Confimred loan - Ovie Ejaria

368 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Confimred loan - Ovie Ejaria

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Jul 2020 12:35

I think the point is to try to avoid folding the club given our finances and the risk of a points deduction or big fines lads.

Football money just plummeted and transfer fees could well take years to recover, so even if he was still highly desireable there's no guarantee we'd turn much profit

The message is and should always be don't spend what you can't afford.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 30 Jul 2020 12:37

Snowflake Royal You're right he wasn't shouty, that was just his stat spam and an earlier post with a massive font enlarge.

Talk to different people and they'll tell you he was best wide combined with Blackett.

I do think centrally is where he's best. But his performance remains underwhelming on end product pretty much all over the pitch bar a small spell early on. And those stats snowball is trying to base his proof on are garbage for this.

Funnily I think he was at his best (maybe not most effective) in that brief spell where he played wide left with Blackett near him and Swift on the inside. His quick movement and slick passing led to a lot more development than it did in other positions. He didn't shine but he allowed others to shine.

Don't Panic

by Don't Panic » 30 Jul 2020 12:42

Surely if we are as tight for money as people think, the best thing would be to sign Ejaria at the £3M agreed, and then promptly sell him on for a profit as everyone seems in agreement that he is worth far more than the agreed fee?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Jul 2020 12:54

Have to assume Liverpool have a hefty sell on percentage surely?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 30 Jul 2020 14:29

Don't Panic Surely if we are as tight for money as people think, the best thing would be to sign Ejaria at the £3M agreed, and then promptly sell him on for a profit as everyone seems in agreement that he is worth far more than the agreed fee?

Suspect the world know we’ve got a £3 million option. If Brentford reckoned there was a profit in him surely they would be talking to Liverpool about takinghim for £3 million rather than letting us take a cut

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 30 Jul 2020 14:39

NewCorkSeth

Funnily I think he was at his best (maybe not most effective) in that brief spell where he played wide left with Blackett near him and Swift on the inside. His quick movement and slick passing led to a lot more development than it did in other positions. He didn't shine but he allowed others to shine.

But that wasn't "Ejaria", it was three players, clearly coached to work as a three (and it was a joy to watch)

Mostly this season he's been wide, not quite a winger, often cutting in.

As for "slow" how often do we see someone sprinting for the through ball?

When they do, he slots it through. The malaise is not one player. Swift has never been high-tempo and we still slow it down by cross-crossing the back four. Not as bad as Stamball, but a fast attack on the break (by RFC) is very rare

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 30 Jul 2020 18:56

Don't Panic Surely if we are as tight for money as people think, the best thing would be to sign Ejaria at the £3M agreed, and then promptly sell him on for a profit as everyone seems in agreement that he is worth far more than the agreed fee?

£3m is probably a fair fee even accounting for his age. If he improved his end product we could get more for him, but before that happens, probably not.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 30 Jul 2020 19:45

I initially thought that but, given how well our supposed financial plight is known throughout the game, any potential buyers would probably play hard ball and out of desperation we'd end up selling him for less than what we paid!

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 31 Jul 2020 01:40

Snowflake Royal I think the point is to try to avoid folding the club given our finances and the risk of a points deduction or big fines lads.

Football money just plummeted and transfer fees could well take years to recover, so even if he was still highly desireable there's no guarantee we'd turn much profit

The message is and should always be don't spend what you can't afford.

We’ve respectfully disagreed about Ejaria in the past, and I love the guy and am convinced anything under 8mill is a bargain. 50mill if we paid 7.5 for Aluko.

But I see your point in our current position: we just can’t afford to be making financial errors atm and if our success depends solely on a bargain like Ejaria we have much bigger problems.

The only caveat to this is perhaps if we might well have the basics of a very good team deserving to be in playoffs with a good chance of promotion and so Ejaria would be a much needed missing piece to complete the jigsaw and get us up. I have always believed we are underachieving and this is likely. But for whatever reason, whether it’s Bowen or not, this hasn’t happened and we’ve punched below our weight, totally failing to make the most of the squad with Ejaria in it, so what are the chances of suddenly getting it right next season?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 31 Jul 2020 08:25

Snowball
NewCorkSeth

But that wasn't "Ejaria", it was three players, clearly coached to work as a three (and it was a joy to watch)

When they do, he slots it through. The malaise is not one player. Swift has never been high-tempo and we still slow it down by cross-crossing the back four. Not as bad as Stamball, but a fast attack on the break (by RFC) is very rare

I'm not sure what to say to that. I'm in favour of signing Ejaria. I dont really care what his strongest position is as I think 3.5m is a good fee and one that has potential to double in a short time.

I dont think it is fair to rub the "his form tailed off" card in his face as every player was out of form at one point or another this season. On his day he demands attention and can look unstoppable in motion.

I mean, Olise started to tail off after the restart quite drastically. It happens when a team isn't settled. Sign him, we won't regret it.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 31 Jul 2020 08:37

NewCorkSeth
Snowball
NewCorkSeth

I'm not sure what to say to that. I'm in favour of signing Ejaria. I dont really care what his strongest position is as I think 3.5m is a good fee and one that has potential to double in a short time.

I dont think it is fair to rub the "his form tailed off" card in his face as every player was out of form at one point or another this season. On his day he demands attention and can look unstoppable in motion.

I mean, Olise started to tail off after the restart quite drastically. It happens when a team isn't settled. Sign him, we won't regret it.

I think we might regret it if we breach FFP by £3 million and get 12 points deducted....

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 31 Jul 2020 09:10

Snowball
NewCorkSeth

As in speed of thought I would say. Rarely instinctive. Early ball etc.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 31 Jul 2020 09:33

Nameless
NewCorkSeth
Snowball

I think we might regret it if we breach FFP by £3 million and get 12 points deducted....

Is 12 points for FFP? Thought that was the going into administration deduction.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 31 Jul 2020 09:39

NewCorkSeth
Nameless
NewCorkSeth I'm not sure what to say to that. I'm in favour of signing Ejaria. I dont really care what his strongest position is as I think 3.5m is a good fee and one that has potential to double in a short time.

You're right, 12pts is for administration, FFP point deduction varies based on the amount lost above £39m, I believe the figure touted was 1pt for every £1m over the limit.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 31 Jul 2020 09:45

tidus_mi2
NewCorkSeth
Nameless

You're right, 12pts is for administration, FFP point deduction varies based on the amount lost above £39m, I believe the figure touted was 1pt for every £1m over the limit.

Birmingham got a 9 point deduction so they were 9 million over?

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 31 Jul 2020 11:22

NewCorkSeth
tidus_mi2
NewCorkSeth Is 12 points for FFP? Thought that was the going into administration deduction.

Roughly yeah, they lost £48.8m which was £9.8m over, so I imagine if they had made it an even £10m they might have got an additional point.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 31 Jul 2020 11:47

tidus_mi2
NewCorkSeth
tidus_mi2 You're right, 12pts is for administration, FFP point deduction varies based on the amount lost above £39m, I believe the figure touted was 1pt for every £1m over the limit.

Roughly yeah, they lost £48.8m which was £9.8m over, so I imagine if they had made it an even £10m they might have got an additional point.

Thank you! Any idea how much our losses are over the last 3 years?

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 31 Jul 2020 11:54

The wider question I think needs to be answered is: would we prefer Olise or Ejaria in the team? If it’s the former, there’s little point signing Ejaria.

Similar kinds of players. For me, Olise shows more & plays at a higher tempo.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 31 Jul 2020 11:59

NewCorkSeth
tidus_mi2
NewCorkSeth Birmingham got a 9 point deduction so they were 9 million over?

I think we're close to needing to break even.

We could be looking at anything from a couple of points to about 15 or 20 depending on just how much we oxf*rd up and what we can cut back.

Remember a lot of our recent big losses have actually already been lowered from bigger numbers by the stadium sale etc.

If we're not careful we could go over by a huge amount. And we ain't getting promoted to dodge the bullitt either

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 31 Jul 2020 12:14

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth
tidus_mi2 Roughly yeah, they lost £48.8m which was £9.8m over, so I imagine if they had made it an even £10m they might have got an additional point.

I think we're close to needing to break even.

We could be looking at anything from a couple of points to about 15 or 20 depending on just how much we oxf*rd up and what we can cut back.

Remember a lot of our recent big losses have actually already been lowered from bigger numbers by the stadium sale etc.

If we're not careful we could go over by a huge amount. And we ain't getting promoted to dodge the bullitt either

I read somewhere that, like, 14 of the clubs in the Championship are lobbying for lessened measures due to covid19.

The other thing to remember is IF we get a points deduction it seems likely at least 3 other clubs will too.

I am not promoting being irresponsible financially speaking but there is a certain truth to "spend money to make money".

368 posts