Relegation

1865 posts
Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Relegation

by Westwood52 » 08 Aug 2021 13:13

I repeat,how come it is only us and Derby ?

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 08 Aug 2021 13:42

Hound
blythspartan I get that we have to take what’s coming but the embargo feels like a slow death sentence. I’d almost rather take a 9 point deduction and hope that we can stay up.

I am not even sure if relegation would be so bad. League 1 could be a great place to blood our youngsters and to re-build the squad with young hungry players that won’t cost the earth. Crowds would be good if we did well and I miss the days of playing Swindon, Oxford and Gillingham. However, I don’t know what the financial impact would be if we dropped down a division and we’d need the owners to stick with us.

It’d be rubbish. Rebuilding etc hasn’t worked for the likes of Sunderland, Ipswich and Portsmouth and once you go down it’s hard to then build a squad that’ll compete in the champ again even if you do go up

Crowds would dwindle further, less tv money, less attractive to any decent players. Oxford maybe fun, but morecambe, Shrewsbury at home bringing 100 fans really wouldn’t be

Our u23s have shown themselves to be able to compete at champ level - Rino, Olise, Holmes, McIntyre - now hopefully Azeez to add to that. Don’t need to go down to give them a chance

This. It would be horrible to go back down to the lower divisions with absolute no guarantee of going back up again. It could go the other way and we end up back in the basement division again.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 08 Aug 2021 13:56

Zip
Hound
blythspartan I get that we have to take what’s coming but the embargo feels like a slow death sentence. I’d almost rather take a 9 point deduction and hope that we can stay up.

I am not even sure if relegation would be so bad. League 1 could be a great place to blood our youngsters and to re-build the squad with young hungry players that won’t cost the earth. Crowds would be good if we did well and I miss the days of playing Swindon, Oxford and Gillingham. However, I don’t know what the financial impact would be if we dropped down a division and we’d need the owners to stick with us.

It’d be rubbish. Rebuilding etc hasn’t worked for the likes of Sunderland, Ipswich and Portsmouth and once you go down it’s hard to then build a squad that’ll compete in the champ again even if you do go up

Crowds would dwindle further, less tv money, less attractive to any decent players. Oxford maybe fun, but morecambe, Shrewsbury at home bringing 100 fans really wouldn’t be

Our u23s have shown themselves to be able to compete at champ level - Rino, Olise, Holmes, McIntyre - now hopefully Azeez to add to that. Don’t need to go down to give them a chance

This. It would be horrible to go back down to the lower divisions with absolute no guarantee of going back up again. It could go the other way and we end up back in the basement division again.

Your anxiety might be a bit misguided, i could win the lottery but that won`t happen either.
Wigan were on the brink of going out of business not so long ago but that have enough about them to tempt two players from the giants of L1 Sunderland, including 31 goal Charlie Wyke.
I don`t want us to go down but it`s certainly not the death knell for our club if we do.
Last edited by windermereROYAL on 08 Aug 2021 15:18, edited 1 time in total.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 08 Aug 2021 14:50

Westwood52 I repeat,how come it is only us and Derby ?

In April it was

Birmingham City, Blackburn Rovers, Cardiff City, Coventry City, Derby County, Huddersfield Town, Luton Town, Reading, Sheffield Wednesday and Stoke City.

Not sure but I think it might just be us Derby and Hull now.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 08 Aug 2021 15:27

Has the club CEO Dayong Pang said anything publicly in recent months? Feeling sorry for Pauno being left to hang out to dry and being the only spokesperson for the club. Nigel Howe jumped ship at the right time.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 08 Aug 2021 17:14

Lower West Has the club CEO Dayong Pang said anything publicly in recent months? Feeling sorry for Pauno being left to hang out to dry and being the only spokesperson for the club. Nigel Howe jumped ship at the right time.

He's barely said a thing since he joined the club.

We don't have a DoF either which I think the club is really missing. Someone who has a wage structure and can negotiate sustainable financial deals for the club.

In fact do we even have a scouting network anymore outside of the academy?

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 08 Aug 2021 17:30

What would a few words from the ownership do to help? If they come out and say that we are screwed the supporters panic. If they come out and say "move along, nothing to see here" they are called liars and more unrest is created. No real good will come from an empty statement being released, it will be like using a plaster to fix a broken leg.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Aug 2021 17:30

bcubed
Westwood52 I repeat,how come it is only us and Derby ?

In April it was

Birmingham City, Blackburn Rovers, Cardiff City, Coventry City, Derby County, Huddersfield Town, Luton Town, Reading, Sheffield Wednesday and Stoke City.

Not sure but I think it might just be us Derby and Hull now.

Most of those were technicalities around when accounts were filed too.

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 08 Aug 2021 18:13

I think that relegation is definitely a possibility, and it shouldn't be such a bad thing, we do need a major reset. The current owners/management and players don't have the local identity, passion, desire that existed under past British/English owner's management and players.
And just think about those mouth watering local derbies and the giant killing cup rounds. It's also so soul destroying for the players and supporters to play and watch in such a plastic out of town carpet land empty stadium. We should never have moved from Elm Park.
Reading Know your place.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 18 Aug 2021 09:23

We're now a long term Swift injury from being in massive trouble in my opinion.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 18 Aug 2021 10:21

Oh god, here it comes, ie “it won’t be so bad getting relegated comments” FML

Taffster

by Taffster » 18 Aug 2021 10:33

paultheroyal Oh god, here it comes, ie “it won’t be so bad getting relegated comments” FML

Good chance to get rid of the deadwood and rebuild...........

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 18 Aug 2021 11:01

We might survive this season provided we don’t have even more long term injuries to key players but I have to wonder how we will persuade any of the better OOC players to re-sign for next season. If they move on we will be down to youngsters and a few freebies in which case relegation sooner or later looks inevitable to me.

I am finding it very difficult to see any silver linings. I genuinely cannot think of a darker time for the club in the last 25 years or so.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 18 Aug 2021 11:03

Taffster
paultheroyal Oh god, here it comes, ie “it won’t be so bad getting relegated comments” FML

Getting relegated could kill us. If you're happy to have that happen just so that someone buys Puscas then great.

We don't really have any deadwood btw, we have a paper thin squad all of which are fairly decent Championship players.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 18 Aug 2021 11:03

We have more than enough going forward to stay up this season, I would be very surprised to see us anywhere near the bottom 3 come next May.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 18 Aug 2021 11:13

andrew1957 We might survive this season provided we don’t have even more long term injuries to key players but I have to wonder how we will persuade any of the better OOC players to re-sign for next season. If they move on we will be down to youngsters and a few freebies in which case relegation sooner or later looks inevitable to me.

I am finding it very difficult to see any silver linings. I genuinely cannot think of a darker time for the club in the last 25 years or so.

What about when we sold Le Fondre to pay a tax bill?

Hopefully next summer we will be in a better position to recruit. We’re not going to be under an embargo forever.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 18 Aug 2021 11:24

NathStPaul We have more than enough going forward to stay up this season, I would be very surprised to see us anywhere near the bottom 3 come next May.

You write that before the Joao injury confirmation?

Relying on 2 academy lads with 3 apps and 1 off the bench, and blunt Puscas is not going to keep us up

Taffster

by Taffster » 18 Aug 2021 11:28

NathStPaul
Taffster

Getting relegated could kill us. If you're happy to have that happen just so that someone buys Puscas then great.

We don't really have any deadwood btw, we have a paper thin squad all of which are fairly decent Championship players.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: k

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 18 Aug 2021 11:29

Notts Royal
NathStPaul We have more than enough going forward to stay up this season, I would be very surprised to see us anywhere near the bottom 3 come next May.

Relying on 2 academy lads with 3 apps and 1 off the bench, and blunt Puscas is not going to keep us up

We still have enough about us to score goals, providing we keep them fit of course. Losing Joao is a blow of course but Azeez has shown enough to suggest he is comfortable at this level and we also have Ejaria to come back in who I would think Paunovic will be tempted to use as a false 9 should we not be able to sign another striker. We will create a lot of chances due to the likes of Swift and Laurent being in the side and Tom Dele-Bashiru looked very tidy when he came on too.
McIntyre, Moore and Morrison are my concerns at the moment, if we can get them back in form we will be just fine.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 18 Aug 2021 11:45

NathStPaul
Notts Royal

We still have enough about us to score goals, providing we keep them fit of course. Losing Joao is a blow of course but Azeez has shown enough to suggest he is comfortable at this level and we also have Ejaria to come back in who I would think Paunovic will be tempted to use as a false 9 should we not be able to sign another striker. We will create a lot of chances due to the likes of Swift and Laurent being in the side and Tom Dele-Bashiru looked very tidy when he came on too.
McIntyre, Moore and Morrison are my concerns at the moment, if we can get them back in form we will be just fine.

Azeez has definitely looked like he could be a handful for the opposition but it's only 3 games into the season. Think the opposite of writing a new signing off because he had 3 poor games and cost us points. Teams could work him out still, or he could be in a gold patch. The fact is he's still a rookie and 2 goals in 3 games (whilst it's a great start) doesn't mean he'll go on and get 10-15 and be a regular at this level.

1865 posts