MATCHWATCH : Sheffield United (h) sponsored by Tony & Barry Wagstaff

278 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Sheffield United (h) sponsored by Tony & Barry Wagstaff

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Mar 2018 17:22

Zip
Hound You didn’t watch last night did you Ian?

This is precisely the point. The performance was utterly appalling save the first ten odd minutes in the second half. We were comically bad in the first half. Sheffield Utd let us off the hook. They should have scored 7 or 8. Defensively it was embarrassing. Midfield was at best average and upfront Martin was awful and Bodvarsson wholly ineffectual.

The performance was in my view worse than Burton at home and right down there with the worst efforts I have seen from the club in the past 40 odd years.

I don't dispute the performance was appalling. I've seen appalling performances these season. They go with the territory of being 18th and in awful form. I was expecting an appalling performance. I just don't understand why so many are surprised by it and think it tells us anything new.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 01 Mar 2018 18:02

Snowflake Royal
Zip
Hound You didn’t watch last night did you Ian?

This is precisely the point. The performance was utterly appalling save the first ten odd minutes in the second half. We were comically bad in the first half. Sheffield Utd let us off the hook. They should have scored 7 or 8. Defensively it was embarrassing. Midfield was at best average and upfront Martin was awful and Bodvarsson wholly ineffectual.

The performance was in my view worse than Burton at home and right down there with the worst efforts I have seen from the club in the past 40 odd years.

I don't dispute the performance was appalling. I've seen appalling performances these season. They go with the territory of being 18th and in awful form. I was expecting an appalling performance. I just don't understand why so many are surprised by it and think it tells us anything new.

On the back of a decent performance against Derby it was a bit surprising that we were so so poor. Worst performanace of the season for me. Even by the dire standards of this season the first ten minutes were a new low.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 Mar 2018 18:50

Exactly that. All the optimism that came out of the Derby game evaporated within that opening ten mins, which was shocking in how utterly inept it was

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Mar 2018 19:06

Hound Exactly that. All the optimism that came out of the Derby game evaporated within that opening ten mins, which was shocking in how utterly inept it was

Yeah, this is clearly where we're differing. I don't think we're going to turn a corner and start getting stronger. I think we're going to stay pretty much the same, occasionally up, mostly down. Scratching out just enough points (hopefully) and follow decent performances with shambolic ones and a string of shambolic ones with a surprisingly decent one or two.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 Mar 2018 19:24

Possibly. Though the one time we did get going this year we managed to pick up 14pts from 7. So we can do it

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 01 Mar 2018 20:03

To the people saying it was the worst performance of the season. Surely it wasn't as bad as Burton?

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 01 Mar 2018 20:05

Snowflake Royal
Hound Exactly that. All the optimism that came out of the Derby game evaporated within that opening ten mins, which was shocking in how utterly inept it was

Yeah, this is clearly where we're differing. I don't think we're going to turn a corner and start getting stronger. I think we're going to stay pretty much the same, occasionally up, mostly down. Scratching out just enough points (hopefully) and follow decent performances with shambolic ones and a string of shambolic ones with a surprisingly decent one or two.

Where do you think we'll pick up the points?

In the last 17 games our only two victories have come against Stevenage and Burton.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 01 Mar 2018 20:24

genome To the people saying it was the worst performance of the season. Surely it wasn't as bad as Burton?

I thought it was worse. It was so easy for Sheffield Utd. They missed a good number of sitters. We started so badly and didn’t recover. At least against Burton we were in the game. Apart from ten minutes on Tuesday night we were simply not at the races.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 01 Mar 2018 20:27

Yeah, fair play. I forget that it could've been 6 or 7.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 Mar 2018 20:44

Was different to the Burton game, dunno if I’d say better or worse

Burton were clearly very very limited whilst Sheff Utd had some handy players. Burton came to defend and we were utterly incapable of breaking them down, whilst Sheff Utd tore through us a number of times. To be fair to them they never sat back

Both rubbish but different games entirely

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Mar 2018 21:24

genome
Snowflake Royal

Where do you think we'll pick up the points?

In the last 17 games our only two victories have come against Stevenage and Burton.

Did you think we'd get a point against Derby?

We've got 12 games left, we probably only need about 3 wins and 3 draws, 2 wins and 6 draws. Something like that. I'm not saying we're favourites to win any matches, but I think Bolton and Leeds are beatable. I'd like to feel we can get 2-6 points out of the next three, 4 would put us pretty much bang on track for the point a game I thought we needed over the final 18 matches.

We've gone on a good run of form before having been utter toss. It's possible we can do it again, though I doubt it.

I just don't see the point in borrowing trouble and hitting panic stations. It's bad enough following this shit season as it is, without doom-mongering. We've got further from danger over the last six games, because we're no closer to the actual relegation zone and the teams below have had six matches pass where they failed to overtake us. As long as there are 3/4 teams who have to overtake us and 3/4 points gap between us and the zone I'll remain pretty calm. And if we go down, it'll be because we deserve it. It probably won't be the end of the world. It might even be a positive in the longer term if it means we sort out wage bill out, cut our cloth and bounce back with a more positive attitude around the squad and in the stands. Plus we might get to back more of the youngsters in the first team.

The only thing we can do to affect the situation is turn up and back the team. Or not turn up / turn up and boo to make it worse I guess. Worry about what you can actually control.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 01 Mar 2018 21:26

Zip
genome To the people saying it was the worst performance of the season. Surely it wasn't as bad as Burton?

I thought it was worse. It was so easy for Sheffield Utd. They missed a good number of sitters. We started so badly and didn’t recover. At least against Burton we were in the game. Apart from ten minutes on Tuesday night we were simply not at the races.

Got to say though, it's an example of how mad football is, in a way. We nearly levelled with them, if that penalty had been a bit better. Who knows what would have happened then?

Would have been hilarious, given how atrocious we were, to actually escape with a point.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 01 Mar 2018 21:32

a little bit agree muirinho

The hilarious thing is....those with the most to say weren’t even there to see it...they were too busy...going cross-eyed in front of their keyboards on here lol

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 01 Mar 2018 21:33

muirinho
Zip

Got to say though, it's an example of how mad football is, in a way. We nearly levelled with them, if that penalty had been a bit better. Who knows what would have happened then?

Would have been hilarious, given how atrocious we were, to actually escape with a point.

I know. We didn’t actually do that much in the first ten minutes of the second half and it would have been bizarre to have been 2-2 out of nowhere. Who knows. We could have gone on to win.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 02 Mar 2018 09:15

Far worse. Utterly bafflingly clueless.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 02 Mar 2018 12:02

AthleticoSpizz
Tilehurstsouthbank
genome I liked the bit where he implied it was better we lost last night so we don't get complacent with a bigger gap :lol:

Is that what you'd call an Ian-ism?
sNOwflakin idea

:lol:

Mr. Pharmacist

by Mr. Pharmacist » 02 Mar 2018 13:24

genome Yeah, fair play. I forget that it could've been 6 or 7.

Or Birmingham? That was utter dog shit.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 02 Mar 2018 13:43

muirinho
Zip

Got to say though, it's an example of how mad football is, in a way. We nearly levelled with them, if that penalty had been a bit better. Who knows what would have happened then?Would have been hilarious, given how atrocious we were, to actually escape with a point.

That's the way footy has always been, though. You don't always get whet you deserve and vice-versa. You hear that up and down the country from managers, fans, etc. 'We didn't deserve this or that but I'll take it', etc.

278 posts