Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Relegation

by Millsy » 31 Aug 2021 15:33

Nameless
Mid Sussex Royal
CountryRoyal
Jordan Mutch.

And that young guy from West Ham under Stam, can't remember name...

Reece Swindon

Glenn Murray couldn’t wait to get back to Palace either.

Alright but apart from those, what have the loanees ever done to us?

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 31 Aug 2021 16:04

Nameless
Mid Sussex Royal
CountryRoyal
Jordan Mutch.

And that young guy from West Ham under Stam, can't remember name...

Reece Swindon

Glenn Murray couldn’t wait to get back to Palace either.

Still managed 8 goals in 18 games. Imagine how many he'd have scored if he was trying.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 31 Aug 2021 17:10

paultheroyal Unless we need to balance the books we should not be selling anyone - and these new players are here for the first team

Where have you been the last 10 years? We desperately need to balance the books. That's why we're under a transfer embargo

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 31 Aug 2021 17:12

Millsy
Stranded I keep coming back to the fact, assuming we sign 2 more on loan this week, we will have what 14 players who are unlikely to be at the club next season as things stand.

? Do they care if we are in L1 next year?

I see what you're saying but loanees can do just as well if not better as they're often loaned out for a reason and they will either have a point to prove to their parent club or will be hoping for a deal here. Think Steve Mautone (here on loan), Oliveira, Ejaria etc etc.. In fact I honestly can't think of a loanee who has looked like they don't want to be here and didn't at last try to impress.

As for expiring contracts, same thing really - they either need to impress us or potential clubs they are hoping will be interested.

In fact the only group of players I can think of who couldn't give a toss are those on comfortable longer term contracts, especially with little competition for their places who believe they are in our longer term plans. Plenty of examples of those types.

I could probably list 5 easily

Sebastian the Red

by Sebastian the Red » 31 Aug 2021 20:07

Haven't read the thread, obviously, but relegation, and a complete reset away from shit like the "Select Car Leasing Stadium" and the club being a property investment instead of a football club, is pretty much the only thing that would make me bother to come back again.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 01 Sep 2021 07:56

Another disappointing deadline day but I am not surprised tbh. I just wonder how Pauno will now set us up and whether he has learned from past mistakes.

My concern is that if I am an opposing manager setting up a team against us I’d be marking Swift out of the game and telling my players to press us, score the first goal and that’s job done. Basically, what is there to fear about us anymore?

I am doom and gloom at the moment but still looking forward to the QPR game. Maybe teams might underestimate us and we’ll get enough points to keep us out of the bottom 3 between now and January.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 01 Sep 2021 08:45

blythspartan and whether he has learned from past mistakes.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 01 Sep 2021 08:50

blythspartan Another disappointing deadline day but I am not surprised tbh. I just wonder how Pauno will now set us up and whether he has learned from past mistakes.

My concern is that if I am an opposing manager setting up a team against us I’d be marking Swift out of the game and telling my players to press us, score the first goal and that’s job done. Basically, what is there to fear about us anymore?

I am doom and gloom at the moment but still looking forward to the QPR game. Maybe teams might underestimate us and we’ll get enough points to keep us out of the bottom 3 between now and January.

I'm not sure teams will underestimate us when we've got known pro's like Dann and Drinkwater who will play week in week out I expect.

Pauno definitely needs to look at our set up. We have a seriously unbalanced squad.

Donny Ironside
Hob Nob Regular

by Donny Ironside » 01 Sep 2021 10:21

Royal_jimmy
blythspartan Another disappointing deadline day but I am not surprised tbh. I just wonder how Pauno will now set us up and whether he has learned from past mistakes.

I'm not sure teams will underestimate us when we've got known pro's like Dann and Drinkwater who will play week in week out I expect.

Pauno definitely needs to look at our set up. We have a seriously unbalanced squad.

What is the difference between a known pro and a football for Reading?

I am sure teams will be quaking in their boots when Danny Drinkwater comes up against them :|

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 01 Sep 2021 11:47

Royal_jimmy

It really isn't unbalanced now given how we want to play. We are probably just a striker short.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 01 Sep 2021 13:15

Donny Ironside
Royal_jimmy

What is the difference between a known pro and a football for Reading?

I am sure teams will be quaking in their boots when Danny Drinkwater comes up against them :|

Even if he is half the player he used to be, he would control and frustrate the middle of the pitch with out breaking a sweat.
Marking Swift out of the game isn't exactly a game plan that hasn't been adopted before, so nothing new there. When he is back teams will double up on Ejaria again. But hopefully that is the reason why we got in Hoilett and Halilovic to exploit these spaces.

I understand that there is RTG going on from me but its better than wishing relegation. No one gets relegated in September, 10 days for people to dry their bed sheets and enjoy the next game.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 01 Sep 2021 17:01

Royal_jimmy

Drinkwater is a punt. A player of that perceived quality must have been assessed by most Championship clubs. Niggling feeling that the player of old isn't going to be the one we actually watch on the pitch,

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 01 Sep 2021 17:53

Marking Swift out of the game is quite easy when Ejaria isn't fit. But concentrate on Swift to your peril if Ejaria is playing. Having more than one attacking threat creates space and time for other players (which is perhaps why Meite was quite successful last season when playing in the team with Joao)

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Sep 2021 18:54

Stranded
Royal_jimmy

It really isn't unbalanced now given how we want to play. We are probably just a striker short.

:?:

.....................Cabral
Yiadom, Dann, Moore, Rahman
.........Rinomhota, Laurent
Hoilett...........Swift.................Ejaria
......................Puscas

......................Clarke
?...................Halilovic.............?
........Drinkwater, Dele-Bashiru
McIntyre, Holmes, Morrison, ?
...................Southwood

Tetek

8 players who are best through the middle of the pitch, bugger all quality or quantity wide, one right back in awful form, a second left back who is currently injured and actually a CB.

It's an interesting definition of balanced. Well I guess there's nothing out wide to tip it towards either flank :D

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 01 Sep 2021 22:29

Stranded
Royal_jimmy

At least a striker if not two, short. No goals could be a problem. Especially when we have a leaky defence.

Puscas doesn’t score so really we don’t have any strikers, maybe Azeez can get the odd goal but when we ship a goal plus a game this could be a problem,

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 02 Sep 2021 08:39

SouthDownsRoyal
Stranded
Royal_jimmy

At least a striker if not two, short. No goals could be a problem. Especially when we have a leaky defence.

Puscas doesn’t score so really we don’t have any strikers, maybe Azeez can get the odd goal but when we ship a goal plus a game this could be a problem,

The question I come back to - how many chances has Puscas missed? We are scoring goals but the service currently into him is not what he is going to score from, I feel some of the additions will help create the sort of chance he will thrive on. A run of games will also help him, his time here has been in fits and starts often with just 1 or 2 games to prove himself before Joao saunters back in - a run of games and better chance creation and who knows.

My main concern is that without abother striker we are left with the kids if Puscas gets a knock (which he likely will), then we may struggle.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Sep 2021 12:20

Think Puscas will really miss Azeez.

Hopefully Rahman knows how to cross, but he's not going to have much to aim for.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 02 Sep 2021 12:31

Snowflake Royal Think Puscas will really miss Azeez.

Hopefully Rahman knows how to cross, but he's not going to have much to aim for.

I am surprised Puscas is over 6 feet, when I see him he looks a lot less. Can’t have much of a spring.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 02 Sep 2021 13:36

Snowflake Royal Think Puscas will really miss Azeez.

Why single out the one player?

With all our midfield signings, i do hope that allows Ejaria/swift to push right up alongside Puscas to be each others foil. But thats wishful thinking.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Sep 2021 13:50

tbf we have 3 very good strikers injured. A lot depends on when they can come back. If Azeez is now 6 weeks away, and Joao not long after, then its a different story.

Obvs its far more likely with us to be 6 and 8 months away rather than weeks though

Likewise with Araruna and McIntyre, if they're back relatively quickly its not an unbalanced squad from that point.

1865 posts