Mid table aim

11 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

Mid table aim

by paddy20 » 03 Aug 2017 08:21

The club seem to be gearing up to a mid table challenge this season. Stam has already stated we won't be going for any major signings due to the inflated costs. He's stated our aim is not to expect promotion.We have lost 2 key players and replaced them with probably less able. We are very short of attacking players and injuries mean we are likely to get off to a poorish start. I think Stam realises our situation and is dumming down expectations.

Is he right or should the club accept reality and realise the present transfer market is what it is and if we want success that their is a price to play for getting into the premiership and the money it brings?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Mid table aim

by Nameless » 03 Aug 2017 08:36

1. Don't think there is such a thing as a 'mid table challenge' ! And there is no way on earth the club or Stam will be accepting or happy with a mid table finish.
2. Don't think there is much to split Al Habsi and Mannone. Williams at best split opinion and certainly wasn't a key player, although I liked him.
3. I think your final paragraph is saying we should just throw money around. I think the stated policy of not paying unrealistic money is right. Buy smart, there are no prizes for spending millions on players.

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 03 Aug 2017 08:41

Jaap asked for fans patience over transfers only yesterday.

Mid table finish? He’s taking pressure away from his players and away from himself and rightly so. I’m confident the club will bring players in before the end of august, including another striker.

he's not aiming for mid table, he’s been a winner throughout his career and I can’t see that changing.
Last edited by Oilroyal on 03 Aug 2017 13:12, edited 1 time in total.

Jim Royal

by Jim Royal » 03 Aug 2017 09:10

We're in a juxtaposition at this precise moment. Start of the season imminent but the transfer window doesn't close until the end of August. Still plenty of time to bring in a couple more faces to the squad so no panic on strength in depth just yet.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 03 Aug 2017 09:34

To be fair, I think last season's expectation was mid-table. The squad hasn't changed much therefore our expectations shouldn't.

We'll never be favourites all the while the mighty Aston Villa, Middlesbrough, Sunderland etc. lie in our wake!

Linden Jones' Tash

by Linden Jones' Tash » 03 Aug 2017 09:35

I have no ITK, but suspect there are deals in place awaiting the domino effect of other movements, as is about to happen with the big boys and Neymar ripple effects.

The aim, whether stated or not has to be promotion, for Stam and the owners.

Long term residency in the Championship isn't going to cut it for Stam or the owners (however much we enjoy champ vs prem football)

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Aug 2017 13:01

paddy20 The club seem to be gearing up to a mid table challenge this season. Stam has already stated we won't be going for any major signings due to the inflated costs. He's stated our aim is not to expect promotion.We have lost 2 key players and replaced them with probably less able. We are very short of attacking players and injuries mean we are likely to get off to a poorish start. I think Stam realises our situation and is dumming down expectations.

Is he right or should the club accept reality and realise the present transfer market is what it is and if we want success that their is a price to play for getting into the premiership and the money it brings?

Yes on managing expectations, though not on mid-table being a target. The aim is always promotion, just because you don't bet the farm on red 27 doesn't mean you aren't striving to go up - within your means. No, we should never just give up and pay inflated prices. That way lies Pompey and QPR and Bolton and all the other financial basket cases. Giving in and paying is exactly why prices are so crazy, if we join in they'll only get worse.

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

by Reading4eva » 03 Aug 2017 22:33

I'm optimistic.

The club will find the right players before September. Norwich get off to a bad start and straight away our number 1 target becomes a bit more obtainable especially if we can get near the top.

Anyway I like Popa and I believe he might have a very good season. I'd start him against the Fake Hoops. I'd also bring Loader on off the bench.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 03 Aug 2017 23:54

paddy20 We have lost 2 key players and replaced them with probably less able.

New keeper looks better in many ways than Al Habsi. Needs more game time to settle in though.

double d

by double d » 04 Aug 2017 03:50

If any manager aims for a mid table finish unless they are one of a small handful of teams (burtons, millwalls etc) then they shouldn't be a manager.

ILoveMoonPig

by ILoveMoonPig » 04 Aug 2017 06:20

I have a feeling that that's probably us done in the transfer window this year. I'm happy with what we've done and would even take staying up, over watching us spaff millions on average players.

Look at clubs like villa who are spending some crazy amounts of money that's probably mostly been borrowed on wages etc.

11 posts   •   Page 1 of 1