Rax

Re: Rival Watch

by Rax » 06 Nov 2021 21:33

Franchise FC
Orion1871
From Despair To Where? Warnock gone.

Wishing him a Happy 10th retirement.

I think he thinks the Reading job is about to come up

He may even fancy a go in Cardiff - stranger things have happened!

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 07 Nov 2021 10:30

Coppells Lost Coat The form of Fulham and Mitrovic being well above championship level, i think they have a better chance of breaking 106 points than Bournemouth do.

It’s good to see these two plucky little sides really making a fist of it this year. Lucky for them financial fair play doesn’t apply to former PL sides. Fulham must be charging a lot for their 17000 attendances to pay someone 100k pw, at least he’ll be a busted flush next year

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 07 Nov 2021 11:09

Silver Fox
Coppells Lost Coat The form of Fulham and Mitrovic being well above championship level, i think they have a better chance of breaking 106 points than Bournemouth do.

It’s good to see these two plucky little sides really making a fist of it this year. Lucky for them financial fair play doesn’t apply to former PL sides. Fulham must be charging a lot for their 17000 attendances to pay someone 100k pw, at least he’ll be a busted flush next year

Things would be better with a total 20/25 man squad “payment” capped at whatever sum e.g. £20m, rather than complex and confusing FFP regulations. Any club breaking that cap could then be fined, say, 5 points for every £100k they are over it - or something along those lines. You’d probably still have to set some leeway for the relegated PL clubs but only for one season.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 07 Nov 2021 11:38

Sutekh
Silver Fox

Things would be better with a total 20/25 man squad “payment” capped at whatever sum e.g. £20m, rather than complex and confusing FFP regulations. Any club breaking that cap could then be fined, say, 5 points for every £100k they are over it - or something along those lines. You’d probably still have to set some leeway for the relegated PL clubs but only for one season.

The current system isn’t working. No surprise The Championship is the division where most points penalty deductions are being meted out. How can clubs like ours compete with the likes of Fulham and Bournemouth without spending serious amounts? Something has to change.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Nov 2021 11:53

Needs better regulation, with teeth, and transfers and wages to go through an independent third party imo. Squeeze poisonous agents out the game.

Squad wage cap is nice, but does also need to be linked to income. Leeds and Yeovil having the same cap were they in the Championship would either unfairly restrict one or allow the other to get into huge trouble, or both.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 07 Nov 2021 14:13

Wilder newly appointed at Boro

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 07 Nov 2021 14:30

3points Wilder newly appointed at Boro

That just might be a good fit.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 08 Nov 2021 07:43

Being reported that Derby will receive only another 3 point deduction for FFP rule breach.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Nov 2021 08:50

Stranded Being reported that Derby will receive only another 3 point deduction for FFP rule breach.

though same tweet I've seen suggests ours hasn't been set either. one to keep an eye one anyway

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 08 Nov 2021 09:05

Hound
Stranded Being reported that Derby will receive only another 3 point deduction for FFP rule breach.

though same tweet I've seen suggests ours hasn't been set either. one to keep an eye one anyway

Indeed - taking with a large pinch of salt but if they only get 3 would be a very hard sell by the EFL to give us the rumoured 9+3.

Just so bloody confusing. They need more transparency i.e. a sliding scale breach by less than 5m 3pts, 8m, 6, 10m 9 12m plus 12 with some suspensions allowed for mitigating circumstances.

As is will just lead to a merry-go-round of appeals.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 08 Nov 2021 09:12

Take a 3 point deduction all day long.

Is our plight worse than Derby's, ignoring administration? What about Hull? They still in trouble with EFL?

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 08 Nov 2021 11:05

We've cooperated (as far it's possible to tell) and been taking our punishment for a while in the form of the soft embargo, while Derby have obfuscated and lied to the EFL, while being able to dish out big contracts to the likes of Rooney through dubious financial practices

SO I fully expect to see us hammered to the full extent of the "law" while they get a slap on the wrist and maybe even a reduction in their penalty for entering administration, despite that being a mandatory penalty for a matter of fact event but you have to remember they were big news in the 70s

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 08 Nov 2021 12:45

Football fans being deluded shocker.

Derby fans looking at forums seem adamant it will only be another 3 so thats a 15 point deduction. So on the back of that they are staying up and annoyed because play offs were within being possible. This is the same Derby who have taken 13 points from a possible 39 and more recently 5 points from a possible 18.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 08 Nov 2021 15:14

paultheroyal Football fans being deluded shocker.

Derby fans looking at forums seem adamant it will only be another 3 so thats a 15 point deduction. So on the back of that they are staying up and annoyed because play offs were within being possible. This is the same Derby who have taken 13 points from a possible 39 and more recently 5 points from a possible 18.

I think they are expecting to be owned by a very rich person soon and go on a spending spree in January...

Agreed it is a bit over enthusiastic but if you were expecting another 9 or 12 and suddenly it looks like it may just be 3, I can get the excitement. If we walk away with just a 3 point deduction, there will be some fans who will think a play-off run in on.

If it is 3 points for Derby, they will be 12 points off safety - so essentially their admin penalty. Without a penalty they would still only be 20th in the table.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Nov 2021 17:09

paultheroyal Take a 3 point deduction all day long.

Is our plight worse than Derby's, ignoring administration? What about Hull? They still in trouble with EFL?

There's a decent chance we've breached by a significantly higher value than Derby. Not guaranteed, but I think our breach is BIG.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 08 Nov 2021 18:43

Snowflake Royal

There's a decent chance we've breached by a significantly higher value than Derby. Not guaranteed, but I think our breach is BIG.

Yes our losses are much higher than theirs superficially but their accounts appear to have been all over the place and they had a suspended points deduction for not paying players wages. If they only get three and we get nine it would be bloody annoying.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Nov 2021 18:53

Zip
Snowflake Royal

Yes our losses are much higher than theirs superficially but their accounts appear to have been all over the place and they had a suspended points deduction for not paying players wages. If they only get three and we get nine it would be bloody annoying.

It will depend on what scope there is for points deductions as a penalty for dishonesty and the other factors. I suspect they may have fines in place for that sort of thing, or not have thought about having penalties for them. I think it's not uncommon to just expect people to be honest.

Baring in mind I'd expect the FL to be a bit of an amateur show on enforcement, they ought to have an offence list, with a penalty tariff structure for each offence, where different types of penalty apply at different severities.

They'll also probably have a panel make decisions on serious penalties, made up of non-compliance staff. Panels of non-experts are always a bit of a random shit show on making decisions and applying penalties. Consistency can be a problem, because there simply aren't enough cases to build proper familiarity and it's not their day job.

Rax

by Rax » 08 Nov 2021 21:41

Taking Derby as a case in point - they're appealing the 12 for administration on the argument of a COVID "Force Majuere" - the EFL also know that they'll drag any further deductions for their "dodgy" accounting through the appeal process.

Surely, that's the way for us to go - EFL give us nine - we appeal on the basis that "Derby got x and that included dishonesty..."

It's a shambles either way to be fair.

17303 posts