Squad for 2020/21

1016 posts
SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Squad for 2020/21

by SouthDownsRoyal » 23 Aug 2020 09:45

royalp-we Truth is, this is the quietest transfer window in a lifetime for most fans. Just feels that we need more players because of the amount that have left.

We all knew we would need to shift players this summer; and we have saved lots of wages, but as yet we’ve not received a penny in transfer fees iirc.

We’ll be savvy and get some cheaper signings / frees this year to meet FFP, then hopefully let the Dai’s ramp up the spending (minus Kia) with quality and bulk up the squad again next season.

They clearly want to emulate teams like Wolves. The staff they put faith in last time just royally oxf*rd it up.

How are we emulating Wolves?

And ramping up the spending is a risky strategy, sure we will have to spend at some point but I don’t want to go round in a circle and end up spending money for the sake of it and have silly long expensive contracts again

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 23 Aug 2020 10:00

SouthDownsRoyal
royalp-we Truth is, this is the quietest transfer window in a lifetime for most fans. Just feels that we need more players because of the amount that have left.

We all knew we would need to shift players this summer; and we have saved lots of wages, but as yet we’ve not received a penny in transfer fees iirc.

We’ll be savvy and get some cheaper signings / frees this year to meet FFP, then hopefully let the Dai’s ramp up the spending (minus Kia) with quality and bulk up the squad again next season.

They clearly want to emulate teams like Wolves. The staff they put faith in last time just royally oxf*rd it up.

How are we emulating Wolves?

And ramping up the spending is a risky strategy, sure we will have to spend at some point but I don’t want to go round in a circle and end up spending money for the sake of it and have silly long expensive contracts again

The obviously parallel with Wolves is the involvement of an agent. It looked like we were essentially outsourcing our recruitment in a similar way to Wolves.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Aug 2020 10:17

Thought Puscas looked quite sharp tbh. Couple of tough chances.

Rounded the keeper but narrow angle with defender covering, should have been a corner.

Got in behind again for another narrow angle but blasted wide.

My only complaint with him is that he plays on his heels too much and watches games pass him by, not closing down effectively. But he's definitely improving in that regard.

Fezza

by Fezza » 23 Aug 2020 10:55

Snowflake Royal Thought Puscas looked quite sharp tbh. Couple of tough chances.

Rounded the keeper but narrow angle with defender covering, should have been a corner.

My only complaint with him is that he plays on his heels too much and watches games pass him by, not closing down effectively. But he's definitely improving in that regard.

Thought he looked a bit heavy (fairly understandable), thought Olise looked as though he was protecting himself in a number of challenges (understandable in pre season), was very impressed with Araruna and Holsgrove - good range of passing.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 23 Aug 2020 11:06

We did receive a decent fee for Barrow apparently.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 23 Aug 2020 11:37

Fezza
Snowflake Royal Thought Puscas looked quite sharp tbh. Couple of tough chances.

Thought he looked a bit heavy (fairly understandable), thought Olise looked as though he was protecting himself in a number of challenges (understandable in pre season), was very impressed with Araruna and Holsgrove - good range of passing.
i thought Holsgrove looked comfortable in what was a training exercise by the time he came on, playing training ground football. On yesterday’s showing I think he’d struggle to cope with being closed down quickly in a fast pace Championship game

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 23 Aug 2020 12:01

Can someone correct me if I am wrong here but did Araruna look very tidy to anyone else?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Aug 2020 12:44

Big fat meh from me.

But I was really frustrated by a particularly brain dead telegraphed pass / cross he did early on that was not so much blocked as just straight at the defender, so my view of the rest of his performance could be coloured by that.

Also live streaming via Facebook on your phone with no commentary or squad numbers is not the best way to watch football

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 23 Aug 2020 12:52

3points Listening to Bowen yesterday it feels like a couple of strikers may depart before the end of the window. My money in on McNulty and Puscas. Puscas had two good chances yesterday but never looked like scoring. Baldock is a Bowen type player imo who works hard and has decent experience. Pity he’s probably on one of the biggest wages.

We should pay Aluko to go out on loan! Just get him away from the squad now. Would rather see Sam Smith in and around the squad.

It’s an interesting point. My money has been on Puscas leaving this summer & I think we should sell if the price is right. I agree that Baldock seems like a Bowen type player, but he doesn’t get much game time. I liked the look of Olise just behind Joao, but certainly think Baldock would work well with him. The guy seems to get unnecessary stick from the fans when actually we’ve just not utilised him to his strengths

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Aug 2020 13:32

Most of the complaints about Baldock seem pretty fair to me.

Older player
High wage
Injury prone
Not suited to lead the line
Hasn't had a big enough impact on matches.

His work rate is pretty great and he's scored a few, but he's not really done it here. Of course, a large part of that is not being played to his strengths. But like many of our players, are we supposed to change the whole way we play to get the best out of him?

He's not really good enough to justify that. He's a fairly obvious player we could afford to lose pitch side and would benefit significantly getting off the wage bill on the financial side.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 23 Aug 2020 15:14

Agree Reading would benefit from losing a couple of strikers and bringing one in. Money on Smith and Baldock being the most likely to leave and Mendes being the “replacement”.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 23 Aug 2020 15:33

Sutekh Agree Reading would benefit from losing a couple of strikers and bringing one in. Money on Smith and Baldock being the most likely to leave and Mendes being the “replacement”.

Smith isn't even on the radar, even with him leaving we realistically need to shift a couple more. Outside of Joao, not really fussed who.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 23 Aug 2020 16:00

Stranded
Sutekh Agree Reading would benefit from losing a couple of strikers and bringing one in. Money on Smith and Baldock being the most likely to leave and Mendes being the “replacement”.

Smith isn't even on the radar, even with him leaving we realistically need to shift a couple more. Outside of Joao, not really fussed who.

Yeah wouldnt be bothered about all of the others leaving tbh. Even Joao actually, a good player but not much use if he cant stay fit, hopefully that changes this year.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 23 Aug 2020 16:12

Stranded

I’m surprised you’re not fussed. I certainly wouldn’t want to see Meite or Puscas go. My preference would be to move on Smith, McNulty and Baldock and bring one in.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 23 Aug 2020 16:48

Snowflake Royal Most of the complaints about Baldock seem pretty fair to me.

Older player
High wage
Injury prone
Not suited to lead the line
Hasn't had a big enough impact on matches.

His work rate is pretty great and he's scored a few, but he's not really done it here. Of course, a large part of that is not being played to his strengths. But like many of our players, are we supposed to change the whole way we play to get the best out of him?

He's not really good enough to justify that. He's a fairly obvious player we could afford to lose pitch side and would benefit significantly getting off the wage bill on the financial side.

Great if we can get him off the wage bill but he’s not leaving, and no one is coming in for him. So might as well use him. He’s looked good enough in a front 2, not his fault we’ve not played to his strengths. And we need experience in this league with lots of younger players

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 23 Aug 2020 17:14

We have a lot to do in 4 weeks, sign 4 or 5 cheap players to squad fill, sell a couple of assets and get contracts to our young players in there last year. Clock is ticking.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 23 Aug 2020 18:02

Zip
Stranded

I’m surprised you’re not fussed. I certainly wouldn’t want to see Meite or Puscas go. My preference would be to move on Smith, McNulty and Baldock and bring one in.

Meite has barely played as a striker in the past 2 years but where we are as a club, no-one is irreplaceable. So if we get a decent offer, happy to take it.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 23 Aug 2020 18:06

linkenholtroyal We have a lot to do in 4 weeks, sign 4 or 5 cheap players to squad fill, sell a couple of assets and get contracts to our young players in there last year. Clock is ticking.

Window is open until mid October isn’t it ?
New contracts aren’t a priority at this point so cross that off !
The crucial factor is getting clarification on our FFP position. Suspect that will mean the Ovie deal goes through and we’ll probably have a couple of others lined up and waiting.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 23 Aug 2020 18:58

linkenholtroyal We have a lot to do in 4 weeks, sign 4 or 5 cheap players to squad fill, sell a couple of assets and get contracts to our young players in there last year. Clock is ticking.

Transfer window shuts early October so a lot of activity will be then. Frustrating as I preferred it when it shut before the season started, meant You didn’t start the season with a different team to a month later

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 23 Aug 2020 19:41

Notts Royal

Transfer window shuts early October so a lot of activity will be then. Frustrating as I preferred it when it shut before the season started, meant You didn’t start the season with a different team to a month later

16th October in England....

1016 posts