Relegation

1865 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Relegation

by Hound » 19 Aug 2021 11:34

Zonal marking is one of those hobnob cliches which comes up regularly as a ‘ditch this and we’ll be better’. Along with ‘shouldn’t play out from the back’ and ‘need speedy winger’.

Zonal is fine if people do their jobs properly. They didn’t on Tuesday and you changing the system doesn’t change that. From what I saw; we gave them far too much space and didn’t attack the ball/go with runners. Zonal worked well for us last year where we were generally solid from set pieces

Think McIntyre and Puscas were both on Martin for their first goal when he flicked on and just let him win a free header anyway.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 19 Aug 2021 11:34

windermereROYAL Derby got special dispensation to bring in Jagielka and Baldock, why should we be any different with our injury woes?

We can bring in players, we just aren't doing so.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Aug 2021 13:04

John Smith
Snowflake Royal We should not be trying to replace him with Cahill.

Why not? He almost single-handedly kept a dogshit Palace side in the division last season.

Aging, twilight of a declining career, used to big wages and we already have Morrison, McIntyre, Holmes and Dorsett plus more academy lads.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 19 Aug 2021 14:02

Snowflake Royal
John Smith
Snowflake Royal We should not be trying to replace him with Cahill.

Why not? He almost single-handedly kept a dogshit Palace side in the division last season.

Aging, twilight of a declining career, used to big wages and we already have Morrison, McIntyre, Holmes and Dorsett plus more academy lads.

You think any of them could lace Cahill's boots? You're a complete dreamer.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Aug 2021 18:03

Hound Zonal marking is one of those hobnob cliches which comes up regularly as a ‘ditch this and we’ll be better’. Along with ‘shouldn’t play out from the back’ and ‘need speedy winger’.

Zonal is fine if people do their jobs properly. They didn’t on Tuesday and you changing the system doesn’t change that. From what I saw; we gave them far too much space and didn’t attack the ball/go with runners. Zonal worked well for us last year where we were generally solid from set pieces

Think McIntyre and Puscas were both on Martin for their first goal when he flicked on and just let him win a free header anyway.

Our set up has been noticeably worse. And it's been consistent across three games.

Yes the players aren't doing it well, but the set up is easily exploited. I'm not against zonal per se, but out implementation is dreadful and I don't think at this point you can say the players just need to do it better.

It's poor execution of poor direction in the first place.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Aug 2021 20:50

Agreed it could well be the set up/tactic or the players or both. Just calling out the broad stroke of ‘zonal marking is bad’

From my very very limited knowledge, believe most teams use a hybrid of both zonal and man marking. I think that’s what we attempt

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 21 Aug 2021 08:41

NathStPaul
windermereROYAL Derby got special dispensation to bring in Jagielka and Baldock, why should we be any different with our injury woes?

Not sure bringing in Baldock is a help or not

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Aug 2021 12:49

SouthDownsRoyal
NathStPaul

Combined quite well with Puscas in George's first season iirc.

Both play better in a pair.

Of course, I'm sure he couldn't get out of our club quicker.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 21 Aug 2021 13:02

Dorsett has gone out on loan. Phew. I think he's better developing in a lower league as I don't think he's quite ready for this level yet. Possibly in a year we can blood him in slowly.

Maybe a sign the club are confident of bringing another defender in (hopefully a left back)

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 21 Aug 2021 13:41

I don't know where we stand on our chances, I think the first 3 games have indicated we don't look up for a top half finish with the current squad but Stoke have started well, Brizzle seemed to have been hard done by in their loss to Swansea and we made Preston look poor who have started terribly.

I think Coventry will be a good benchmark for the season.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 21 Aug 2021 13:54

Snowflake Royal
SouthDownsRoyal
NathStPaul We can bring in players, we just aren't doing so.

Combined quite well with Puscas in George's first season iirc.

Both play better in a pair.

Of course, I'm sure he couldn't get out of our club quicker.

Mind you the £20k a week must have helped.1 £Mill a year to sit on your bum.

Once upon a time .

by Once upon a time . » 21 Aug 2021 14:15

Am I alone in having the feeling that it’s the supporters who care while the club don’t give a damn . Did nobody tell them there is a transfer window that’s been going on for weeks , and although they have been restricted , why , when the the restrictions were eased weren’t they poised to fill the gaps, or had nobody told them we didn’t have a LB , and that we had lost a main striker for the season . The words piss up and brewery come to mind !
While I’m in the mood , I’ll carry on . I see supporters here saying we should play 3,4.2,1 or 5,2,3,1 , or goodness knows what numbers . Numbers do not have quality , ———— players do ! It’s the quality of the players that matter , not the numbers ! Play whatever numbers you like , there’s plenty to chose from , we won’t stay up if we don’t have players with the quality to play in this league , and again I will say that we need to improve, and I don’t see this quality coming from the academy yet .

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 21 Aug 2021 17:07

Once upon a time . Am I alone in having the feeling that it’s the supporters who care while the club don’t give a damn . Did nobody tell them there is a transfer window that’s been going on for weeks , and although they have been restricted , why , when the the restrictions were eased weren’t they poised to fill the gaps, or had nobody told them we didn’t have a LB , and that we had lost a main striker for the season . The words piss up and brewery come to mind !
While I’m in the mood , I’ll carry on . I see supporters here saying we should play 3,4.2,1 or 5,2,3,1 , or goodness knows what numbers . Numbers do not have quality , ———— players do ! It’s the quality of the players that matter , not the numbers ! Play whatever numbers you like , there’s plenty to chose from , we won’t stay up if we don’t have players with the quality to play in this league , and again I will say that we need to improve, and I don’t see this quality coming from the academy yet .

Players may feel that joining Reading isn't a wise career move at the current time. More to life than just money.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 21 Aug 2021 17:07

That's one defeat closer. Need to sort it out before relegation becomes inevitable.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 21 Aug 2021 17:10

Definitely looking like a relegation scrap now, need a good performance against Huddersfield to make me more confident about our chances.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 21 Aug 2021 17:15

The goals will start to dry up. Puscas can't hit a barn door with a banjo right now, Swift isn't a massive goalscorer and Azeez may keep scoring but can't keep relying on him. Yet we give shit goals away every week still.

Not looking good and this is an easy run of fixtures on paper.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 21 Aug 2021 17:19

tidus_mi2 Definitely looking like a relegation scrap now, need a good performance against Huddersfield to make me more confident about our chances.

In a scrap now. There's a number of teams in disarray. Results against them will determine the season. Dreading the likes of WBA at the current time.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 21 Aug 2021 17:24

Early days but we look a total mess. Not a difficult start on paper and we were totally outplayed by Coventry today.

I like the manager and I feel sorry for him but for where we’re right now he’s not the right man for the job.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 21 Aug 2021 17:31

blythspartan Early days but we look a total mess. Not a difficult start on paper and we were totally outplayed by Coventry today.

I like the manager and I feel sorry for him but for where we’re right now he’s not the right man for the job.

He has to be given more time but if things don't improve in the next couple of months he will need to go.
Our run of form since March is abysmal.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 21 Aug 2021 17:31

Lumped on us being relegated at the start of the season. We are a shambles on and off the pitch.

1865 posts