Rival Watch

17460 posts
Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Rival Watch

by Ascotexgunner » 29 Oct 2022 14:21

LOL Asante could have had a 4 goals in about a minute.
How many free headers does he need?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Oct 2022 14:26

We had a shocker and they do have some good players - suspect if we’d gone 1 up they’d have crumbled again

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 29 Oct 2022 14:46

Hound We had a shocker and they do have some good players - suspect if we’d gone 1 up they’d have crumbled again

Hell, their keeper made a string of saves to keep it at 2-0, I don't think they were world class saves but I think the chances we had, you'd have expected one to go in.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 30 Oct 2022 17:06

Coventry have now been placed under a transfer embargo until December for an unpaid HRMC tax bill. The uncertainty around their home fixtures still remains as, even though Wasps are currently looking for new ownership, this does not include the CBS Arena. God knows where they go from here and they've got about 50 hours to sort it before their next fixture.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 30 Oct 2022 17:14

tidus_mi2
Hound We had a shocker and they do have some good players - suspect if we’d gone 1 up they’d have crumbled again

Hell, their keeper made a string of saves to keep it at 2-0, I don't think they were world class saves but I think the chances we had, you'd have expected one to go in.

This was the frustration. Their defence looked very poor when we finally started to attack them. We should have buried at least two chances.

To leave it until two down to start playing positive football against a team in such poor form was inexcusable.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 30 Oct 2022 17:18

YorkshireRoyal99 Coventry have now been placed under a transfer embargo until December for an unpaid HRMC tax bill. The uncertainty around their home fixtures still remains as, even though Wasps are currently looking for new ownership, this does not include the CBS Arena. God knows where they go from here and they've got about 50 hours to sort it before their next fixture.

Issues at Coventry I think are largely caused by the loss of revenue from the 4 home games they had to postpone which basically meant insufficient cash flow so not all bills were paid when due. Think I saw somewhere that Coventry have had to pay a wedge of cash to the arena operators so that their next home game can go ahead - and so that’ll have go on until some agreement can be worked out. Coventry are now seeing if some ground share can be reached with Walsall though the FL don’t like clubs playing home games too far away from their home area so that’ll have to be approved as well.

Those who committed to the commonwealth games rugby being played there really need to be held to account for this and perhaps the FL should consider banning any football ground from hosting non-football related tournaments unless they have specifically approved them so as to protect a recurrence of this total farce.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 30 Oct 2022 17:23

Understandably match day revenue is a good source of income for any club but, to make it so you can't pay a tax bill? There was talk of the owners selling up as well a month or so ago? I just wonder how they are financially again. They didn't even manage 9,000 at home to Blackpool yesterday, granted this is pretty heavily skewed as their average home attendance is around the 17,000 mark.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 30 Oct 2022 18:09

YorkshireRoyal99 Coventry have now been placed under a transfer embargo until December for an unpaid HRMC tax bill. The uncertainty around their home fixtures still remains as, even though Wasps are currently looking for new ownership, this does not include the CBS Arena. God knows where they go from here and they've got about 50 hours to sort it before their next fixture.

What is the point of this embargo given the window doesn't open until Jan?

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 30 Oct 2022 18:13

Mid Sussex Royal

What is the point of this embargo given the window doesn't open until Jan?

I thought the same. Suppose it stops them signing free agents but there will be few are far between by now anyway as we'd have got hold of most of them!

Considering it's an outstanding tax bill, you'd have thought an embargo until the end of the January window would be sufficient punishment, but it makes sense given Coventry are expected to have cleared the debt by December. I can imagine there will be ramifications if they don't though however.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 31 Oct 2022 08:07

Cov have agreed a time to pay plan with HMRC as the issue was down to lost income so the embargo will be lifted.

Re WBA - we were pants but honestly, we played them at exactly the wrong time - I think whoever they were playing that day, they would have won just because Bruce wasn't there but it only papered over the gaping cracks that are there.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 31 Oct 2022 08:37

Stranded
Re WBA - we were pants but honestly, we played them at exactly the wrong time - I think whoever they were playing that day, they would have won just because Bruce wasn't there but it only papered over the gaping cracks that are there.

+1

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 31 Oct 2022 09:49

Coventry's pitch issues at the start of the season were because the Commonwealth games Rugby Sevens tournament was played in the stadium that ripped up the turf and the stadium owners failed to remedy the issues in time.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 31 Oct 2022 10:14

Sutekh

Issues at Coventry I think are largely caused by the loss of revenue from the 4 home games they had to postpone which basically meant insufficient cash flow so not all bills were paid when due. Think I saw somewhere that Coventry have had to pay a wedge of cash to the arena operators so that their next home game can go ahead - and so that’ll have go on until some agreement can be worked out. Coventry are now seeing if some ground share can be reached with Walsall though the FL don’t like clubs playing home games too far away from their home area so that’ll have to be approved as well.

Those who committed to the commonwealth games rugby being played there really need to be held to account for this and perhaps the FL should consider banning any football ground from hosting non-football related tournaments unless they have specifically approved them so as to protect a recurrence of this total farce.

The FL. have no jurisdiction over what a rugby ground is used for !
The only thing the FL. might be able to do is insist all clubs have sole use of their ground. But lots of clubs make essential extra cash from hosting concerts and other sports events so you’d cause huge problems and essentially mean a club like Cov would no longer exist, likewise Wigan, Swansea and no doubt lots of others.
Not sure who you think needs to be held to account for the Commonwealth games issue.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 31 Oct 2022 10:17

Nameless
Sutekh

The FL. have no jurisdiction over what a rugby ground is used for !
The only thing the FL. might be able to do is insist all clubs have sole use of their ground. But lots of clubs make essential extra cash from hosting concerts and other sports events so you’d cause huge problems and essentially mean a club like Cov would no longer exist, likewise Wigan, Swansea and no doubt lots of others.
Not sure who you think needs to be held to account for the Commonwealth games issue.

The point was the FL approve the use of football grounds for non-footballing uses like concerts, granted I don't know how that would work if the club doesn't own the ground they play at like in Coventry's case.

I read they are working on looking to ground share with Walsall potentially although there are doubts about that. A decision should be finalised today as to whether their game vs Blackburn definitely goes ahead, although the club seems confident it will, so it looks likely.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 31 Oct 2022 10:19

On what basis do the FL have any say in whether a ground can stage concerts ? Evidence please.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 31 Oct 2022 10:23

There isn't, I was restating the point, which was that the FL should consider banning any football ground from hoisting non-football events unless the FL themselves approve them.

In fairness, it's probably my Yorkshire dialect, but it is there above that I was referencing a point made above, not that it's actually the case currently.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 31 Oct 2022 10:31

YorkshireRoyal99 There isn't, I was restating the point, which was that the FL should consider banning any football ground from hoisting non-football events unless the FL themselves approve them.

In fairness, it's probably my Yorkshire dialect, but it is there above that I was referencing a point made above, not that it's actually the case currently.

There seems little logic in the FL deciding what a club can use it’s ground for. There are already rules that say clubs must have primacy of tenure (which I can’t see how Coventry can have), that clubs must have a legally solid tenancy agreement lasting beyond the end of the season if they don’t own their ground and they must be able to get non footballing events postponed at 48 hours notice. Football grounds are used for loads of non footballing activities with no problem, trying to give the FL. control of usage seems draconian and would have been impossible in the Cov situation anyway.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 31 Oct 2022 10:37

Ok that's fine, that was just the suggestion which I would get behind potentially, granted it's a situation that doesn't happen all that often.

Coventry just need some new owners who are willing to buy that ground.

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 31 Oct 2022 14:50

Worth pointing out that Coventry have also had the Rugby league lads ripping the pitch up as part of the World Cup currently going on

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 01 Nov 2022 09:40

Brum Royal Worth pointing out that Coventry have also had the Rugby league lads ripping the pitch up as part of the World Cup currently going on

Offset by reduced RU action.....

17460 posts