GOMES OUT!

806 posts
Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: GOMES OUT!

by Zip » 21 Sep 2019 20:19

WoodleyRoyal Gomes was allowed to bring in baker Miazga ovie Martinez and olivera

Clement also inherited a shit squad in - free fall, and kept us up against the odds, like Gomes. Gomes has been given MORE time and TWO windows to sort it out were as Clement only had from March to December.

I’m not saying the sacking of Clement was the wrong decision I agreed it was time to go. I’m just pointing out that Gomes has had longer, more resources and is doing no better. So why shouldn’t we start calling for change?

Gomes had to clear out a whole load of players. It’s not just about incomings. It’s about outgoings too. On a net transfer spend calculation I doubt there is much difference between Clement and Gomes and let’s not forget Gomes spent the summer with a soft transfer embargo so we had a rush of signings in August. It’s now September for Christ sake.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 21 Sep 2019 20:22

WoodleyRoyal
Zip
Snowflake Royal Who needs to spend a penny when you're handed 5 excellent loanees.

Regardless, Gomes has had plenty of backing over the summer and needs to deliver.

His signings not looking so hot are they.

Virginia - shit
Cabral - decent
Morrison (allegedly nothing to do with him) - good
Miazga - good
Adam - shit
Pele - shit
Ejaria - good
Joao - mediocre
Puscas - decent
Boye - shit

Hang on. You said we were down last season when Clement was sacked. Yet Gomes kept us up. Besides the loaners had to gel. Gomes played his part in that and brought a feel good factor back to the club. He deserves a lot longer than eight games. Besides Clement spent money. How much did Baldock cost? Who was sold under Clement? What about NET transfer spend for Clement v Gomes?

Clement also kept us up in similar circumstances but that’s forgotten we were dead certs to go down till he came in. And how many of Clements signings were his, and how many were gourlays?

Gourlay is a fair point. He certainly didn’t help Clement. Yes we stayed up with him but I didn’t think he improved us. I felt we improved under Gomes last season. Today was very much back to square one though.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Sep 2019 20:22

Zip
Snowflake Royal
Zip
I don’t agree. We were in dire straits when Gomes took over. He kept us up without spending a penny in the transfer window. Clement was given until December before he was sacked. Gomes absolutely deserves a similar amount of time. Let’s see if he can turn things around. If he can’t then fair enough let him go. Its only eight games in FFS.
Who needs to spend a penny when you're handed 5 excellent loanees.

Regardless, Gomes has had plenty of backing over the summer and needs to deliver.

Virginia - shit
Cabral - decent
Miazga - good
Adam - shit
Pele - shit
Ejaria - good
Joao - mediocre
Puscas - decent
Boye - shit

Hang on. You said we were down last season when Clement was sacked. Yet Gomes kept us up. Besides the loaners had to gel. Gomes played his part in that and brought a feel good factor back to the club. He deserves a lot longer than eight games. Besides Clement spent money. How much did Baldock cost? Who was sold under Clement? What about NET transfer spend for Clement v Gomes?

The loanees were much better than I thought and C1871 and Gomes likeability lifted the atmosphere.

I think net transfer spend is a shit measure of anything.

May I remind you, I have not called for Gomes to be sacked, nor do I think he should be sacked. The comparisons to Clement are fair though. Gomes is doing no better. And I do think from a better position. He has to improve. And if he doesn't then in the not too distant future (about 2 - 3 months time) he'll be leaving yet another club in less than 2 years having not achieved a whole lot.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 21 Sep 2019 20:25

Snowflake Royal
Zip
Snowflake Royal Who needs to spend a penny when you're handed 5 excellent loanees.

Virginia - shit
Cabral - decent
Miazga - good
Adam - shit
Pele - shit
Ejaria - good
Joao - mediocre
Puscas - decent
Boye - shit

The loanees were much better than I thought and C1871 and Gomes likeability lifted the atmosphere.

May I remind you, I have not called for Gomes to be sacked, nor do I think he should be sacked. The comparisons to Clement are fair though. Gomes is doing no better. And I do think from a better position. He has to improve. And if he doesn't then in the not too distant future (about 2 - 3 months time) he'll be leaving yet another club in less than 2 years having not achieved a whole lot.

Of course he has to improve. Today was unacceptable but as with Clement he deserves the first half of this season to turn it around. If he doesn’t then he has to go. However at some point this cycle of hiring and firing has to change. We are going nowhere with it.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 21 Sep 2019 20:28

Zip
Snowflake Royal
Zip

Of course he has to improve. Today was unacceptable but as with Clement he deserves the first half of this season to turn it around. If he doesn’t then he has to go. However at some point this cycle of hiring and firing has to change. We are going nowhere with it.

On your last two sentences we are no different to any other club in that respect. Long serving managers are a thing of the past- and exception to the rule rather than the norm. Life expectancy of a football manager these days is less than a year.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 21 Sep 2019 20:30

Zip
Snowflake Royal
Zip

You say that but as Clement was turning it around, he was fired

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Sep 2019 20:31

Zip
Snowflake Royal
Zip

I agree. We should start by hiring someone with a decent track record next.

Seriously.
Clarke - relatively inexperienced, suspect previous performance
McDermott - not given a chance
Stam - no experience
Clement - limited experience with suspect to poor performance in previous roles
Gomes - no England experience, very unimpressive and patchy work history

There's not a promotion between any of them except BMcD.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 21 Sep 2019 20:34

URZZZZ
Zip
Snowflake Royal The loanees were much better than I thought and C1871 and Gomes likeability lifted the atmosphere.

Clement wasn’t turning it around. He couldn’t get us beyond a point a game throughout the first half of the season.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 21 Sep 2019 20:38

Zip
URZZZZ
Zip

Clement wasn’t turning it around. He couldn’t get us beyond a point a game throughout the first half of the season.

We’d lost once in five games before he was sacked, and the one defeat was at Leeds (who were top). We also missed a penalty in the last minute that game. He was making us resilient and hard to beat, and he was learning from his abject start to the season. There’s no doubt in my mind he would have kept us up. He brought Rinomhota through even with a lot of midfield options to choose from. He gets bad press IMO

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Sep 2019 20:39

Zip
URZZZZ
Zip

There was a trend of improvement, our ppg was better than at the start of the season in the few games before he was sacked. Small though it was, and from a particularly low point admittedly, but it existed. And with massive injury problems.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 21 Sep 2019 20:39

Snowflake Royal
Zip
Snowflake Royal The loanees were much better than I thought and C1871 and Gomes likeability lifted the atmosphere.

Seriously.
Stam - no experience

^ who was responsible for all of the above was it Howe or Hammond? I don’t think they were? Was it not Brian T and the Thais, gourlay and the Chinese? I would hope with Howe now back in charge of things we will go for more sensible options.

However on that point Ian, pardew no experience, Brian McDermott no experience two of our best managers in recent years. It can work. And had fulhamgate not happened I suspect Clarke might have been a success here.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Sep 2019 20:42

WoodleyRoyal
Snowflake Royal
Zip

Seriously.
Stam - no experience

^ who was responsible for all of the above were Howe or Hammond? I don’t think they were? Was it not Brian T and the Thais gouraly and the Chinese? I would hope with Howe now back in charge of things we will go for more sensible options.

However on that point Ian, pardew no experience, Brian McDermott no experience two of our best managers in recent years. It can work. And had fulhamgate not happened I suspect Clarke might have been a success here.

Internal appointments are different. They already know the club and players and much easier to know what they'll try.

Blackman was the only reason we did well under Clarke and his purple patch had already ended.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Sep 2019 20:42

WoodleyRoyal
Snowflake Royal
Zip

Seriously.
Stam - no experience

^ who was responsible for all of the above were Howe or Hammond? I don’t think they were? Was it not Brian T and the Thais gouraly and the Chinese? I would hope with Howe now back in charge of things we will go for more sensible options.

Internal appointments are different. They already know the club and players and much easier to know what they'll try.

Blackman was the only reason we did well under Clarke and his purple patch had already ended.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 21 Sep 2019 20:43

WoodleyRoyal
Snowflake Royal
Zip

Seriously.
Stam - no experience

^ who was responsible for all of the above was it Howe or Hammond? I don’t think they were? Was it not Brian T and the Thais, gourlay and the Chinese? I would hope with Howe now back in charge of things we will go for more sensible options.

I would add Mark McGhee to the no experience list too.
Last edited by Zip on 21 Sep 2019 20:45, edited 1 time in total.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 21 Sep 2019 20:45

URZZZZ
Zip
URZZZZ

We’d lost once in five games before he was sacked, and the one defeat was at Leeds (who were top). We also missed a penalty in the last minute that game. He was making us resilient and hard to beat, and he was learning from his abject start to the season. There’s no doubt in my mind he would have kept us up. He brought Rinomhota through even with a lot of midfield options to choose from. He gets bad press IMO

I liked the guy and his post match interviews were painfully honest. He wasn’t a lucky manager that’s for sure.

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 21 Sep 2019 20:51

I haven’t read anywhere of a new contact being signed or offered so sacking Jose would be no financial hardship with 3 months left to run.

I’m not saying I want him gone but I think we’re now edging close to that territory. He needs to start delivering or he’ll be gone. Which will be a shame but the owners want/expect results.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 21 Sep 2019 21:57

Jesus Christ I can't believe people are hitting the panic button........
I was never a fan of Stam......even when third, and when Clement was appointed it reduced me to tears when we ignored Graham Potters availability (threw that in for Sandman)......
But I do like Gomes even though he is so frustrating with his tactics and team selection, however if we lose the next three games the pressure really will be on and I can't help but think that he won't turn it round and we may well be looking for a new manager in December/January.

Bigtimmeh

by Bigtimmeh » 21 Sep 2019 23:24

The whole problem with teams is they switch managers too quick. Ok we've had three defeats on the trot and today was particularly bad but we've also seen glimpses of a great team. I think Jose should have at least until January if not untill the end of the season to make things work. I don't think it's valid to compare the time he is given to previous managers...that was then this is now

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 22 Sep 2019 00:06

Ok after going out for a few juices tonight I`ve calmed down a bit from my initial rage.
Getting home after the game logging onto the board index and seeing the thread GOMES OUT it didn't take too much working out who posted it, who else could put the title in all caps then start the sentence in lower case?
Bloody annoying prick that only comes here when times are hard, didn`t see too much when we beat Cardiff drew with WBA and beat Huddersfield.
Of course I`m not bloody happy, what Reading fan would be?
But continual changing of managers has done us the world of good over the last two or three years hasn`t it?
For gods sake we need stability, the next 6 games are pretty horrendous, if we are outside of the bottom 6 after that lot we ought to name a stand after him.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 22 Sep 2019 09:16

I feel like Gomes has better factors on his side than Clement had. The Gourlay era was a total clusterfuck of instability for this club with mediocre signings. It was a very difficult situation to manage in, and no new manager would have kept us up without the CEO change and January recruitment.

Gomes is operating under Howe with a squad where it looks like a lot more thought went into recruitment. This squad is better than last season's and it seems the atmosphere at the club is better. So it's reasonable to expect more from Gomes. But it's a new team. He clearly doesn't yet know his best 11 or best system. Give him another 6 weeks or so; remember that he didn't get a pre season with this team. Also don't be surprised by a freak good performance against one of the better teams; the talent is there.

806 posts