MATCHWATCH : Wigan Athletic (h) sponsored by Nicky Forster

285 posts
Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: MATCHWATCH : Wigan Athletic (h) sponsored by Nicky Forster

by Mid Sussex Royal » 25 Feb 2020 19:37

Paul Cook's been moaning about last season's game again I see, says all three goals should have been ruled out....I've noticed whenever they lose its always down to the ref. Well, from what I've seen recently they've had quite a bit of luck on the refereeing side.

Dreadful manager - poor man's Millwall - sole tactic is to play for free kicks and throw ins in the opposition half, throw the big centre halves up and lump the ball in the box at every opportunity.

Really hope they go down - they belong in League One.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 25 Feb 2020 20:22

Mid Sussex Royal Paul Cook's been moaning about last season's game again I see, says all three goals should have been ruled out....I've noticed whenever they lose its always down to the ref. Well, from what I've seen recently they've had quite a bit of luck on the refereeing side.

Dreadful manager - poor man's Millwall - sole tactic is to play for free kicks and throw ins in the opposition half, throw the big centre halves up and lump the ball in the box at every opportunity.

Really hope they go down - they belong in League One.

He's obviously a terrible bloke and a massive twat but not sure anyone can label him a poor coach. He's done a cracking job at Wigan.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 25 Feb 2020 21:38

A draw wouldn’t be the worst tomorrow considering results tonight - getting closer at the bottom

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 25 Feb 2020 22:27

Hound A draw wouldn’t be the worst tomorrow considering results tonight - getting closer at the bottom

If we get dragged back into the mix with our run in then we deserve to be there, I`m not worried in the slightest. we need to average a point a game, well within our ability.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 26 Feb 2020 08:50

windermereROYAL
Hound A draw wouldn’t be the worst tomorrow considering results tonight - getting closer at the bottom

If we get dragged back into the mix with our run in then we deserve to be there, I`m not worried in the slightest. we need to average a point a game, well within our ability.

Quite - as I'm home sick today and bored, I took a quick look and if every team from Huddersfield down improved their season's form by a third then 50 points would see us safe by a point - Huddersfield would end up on 55.

To get to 50 points we are looking at 2 wins 2 draws in the last 12 games, so a drop off even on our most recent form. 56 points is 4 wins and 2 draws from 12.

Even if we look at current form over the standard 6 games - if every team picks up points in the same manner as they are now then the table ends up with us in 19th on 52 points whilst Boro finish bottom and are relegated alongside Barnsley and Hull.

All this is before Brum, Sheff Weds and Derby hear about any possible points deduction.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 Feb 2020 09:15

Stranded
windermereROYAL

Quite - as I'm home sick today and bored, I took a quick look and if every team from Huddersfield down improved their season's form by a third then 50 points would see us safe by a point - Huddersfield would end up on 55.

To get to 50 points we are looking at 2 wins 2 draws in the last 12 games, so a drop off even on our most recent form. 56 points is 4 wins and 2 draws from 12.

Even if we look at current form over the standard 6 games - if every team picks up points in the same manner as they are now then the table ends up with us in 19th on 52 points whilst Boro finish bottom and are relegated alongside Barnsley and Hull.

All this is before Brum, Sheff Weds and Derby hear about any possible points deduction.

you've calmed my nerves there Stranded...

I don't think we'll get dragged in, but it'd certainly be nice to basically kill off the possibility by winning tonight

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 26 Feb 2020 10:12

Hound
Stranded
windermereROYAL

I don't think we'll get dragged in, but it'd certainly be nice to basically kill off the possibility by winning tonight

A win today will be big mentally as we are now in the supposed easy bit of the season after what was a massively tough Jan and Feb - it is a proper 6 pointer tonight in that we can either be 11 points clear (4 games really) and a bit relaxed on 5pts clear and finding a bit of pressure building on the next one.

The following may make your nerves less calm:

Interestingly* tonight is a battle between the worst attack in the divsion and the 6th best defense. Though our attack is the current 4th worst in the league based on goals scored.

However, we are now the worst team in the division at home this season - though only played 16 compared to 17/18 for other sides. Now this could be because we have had all our harder home games (teams in 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd and 24th still to visit) but will certainly cause Wigan to see this as a very winnable game.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 26 Feb 2020 12:40

Stranded
Hound
Stranded

A win today will be big mentally as we are now in the supposed easy bit of the season after what was a massively tough Jan and Feb - it is a proper 6 pointer tonight in that we can either be 11 points clear (4 games really) and a bit relaxed on 5pts clear and finding a bit of pressure building on the next one.

Interestingly* tonight is a battle between the worst attack in the divsion and the 6th best defense. Though our attack is the current 4th worst in the league based on goals scored.

However, we are now the worst team in the division at home this season - though only played 16 compared to 17/18 for other sides. Now this could be because we have had all our harder home games (teams in 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd and 24th still to visit) but will certainly cause Wigan to see this as a very winnable game.

Home form is certainly room for improvement next year, as away form alone puts us on the cusp of the top 6. Home losses so far have been

Wednesday
Charlton
Blackburn
Fulham
Leeds
Birmingham
Bristol
West Brom

Out of that lot, some real shockers. Even two wins from that lot would give us a shout for the playoffs. Bristol, in particular, was a shocker, along with Blackburn

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 26 Feb 2020 12:45

URZZZZ
Stranded
Hound

Home form is certainly room for improvement next year, as away form alone puts us on the cusp of the top 6. Home losses so far have been

Wednesday
Charlton
Blackburn
Fulham
Leeds
Birmingham
Bristol
West Brom

Out of that lot, some real shockers. Even two wins from that lot would give us a shout for the playoffs. Bristol, in particular, was a shocker, along with Blackburn

First 4 under Gomes. Not so bad under Bowen, though noted Birmingham and Bristol were disappointed, as well as the draw with Hull.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 26 Feb 2020 12:48

WestYorksRoyal
URZZZZ
Stranded

Wednesday
Charlton
Blackburn
Fulham
Leeds
Birmingham
Bristol
West Brom

First 4 under Gomes. Not so bad under Bowen, though noted Birmingham and Bristol were disappointed, as well as the draw with Hull.

Two successive seasons where we've lost 4 of our first 5 home games. Often can set the tone for the season

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 26 Feb 2020 12:56

Wigan injuries rule out Danny Fox (groin), Kieran Dowell (ankle) and Antonee Pilkington (groin). Joe Gelhardt and one other are also going to miss the game after picking up knocks against Millwall on Saturday. Top scorer Chey Dunkley is expected to return after completing his suspension.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 Feb 2020 13:22

just seen on twitter that we have considerably the easiest run in of the whole division by opponents current league positions

Boro should certainly be worried looking at theirs

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 26 Feb 2020 13:50

Hound just seen on twitter that we have considerably the easiest run in of the whole division by opponents current league positions

Boro should certainly be worried looking at theirs

Looking at the current table Reading have played both league fixtures against each side in the top 13 save for a visit from Brentford and a trip to Blackburn and it’s not yet the end of February. Therefore one would expect some improvement in point collection for the remainder of the season when compared to recent games

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 26 Feb 2020 13:55

URZZZZ
Stranded
Hound

Wednesday
Charlton
Blackburn
Fulham
Leeds
Birmingham
Bristol
West Brom

The Brum one was a shocker and out of character for the team under Bowen but looking at the games we've lost at home - Leeds and WBA are the top 2. Charlton started the season like a house on fire as did Wednesday.

In fact 5 of our 8 home defeats are to teams with a better away record than us - which given we are 9th on the away table is pretty good going. Of the other 3, Brum are 10th in the away league only separated from us on GD and Blackburn only have 1 point less. Charlton are down in 13th but picked up 9 of those in their first 7 away games.

Of our home games left our opponents rank as follows for away records this season

Wigan - 21st
Barnsley - 23rd
Stoke - 19th
Brentford - 6th
Huddersfield - 17th
Boro - 20th
Swansea - 7th

We really should be looking at finishing the season at home in a positive fashion.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 Feb 2020 14:50

shame with the form Brentford are on, we don't have that game sooner

We're going to have a massive bearing on who goes down one way or another as well

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 26 Feb 2020 14:52

Reckon attendance will be shocking tonight.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 26 Feb 2020 15:01

Old Man Andrews Reckon attendance will be shocking tonight.

Oh yes - can see it being under 10k - cold, possibly wet - very few away fans and it's on tv - will take a very committed fan to go tonight.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 26 Feb 2020 15:12

Stranded

Oh yes - can see it being under 10k - cold, possibly wet - very few away fans and it's on tv - will take a very committed fan to go tonight.

I'm going.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 26 Feb 2020 15:14

Hendo
Stranded

I'm going.

I could come with you, get the mates rates. Buy you a Bovril.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 26 Feb 2020 15:22

285 posts