Rival Watch

17303 posts
Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Rival Watch

by Clyde1998 » 28 Feb 2024 01:50

windermereROYAL Yes pleased with tonight`s results, Charlton are the team we all expected to get out of it, the teams around us are the sides we expected to be down there, still all to play for, only 2 points off 16th place.
Just need to get a few points and a cushion before March 22nd, tax payment day.

Looking at the run-in for sides, Charlton have the easiest end of the season (based on current positions) compared to everyone else in the bottom eleven.

Other than Port Vale, we have the hardest run-in and beyond Saturday, we have by far the hardest run-in on paper:
  1. 2 Mar - Carlisle (A) - 24th
  2. 9 Mar - Wycombe (H) - 14th
  3. 12 Mar - Derby (A) - 2nd
  4. 16 Mar - Cambridge (H) - 16th
  5. 23 Mar - Bristol Rvrs (A) - 12th
  6. 29 Mar - Northampton (H) - 11th
  7. 1 Apr - Bolton (A) - 3rd
  8. 6 Apr - Lincoln (H) - 10th
  9. 13 Apr - Barnsley (A) - 4th
  10. 20 Apr - Burton (A) - 17th
  11. 27 Apr - Blackpool (H) - 9th
Only four sides currently in the bottom half left to play, plus three sides in the top four.

We really have to get at least a point from every home game - with wins against Wycombe and Cambridge probably being essential. We'll probably have to beat Carlisle and get at least a point at Bristol Rovers and Burton. Doing the minimum listed in those games would get us to 52 points.

The hope is Bristol Rovers, Northampton, Lincoln, Burton and Blackpool will all have nothing to play for when we get around to playing them, with Barnsley safely in the play-offs.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 28 Feb 2024 08:02

I don't particularly fear our run in. We've beaten Derby, Stevenage and we drew at P'boro. It's a division where anyone can beat anyone, and we certainly have the ability. We just need to perform well. Fewer midweek games should allow us to be closer to our peak consistently.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 28 Feb 2024 08:33

Clyde1998
windermereROYAL Yes pleased with tonight`s results, Charlton are the team we all expected to get out of it, the teams around us are the sides we expected to be down there, still all to play for, only 2 points off 16th place.
Just need to get a few points and a cushion before March 22nd, tax payment day.

Looking at the run-in for sides, Charlton have the easiest end of the season (based on current positions) compared to everyone else in the bottom eleven.

Other than Port Vale, we have the hardest run-in and beyond Saturday, we have by far the hardest run-in on paper:
  1. 2 Mar - Carlisle (A) - 24th
  2. 9 Mar - Wycombe (H) - 14th
  3. 12 Mar - Derby (A) - 2nd
  4. 16 Mar - Cambridge (H) - 16th
  5. 23 Mar - Bristol Rvrs (A) - 12th
  6. 29 Mar - Northampton (H) - 11th
  7. 1 Apr - Bolton (A) - 3rd
  8. 6 Apr - Lincoln (H) - 10th
  9. 13 Apr - Barnsley (A) - 4th
  10. 20 Apr - Burton (A) - 17th
  11. 27 Apr - Blackpool (H) - 9th
Only four sides currently in the bottom half left to play, plus three sides in the top four.

We really have to get at least a point from every home game - with wins against Wycombe and Cambridge probably being essential. We'll probably have to beat Carlisle and get at least a point at Bristol Rovers and Burton. Doing the minimum listed in those games would get us to 52 points.

The hope is Bristol Rovers, Northampton, Lincoln, Burton and Blackpool will all have nothing to play for when we get around to playing them, with Barnsley safely in the play-offs.

Yes, it may be tougher but you have to remember in terms of on field performance we are also better than most sides around us - we are 14th without deductions after all.

Also we are now at the stage of the season where current form is probably a better key to the opposition than total points as the pressure of getting over the line - this can have a positive or negative effect - so for example, Bolton have only won 2 of their last 7 whereas Lincoln have won 5 of their last 6.

Of our away opponents, their home form over the last 8 sees them 23rd, 10th, 15th, 2nd, 4th and 18th - so not quite as strong.

Of our home opponents - away form puts them - 20th,15th, 9th, 7th and 22nd

Suddenly the run looks a lot better. We are 3rd for home form and 16th for away over the same period.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 28 Feb 2024 11:19

I don't think its a bad thing not playing sides at the bottom, those are real high pressure games the later we go, I'd much rather be playing sides like Bristol Rovers, Lincoln and Northampton.

Theres also nothing to fear playing the likes of Derby and Barnsley away, the gap between top and bottom is not as big as say the championship and over the last 2 months we have won 2 and drawn 2 against top 6 sides.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 03 Mar 2024 13:28

Hendo
WestYorksRoyal Slightly reassured if Carlisle win. You always dread being that team who they end their run against. Plus Burton remain in the mix. But Derby can fcuk off.

+1 would much rather Carlisle have won tonight. They’re still 13 points behind us so I don’t really consider them part of the equation, certainly not right now.

8)

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Mar 2024 13:31

I was surprised they are as far off the pace as they are. But I guess it doesn’t matter how tidy you are in midfield if you can't score and your defenders are all slower than a sloth.

The latter something we're all familiar with from previous seasons.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 03 Mar 2024 13:44

I really think Shrewsbury will struggle to survive, only 20 goals scored in 34 games apart from the 6 against us, a very poor side from what I saw last week.
How we lost twice against them is a astonishing.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 03 Mar 2024 14:47

League 1 midweek fixtures for this week (w/c 4 March)

Barnsley v Bolton Wanderers
Cheltenham Town v Charlton Athletic
Peterborough United v Northampton Town

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 03 Mar 2024 15:11

What do we prefer in the Cheltenham v Charlton game? Draw or Charlton win? Definitely don't want Cheltenham to win it.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 03 Mar 2024 15:17

WestYorksRoyal What do we prefer in the Cheltenham v Charlton game? Draw or Charlton win? Definitely don't want Cheltenham to win it.

Certainly not a Cheltenham win. I don't think a Charlton win would be a bad result, as I think they'll get out of the relegation picture. Would like to have as many teams below us as possible though.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 03 Mar 2024 16:16

Mid Sussex Royal I don't think its a bad thing not playing sides at the bottom, those are real high pressure games the later we go, I'd much rather be playing sides like Bristol Rovers, Lincoln and Northampton.

Theres also nothing to fear playing the likes of Derby and Barnsley away, the gap between top and bottom is not as big as say the championship and over the last 2 months we have won 2 and drawn 2 against top 6 sides.

I agree. Teams down the bottom are fighting for their lives and may be even more determined to scrap in adversity than those pushing towards the top. If they take the lead, they will cling on for dear life, using every tactic possible (not all strictly within the laws of the game) and become very difficult to beat. The only advantage in playing them is that their confidence is likely to be fragile, so if you can get a good start and a goal or two up, they are far less likely to come back at you than clubs higher up the league who have built up more confidence.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 03 Mar 2024 20:08

WestYorksRoyal What do we prefer in the Cheltenham v Charlton game? Draw or Charlton win? Definitely don't want Cheltenham to win it.

Cheltenham dropping points is the best thing. We'll have a game in hand on Charlton after the game so yeah draw/Charlton win best for us.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 03 Mar 2024 20:37

Stranded

Cheltenham dropping points is the best thing. We'll have a game in hand on Charlton after the game so yeah draw/Charlton win best for us.

Yeh I fancy Charlton to go on a decent run now. They're unbeaten since we beat them, albeit 4 of the 5 games have been a draw.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 03 Mar 2024 20:40

Port Vale form since the abandoned game now looks like this:
Played 9
Won 0
Drawn 2
Lost 7

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Mar 2024 08:44

Stranded

I'd like to see Cheltenham (and Vale and Cambridge) survive, though not at our expense, so would rather see two of Charlton, Shrewsbury, Burton, Wycombe drop.

So I don't mind a Cheltenham win. But a draw strikes me as the best result for us. 2 points to our rivals rather than 3.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 04 Mar 2024 08:59

Yeah, got to be a draw for Tuesday. Both teams dropping points.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 04 Mar 2024 09:04

Nope Charlton win for me, they are climbing the table 100%

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 04 Mar 2024 09:13

Cheltenham just refuse to die. They started woefully then went on a good run. Since then, they've consitently threatened to climb out before losing form at key moments. It's in their hands now, so probably time for another choke. Then another rally when it looks like they're dead and buried again.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 04 Mar 2024 09:31

Hendo Yeah, got to be a draw for Tuesday. Both teams dropping points.

Yep draw is definitely best - though not upset if Cheltenham lose.

Cheltenham are 4th in the current form table, so any result that derails that a bit can't be a bad thing. Charlton have improved but are still mainly drawing games - just 1 win in 6 (but had a tough run) and just the defeat to us - else all draws.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Mar 2024 09:37

windermereROYAL Nope Charlton win for me, they are climbing the table 100%

Cheltenham 4th in form table, Charlton 14th, but Charlton are definitely climbing the table?

How many points are you awarding them for being a 'big club'?

17303 posts