Rival Watch

17370 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Rival Watch

by Hound » 08 May 2023 17:13

Solely in football terms hope Sunderland go up, and if not them, Cov.

Two brilliantly managed clubs by Mowbray and Robins, who have shown great spirit, ability and played decent football to match

Fair play to both of them.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 08 May 2023 17:50

blythspartan
Ascotexgunner
Snowflake Royal Not been to the stadiums, but been to Carlisle and Hartlepool with work and they were much nicer than say Bedford or Peterbrough

Think I've been to Hartlepool. Can't remember, do you have to go a cross a field to get to the ground......or maybe I'm thinking of Darlington.

I think it’s Darlington. I went there in 1986 when we drew 0-0. A field rings a bell but I have to admit my memory is getting worse these days. It was a dull game but we secured promotion.

I was there for that game; incredibly boring.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 08 May 2023 18:08

Mr Angry
blythspartan
Ascotexgunner
Think I've been to Hartlepool. Can't remember, do you have to go a cross a field to get to the ground......or maybe I'm thinking of Darlington.

I think it’s Darlington. I went there in 1986 when we drew 0-0. A field rings a bell but I have to admit my memory is getting worse these days. It was a dull game but we secured promotion.

Think the Feethams was around a cricket pitch or something, certainly fairly unique - but then so was them playing in their 20000 seater white elephant.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 08 May 2023 18:09

Royal_jimmy Most looking forward to being away to Oxford, Port Vale, Lincoln and Shrewsbury being new grounds I haven't been to. Also looking forward to going to Wycombe, Cambridge, Pompey, Cheltenham, Bristol Rovers and Exeter. The rest of the league is dull.

Gay Meadow was a great ground to go to, but sadly the new place is just a modern concrete box.

Port Vale is horrible. Even when they refurbished it in the 1990s, everything still looked about 40 years old. At least the main stand is finished now. It still looked like it had a shanty town down one side when I last went.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 08 May 2023 18:15

tmesis
Royal_jimmy Most looking forward to being away to Oxford, Port Vale, Lincoln and Shrewsbury being new grounds I haven't been to. Also looking forward to going to Wycombe, Cambridge, Pompey, Cheltenham, Bristol Rovers and Exeter. The rest of the league is dull.

Gay Meadow was a great ground to go to, but sadly the new place is just a modern concrete box.

Port Vale is horrible. Even when they refurbished it in the 1990s, everything still looked about 40 years old. At least the main stand is finished now. It still looked like it had a shanty town down one side when I last went.

Only new 4 grounds for me (or 5 if one of either Carlisle or Salford go up); Shrewsbury, Burton, Exeter and Fleetwood.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 08 May 2023 20:08

Hound
tidus_mi2
genome Hahahaha Millwall with the spectacular bottle job

The Met will be breathing a sigh of relief, no East London derby in the Prem.

Yeah impressive that

Stoke got to be one of the weirdest aides of the year. Absolutely useless bar one month when they were amazing (didn’t they beat Sunderland 5-0 away?)

Pleased to see some good clubs in the play offs and not just prem league rebounds. Hoepfully wba have to sell everyone or use, and Norwich and Watford stay down for a while

Millwall flopping has cheered me up a bit.

West Brom surely are going to be deep in the brown stuff next season. Glad Watford and Norwich messed up too

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 08 May 2023 20:09

Hound Solely in football terms hope Sunderland go up, and if not them, Cov.

Two brilliantly managed clubs by Mowbray and Robins, who have shown great spirit, ability and played decent football to match

Fair play to both of them.

I want Boro to win the playoffs

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 08 May 2023 20:10

tmesis

I'll only look forward to Port Vale once. As I never ever look forward to visiting Stoke-On-Trent. Just look forward to leaving it when I'm there.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 09 May 2023 06:53

Play off fixtures

Sheff Wed v Peterborough
Barnsley v Bolton

Stockport v Salford
Carlisle v Bradford

All looks distinctly northern! Personally hoping Carlisle and Sheff Wed both win through.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 09 May 2023 10:00

Sutekh Play off fixtures

Sheff Wed v Peterborough
Barnsley v Bolton

Stockport v Salford
Carlisle v Bradford

All looks distinctly northern! Personally hoping Carlisle and Sheff Wed both win through.

In the idea that we'll be going on a promotion charge next season, I'd rather Sheffield Wednesday or Barnsley go up, they'll be guaranteed to be strong next season again if they don't go up.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 09 May 2023 10:33

tidus_mi2
Sutekh Play off fixtures

Sheff Wed v Peterborough
Barnsley v Bolton

Stockport v Salford
Carlisle v Bradford

In the idea that we'll be going on a promotion charge next season, I'd rather Sheffield Wednesday or Barnsley go up, they'll be guaranteed to be strong next season again if they don't go up.

I'd like Sheffield Wednesday to win them. In league 2 I'd prefer Salford to win theirs followed by Carlisle, I think those 2 will be the easiest pickings from those 4. Don't want a side coming up from league two who may easily stay up.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 09 May 2023 12:37

Sutekh
Mr Angry
blythspartan

Think the Feethams was around a cricket pitch or something, certainly fairly unique - but then so was them playing in their 20000 seater white elephant.

Yep, Feethams was just brilliant. A walk past the cricket pitch to get to the stand, and then changing ends at half-time. A real loss.

DarOv

by DarOv » 09 May 2023 14:24

Royal_jimmy
tidus_mi2
Sutekh Play off fixtures

Sheff Wed v Peterborough
Barnsley v Bolton

Stockport v Salford
Carlisle v Bradford

I'd like Sheffield Wednesday to win them. In league 2 I'd prefer Salford to win theirs followed by Carlisle, I think those 2 will be the easiest pickings from those 4. Don't want a side coming up from league two who may easily stay up.

I watched some of Salford's matches. The potential is there, but it won't be easy for them. Sheffield Wednesday could play better :)
Hello Reading fans. I just love football :)

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 09 May 2023 18:24

Dirk Gently
Sutekh
Mr Angry

Yep, Feethams was just brilliant. A walk past the cricket pitch to get to the stand, and then changing ends at half-time. A real loss.

Don't think it looked like that in 1986 as I was there for that game too, was quite run down then. Easy walk from station though

Darlo Royal

by Darlo Royal » 09 May 2023 18:40

Feethams is now a housing estate, though the cricket club is still there. I saw the West Indies play Durham there one year before they built the Riverside in Chester le Street.
The Tin Shed was taken down and moved to Darlington Rugby Club, where Darlo currently ground share. The football club is currently looking for a site to build their own stadium.
The ‘new’ stadium on the ring road is now the home of Darlington Mowden Park rugby team and is the largest dedicated club rugby stadium in the country, though usually only about 750 spectators turn up.

under the tin

by under the tin » 10 May 2023 10:55

Dirk Gently
Sutekh
Mr Angry

That brings back an echo from the fixture away at Northampton Town back in the day..
One side of the footy pitch roped off for spectators to stand on the grass that was actually the outfield of Northamptonshire CCC.
Happy days

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 10 May 2023 10:56

under the tin
Dirk Gently
Sutekh

That brings back an echo from the fixture away at Northampton Town back in the day..
One side of the footy pitch roped off for spectators to stand on the grass that was actually the outfield of Northamptonshire CCC.
Happy days

Bramall Lane was similar back in the day

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 10 May 2023 11:01

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 10 May 2023 11:06

Decent ground for the national league, ours won`t be out of place when we get there then. :D

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 10 May 2023 11:16

paultheroyal

Darlington Mowden Park play in Rugby Union's Division 3 (called National League 1), playing sides like the Redingensians (now Rams), Chinnor, Plymouth Albion and (next season) former Reading tenants Richmond. They finished 10th this season. Bought the arena for £2,000,000 so are presumably pretty wealthy for a rugby union club.

17370 posts