Rival Watch

17303 posts
Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Rival Watch

by Stranded » 31 Dec 2023 08:05

Sutekh
Royals and Racers Fleetwood sack Johnson.

Please let them want Selles.

Looking like Charlie Adam.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 31 Dec 2023 14:39

Stranded
Sutekh
Royals and Racers Fleetwood sack Johnson.

Please let them want Selles.

Looking like Charlie Adam.

Confrimed

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 02 Jan 2024 17:33

Cheltenham have lost six players, who return to their parent clubs after their loans expired: https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1742138671522848919

Owen Bevan (Bournemouth) - due to an injury
Luciano D'Auria-Henry (Fulham)
Oli Hammond (Nottm Forest)
Jovan Malcolm (West Brom)
Cameron Peupion (Brighton)
Josh Williams (Birmingham)

I think only Hammond featured against us, coming off the bench. I'm not sure any of them, aside Bevan, was a regular for them. Massively reduces their squad depth though.

dontbedaft

by dontbedaft » 02 Jan 2024 17:50

Doesn't it free up slots for them to roll the dice with other loanees who might prove more impactful?

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 02 Jan 2024 19:31

dontbedaft Doesn't it free up slots for them to roll the dice with other loanees who might prove more impactful?

The article on their website suggests it 'frees up funds'. They did also change their manager in late-September(?), so it may also be the current manager doesn't want any of them.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 02 Jan 2024 20:34

Fingers crossed Oxford lose 3/3 up next

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 02 Jan 2024 20:35

Clyde1998 Cheltenham have lost six players, who return to their parent clubs after their loans expired: https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1742138671522848919

I think only Hammond featured against us, coming off the bench. I'm not sure any of them, aside Bevan, was a regular for them. Massively reduces their squad depth though.

They all sound shit who won't play above league one

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 03 Jan 2024 09:35

Royal_jimmy
Clyde1998 Cheltenham have lost six players, who return to their parent clubs after their loans expired: https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1742138671522848919

They all sound shit who won't play above league one

They chose to send them back so that they can free up resources for 2 or 3 better quality players.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 03 Jan 2024 10:18

I think Cheltenham will survive. One team currently between 19th and 13th will go down having looked fairly safe.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 03 Jan 2024 10:39

WestYorksRoyal I think Cheltenham will survive. One team currently between 19th and 13th will go down having looked fairly safe.

I agree - if I were a betting man and assuming we get no more points deductions - massive IF under current ownership, then I would put money on both us and Cheltenham getting out of trouble. Cheltenham as they really are fighting under their new boss and us simply because we have too many goals in the team - only failed to score in 5 games and scored in every game since the Charlton debacle.

Fleetwood & Carlisle will drop. Exeter have been in freefall but seem to have slowed that a little - think Burton will slide in and based on current form, think Lincoln will drop like a stone and are my surprise shout to drop - lost all 4 games over Xmas and only got a point off us due to an OG before that.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 03 Jan 2024 10:50

Stranded
WestYorksRoyal I think Cheltenham will survive. One team currently between 19th and 13th will go down having looked fairly safe.

I agree - if I were a betting man and assuming we get no more points deductions - massive IF under current ownership, then I would put money on both us and Cheltenham getting out of trouble. Cheltenham as they really are fighting under their new boss and us simply because we have too many goals in the team - only failed to score in 5 games and scored in every game since the Charlton debacle.

Fleetwood & Carlisle will drop. Exeter have been in freefall but seem to have slowed that a little - think Burton will slide in and based on current form, think Lincoln will drop like a stone and are my surprise shout to drop - lost all 4 games over Xmas and only got a point off us due to an OG before that.

I think we'll get a 1 point immediate deduction at most, with a bigger one suspended. Nobody has had points deductions for HMRC before so there is no precedent to follow. When Wigan were used as a precedent for wages last year, it started with a suspended sentence. I expect the EFL will be pushing for a big immediate punishment but the independence panel will soften it.

So, if we can pay HMRC from now until the end of the season, us and Cheltenham should survive which means plenty of teams need to look over their shoulder.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 03 Jan 2024 11:01

It's certainly too early to tell who will drop, although agree that Fleetwood and Carlisle look likely candidates. But the picture can change quickly. It's pretty tight in the bottom half of the league and whilst ourselves and Cheltenham continue to pick up points, it drags a lot of teams back in to it.

I think it will come down to who hits a bad bit of form in the final 6-10 games of the season. You could have made a case for Wycombe recently but they managed to nick a win on NYD coupled together with a few draws with has steered them clear. Charlton are 4 defeats on the spin, Shrewsbury had lost 4 consecutive games before winning on NYD etc. I'd expect most bottom half teams will be wary of the drop for most of the 2nd half of the season.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Jan 2024 12:22

I would like us, Cheltenham, Cambridge and Exeter to survive.

Hoping Wycombe, Burton, Fleetwood and Carlisle drop.

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 04 Jan 2024 13:16

Someone I know who follows Carlisle says they’re making a fair few signings already following their takeover. I hope us not being able to sign anyone isn’t going to bite us badly.

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 04 Jan 2024 15:14

TiagoIlori Someone I know who follows Carlisle says they’re making a fair few signings already following their takeover. I hope us not being able to sign anyone isn’t going to bite us badly.

Hi Tiago, i don't think making signings this window is our priority. Our priority should be keeping the current group of players at Reading FC!!
This current group has proved recently that they are more than capable of keeping us up and the longer they stay together the better they will get.
The only player i would possibly let go is Vicker's and thats only if we can get a good price plus any future incentives out of the deal. Vicker's is a great talent but he's struggling to get into the current first eleven so wouldn't be a huge loss.

Saying that, we should have two spots in the squad what with Ballard and Ejaria not being here now and a couple of experience pro's wouldn't go amiss.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 04 Jan 2024 15:28

TiagoIlori Someone I know who follows Carlisle says they’re making a fair few signings already following their takeover. I hope us not being able to sign anyone isn’t going to bite us badly.

They have broken their transfer record signing (apparently 300k) from Harrogate Town - he replaces Luke Plange who has returned to Palace. 27 yo striker who has spent most of his career at L2 level or lower - 70 goals in 244 games across his career according to Transfermarkt

Also brought in Harrison Neal from Sheff Utd - struggled for game time on loan at Stevenage this season but apparently did well at Barrow last season

Finally loaned in Sean Grehen from Palace - CB who has yet to make a first team apperance in England. 1 game for Bohemians.

No idea if any of these are any good at all but they must think it improves them but the first 2 look like good signings for a L2 promotion push.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 04 Jan 2024 15:34

A batch of signings in January rarely works. 18/19 for us is the only success I remember, and even then they only hit their stride in Feb/March which is understandable. Plus I doubt Carlisle are getting in Emi Martinez.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Jan 2024 15:57

Really not interested in us making any signings at all. If we lose someone impt then maybe but otherwise would be happy to see no movement at all

At a push an experienced back up for Smith and at a real push a left midfielder. Otherwise we’ve plenty of depth as it is

Carlisle rolling the dice a bit. Suppose they need to

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Jan 2024 15:59

WestYorksRoyal A batch of signings in January rarely works. 18/19 for us is the only success I remember, and even then they only hit their stride in Feb/March which is understandable. Plus I doubt Carlisle are getting in Emi Martinez.

In recent times - guess Ince did ok. Casadei was quality but the right player at the wrong time

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 04 Jan 2024 16:00

Stranded

They have broken their transfer record signing (apparently 300k) from Harrogate Town - he replaces Luke Plange who has returned to Palace. 27 yo striker who has spent most of his career at L2 level or lower - 70 goals in 244 games across his career according to Transfermarkt

Also brought in Harrison Neal from Sheff Utd - struggled for game time on loan at Stevenage this season but apparently did well at Barrow last season

Finally loaned in Sean Grehen from Palace - CB who has yet to make a first team apperance in England. 1 game for Bohemians.

No idea if any of these are any good at all but they must think it improves them but the first 2 look like good signings for a L2 promotion push.

Hi Stranded, The Harrogate striker is Luke Armstrong, scored 30 in 100 games i think. I used to live in Harrogate and still have friends their and he was very well liked up there and is a traditional lower league forward who is big and strong and puts himself about.
Wrexham tried to sign him last minute in the Summer however, the paperwork didn't go through in time and this caused a fair bit of controversy and the fans turned against him a bit.
Its a big step up for him but he will score goals, however i really don't think it'll be enough as the rest of there team looks pretty poor to say the least.

17303 posts