147 posts
Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: BFTG QPR

by Lower West » 28 Dec 2019 14:21

Snowflake Royal
Zip
blueroyals Charlie Adam's passing ability is wasted when he's pinging balls out wide to Gunter to turn and pass the ball back, or Blacket to pass the ball out of play. Once Yiadom and Obita are fit we'll start rolling teams over

Based on what evidence? How many good crosses does Yiadom manage during a game?

But on the other hand Yiadom has 3 assists and manages the second most key passes a game in the team. So it's not like he doesn't contribute to creating chances.

Playing with a back 4 now. Yiadom and Obita could both contribute by playing higher up the pitch.

JimmytheJim

by JimmytheJim » 28 Dec 2019 14:49

NewCorkSeth
st george
NewCorkSeth I agree with Ian. A goalkeeper getting the positioning correct does not equal a great save.

Then that would make you both incorrect. I presume neither of you have ever played in goal. How many defenders have you seen turn theirs backs to block a shot? A fair few I would imagine. A goalkeeper makes himself big and throws his body in front of the ball and it hits him in the face. If it hits him in the chest it is a good save ? Why is it lucky to hit him in the face? His positioning and technique were excellent.

The reason I agree with Ian is the use of the word great. There is nothing great about it. Call it a decent save. Or an important save. Fine.

He got the positioning right. That's the minimum you should expect from a goalkeeper. Jesus, the ones who dont get the positioning right dont play where possible. Praising Rafael for "being in the right position" is like praising a winger for a perfect cross into the box when nobody is actually in the box.

If a striker is fed a perfect head height cross, they make all the correct runs to meet it but instead of actually heading it, it bounces off their chin and goes in that is not a great goal. The fact he got everything else right doesnt elevate it.

With the greatest respect, you're talking out of your arse.

Great saves can be made with any part. His positioning was excellent. 9 times out of 10 that volley bulges the onion bag, but Rafael covered the ground, spread himself and saved us three points.

Your comparison with a winger playing a good cross that nobody gets on the end of is nonsense. A better comparison would be a striker scoring unconventionally, perhaps by sticking out his bum to deflect the ball past the keeper.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Dec 2019 14:52

Hound
NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal :| yeah, because of course that's what I said and meant. :roll:

Yeah, his positioning was good, but you can't call anything unintentional a great save. The striker blasted it straight at him and Rafael knew nothing about it. A few inches difference and it would have been rippling the net before he moved.

I agree with Ian. A goalkeeper getting the positioning correct does not equal a great save.

It’s great goalkeeping either way. Whether that’s a great save or great positioning is pretty moot really
:)

We'll have to differ, my standard for great is a bit higher than just standing in the right place. :wink:

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 28 Dec 2019 15:00

Must say, I’m of the opinion it was more of a lucky save rather than a great one

As already mentioned, if a shot deflects off a striker by accident and goes in, it’s not a great goal, it’s a lucky goal. You’d say “good positioning” from the striker. Same applies with Rafael

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Dec 2019 15:22

It's amazing how one inoccuous comment about the wrong save can trigger such a response, as if it's somehow important and like the opinions are polar opposites.

It's Great I tell's ya!
Meh, it was alright
No it was facking great, you know nothing about football
You've obviously never played in goal you Nazi! It was quite fortunate!

:lol:

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 28 Dec 2019 15:33

JimmytheJim
NewCorkSeth
st george
Then that would make you both incorrect. I presume neither of you have ever played in goal. How many defenders have you seen turn theirs backs to block a shot? A fair few I would imagine. A goalkeeper makes himself big and throws his body in front of the ball and it hits him in the face. If it hits him in the chest it is a good save ? Why is it lucky to hit him in the face? His positioning and technique were excellent.

The reason I agree with Ian is the use of the word great. There is nothing great about it. Call it a decent save. Or an important save. Fine.

He got the positioning right. That's the minimum you should expect from a goalkeeper. Jesus, the ones who dont get the positioning right dont play where possible. Praising Rafael for "being in the right position" is like praising a winger for a perfect cross into the box when nobody is actually in the box.

If a striker is fed a perfect head height cross, they make all the correct runs to meet it but instead of actually heading it, it bounces off their chin and goes in that is not a great goal. The fact he got everything else right doesnt elevate it.

With the greatest respect, you're talking out of your arse.

Great saves can be made with any part. His positioning was excellent. 9 times out of 10 that volley bulges the onion bag, but Rafael covered the ground, spread himself and saved us three points.

Your comparison with a winger playing a good cross that nobody gets on the end of is nonsense. A better comparison would be a striker scoring unconventionally, perhaps by sticking out his bum to deflect the ball past the keeper.

Did you finish reading my entire post? Your "better comparison" is my last paragraph.

I agree that great saves can be made with any part but that does not mean a save made with any part is great. For me, he did the minimum required of a keeper at this level by getting in the correct position and was fortunate that the ball hit him squarely in the face.

I'm not seeing what is so objectionable about this either. I am not criticising Rafael. Just stating that calling a save he unintentionally made with his face "great" is a bit much.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 Dec 2019 15:59

Tbh I don’t know how people care enough to write 3 paras+ on it :)

147 posts