Rival Watch

17303 posts
Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Rival Watch

by Zip » 12 Dec 2022 21:52

Stranded
Royals and Racers Won’t it be great if West Brom get relegated- 1-0 down at Sunderland

2-1 up in injury time. 4th win in a row if it stays like this.

More chance of a play-off push than relegation.

Just about to say this. They were never going down. They just may end up going up.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 13 Dec 2022 07:44

Coventry have a new deal with the Fraser group to use the stadium for the rest of the season and are in discussions for a longer term agreement.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 13 Dec 2022 08:28

Royals and Racers Coventry have a new deal with the Fraser group to use the stadium for the rest of the season and are in discussions for a longer term agreement.

Well, consider me absolutely shocked by this development.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 13 Dec 2022 08:33

Stranded
Royals and Racers Coventry have a new deal with the Fraser group to use the stadium for the rest of the season and are in discussions for a longer term agreement.

Well, consider me absolutely shocked by this development.

My flabber has never been more gasted

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 13 Dec 2022 08:58

Sutekh
Zip
YorkshireRoyal99
Agree, although I think that's where we are as a team really at the moment. A team (and style) more suited to the Championship. How many "technical" players do we really have? Ejaria, Joao and Fornah? Maybe include Rahman on that list as well?

Ejaria rightly comes in for criticism for his inconsistency, Joao likewise really and doesn't seem to suit our style a great deal but obviously always has a goal in him and is well-liked, Fornah for me has gone a bit stale and can be a bit slow with the ball but I actually do like him, think there is potential there to be a good player but doesn't do much in the final third and Rahman divides opinion, probably rightfully so. The point being, these players appear to be a bit inconsistent in our side, probably partly because the way we are right now probably doesn't suit their individual style/talent as much as it could.

Think we are built to be more physical these days. Even those who do not have that much strength in their physique, say Hendrick, are still more industrious-like rather than technical, although keeps the ball reasonably well.

A far cry from when we had Swift last season who was obviously a technical player and some others in the past like Illori at the back as well.

Yep there was no doubt Bowen saw us as too soft and brought in more physical players who are suited to the Championship. We were soft last season with the likes of Swift and Halilovic very poor defensively.

A point also proven by the fact the club have had a player or two suspended this season for yellow card collections :shock:

You'd never think it would be a positive for us to have players suspended but I think it does go to show we have a bit more bite about us and are far less of soft touch like what we were under Pauno.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 13 Dec 2022 09:08

Hound
Zip
YorkshireRoyal99
Agree, although I think that's where we are as a team really at the moment. A team (and style) more suited to the Championship. How many "technical" players do we really have? Ejaria, Joao and Fornah? Maybe include Rahman on that list as well?

Ejaria rightly comes in for criticism for his inconsistency, Joao likewise really and doesn't seem to suit our style a great deal but obviously always has a goal in him and is well-liked, Fornah for me has gone a bit stale and can be a bit slow with the ball but I actually do like him, think there is potential there to be a good player but doesn't do much in the final third and Rahman divides opinion, probably rightfully so. The point being, these players appear to be a bit inconsistent in our side, probably partly because the way we are right now probably doesn't suit their individual style/talent as much as it could.

Think we are built to be more physical these days. Even those who do not have that much strength in their physique, say Hendrick, are still more industrious-like rather than technical, although keeps the ball reasonably well.

A far cry from when we had Swift last season who was obviously a technical player and some others in the past like Illori at the back as well.

Yep there was no doubt Bowen saw us as too soft and brought in more physical players who are suited to the Championship. We were soft last season with the likes of Swift and Halilovic very poor defensively.

Bowen and ince have been very practical I think. The technically gifted players cost money and we’ve been able to pick up big physical guys like Loum and Sarr on the cheap

We must have one of the tallest sides in the champ and we’ve adapted our play for it. I’d like us to be a bit prettier at times but can’t argue with how effective it’s been - and it’s quite possible with the players back from injury we could push top 10 - a remarkable achievement considering

I think the only issue we'd run into in the long-term is the resale value of our players. It's obviously not an exact science but, the top teams in this league or lower PL teams tend to spend a lot of money on these technical players. When you look at some of the players who have moved up, you've got the likes of Olise, Webster, Bellingham, Eze etc that are technical players that moved onto bigger clubs for higher fees.

I think in order for a lot of clubs at this level to be sustainable, you do need to move some of your top assets on for big fees in order to comply with FFP and we are a club who are part of the food chain where, if a PL club comes calling for one of our players, we've probably got little ground to stand on re matching wages, playing at a higher level etc at the moment (ala Moore's situation with Brighton years ago). That might be what we need to be doing, I think it's where we fell short initially before our recent FFP issues.

Having said that, given our wage restrictions, the likes of Ince, Sarr and co aren't going be top earners at this level and we've got them on long-term deals, so we shouldn't in theory run into many problems there. We may do if we start offering these players inflated contracts in the next year or so, which we may well do.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 13 Dec 2022 09:19

Yes agree it’s a fairly short term approach made out of necessity

Be interesting to see where we go next year. We’ve a few players currently signed on (Mbengue, NGW, Azeez, K Ehib) who I think have the potential to sell on but we’d need to secure them again first and then play them

I’d think we’d try to evolve a little and there’d be less Long/Carroll/Dann and/Hoilett type signings and a few more investments in younger players - ideally scanning the lower leagues imo

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 13 Dec 2022 09:30

Agree, I think a lot of the signings are short term to fill the gaps necessary. Obviously Carroll, Dann and Long aren't going to be lasting much longer beyond this season, all 3 could well be gone by the summer. Hoilett the same as well.

Think the academy seems our best route really along with players from the lower leagues. Holmes has attracted attention and Forest may come in for him again this summer. His wages won't be massive, but a long-term deal is there and we could comfortably secure a few million for him. TMac could be another we move on if he continues to improve and then we've still got the likes of Dorsett and Abbey coming through, not to mention Mbengue, NGW and Azeez already at the club.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 13 Dec 2022 09:32

Hound Yes agree it’s a fairly short term approach made out of necessity

Be interesting to see where we go next year. We’ve a few players currently signed on (Mbengue, NGW, Azeez, K Ehib) who I think have the potential to sell on but we’d need to secure them again first and then play them

I’d think we’d try to evolve a little and there’d be less Long/Carroll/Dann and/Hoilett type signings and a few more investments in younger players - ideally scanning the lower leagues imo

That will be the plan but it will be a 2 or 3 year plan, we are unlikely to nor should we suddenly rush out and sign a load of investment signings next summer. 2 or 3 coming in, alongside getting those you mention tied down then supplement with the likes of Carroll or experienced loanees in the mould of a Hendrick.

Free agents are going to be key next year again but the difference is we should be able to compete in the market rather than fishing for leftovers. All this assuming we do stay up.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 13 Dec 2022 09:37

Stranded
Hound Yes agree it’s a fairly short term approach made out of necessity

That will be the plan but it will be a 2 or 3 year plan, we are unlikely to nor should we suddenly rush out and sign a load of investment signings next summer. 2 or 3 coming in, alongside getting those you mention tied down then supplement with the likes of Carroll or experienced loanees in the mould of a Hendrick.

Free agents are going to be key next year again but the difference is we should be able to compete in the market rather than fishing for leftovers. All this assuming we do stay up.

The embargo has almost done us a favour in allowing us to strip the wage bill right back. Lose Moore and Joao from it as well next season most likely

We should definitely be able to compete - in a nice position that we can hopefully look at people we really want to come in and go that little bit extra to get them if we need, whilst hopefully staying sensible and building on the solid base we currently have

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 13 Dec 2022 09:40

1. Mark Robins - 5y 9m - Coventry City
  2. Gary Rowett - 3y 2m - Millwall
  3. Nigel Pearson - 1y 10m - Bristol City
  4. Russell Martin - 1y 4m - Swansea City
  5. Dean Smith - 1y 4m - Norwich City
  6. Paul Heckingbottom - 1y 1m - Sheffield United
  7. Ryan Lowe - 1y - Preston North End
  8. Paul Ince - 10m - Reading
  9. Jon Dahl Tomassen - 180d - Blackburn Rovers
  10. Vincent Kompany - 180d - Burnley

PI is now the 8th longest serving Championship manager (and 41st longest serving overall) following the departures of Leam Richardson from Wigan and Nathan Jones from Luton.

Newest managers in the Championship are Neil Critchley at QPR and Kolo Toure at Wigan.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 13 Dec 2022 10:05

Hound
Zip
YorkshireRoyal99

Bowen and ince have been very practical I think. The technically gifted players cost money and we’ve been able to pick up big physical guys like Loum and Sarr on the cheap

We must have one of the tallest sides in the champ and we’ve adapted our play for it. I’d like us to be a bit prettier at times but can’t argue with how effective it’s been - and it’s quite possible with the players back from injury we could push top 10 - a remarkable achievement considering

In fairness, we’ve tried to be “pretty” (in the loosest of terms) for years and for the majority of the time, it hasn’t worked

Do think part of the issue was trying to fit too many technical players into the side at once, there’s never a need to fit the likes of Olise, Swift and Ejaria all into the side, however “talented”they are

Ince has done well in playing to the squad’s strengths, using a system based on the players as opposed to rigidly sticking to an unsuited system. Distributing from the back with Morrison and Moore etc, didn’t make sense. Agreed we’re rather over reliant on set pieces without creating too much from open play which is why I’m a big advocate for giving Long more of a go who is more able to make a chance from nothing

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 13 Dec 2022 10:50

Zip
Stranded
Royals and Racers Won’t it be great if West Brom get relegated- 1-0 down at Sunderland

2-1 up in injury time. 4th win in a row if it stays like this.

More chance of a play-off push than relegation.

Just about to say this. They were never going down. They just may end up going up.

With Swift and Wallace in their midfield it has been surprising how much they have struggled.
Apparently they have been creating chances all season but not taking them.
With Dike now playing I also expect them to climb the table but hopefully we will slow down that climb in a couple of weeks' time.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 13 Dec 2022 11:21

URZZZZ
Hound
Zip

In fairness, we’ve tried to be “pretty” (in the loosest of terms) for years and for the majority of the time, it hasn’t worked

Do think part of the issue was trying to fit too many technical players into the side at once, there’s never a need to fit the likes of Olise, Swift and Ejaria all into the side, however “talented”they are

Ince has done well in playing to the squad’s strengths, using a system based on the players as opposed to rigidly sticking to an unsuited system. Distributing from the back with Morrison and Moore etc, didn’t make sense. Agreed we’re rather over reliant on set pieces without creating too much from open play which is why I’m a big advocate for giving Long more of a go who is more able to make a chance from nothing

I think one of the biggest missing pieces we have in our squad at the moment in a real creative force. Before the season started, it seemed like we needed to fill this void and were hoping that Omari Hutchinson would have been the player to do this, obviously he was never signed and then outside of this we were hoping that Ejaria could add the consistency to his game and become this creator for us, but that hasn't happened for various reasons either.

That's probably a major factor as to why we don't create loads from open play and why we play like we do. It's effective and it's working for us this season so I'm happy with it, especially given the circumstances. Hopefully, outside of restrictions next summer, we can look to recruit a player or two who can be more of a creator for us, but without losing too much of the spine that we have now.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 13 Dec 2022 11:25

The midfield still isn’t quite working imo

I think once we get a more settled and a better back 3 (my choice Mbengue, Holmes and Sarr) we’ll have a bit more confidence to push the WBs a little further on to support

Loum/Fornah/Hendrick just aren’t quite clicking. If they can then hopefully we can free up Ince a little more and hopefully get down the wings and a few more crosses in

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 14 Dec 2022 13:42

Hound The midfield still isn’t quite working imo

I think once we get a more settled and a better back 3 (my choice Mbengue, Holmes and Sarr) we’ll have a bit more confidence to push the WBs a little further on to support

Loum/Fornah/Hendrick just aren’t quite clicking. If they can then hopefully we can free up Ince a little more and hopefully get down the wings and a few more crosses in

Been quietly impressed by Hendrick. Takes more flak than he deserves IMO. Not a flashy player but does the simple stuff well, passes and moves into space

Would agree with Loum and Fornah. After promising starts, have both tailed off. Would like to see us go forward with a Hendrick and Hutchinson midfield (if he’s ever fit)

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 14 Dec 2022 14:19

URZZZZ

Been quietly impressed by Hendrick. Takes more flak than he deserves IMO. Not a flashy player but does the simple stuff well, passes and moves into space

Would agree with Loum and Fornah. After promising starts, have both tailed off. Would like to see us go forward with a Hendrick and Hutchinson midfield (if he’s ever fit)

I think Loum and Fornah have struggled for a bit of consistency, they haven't both had a good spell in the team for a while, but granted some of that does come down to performances on the field themselves.

Hutchinson is a bit rash for me, granted that may be a better trait to have in the middle of the park 30-40 yards from goal rather than in the heart of the defence 20 yards (or less) from goal.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 Dec 2022 14:45

YorkshireRoyal99
URZZZZ

I think Loum and Fornah have struggled for a bit of consistency, they haven't both had a good spell in the team for a while, but granted some of that does come down to performances on the field themselves.

Hutchinson is a bit rash for me, granted that may be a better trait to have in the middle of the park 30-40 yards from goal rather than in the heart of the defence 20 yards (or less) from goal.

Jeff does some good stuff, is generally neat and tidy and has a bit of a goal threat. He just makes too many simple mistakes - case in point saturday in the 94th min when he completely misjudged a throw in and it went over his head, starting off a Cov break when we had them in their own corner.

Too many misplaced passes and fouls due to poor positioning

Certainly not been worse than the others have been overall but I’d look to Fornah/Loum if they could be more consistent

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 14 Dec 2022 14:58

Hound
YorkshireRoyal99
URZZZZ

Jeff does some good stuff, is generally neat and tidy and has a bit of a goal threat. He just makes too many simple mistakes - case in point saturday in the 94th min when he completely misjudged a throw in and it went over his head, starting off a Cov break when we had them in their own corner.

Certainly not been worse than the others have been overall but I’d look to Fornah/Loum if they could be more consistent

Generally I like what I've seen of Hendrick but he does seem to make one or two mistakes in every game and sometimes one of those mistakes is enough to really undo all his good work. Both Fornah and Loum look pretty decent on their day but their day isn't often enough which is possibly more to do with their youth/inexperience. Fornah is 23 and still only finding his way while Loum, though 25, hasn't really played too much in the senior leagues in Spain and Portugal let alone the fluster of the English 2nd tier.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 14 Dec 2022 15:12

Sutekh
Hound
YorkshireRoyal99

Generally I like what I've seen of Hendrick but he does seem to make one or two mistakes in every game and sometimes one of those mistakes is enough to really undo all his good work. Both Fornah and Loum look pretty decent on their day but their day isn't often enough which is possibly more to do with their youth/inexperience. Fornah is 23 and still only finding his way while Loum, though 25, hasn't really played too much in the senior leagues in Spain and Portugal let alone the fluster of the English 2nd tier.

Of course Hendrick has a mistake or two in him. That's why he's come on loan to Reading and his parent club are paying for him not to be there.

In the confines of our restrictions, he is more than fine and as said does the majority of the simple stuff very well to keep things ticking over whilst also having the ability to find space and make some well timed runs.

17303 posts