Rival Watch

17303 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Rival Watch

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Aug 2021 18:51

andrew1957
Hendo
Sutekh Would suggest the definition of a professional standing is a little absurd, 1 game (and does a 2 minute sub app. equate to 1 game?) hardly makes a player to most people. At least the cup games should be excluded as so many teams use them as a testing ground these days.

Agree, that does seem pretty crazy definition to me.

Should probably be "more than 60 minutes" or something.

Totally agree that although this does seem to be the rule it is quite unfair. I am sure the club have been making the case to the FA. Although the FA could in response make the point that the club got into this overspending mess and so deserve what we get.

Personally, I think it's fair.

If you're giving them a professional appearance it should be because they are good enough to play. And it's a club's choice to play reserve sides in the cup.

I could see an argument for a professional start, but that would discount serial super subs.

I've also got little sympathy with the club if that is what we've fallen foul of. A team with longstanding FFP issues should know the rules it will need to operate under and plan for them. We can have been under no illusions of where we are.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Aug 2021 19:02

Didn’t Derby field a team of kids due to some Covid outbreak

Tbh have a bit more sympathy with them if that was the case than us who chose to play the kids vs Luton

If we get rid of people does that open slots up? If so, we can prob send half of them on loan anyway (inc McNulty)

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 06 Aug 2021 19:12

SNOWFLAKE WROTE

If you're giving them a professional appearance it should be because they are good enough to play.

---
i'd disagree - you're playing them IN ORDER TO SEE if they're good enough. It's an audition, not a seal of approval.
Roughly a third of the players who have ever played for Reading made five or fewer apps.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 06 Aug 2021 19:24

It just feels like this is being strung along. I don’t see why after all of this time the EFL haven’t made a final decision. At least then we know where we stand and stick with the current squad minus McNulty if the EFL say we cannot sign anyone.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 06 Aug 2021 19:54

STAR Liaison
Hendo
Sutekh Would suggest the definition of a professional standing is a little absurd, 1 game (and does a 2 minute sub app. equate to 1 game?) hardly makes a player to most people. At least the cup games should be excluded as so many teams use them as a testing ground these days.

Have heard direct from EFL that the definition is FIVE matches (maybe starts, not sure) not one, as mistakenly reported on BBC and elsewhere.

You are making that up. If you read the official EFL statement regarding the Derby Chorley game which was issued on 20 July in the notes it categorically gives the definition of a player of professional standing to be when they have played one game. It also says if a player goes out on loan they still count in the 23. So we have 24 current players who have been involved in at least one game as I said earlier. I imagine we are trying to get special dispensation to give us some scope to sign a few - perhaps one out on loan one in.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Aug 2021 20:42

How bad must McNulty be if that’s the case regarding loan and we still won’t have him in the squad. Unless we think we can get rid of permanently

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 06 Aug 2021 21:01

Would be interesting how they fit into positions in our squad.
Who are the 24 that have made an appearance?
I have
Rafael
Southwood
Yiadom
McIntyre
Holmes
Moore
Morrison
Tetek
Meite
Rinhomota
Aruruna
Laurent
Puscas
Joao
Mcnulty
Aruruna
Swift
Ejaria

Then I believe have made an appearance
Melvin-Lambert
Bristow
Samuels
Abbey

Not sure about
Azeez
Camara
Dorsett
Sackey

If Azeez has not started a game yet I think he will start on the right tomorrow so will qualify as another one.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 06 Aug 2021 21:15

Sackey and Dorsett played in Cup games last season.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 06 Aug 2021 21:17

Hound How bad must McNulty be if that’s the case regarding loan and we still won’t have him in the squad. Unless we think we can get rid of permanently

He hasn’t really been given a chance. We saw Gunter and GMac ostracised two years ago. Seems a bit daft when we are so short of players to have him training with the youngsters. If we cannot bring in anyone I would keep him.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 06 Aug 2021 21:19

He's had plenty of chances, been out on loan a fair bit too and hasn't delivered. Needs binning.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 06 Aug 2021 21:25

Can sympathise a bit with Zippers reasoning.

Did okish at Hibs etc, never given a fair crack at Reading...don’t know his wages, but maybe just maybe there’s a place for him...was a prolific scorer for Coventry (which is why we signed him obvs), maybe worth one last go in place of Messi not coming?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Aug 2021 21:28

WBA have just become last year’s Barnsley with a bit more talent. Ugly watch

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 06 Aug 2021 21:57

NathStPaul He's had plenty of chances, been out on loan a fair bit too and hasn't delivered. Needs binning.

He played a bit under Clement but didn’t really have a run in the side. If we cannot sign anyone I would keep hold of him.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Aug 2021 09:55

Zip
NathStPaul He's had plenty of chances, been out on loan a fair bit too and hasn't delivered. Needs binning.

He played a bit under Clement but didn’t really have a run in the side. If we cannot sign anyone I would keep hold of him.

Yeah, looked OK. Missed a chance and fell apart. Did ok in Scotland.
Got played as a RW in preseason last year and unsurprisingly looked poor as he isn't a RWer and we've made it abundantly clear we don't want him.

Basically made a rod for our own back. Gave him a long contract. Treated him like shit and made it clear he's not wanted. Not a surprise he hasn't really performed.

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 07 Aug 2021 10:03

andrew1957
STAR Liaison
Hendo

Have heard direct from EFL that the definition is FIVE matches (maybe starts, not sure) not one, as mistakenly reported on BBC and elsewhere.

You are making that up. If you read the official EFL statement regarding the Derby Chorley game which was issued on 20 July in the notes it categorically gives the definition of a player of professional standing to be when they have played one game. It also says if a player goes out on loan they still count in the 23. So we have 24 current players who have been involved in at least one game as I said earlier. I imagine we are trying to get special dispensation to give us some scope to sign a few - perhaps one out on loan one in.

Head of legal at EFL said otherwise in response to a direct question, suggesting that it was wrong for just one app to count you in as one of the 23 allowed players. Five he said. Maybe we'd better get in touch with the club to make sure they know!

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Aug 2021 10:14

Snowflake Royal
Zip

Got played as a RW in preseason last year and unsurprisingly looked poor as he isn't a RWer and we've made it abundantly clear we don't want him.

Basically made a rod for our own back. Gave him a long contract. Treated him like shit and made it clear he's not wanted. Not a surprise he hasn't really performed.

Obvs shouldn’t have got 4 years. He has done ‘ok’ on a very poor Scots prem; not pulled up any trees

He has had a clean slate under 3 managers and failed to impress any of them. That’s plenty of opportunity, he just isn’t up to it. No excuses.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Aug 2021 10:20

Hound
Snowflake Royal
Zip

Obvs shouldn’t have got 4 years. He has done ‘ok’ on a very poor Scots prem; not pulled up any trees

He has had a clean slate under 3 managers and failed to impress any of them. That’s plenty of opportunity, he just isn’t up to it. No excuses.

Has he had a clean slate?

Or has his card been marked since Clement?

Sent out on loan by Gomes. Bowen sticks him at RW in pre-season. Didn't he go on loan before Pauno took over? Not featured in any friendlies for him this summer has he?

Not exactly what I'd call a clean slate. He hasn't performed and he's not great. But maybe if we hadn't treated him shit he'd be more motivated and be able to at least contribute a little off the bench, given we're stuck with him.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 07 Aug 2021 10:23

Snowflake Royal
Zip

This

My Coventry supporting mate was gutted when we signed him and then quite amazed we weren't playing him

Don't think he's a bad player and we really havent tried him in his best position or had any faith in him for some reason

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 07 Aug 2021 10:23

Hound
Snowflake Royal
Zip

I don’t think he even played under anybody other than Clement did he? Hardly given a chance being shunted from loan to loan after a brief spell in the first team with us when he was played out of position in a struggling side.
Agree the four year contract was too long.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Aug 2021 11:04

Zip
Hound
Snowflake Royal Yeah, looked OK. Missed a chance and fell apart. Did ok in Scotland.

I don’t think he even played under anybody other than Clement did he? Hardly given a chance being shunted from loan to loan after a brief spell in the first team with us when he was played out of position in a struggling side.
Agree the four year contract was too long.

They train every day in pre season and he’s had various matches inc one last night I believe. We’ll have watched plenty of his games on loan. That’s plenty enough to make a judgement

Don’t need to Chuck them into a first team game to see if they are any good

17303 posts