t make a single signing

We’ll be top half

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 01 May 2023 19:25

Greatwesternline How many of our starting 11 / squad of players with game time on Saturday are still under contract for next season. I fear that may be our downfall.

Players only fight to survive relegation if they themselves don't want to play in the league below. Good proportion of our side literally have nothing riding on Saturday's game

Four of them - Yiadom, Holmes, Sarr, McIntyre. I can see us renewing the contracts of NGW, Hoilett and Long if we get relegated (if the club wants to); Lumley's contract at Middlesbrough expires in the summer, so I can see us signing him on a free too. It's not unrealistic most of that starting XI will still be with us next season.

Blackbag

by Blackbag » 01 May 2023 20:07

Royal_jimmy Our supporters are way too tolerant of the shit football we've played the past few years. Other clubs would be protest and confronting the players

What good would that do? Football is full of ups and downs. Why start crying and protesting and confronting players how ridiculous. We’ll be back might not be for a while but that’s the game.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 01 May 2023 20:11

“Confront the players” fukk off DD

Like P Ince, the (majority of) players won’t be here next season, they knew that months ago.

‘Confront’ them by all means….they’ll just laugh in your face.
Last edited by AthleticoSpizz on 01 May 2023 20:12, edited 1 time in total.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 May 2023 20:12

Didn’t they do that at peterboro last year?

MR.CYNICAL

by MR.CYNICAL » 01 May 2023 20:16

Rivals don't matter any more, the fat lady is about to sing

MR.CYNICAL

by MR.CYNICAL » 01 May 2023 20:19

We are the masters of our own downfall at the end of the day, can't blame anyone but ourselves.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 01 May 2023 20:48

Oh stop being so cynical.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 01 May 2023 20:52

Boro down to 10 men

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 01 May 2023 20:52

Clyde1998
Greatwesternline How many of our starting 11 / squad of players with game time on Saturday are still under contract for next season. I fear that may be our downfall.

Players only fight to survive relegation if they themselves don't want to play in the league below. Good proportion of our side literally have nothing riding on Saturday's game

Four of them - Yiadom, Holmes, Sarr, McIntyre. I can see us renewing the contracts of NGW, Hoilett and Long if we get relegated (if the club wants to); Lumley's contract at Middlesbrough expires in the summer, so I can see us signing him on a free too. It's not unrealistic most of that starting XI will still be with us next season.

I can see Holmes moving on, Lumley may want to stay in the Championship towards the bottom end but may end up sticking with us and I don't want us holding onto Long and Hoilett personally, ageing and going backwards. NGW I wouldn't be bothered by either way in a lower division.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 01 May 2023 20:53

genome Boro down to 10 men

Stop making up unsubstantiated rumours.

17378 posts