Ex Players

3173 posts
oldebiscuit

Re: Ex Players

by oldebiscuit » 04 Jan 2023 10:14

Snowflake Royal
oldebiscuit
Snowflake Royal Why are you against players making a gesture in favour of racial equality, and why do you think you get a say in what they should do?

You just can’t help yourself can you? Where does it say that I think that I should get a say in what they should do? And, in my opinion (that I am totally entitled to without you unqualified disdain), I am against it for a number of reasons, and one is that it is not a gesture in favour of racial equality, it is just a fashion that young men love to go along with and be part of, it’s not for unity, it’s for fun, as I have already stated.
Another reason is, do you actually think that a racist is going to watch the taking of the knee and say to him/herself that “ oh! I’d better not be a racist anymore “? I don’t think so.
If you want to do something to show your objection to racism is that the next time you hear someone spouting out some racist stuff, then confront and object, but then I suspect you haven’t got the spine to do this and would rather hide behind a cowardly keyboard.
Change doesn’t happen until action is taken, real action of confrontation, not poncey aerobics or big statements on websites. Remember, see a racist…….confront. Get It?

So you know what they're doing it for better than them, i direct contradiction of what they say?

You're saying they should stop. That IS trying to dictate how they protest.

I'll tell you one thing for sure. Taking a knee may not convince anyone to stop being racist, but it certainly doesn't hurt and lobbying people to stop taking the knee WILL embolden racists. Because it's a victory for them.

You’re doing it again, I haven’t said anything that you are claiming that I have. And what will embolden racists is people that merely condemn racism from behind the safety of a keyboard and nothing else. Do you think Rosa Parks should have conducted her actions via a keyboard or make the physical stand where the action was actually needed?

It’s a shame because this site was once an interesting, well contributed and fairly light hearted site, but contributors are now staying away in numbers, and it’s thanks to people like you and your like minded cronies that hover around, poking your nose into every thread like you’re some kind of authority (which you most certainly are not), picking up on the slightest error and not missing your chance to try and bully someone with your unwanted opinions.

grey_squirrel

by grey_squirrel » 04 Jan 2023 10:28

Hear hear Olde Biscuit!

Couldn’t have put it better and why I am one of the dozens who bothers little with this site anymore.

If you spend 23 hours a day, every day on the same internet site, I suppose you’re on the slippery slope to very sad “little man” megalomania.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 04 Jan 2023 10:45

hmmm.

Not always in agreement with Ian, but Olde Biscuit's claim that the knee " is not a gesture in favour of racial equality, it is just a fashion that young men love to go along with and be part of, it’s not for unity, it’s for fun" should not go unchallenged.

Still cannot see why it annoys people, as long as the players are happy to do it.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Jan 2023 12:17

Amusing that the old bigot thinks he has any insight into whether I challenge racism in person or not.

Or bringing up Rosa Parks taking a stand where she experiences discrimination as right (presumably because it was long ago in the US so doesn’t threaten him in his comfy white privelege), but football players doing so in their professional environment are wrong.

LOL @ the idea that he has any insight into the motivations of black 20 something footballers to understand them better than they do.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 04 Jan 2023 12:25

LUX hmmm.

Not always in agreement with Ian, but Olde Biscuit's claim that the knee " is not a gesture in favour of racial equality, it is just a fashion that young men love to go along with and be part of, it’s not for unity, it’s for fun" should not go unchallenged.

Still cannot see why it annoys people, as long as the players are happy to do it.

Indeed. Can't get over someone complaining their own opinions are being treated with disdain, while they are showing such disdain for everybody else's opinions and motivations. Particularly the footballers themselves.

As for relevance and impact - if it really was ineffective and irrelevant, nobody would notice it or comment on it.

But yeah, maybe instead we should encourage team-members to hunt down and confront the keyboard warriors and so-called fans who racially abuse them and kung-fu kick them, Cantona style. That would be taking more of a direct effective stand, wouldn't it?

Be a full-time job though.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Jan 2023 12:27

muirinho
LUX hmmm.

Indeed. Can't get over someone complaining their own opinions are being treated with disdain, while they are showing such disdain for everybody else's opinions and motivations. Particularly the footballers themselves.

As for relevance and impact - if it really was ineffective and irrelevant, nobody would notice it or comment on it.

But yeah, maybe instead we should encourage team-members to hunt down and confront the keyboard warriors and so-called fans who racially abuse them and kung-fu kick them, Cantona style. That would be taking more of a direct effective stand, wouldn't it?

Be a full-time job though.

Some how I can't see oldebiscuit supporting that. :?

JedMaxwell

by JedMaxwell » 04 Jan 2023 12:30

LUX hmmm.

It annoys people because it challenges the status quo that they benefit from.

Progressive people will see a group of young role models taking the opportunity to come together and highlight their commitment to anti-racism and anti-discrimination, and feel that it's a good thing.

For others it flicks a switch in their mind, perhaps one they didn't even know was in there, and causes them to see it as something which is targeting all white people, as opposed to the institutionised issues which in reality affect everyone in different ways.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 04 Jan 2023 13:50

I have a feeling that people getting offended by players taking the knee read a certain type of newspaper that vilifies asylum seekers.

The point of taking knee is raise awareness - you'll never change the mind of a 18+ year old bigot, but the younger generation might be inclined to learn a thing or 2 about the gesture and might be interested in learning what it all means. The longer it continues for the more of an audience it will play to.
A big reason racism is still in the game its because racist parents take their kids to games - Be racist in front of the kids in the ground - The kids think that is acceptable. Maybe now the kids are going to learn that their parents are pathetic losers and maybe that scares some people.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 04 Jan 2023 17:48

grey_squirrel Hear hear Olde Biscuit!

Couldn’t have put it better and why I am one of the dozens who bothers little with this site anymore.

If you spend 23 hours a day, every day on the same internet site, I suppose you’re on the slippery slope to very sad “little man” megalomania.

You aren't missed.
Perhaps spend your newly found free time learning how to educate yourself so you might stop being a bigoted dickhead.
Last edited by Orion1871 on 04 Jan 2023 21:09, edited 2 times in total.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Jan 2023 18:04

Snowflake Royal. Cleaning up HNA one bigot at a time. 8)

oldebiscuit

by oldebiscuit » 04 Jan 2023 22:09

Snowflake Royal Snowflake Royal. Cleaning up HNA one bigot at a time. 8)

You need to learn how to understand and use the English language correctly first. You are one of the bigots on this site, with your attempts to condescend upon those that don’t agree with your point of view.
Incidentally, were you the Jack Russell dog syndrome Boy at School going around causing arguments and then getting bigger boys to help you out.
Last edited by oldebiscuit on 04 Jan 2023 23:05, edited 1 time in total.

scumbag

by scumbag » 04 Jan 2023 22:35

LUX I am 100% in favour of taking the knee, as long as the players want to. I can understand people finding the gesture futile, but actually being upset by it is, well, “odd”.

+1

/end argument

oldebiscuit

by oldebiscuit » 04 Jan 2023 23:00

Snowflake Royal Amusing that the old bigot thinks he has any insight into whether I challenge racism in person or not.

Or bringing up Rosa Parks taking a stand where she experiences discrimination as right (presumably because it was long ago in the US so doesn’t threaten him in his comfy white privelege), but football players doing so in their professional environment are wrong.

LOL @ the idea that he has any insight into the motivations of black 20 something footballers to understand them better than they do.

A fine example of plagiarism itself. A comfy white privilege is something that I accused you of when I told you off a little while back when you were making a dick of yourself and trying to preach about how Black Folk felt, and now you have taken my own words and tried to impress your little tribe with them. Grow up little boy.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 05 Jan 2023 08:29

Some players will continue to take the knee for as long as they feel it's necessary. That's entirely up to them to decide when that is.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 05 Jan 2023 08:44

From Despair To Where? Some players will continue to take the knee for as long as they feel it's necessary. That's entirely up to them to decide when that is.

Well quite - they will do it as long as they feel it continues to bring attention to the issues behind it. As said elsewhere, in and of itself, it won't change much but if it starts conversations that wouldn't otherwise have happened, then it will remain a valuable exercise. The simple fact that there are people who get het up about some blokes going down on one knee for 10 seconds proves it is probably still required and if it really bothers you that much, don't turn on the tv or take your seat until the game starts - better to miss 5 or 10 seconds of the match than watch something that may get you so riled up, you do yourself a mischief.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 05 Jan 2023 09:23

Just noticed that George Puscas scored for Genoa against Bari on Boxing Day in a 2-1 win, taking his season total to a whopping 2 for the season, although he hasn't been a regular in Genoa's side throughout the season thus far.

A bit of irony is that we are now regularly playing with two strikers and the striker we had (have) on our books who probably suited that more than anyone we have was Puscas. Seemed near useless on his own, but much more effective in a two and he could have done well in this team currently and probably would have hit a few goals for us. Unfortunately, finances dictated.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 05 Jan 2023 21:53

Stoke apparently willing to let Josh Laurent go this month.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Jan 2023 23:22

Ouchie. Such a big start to Championship football and his career is quickly deflating.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 06 Jan 2023 03:10

Oliver Pendlebury signs for Aldershot. What happened there? Scored twice in his second game for Wycombe but then only made a total of 4 appearances.

JedMaxwell

by JedMaxwell » 06 Jan 2023 07:22

Stranded Stoke apparently willing to let Josh Laurent go this month.

Let's make a call.

3173 posts