Ex Players

3171 posts
Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Ex Players

by Franchise FC » 21 Mar 2024 16:08

SCIAG
Hendo Interesting read on Greg Halford and his autism diagnosis.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68617366

His Premier League break came at Reading, becoming their record signing in January 2007.

However, a first transfer was always going to be tricky.

"It was the first move to Reading where I'd finish training and I'd literally go home after that - I didn't want to go into the cafeteria, I didn't want to have lunch, I didn't want to chat with people," Halford remembers.

"Ultimately that was the reason I was sold from Reading because they told me that I didn't fit in personality wise, which was tough. But it was something that I learned from."

Reading's then director of football Nicky Hammond said at the time that Halford hadn't made the impact he and the club would have liked and that "players do move on quite quickly if it's felt that the fit isn't quite right".

"This is absolutely no reflection on Greg as a person or a player and he has been a very good professional during his short time with us," Hammond added.

And people say players aren’t relatable any more.

Nothing to do with the drug taking, then ?

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 21 Mar 2024 16:21

Jordan Obita has signed an extension at Hibernian to keep him in Edinburgh until 2026; seems to be settled in well there.

Jordan Obita says his move to Hibs has been "perfect" after signing a contract extension that will keep him at the club until 2026.

The 29-year-old is now eyeing a strong end to his first full season at Easter Road as his side look to remain in the top six and finish in the European places.

"I'm really happy," the defender told club media, external. "I've been enjoying myself here. It was really easy. When they came to me and offered a new deal, I was really happy because I've only been here seven months.

"I've been playing a lot of minutes, so I was really proud that the club wanted to offer me an extension.

"It was a big move, I'd never moved from more area in Reading. It was a big step up here to Scotland but I've settled in really well. It's been perfect.

"In England, you don't get to play against Celtic and Rangers. That'd be the equivalent of playing against a Premier League team. We've progressed really well and hopefully we can finish the season well."

Obita's family have also settled down in the capital, but the dad-of-three admits juggling professional football with fatherhood comes with it's challenges.

"[It's] difficult. You get home but you've got to deal with the three kids - they keep you busy. They're really enjoying it here too."

MartinRdg

by MartinRdg » 21 Mar 2024 16:39

Mr Angry Jordan Obita has signed an extension at Hibernian to keep him in Edinburgh until 2026; seems to be settled in well there.

Jordan Obita says his move to Hibs has been "perfect" after signing a contract extension that will keep him at the club until 2026.

The 29-year-old is now eyeing a strong end to his first full season at Easter Road as his side look to remain in the top six and finish in the European places.

"I'm really happy," the defender told club media, external. "I've been enjoying myself here. It was really easy. When they came to me and offered a new deal, I was really happy because I've only been here seven months.

"I've been playing a lot of minutes, so I was really proud that the club wanted to offer me an extension.

"It was a big move, I'd never moved from more area in Reading. It was a big step up here to Scotland but I've settled in really well. It's been perfect.

"In England, you don't get to play against Celtic and Rangers. That'd be the equivalent of playing against a Premier League team. We've progressed really well and hopefully we can finish the season well."

Obita's family have also settled down in the capital, but the dad-of-three admits juggling professional football with fatherhood comes with it's challenges.

"[It's] difficult. You get home but you've got to deal with the three kids - they keep you busy. They're really enjoying it here too."

Can't believe he's still only 29...

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Mar 2024 17:19

Franchise FC
SCIAG
Hendo Interesting read on Greg Halford and his autism diagnosis.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68617366

And people say players aren’t relatable any more.

Nothing to do with the drug taking, then ?

Yeah, at the time it was widely shared he was coked up to the eyeballs.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 21 Mar 2024 17:46

Didn't Roy Keane allegedly lose his shit over us knowingly selling him a cokehead and neglecting to mention it?

Like you'd fcuking mention that.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 21 Mar 2024 18:11

From Despair To Where? Didn't Roy Keane allegedly lose his shit over us knowingly selling him a cokehead and neglecting to mention it?

Caveat emptor

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Mar 2024 13:07

Yep.

Sorry Roy, not our fault your medicals don't screen for drug abuse. Ours do since we signed Greg.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 30 Mar 2024 21:57

Only just learned that Daniel Carrico moved to the Chinese Super League to sign for Wuhan FC in February 2020 :lol:

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 31 Mar 2024 09:20

Another great win for Phil Parkinsons Wrexham beating 2nd place Mansfield 2-0, could still do a great job for the Royals if we survive this crisis,

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 31 Mar 2024 09:23

From Despair To Where? Didn't Roy Keane allegedly lose his shit over us knowingly selling him a cokehead and neglecting to mention it?

I know Phil Parkinson would have mentioned it when we signed him from Colchester.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 31 Mar 2024 10:00

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 31 Mar 2024 18:29

Sutekh

Actually if Parky does comes back Greg could still do a job for us, my mate at Colchester reckons he could have played for England. He also stated his best ever player at Layer Road was a certain Jamie Cureton, could he solve our striker problem?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 02 Apr 2024 15:10

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 03 Apr 2024 11:32

Ex Royals youngsterDavid Nyarko has signed for Swedish side Grebbestads IF.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 05 Apr 2024 11:49

Just noticed that one time Royals triallist Dennis Lota passed away a decade ago from Malaria at the very young age of 40. Think he trialled unsuccessfully for Pards around 2000, seem to recall there was a lot of talk about him amongst some fans at the time.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 05 Apr 2024 13:35

It was definitely in the Elm Park days.

I think a lot of the interest around him was down to the fact that it was only an injury that prevented him being on the Zambian team plane that crashed, killing everyone on board.

They were tipped to win the 1994 ACON.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 05 Apr 2024 14:32

From Despair To Where? It was definitely in the Elm Park days.

I think a lot of the interest around him was down to the fact that it was only an injury that prevented him being on the Zambian team plane that crashed, killing everyone on board.

They were tipped to win the 1994 ACON.

Just a general comment that if you have the time to spare, Zambia's 1994 AFCON is one for a sit down and a long read. The Reading link is Ian Porterfield taking over, just missing out on the 1994 world cup and taking them a long way into the AFCON that year.

When the 2012 edition was held in Gabon, site of the plan crash, Zambia won it for the first time.

Penalty shootout here: https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comment ... ne_of_the/

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 05 Apr 2024 14:39

Weren't we linked to Stopilla Sunzu from the 2012 team?

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 10 Apr 2024 09:27

At the game last night, I heard that Jamie Cureton has Motor Neurone disease; terrible news if true.

:cry:

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 10 Apr 2024 10:48

Mr Angry At the game last night, I heard that Jamie Cureton has Motor Neurone disease; terrible news if true.

:cry:

Very sad

3171 posts