Relegation

1865 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Relegation

by Sutekh » 16 Mar 2022 13:10

SouthDownsRoyal
Zip
YorkshireRoyal99 Here's a thought. Has Barnsley's good form come too early?

No they strengthened in January and it’s showing.
Have we not learnt about Barnsley from last season?
We are a very poor side

Barnsley have something we don’t

Fight

Well let’s hope it’s just a short term deal so that he’s out of contract in the summer

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 16 Mar 2022 15:12

As stated many times by myself, we'll finish fourth from bottom....then move on

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 16 Mar 2022 15:17

SouthDownsRoyal
Zip
YorkshireRoyal99 Here's a thought. Has Barnsley's good form come too early?

We are a very poor side

Fight

Eh, 2 teams with points deductions and under transfer embargos for several transfer windows and they're only now on the cusp of safety. Take out the points deductions and they would be 10pts off safety right now, they and Peterborough have been god awful this season.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 16 Mar 2022 15:37

tidus_mi2
SouthDownsRoyal
Zip
We are a very poor side

Fight

Eh, 2 teams with points deductions and under transfer embargos for several transfer windows and they're only now on the cusp of safety. Take out the points deductions and they would be 10pts off safety right now, they and Peterborough have been god awful this season.

Yep Barnsley are very fortunate that 2 sides have had deductions - as you say, whilst we would currently be in the bottom 3 if there had been none, Barnsley and Peterborough would be needing a miracle.

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 16 Mar 2022 16:04

if we went down would you guys still go to games or support the team?

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 16 Mar 2022 16:33

Loafer if we went down would you guys still go to games or support the team?

Yes, why should we not? there was a team here before the 21st century you know.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 16 Mar 2022 16:41

Yes I'd still go. If League One was how it is now, assuming 3rd place won the Play Offs (MK Dons), the games I would want to go to next season would be Sunderland, Sheffield Wednesday, Bolton, Accrington and Derby/Barnsley (depending who survives). I'd maybe even consider slightly longer journeys into the midlands for games such as Shrewsbury, Lincoln and Burton.

It's just a shame that Crewe, Doncaster, Morecambe, Rotherham and Wigan all look to be exiting the division this season which would be reasonable games for me to attend.

The only team I would realistically visit from the current top 7 in League Two would be Tranmere, possibly Northampton due to me knowing someone from that area who is involved with where I work so.

In some regards, I'd much rather go to Sheff Wednesday, Bolton, Sunderland and Derby over Rotherham's (should they go up), Barnsley's, Preston's ground next season, but, on the flip side, I'd much rather visit the aforementioned grounds (as well as Hull, Sheff United, Middlesbrough, Blackpool, Blackburn) over the likes of Accrington, Burton, Shrewsbury and Lincoln.

Weymouth Royal

by Weymouth Royal » 16 Mar 2022 16:42

That's not a genuine question, surely?

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 16 Mar 2022 16:44

windermereROYAL

it wouldn't be depressing/waste of time and money?

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 16 Mar 2022 18:07

Loafer
windermereROYAL

No I`m old enough to remember lower league football, it wasn`t depressing then and I won`t be if this happens, I`ll be sad yes after 20 years in the top two tiers who wouldn`t be?
Last edited by windermereROYAL on 16 Mar 2022 18:23, edited 1 time in total.

Singing Defective

by Singing Defective » 16 Mar 2022 18:14

windermereROYAL
Loafer
windermereROYAL

No I`m old enough to remember lower league football, it wasn`t depressing then and it won`t be if this happens, I`ll be sad yes after 20 years in the top two tiers who wouldn`t be?

Plus, what’s the alternative? watch Oxf :o rd, or bicycle over to see the Chairpersons in HW?!

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 16 Mar 2022 19:03

That is quite an achievement to have an unbroken run of 20 years out of the lower divisions. A considerable number of much bigger clubs than Reading can’t match it. Like Windermere I’d be gutted to break that run, but like the Defective, life goes on, some old clubs and new grounds to visit, more chance of some local lads making it through to the first team and becoming regulars and a chance of a bit of a re-set.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 17 Mar 2022 08:57

I thought a couple of seasons ago that relegation could be a benefit in the long-term for the club. Less so now due to the embargo so it might take us longer to get out of League One but it could still work out in our favour. It may mean the likes of Southwood, Azeez, Abbey, Dorsett, Bristow, Tetek etc can flourish with so many players leaving. They've all got the potential to be playing in the Championship for sure.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 17 Mar 2022 09:08

At no point, in the history of any football club has relegation been a "good thing". Any rebuild on reset would be much better placed at the highest level possible.

If we do go down, so be it, but it could be a slow painful climb back. We've spent 20 years outside the bottom 2 divisions, it may take us 20 years to get out of them again.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 17 Mar 2022 09:11

Stranded At no point, in the history of any football club has relegation been a "good thing". Any rebuild on reset would be much better placed at the highest level possible.

If we do go down, so be it, but it could be a slow painful climb back. We've spent 20 years outside the bottom 2 divisions, it may take us 20 years to get out of them again.

May not have seemed it at the time, but you can't deny that Southampton going down to L1 in 08/09 didn't do absolute wonders for them.

Yes, it took them 2 season to get back to the Championship, but they then finished 2nd behind us and haven't looked back since, albeit they did flirt with relegation once or twice.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 17 Mar 2022 09:15

Hendo
Stranded At no point, in the history of any football club has relegation been a "good thing". Any rebuild on reset would be much better placed at the highest level possible.

May not have seemed it at the time, but you can't deny that Southampton going down to L1 in 08/09 didn't do absolute wonders for them.

Yes, it took them 2 season to get back to the Championship, but they then finished 2nd behind us and haven't looked back since, albeit they did flirt with relegation once or twice.

But that wasn't to do with relegation more that they were bought out of admin by a very rich and very good owner.

Relegation certainly wasn't the catalyst to that though it likely created the circumstances in which Liebherr wanted to buy.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 17 Mar 2022 09:19

YorkshireRoyal99 I thought a couple of seasons ago that relegation could be a benefit in the long-term for the club. Less so now due to the embargo so it might take us longer to get out of League One but it could still work out in our favour. It may mean the likes of Southwood, Azeez, Abbey, Dorsett, Bristow, Tetek etc can flourish with so many players leaving. They've all got the potential to be playing in the Championship for sure.

If those six were all regular starters in League One next season I expect we'd get relegated again.

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 17 Mar 2022 09:26

Weymouth Royal

That's not a genuine question, surely?

yes it is

I probably wouldn;t bother following or supporting anymore and move into non league

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 17 Mar 2022 09:28

Pepe the Horseman
YorkshireRoyal99 I thought a couple of seasons ago that relegation could be a benefit in the long-term for the club. Less so now due to the embargo so it might take us longer to get out of League One but it could still work out in our favour. It may mean the likes of Southwood, Azeez, Abbey, Dorsett, Bristow, Tetek etc can flourish with so many players leaving. They've all got the potential to be playing in the Championship for sure.

If those six were all regular starters in League One next season I expect we'd get relegated again.

They wouldn't be, but Southwood, Azeez and Tetek for sure are all capable of playing at League One level. Southwood, for his criticism's and faults, has been rated highly outside our walls by opposition fans, Azeez has proven his worth early in the season at this level and is showing promise up until his injury and Tetek has been breaking through in the last 12-18 months as well. If they can get into our squad in the Championship, they'd be more than capable in League One.

Dorsett and Abbey may need another loan spell (or a loan spell in Abbey's case) but I think within the next 12 months they'd be capable in our squad. Bristow has been thrown into the deep end a bit this season in his sporadic appearances but a bit more exposure a level down might be just what he needs. I'm not saying they would all be regulars, but they could break into the team or in some cases be regular starters, such as the aforementioned first 3 players, in a League One side.

I think you overstate how good League One is. The majority of clubs in the bottom half of League One are not significantly better than sides in the top half of League Two.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 17 Mar 2022 09:28

Stranded
Hendo

But that wasn't to do with relegation more that they were bought out of admin by a very rich and very good owner.

Relegation certainly wasn't the catalyst to that though it likely created the circumstances in which Liebherr wanted to buy.

True enough, I guess, but like you said, they may not have got the ownership they did if they hadn't been relegated.

1865 posts