Ex Players

3171 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Ex Players

by Sutekh » 04 Feb 2022 15:41

South Coast Royal Did anybody see what looked an overweight or just bulked up Dominic Samuel struggling to make an impact the other day v Rangers?

Another to file under "promising but may or may not make it" which is probably the case with most youngsters at most clubs as so few really do make it.

27 years old and has now played in all 4 of the top divisions in England and also the top division in Scotland, don't think there's too many players in that club.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 05 Feb 2022 11:40

Excellent article by Benjy on the Chronicle website. Nicky Forster on his time in football. One interesting thing Nicky says is, the best managers he worked under were Pardew, Coppel and Gus Poyat. because although they gave to players a framework to work in, they gave the players the ability to make their own decisions, unlike Tommy Burns who overloaded the players with information that when on the field they didn't have a clear idea of what was wanted for them to do. Could this be the reason things are so bad at the moment? I have never thought of Gus Poyat being a good manager, but with him being put into the same vein as SSC and AP, by Nicky, I am willing to change my mind. Benjy has fast become my favourite jurno.

Second part of the article is due out tomorrow (Sunday).

I don't know how to post a link, so if someone wishes to I thank them.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 05 Feb 2022 13:00

The Royal Forester Excellent article by Benjy on the Chronicle website. Nicky Forster on his time in football. One interesting thing Nicky says is, the best managers he worked under were Pardew, Coppel and Gus Poyat. because although they gave to players a framework to work in, they gave the players the ability to make their own decisions, unlike Tommy Burns who overloaded the players with information that when on the field they didn't have a clear idea of what was wanted for them to do. Could this be the reason things are so bad at the moment? I have never thought of Gus Poyat being a good manager, but with him being put into the same vein as SSC and AP, by Nicky, I am willing to change my mind. Benjy has fast become my favourite jurno.

Poyet was very close to taking over before we appointed Adkins iirc. Not sure what the blocker was.

Agree on Benjy, he's practically perfect in every way. Here's the article https://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/news ... g-accept-/

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 05 Feb 2022 13:35

Yes agree re Benjy, he's started really well....plenty of interviews with old players, and some good articles on the protests, again with interviews.

So much better than Low, he just copies and pastes stuff off twitter/BBC

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 05 Feb 2022 15:35

Pepe the Horseman
The Royal Forester Excellent article by Benjy on the Chronicle website. Nicky Forster on his time in football. One interesting thing Nicky says is, the best managers he worked under were Pardew, Coppel and Gus Poyat. because although they gave to players a framework to work in, they gave the players the ability to make their own decisions, unlike Tommy Burns who overloaded the players with information that when on the field they didn't have a clear idea of what was wanted for them to do. Could this be the reason things are so bad at the moment? I have never thought of Gus Poyat being a good manager, but with him being put into the same vein as SSC and AP, by Nicky, I am willing to change my mind. Benjy has fast become my favourite jurno.

Poyet was very close to taking over before we appointed Adkins iirc. Not sure what the blocker was.

Agree on Benjy, he's practically perfect in every way. Here's the article https://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/news ... g-accept-/

Thanks Pepe, for the link. Now you mention it, I do remember Poyet's name being talked about at sometime about the manager's job. I seem to recall it didn't go well with the a lot of the fans (me included, at the time)

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Feb 2022 15:39

No framework for the players to make their own decisions in sounds spot on.

We don't have a way of playing. It's go out there and pass your way to success.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's loads of complicated instructions within that given the set piece defending etc

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 05 Feb 2022 16:20

Really enjoyed it, even if someone did have to point out that the Playoff Final was in Cardiff and not Wembley in 2001 :? Looking forward to part 2 tomorrow. Forster was one of my first Reading heroes. Love that fact his first attribute was greedy - yeah, no shit :lol:

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 05 Feb 2022 17:31

Sutekh
South Coast Royal Did anybody see what looked an overweight or just bulked up Dominic Samuel struggling to make an impact the other day v Rangers?

Another to file under "promising but may or may not make it" which is probably the case with most youngsters at most clubs as so few really do make it.

27 years old and has now played in all 4 of the top divisions in England and also the top division in Scotland, don't think there's too many players in that club.

Not bad for someone with only 150 career appearances. Lets also not forget that he only made 1 appearance in the Premiership and 1 appearance in League 2.

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 05 Feb 2022 18:39

Antonio Conte gives players exact instructions of what to do with the ball in every occasion- some players hate it, others love the success it brings. It does tend to tire after a few seasons though

There is no one-size-fits-all; it’s about doing it well.

mad79

by mad79 » 05 Feb 2022 20:08

Crystal Palace manager Patrick Vieira described winger Michael Olise as a "very special player" after the 20-year-old helped the Eagles beat Hartlepool in the FA Cup fourth round. :x :x :x :x oh dear £8million.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 05 Feb 2022 23:40

mad79 Crystal Palace manager Patrick Vieira described winger Michael Olise as a "very special player" after the 20-year-old helped the Eagles beat Hartlepool in the FA Cup fourth round. :x :x :x :x oh dear £8million.

I will never feel sorry about mugging teams off if we manage to recover our current situation. Revenge for losing players like Olise and Richards for well below their value.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 06 Feb 2022 07:02

We've done more than our fair share of taking advantage of teams in financial difficulties in the past (York, Cambridge Cork City)

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 06 Feb 2022 07:52

From Despair To Where? We've done more than our fair share of taking advantage of teams in financial difficulties in the past (York, Cambridge Cork City)

Yes this happens in football to all clubs but hopefully the club have learned to minimise the possibility by offering highly promising youngsters longer contracts rather than just a couple of years at a time.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 06 Feb 2022 10:52

Sutekh
From Despair To Where? We've done more than our fair share of taking advantage of teams in financial difficulties in the past (York, Cambridge Cork City)

Yes this happens in football to all clubs but hopefully the club have learned to minimise the possibility by offering highly promising youngsters longer contracts rather than just a couple of years at a time.

It's a tricky one because for every promising Olise there is Liam Kelly, Dominic Samuel, Danny Loader, Novakovich etc., etc.
So it's all very well when they become successful but it is a big financial commitment if it doesn't work out.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Feb 2022 12:47

South Coast Royal
Sutekh

It's a tricky one because for every promising Olise there is Liam Kelly, Dominic Samuel, Danny Loader, Novakovich etc., etc.
So it's all very well when they become successful but it is a big financial commitment if it doesn't work out.

Agree with the sentiment, not sure you've picked the right names given the number of games they got for us / where they went after.

Watson and East etc might have been better picks than Kelly and Loader in particular.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 06 Feb 2022 12:50

South Coast Royal
Sutekh

One way round it could be a one or two year contract with an option for another one/two years. That way we could keep the more promising youngsters after the initial contract whilst letting the "also rans" depart after the first one or two years.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 07 Feb 2022 11:22

Gabe osho is getting rave reviews at Luton having moved into a holding midfielder role this season. He has forced his way into the first team now and has played 17 times this season.
Last edited by Brogue on 07 Feb 2022 11:26, edited 1 time in total.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 07 Feb 2022 11:26

Brogue Gabe osho is getting rave reviews at Luton having moved into a holding midfielder role this season. He has forced his way into the first team now and has played 27 times this season.

Shows potentially another mistake made there.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 07 Feb 2022 11:36

YorkshireRoyal99
Brogue Gabe osho is getting rave reviews at Luton having moved into a holding midfielder role this season. He has forced his way into the first team now and has played 27 times this season.

Possibly, but he was never going to sign a new contract and I won't begrudge a player to leave to try and find 1st team football. Was quite a way behind in the pecking order for CB, although might've been second choice RB.

Hiram K Hackenbacker

by Hiram K Hackenbacker » 07 Feb 2022 11:38

Hendo
YorkshireRoyal99

Possibly, but he was never going to sign a new contract and I won't begrudge a player to leave to try and find 1st team football. Was quite a way behind in the pecking order for CB, although might've been second choice RB.

I agree

3171 posts