Ex Players

3173 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Ex Players

by Sutekh » 19 Nov 2023 18:27

Royalwaster Puscas scores in win over Israel yesterday ... it's strange how he continues to play at international level and in Serie A but just not being good enough for the Championship. A genuine question - if he was still at the club, would you pick him over Sam Smith?

Yes I would but then I wouldn't play him on his own up front and make sure the team played to his strengths unlike the utter bogheads we've had as managers for the last few years.

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 19 Nov 2023 18:48

Sutekh
Royalwaster Puscas scores in win over Israel yesterday ... it's strange how he continues to play at international level and in Serie A but just not being good enough for the Championship. A genuine question - if he was still at the club, would you pick him over Sam Smith?

Yes I would but then I wouldn't play him on his own up front and make sure the team played to his strengths unlike the utter bogheads we've had as managers for the last few years.

No way, Sam Smith has just recovered from injury and looks electric right now, scoring in his last 3 games.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Nov 2023 23:43

Moot point. He's gone. He was unaffordable for this level. And not that good.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 20 Nov 2023 08:51

No, I'd probably play them together.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 20 Nov 2023 10:15

Hendo

I watched the match highlights ... he had a far few chances and looked quite lively - but still not sure he's that good. A bit of a poacher.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Nov 2023 10:37

Checked recently and think he’s barely played for Genoa this year and wasn’t a roaring success last year

We did very well to get the deal we did for him if figures are to be believed

Think the money is in installments so hopefully be a little stream of income for a few years

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 20 Nov 2023 12:53

Hound Checked recently and think he’s barely played for Genoa this year and wasn’t a roaring success last year

We did very well to get the deal we did for him if figures are to be believed

Think the money is in installments so hopefully be a little stream of income for a few years

To be fair, he has started, or come on as a substitute in 6 of the last 7 games. I did not check back any further.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 20 Nov 2023 13:53

Hendo

Agree, I thought Puscas was significantly better when paired with another forward. I don't think it was a case of not being good enough for the Championship, just not suited to the league.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 20 Nov 2023 17:30

YorkshireRoyal99
Hendo

Agree, I thought Puscas was significantly better when paired with another forward. I don't think it was a case of not being good enough for the Championship, just not suited to the league.

But the Championship was the league. Do you mean not suited to our terrible style of play?

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 21 Nov 2023 09:03

Royalwaster
YorkshireRoyal99
Hendo

But the Championship was the league. Do you mean not suited to our terrible style of play?

As in the physicality of the league, but yes, our style of play rarely helped him either.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 21 Nov 2023 09:25

I feel like a poacher who plays on the shoulder is a luxury position in modern football where strikers are expected to be more involved in the build up and press off the ball. I'm not sure how Cureton or ALF would fit in, though I guess that sort of player could be a super sub like ALF.

Forget us not playing to his strengths; I think Puscas isn't really suited to the modern game.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 21 Nov 2023 10:37

Let’s be honest you don’t come through an academy like inter Milan's and play regularly for their b team unless there is some sort of raw talent there. Of course raw talent is only one of a number of metrics that a player needs to be a successful footballer. We all know that. But for whatever reason he didn’t make it here. And yes, he doesn’t appear to be pulling up any trees at Genoa. It doesn’t mean he’s shit though, he still regularly gets in the Romania team who are 48th in the world rankings - and has a fairly decent (ish) record for them. Hell, his first season here he scored he scored 14 in 42 games which is pretty decent in your first season in a new league and different country, most strikers aim for around a 1 in 3 average, one in 2 strikers are like gold dust. But like all players, they just need to find a system that suits them, and a manager who knows how to use them. This goes for any player around the world. I’m sure Sergio Aguero would have been shit for us too if we had used him as a lone striker hitting long balls into his throat all the time.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 21 Nov 2023 12:19

Brogue Let’s be honest you don’t come through an academy like inter Milan's and play regularly for their b team unless there is some sort of raw talent there. Of course raw talent is only one of a number of metrics that a player needs to be a successful footballer. We all know that. But for whatever reason he didn’t make it here. And yes, he doesn’t appear to be pulling up any trees at Genoa. It doesn’t mean he’s shit though, he still regularly gets in the Romania team who are 48th in the world rankings - and has a fairly decent (ish) record for them. Hell, his first season here he scored he scored 14 in 42 games which is pretty decent in your first season in a new league and different country, most strikers aim for around a 1 in 3 average, one in 2 strikers are like gold dust. But like all players, they just need to find a system that suits them, and a manager who knows how to use them. This goes for any player around the world. I’m sure Sergio Aguero would have been shit for us too if we had used him as a lone striker hitting long balls into his throat all the time.

Indeed

Too many strikers are prolific elsewhere and flatter to deceive here. Can’t be a coincidence

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 21 Nov 2023 22:39

Sal Bibbo on tour continues to sheff wed

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Nov 2023 21:42

Super Jeff Hendrick does his bit to preserve the 106.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 05 Dec 2023 20:42

Osho....one that got away? Been impressive for Luton so far.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 05 Dec 2023 20:46

Ascotexgunner Osho....one that got away? Been impressive for Luton so far.

If he'd stayed, we'd have probably ruined him.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 05 Dec 2023 20:51

WestYorksRoyal
Ascotexgunner Osho....one that got away? Been impressive for Luton so far.

If he'd stayed, we'd have probably ruined him.

Very true, we do seem to be good at doing that.

Rax

by Rax » 05 Dec 2023 22:51

URZZZZ
Brogue Let’s be honest you don’t come through an academy like inter Milan's and play regularly for their b team unless there is some sort of raw talent there. Of course raw talent is only one of a number of metrics that a player needs to be a successful footballer. We all know that. But for whatever reason he didn’t make it here. And yes, he doesn’t appear to be pulling up any trees at Genoa. It doesn’t mean he’s shit though, he still regularly gets in the Romania team who are 48th in the world rankings - and has a fairly decent (ish) record for them. Hell, his first season here he scored he scored 14 in 42 games which is pretty decent in your first season in a new league and different country, most strikers aim for around a 1 in 3 average, one in 2 strikers are like gold dust. But like all players, they just need to find a system that suits them, and a manager who knows how to use them. This goes for any player around the world. I’m sure Sergio Aguero would have been shit for us too if we had used him as a lone striker hitting long balls into his throat all the time.

Indeed

Too many strikers are prolific elsewhere and flatter to deceive here. Can’t be a coincidence

Vydra was terrible here amd then couldn't stop scoring when he left :(

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Dec 2023 23:11

Rax
URZZZZ

Indeed

Vydra was terrible here amd then couldn't stop scoring when he left :(

That's because some idiot played him wide left here to start and ruined his fragile confidence.

3173 posts