Ex Players

3182 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Ex Players

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Apr 2024 08:29

It seems very much like there'll have been no sell on fee negotiated in the sale, as per Bowen public statement (although these aren't exactly always honest/correct), but because he joined us as a teen and spent time in the Academy, we'd be due a slice of any fee for having helped develop him. With Chelsea and City getting a slice of that too.

It's unlikely to be very big even if he was to go for a very big amount, because he wasn’t here very long. I guess it might hit 7 figures, but my complete stab in the dark would be a very welcome few hundred k.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 26 Apr 2024 10:10

If Olise moves before the end of the season of his 23rd birthday then we will be due 4 years worth of training compensation - this would be about 360k.

We would also, I believe, be due a solidarity payment. 5% of the transfer fee is withheld and allocated to clubs who trained the player up to the age of 12-22 and varies on the length of time there.

So if Olise goes for the 60m that some press are quoting - then 5% of that is 3m that would be split across the following clubs - Chelsea (4 years), Man City (1 year) Reading (4 years). So Chelsea and us would both be due around 1.33m GBP. With City getting around 300k.

Of course, we may have a sell on fee and Bowen could have been wrong/lying.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 26 Apr 2024 10:33

Despite what has allegedly been said by others before - i struggle to believe there is no sell on fee. That would be literally outrageous and a terrible piece of business. I would have to move on from Antonio in terms of worst ever transfer / contract scenario!!

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 26 Apr 2024 10:42

Because Olise went on a release clause that would suggest to me that it's very unlikely he has a sell-on clause. Unless someone had the sense to inject a sell-on clause requirement into his release clause?

More likely the clause just stated that Reading Football Club were required to accept any bid for at least £8.3m. At which point no club is going to voluntarily accept a sell-on clause.

Even if we did have such a clause i'm 99% certain we would have agreed a financial deal to remove it during this season.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 26 Apr 2024 12:12

If he's got a minimum fee clause, I can't see why there would be a sell on clause.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 26 Apr 2024 12:16

Perhaps the release clause required a sell on %?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Apr 2024 12:37

paultheroyal Despite what has allegedly been said by others before - i struggle to believe there is no sell on fee. That would be literally outrageous and a terrible piece of business. I would have to move on from Antonio in terms of worst ever transfer / contract scenario!!

Why would you struggle to believe it?

The contract was signed with an £8m release clause (over our transfer record for an unproven teen!) when he was about 17 and had no professional experience and a number of clubs were looking at taking him on.

We're not talking a contract negotiated once he was a regular first team player, or a transfer negotiated as a star let. We're talking a transfer based on triggering a clause in a three year old contract for a, then, unproven teen

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 26 Apr 2024 13:05

Snowflake Royal
paultheroyal Despite what has allegedly been said by others before - i struggle to believe there is no sell on fee. That would be literally outrageous and a terrible piece of business. I would have to move on from Antonio in terms of worst ever transfer / contract scenario!!

The contract was signed with an £8m release clause (over our transfer record for an unproven teen!) when he was about 17 and had no professional experience and a number of clubs were looking at taking him on.

We're not talking a contract negotiated once he was a regular first team player, or a transfer negotiated as a star let. We're talking a transfer based on triggering a clause in a three year old contract for a, then, unproven teen

And Antonio isn't a great precedent. He was behind McAnuff, Kebe and HRK, it would have stunted his development to remain 4th pick. It's just a shame that Sheffield Wednesday weren't competing higher up the table and he had to make his intermediate move to Forest. Had he been competing near the top with Wednesday, perhaps West Ham would have paid them £8m and we'd have got a better sell on amount.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 26 Apr 2024 14:55

WestYorksRoyal
Snowflake Royal

And Antonio isn't a great precedent. He was behind McAnuff, Kebe and HRK, it would have stunted his development to remain 4th pick. It's just a shame that Sheffield Wednesday weren't competing higher up the table and he had to make his intermediate move to Forest. Had he been competing near the top with Wednesday, perhaps West Ham would have paid them £8m and we'd have got a better sell on amount.

Also worth noting that when Antonio left, we'd just got promoted to the Premiership and signed McLeary, so that's club captain, club legend, Nottingham Forest's top scorer the season before and a player who was a first team regular and went on to play in the semi final of the Euros ahead of him.

Not sure Antonio had any right to expect 1st team football at that stage of his career, which is the oft stated reason for him leaving.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Apr 2024 15:34

From Despair To Where?
WestYorksRoyal
Snowflake Royal Why would you struggle to believe it?

Also worth noting that when Antonio left, we'd just got promoted to the Premiership and signed McLeary, so that's club captain, club legend, Nottingham Forest's top scorer the season before and a player who was a first team regular and went on to play in the semi final of the Euros ahead of him.

Not sure Antonio had any right to expect 1st team football at that stage of his career, which is the oft stated reason for him leaving.

Paul has a bit of a well documented blindspot on Antonio.

Where pretty much most other Reading fans see it as a perfectly reasonable transfer based on timing and circumstances that has unfortunately led to us missing out on seeing a player reach a much higher standard of performance with us than they managed while here.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 27 Apr 2024 09:03

Snowflake Royal
From Despair To Where?
WestYorksRoyal And Antonio isn't a great precedent. He was behind McAnuff, Kebe and HRK, it would have stunted his development to remain 4th pick. It's just a shame that Sheffield Wednesday weren't competing higher up the table and he had to make his intermediate move to Forest. Had he been competing near the top with Wednesday, perhaps West Ham would have paid them £8m and we'd have got a better sell on amount.

Paul has a bit of a well documented blindspot on Antonio.

Where pretty much most other Reading fans see it as a perfectly reasonable transfer based on timing and circumstances that has unfortunately led to us missing out on seeing a player reach a much higher standard of performance with us than they managed while here.

Have to say though it was a fantastic scouting result for the club to have spotted Antonio thrilling the fans of Tooting each week. Really could do with them identifying the next stars stuck in non league over the next couple of seasons.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 28 Apr 2024 10:21

Was at Stevenage v Cheltenham yesterday.

Luke Southwood, ever present for two years, caught the ball down at the near post, clashed fairly innocuously with a Stevenage player, and collapsed screaming. Right in front of us and pretty horrible to see. Was eventually stretchered off and confirmed this morning that he has broken his leg.

It was always likely to be his last game for Cheltenham regardless, but rubbish to see him depart on a stretcher. He’s incredibly popular. So, a shit day all round really.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 Apr 2024 10:25

Jerry St Clair Was at Stevenage v Cheltenham yesterday.

Luke Southwood, ever present for two years, caught the ball down at the near post, clashed fairly innocuously with a Stevenage player, and collapsed screaming. Right in front of us and pretty horrible to see. Was eventually stretchered off and confirmed this morning that he has broken his leg.

It was always likely to be his last game for Cheltenham regardless, but rubbish to see him depart on a stretcher. He’s incredibly popular. So, a shit day all round really.

That really sucks

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 28 Apr 2024 18:32

From Despair To Where?
karbota Congrats to Parky with back to back promotions, who was the Banker (Despair) who said he cant man manage!

Reportage, you thick goon, it was half his squad at Bradford who said it; great when things are going well but clueless when things get a little bit tricky and too eager to try to please everyone.

I guess having a budget 2 to 3 times bigger than every other club in the league helps oil the wheels.

Again Fake News From Despair.

Exactly when did things get a bit tricky?

2011, won the League Two Manager of the Month award for December.
2011, Johnstones Paint Trophy semi-finals.
2012, Semi-Final of the League Cup following an historic victory over Premier League club Arsenal .
2013, League Cup Final at Wembley Stadium, after defeating Aston Vila in the Semi Finals.
2013, Outstanding Managerial Achievement award.
2014, Promotion to League one.
2015, Quarter-Finals of the FA Cup. after a 4–2 victory over Chelsea in the FA Cup at Stamford Bridge. Bradford City
were 2–0 down in the first half, but fought back in stunning fashion to record what Robbie Fowler called the "greatest FA Cup upset
of all time". Fans of Bradford City have gone on to call him the real "special one
2016, League one playoffs.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 28 Apr 2024 18:50

karbota
From Despair To Where?
karbota Congrats to Parky with back to back promotions, who was the Banker (Despair) who said he cant man manage!

Reportage, you thick goon, it was half his squad at Bradford who said it; great when things are going well but clueless when things get a little bit tricky and too eager to try to please everyone.

I guess having a budget 2 to 3 times bigger than every other club in the league helps oil the wheels.

2012, Semi-Final of the League Cup following an historic victory over Premier League club Arsenal .
2013, League Cup Final at Wembley Stadium, after defeating Aston Vila in the Semi Finals.
2015, Quarter-Finals of the FA Cup. after a 4–2 victory over Chelsea in the FA Cup at Stamford Bridge. Bradford City
were 2–0 down in the first half, but fought back in stunning fashion to record what Robbie Fowler called the "greatest FA Cup upset
of all time". Fans of Bradford City have gone on to call him the real "special one

And I repeat, you thick cretin, it was his own players who said it. It's on the Undr The Cosh podcast featuring Steven Davis.

I mean, it's only people who've actually been mangaged by him saying it but you be you and take Robbie Fowlers word over their's.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 28 Apr 2024 19:40

From Despair To Where?
karbota
From Despair To Where?

And I repeat, you thick cretin, it was his own players who said it. It's on the Undr The Cosh podcast featuring Steven Davis.

I mean, it's only people who've actually been mangaged by him saying it but you be you and take Robbie Fowlers word over their's.

Perhaps sharing a line with Robbie

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 29 Apr 2024 10:44

From Despair To Where?
karbota
From Despair To Where?

FFS Sober up and install spell check it is free!

1. Steven Davis never played, managed, or coached for Bradford.
2. And not just Robbie Fowler.
Bradford are still the only team, at any level, to have ever overcome a 2–0 deficit at Stamford Bridge and win during the reign of José Mourinho. Mourinho entered the Bradford dressing room after the game and shook the hand of every player as a sign of his respect.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 03 May 2024 06:26

Dave Kitson on The Price Of Football

https://youtu.be/ILddfkSBbLw?si=kfL872gacEmkopbm

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 04 May 2024 17:33

Aluko getting the last laugh with Ipswich

Crusader Royal

by Crusader Royal » 04 May 2024 18:28

Loafer Aluko getting the last laugh with Ipswich

Although at 35, hardly playing and out of contract he may not be laughing much longer….

3182 posts