603 posts
morganb
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Pre season tour

by morganb » 29 Jul 2019 09:38

paultheroyal
Stranded
paultheroyal
He looks small and as others were commenting around me yesterday, in the pre match huggle fest he was noticeably shorter than some of the players. We must have big players.

Looking at the available heights on the web page he was the tallest player on the pitch for us in the 1st half by about 3 to 4 cms.

Like I said, I would question them stats.

Either way, presence wise, he genuinely looked like a fish out of water and "school boy". He needs to improve and fast, otherwise, I can see our fan base destroy the poor lad. I hope he is amazing, because if Sam Walker is plan B then we need to be thinking up a plan c and fast.

It must be the way that teenage keepers stand as both Virginia and Boyce-Clarke look small when stood in the goal but the stats say otherwise. Perhaps they look 'slight' rather than 'short' but there seems to be agreement that they don't fill the goal.

I imagine yesterday's game could be the biggest crowd Virginia has played in front of and Chelsea are a top side so perhaps he was a little awestruck?

So long as the crowd get behind him, rather than on his back then I am sure he will be fine.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 29 Jul 2019 11:10

morganb
paultheroyal
Stranded
Looking at the available heights on the web page he was the tallest player on the pitch for us in the 1st half by about 3 to 4 cms.

Like I said, I would question them stats.

Either way, presence wise, he genuinely looked like a fish out of water and "school boy". He needs to improve and fast, otherwise, I can see our fan base destroy the poor lad. I hope he is amazing, because if Sam Walker is plan B then we need to be thinking up a plan c and fast.

It must be the way that teenage keepers stand as both Virginia and Boyce-Clarke look small when stood in the goal but the stats say otherwise. Perhaps they look 'slight' rather than 'short' but there seems to be agreement that they don't fill the goal.

I imagine yesterday's game could be the biggest crowd Virginia has played in front of and Chelsea are a top side so perhaps he was a little awestruck?

So long as the crowd get behind him, rather than on his back then I am sure he will be fine.

This is Reading fans we are talking about here...

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 29 Jul 2019 11:47

morganb

Was he awestruck by Peterborough as well ?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Jul 2019 11:51

wouldn't massively blame him for that second goal yesterday - took a deflection and was always moving away from him. He looks to me on the extended highlights as a bit 'jumpy' - he is always moving about, which i think prevents him dominating an area around him. Reckon he'll make some fabulous saves mixed with quite a bit of flappery

Walker's efforts on the 3rd and 4th were laughably awful - that pass the 4th was horrific. Shame as he has had a good preseason

one other small thing that hasn't been mentioned much - there's something about that Loader pass for the first goal which I love. Such a clean, fast, accurate hit - beautiful technique.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 29 Jul 2019 12:10

paultheroyal
Stranded
paultheroyal
I'd question them stats or there is a big dip in that goal!!

https://www.readingfc.co.uk/teams/first ... -virginia/

Other sources have him at 1.92m or 6ft 3"

He looks small and as others were commenting around me yesterday, in the pre match huggle fest he was noticeably shorter than some of the players. We must have big players.

Yep ,'looking small' is different from being short. At nineteen he is likely to look less solid (not as much a big unit) than most older keepers. I suspect people are also under-rating his levels of self-confidence. Keepers lacking in confidence don't tend to last long and he has got to a pretty high level at a young age. I haven't seen him play live yet but does he communicate well, and constantly, to his team mates to the point of seeming bossy. That's a key requirement in any keeper.

IMO it's great to see keepers adopt the Schmeichel Senior approach - even when a goal conceded looks to have been down to them, they still give their team mates a bollocking (fair point, why did they let the ball get near the goal!).

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 29 Jul 2019 12:13

What was the official crowd ? Difficult to tell who was Chelski before the game, but as soon as it started they all got out their camera phones lol.
So plastic that they couldn't either find their seat (which is clearly printed on the ticket :roll: ) or actually stay seated for more than 5 minutes. Up, down, up, down, f**k off.

Roll on the empty terraces this Saturday.

Enjoyed watching the youngsters though. UUURRRZZ.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 29 Jul 2019 12:23

19,463 apparantly.

Those were the ones who got in. Suspect some gave up...........

Bigtimmeh

by Bigtimmeh » 29 Jul 2019 12:25

Yes I agree. Where I was sitting we were having a similar discussion about how short he looked. Hard to doubt the stats but maybe it's a matter of posture and presence. The man needs to be in control of that box! Very worrying the gks were there only real negative for me yesterday..

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 29 Jul 2019 12:31

Bigtimmeh Yes I agree. Where I was sitting we were having a similar discussion about how short he looked. Hard to doubt the stats but maybe it's a matter of posture and presence. Very worrying the gks were there only real negative for me yesterday.The man needs to be in control of that box! .

Martinez controlled the box and came off his line a lot. Didn't expect this kid to be his equal, but think we're going to miss it all the same.

Bigtimmeh

by Bigtimmeh » 29 Jul 2019 12:36

Denver Royal
Bigtimmeh Yes I agree. Where I was sitting we were having a similar discussion about how short he looked. Hard to doubt the stats but maybe it's a matter of posture and presence. Very worrying the gks were there only real negative for me yesterday.The man needs to be in control of that box! .

Martinez controlled the box and came off his line a lot. Didn't expect this kid to be his equal, but think we're going to miss it all the same.

Yes..I agree I hope the back four can adapt to not having that presence. Martinez had an impressive highlights reel he put on YouTube after just half a season...I think there is an argument to be had for recalling mannone (if it's possible..).

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Jul 2019 12:53

Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ
Nameless
Clearly he gets a spot on the bench instead of Richards.
We still have cover right across the back 4. Having been the starter for the first X1 throughout preseason it would be a kick in the teeth for McIntyre to not be at least on the bench. I’d have him there ahead of Morrison.

Unfortunately for McIntyre, Gomes has to do what’s best for the team. Having two CB’s on the bench is pointless really, so whilst he’s a better player than Richards, I wouldn’t be surprised if he doesnt make the 18. Of course Blackett may be out anyway in which case Richards would probably start with both CB’s being on the bench anyway

Will be interesting to see who partners Moore though. There’s a case for all three of them really. Morrison’s goal yesterday may have put him as favourite right now

Not a chance Miazga isn't starting. Wouldn't shock me if there isn't something in the loan agreement specifying he has to start when fit.

He looked a bit leggy to me, so I think he won't start the season, but will soon be brought in.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Jul 2019 12:57

Hound wouldn't massively blame him for that second goal yesterday - took a deflection and was always moving away from him. He looks to me on the extended highlights as a bit 'jumpy' - he is always moving about, which i think prevents him dominating an area around him. Reckon he'll make some fabulous saves mixed with quite a bit of flappery

Walker's efforts on the 3rd and 4th were laughably awful - that pass the 4th was horrific. Shame as he has had a good preseason

one other small thing that hasn't been mentioned much - there's something about that Loader pass for the first goal which I love. Such a clean, fast, accurate hit - beautiful technique.

The Yiadom - Loader - Meite - Yiadom - Loader - Barrett interchange was beautiful.

Bigtimmeh

by Bigtimmeh » 29 Jul 2019 13:27

Snowflake Royal
Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ
Unfortunately for McIntyre, Gomes has to do what’s best for the team. Having two CB’s on the bench is pointless really, so whilst he’s a better player than Richards, I wouldn’t be surprised if he doesnt make the 18. Of course Blackett may be out anyway in which case Richards would probably start with both CB’s being on the bench anyway

Will be interesting to see who partners Moore though. There’s a case for all three of them really. Morrison’s goal yesterday may have put him as favourite right now

Not a chance Miazga isn't starting. Wouldn't shock me if there isn't something in the loan agreement specifying he has to start when fit.

He looked a bit leggy to me, so I think he won't start the season, but will soon be brought in.

He played three matches for the USA in the gold cup this summer..maybe he hasn't had much rest?

BraisingsteakRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by BraisingsteakRoyal » 29 Jul 2019 13:44

Any opinion on Adam's set pieces? We've been awful at them (especially corners) since Ian Harte died. I saw Meite win a couple of headers from well-delivered corners on the highlights, but couldn't see who took them.

Also - could one of Morrison, Miazga or McIntyre play a holding midfield role?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Jul 2019 13:49

Swift took a number of the corners and free kicks on the highlights. Looked pretty good but don’t know if he delivered a load of rubbish ones as well

I think we’ll need to be - and will be - a lot better at attacking set pieces this year

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 29 Jul 2019 14:44

BraisingsteakRoyal Any opinion on Adam's set pieces? We've been awful at them (especially corners) since Ian Harte died. I saw Meite win a couple of headers from well-delivered corners on the highlights, but couldn't see who took them.

Believe it was Adam's delivery on the corner for Morrisson's goal. The ball played in was undefendible. More of the same please.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 29 Jul 2019 14:56

Hound wouldn't massively blame him for that second goal yesterday - took a deflection and was always moving away from him. He looks to me on the extended highlights as a bit 'jumpy' - he is always moving about, which i think prevents him dominating an area around him. Reckon he'll make some fabulous saves mixed with quite a bit of flappery

Goalkeeper is going to be the weakest point for Reading, overall I think we’d all want a more experienced keeper to have been brought in.

Walker did himself no favours yesterday in gifting 2 goals to Chelsea and Virginia has talent but is inexperienced and will have to go through a learning curve this season. Let’s hope he learns very quickly as he is Gomes’ riskiest decision yet.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 29 Jul 2019 15:00

Zammo What was the official crowd ? Difficult to tell who was Chelski before the game, but as soon as it started they all got out their camera phones lol.
So plastic that they couldn't either find their seat (which is clearly printed on the ticket :roll: ) or actually stay seated for more than 5 minutes. Up, down, up, down, f**k off.

Roll on the empty terraces this Saturday.

Enjoyed watching the youngsters though. UUURRRZZ.

Oh mate it was painful. Five minutes before halftime this young couple that looked straight of the set of Love Island sat in front of us. First thing they did? Held there tickets up level with the pitch and Instagrammed a picture. :roll:

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 29 Jul 2019 15:05

BraisingsteakRoyal Any opinion on Adam's set pieces? We've been awful at them (especially corners) *since Ian Harte died. I saw Meite win a couple of headers from well-delivered corners on the highlights, but couldn't see who took them.

*I'm sorry, what? :shock:

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 29 Jul 2019 16:34

paultheroyal
BraisingsteakRoyal Any opinion on Adam's set pieces? We've been awful at them (especially corners) since Ian Harte died. I saw Meite win a couple of headers from well-delivered corners on the highlights, but couldn't see who took them.

Believe it was Adam's delivery on the corner for Morrisson's goal. The ball played in was undefendible. More of the same please.

It was - I said to my son, as Adam jogged across to take the corner, that apparently he is very good at set pieces. Next minute the ball is on Morrison's forehead then in the back of the net!

603 posts