No
70%

Total votes: 107
Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Bowen, Sack? Yes or no?

by Zip » 23 Jul 2020 12:29

leon Idiots

A rare +1 for you leonski. This place is going to the dogs. 8)

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 23 Jul 2020 12:30

going?

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 23 Jul 2020 12:31

Zip
leon Idiots

rare? get out

yuomi

by yuomi » 23 Jul 2020 12:40

Give him til Christmas and then review.

He's earned a summer to try and make his mark with recruitment and a pre-season, albeit with no money, players seemingly made out of glass, and (as Baldock suggested) a club in disarray.

It's an unenviable task, and one I completely expect him to fail at. If we're above 18th by December it will be a miracle. But the fact is we've chopped and changed manager so much in recent years and Bowen, statistically at least, represents as close to progress as we've had. Even if what we see on the field remains a frustrating mess.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 23 Jul 2020 12:46

No Bowen will do
We have spent far too much on severance packages to get rid of managers, paying other clubs to let us have there manager and managers on massive wages in the last few years.
Bowen has got the best out of our players for the last few years a group that is largely unchanged finishing 14th our best finish in a longtime.
Also when you all start chanting Bowen out when a few games don't go our way next season. we do not have the finances to win the championship by buying our way out of it. we have got to be savvy and get our youth used to playing in the Championship and make shrewd signings to be honest I cant think of anyone better to do that than Bowen for what we are paying Bowen.

Lets say we employ Nigel Adkins or Pearson we have to pay a severance package to Bowen, then employ a manager on higher wages who would probably have no idea what to do with the squad at his disposal and no money to replace any he doesn't like. He would not last long.

Sacking Bowen = worse finances = worse team = probably FFP breach = 12 point deduction = relegation

do you know what considering the upheaval this summer anything around where we finished this season would do for me next season. and I would give him another couple of years as others have said give him till xmas and as long as we are above the relegation zone extend his contract again we need to build.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 23 Jul 2020 13:25

No, he deserves a summer to make his stamp on the squad it what will be difficult circumstances. If he manages to pull off some great deals and can get the club top half then that’ll be an achievement in itself. And anyway FFP means Reading won’t be allowed to afford severance packages.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 23 Jul 2020 15:26

The remit was to stay up which has been achieved comfortably, for that reason alone Bowen deserves a season with his own squad

Yes we lost the last 3 games (when safe) but we lost 6 of the last 7 under Brian a few years back with a similar sort of set up ie a bloated squad full of loanees and out of contract players.

Worth also pointing out we would have been easily relegated this season with the points totals of the last 2 seasons

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 23 Jul 2020 16:13

I think it would be a very negative option to keep him.But if we do get a new manager,then he has to be the absolutely the right choice.If we do keep Bowen,until mid December,then that would be the worst of all scenarios.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 23 Jul 2020 16:28

Westwood52 I think it would be a very negative option to keep him.But if we do get a new manager,then he has to be the absolutely the right choice.If we do keep Bowen,until mid December,then that would be the worst of all scenarios.

I keep seeing the sentence " ... has to be the right manager ..." but a bit like money growing on trees, there isn't a lamp with the manager genie in it.

We've been trying to 'get the right manager' for best part of 7 years and it simply isn't that easy.

Who wants to take over the basket case we're becoming ?
Hasn't Hughton already turned us down at least once

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 23 Jul 2020 16:55

"I came in with the job of rebuilding the club and the philosophy so I can't wait to get started next year to get my players in, my team together with maybe a stronger and different philosophy."

He can talk the talk, lets see what unfolds over the summer and into next season

Although I don’t have huge faith in him, hope he proves the doubters wrong

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Jul 2020 17:01

Stranded Well, the guy said the right things last night. Get the feeling that we really could have done without this mini season and arguably would have been better off letting all the loans/contracts lapse in June.

Saying he wants a young, hungry team who will play high tempo. Let's see if he can deliver that.

yeah was an interesting interview. I hope he is given the opportunity to get those players in, but obvs we need to bin off the overpaid shite first

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 23 Jul 2020 18:04

leon
Zip
leon Idiots

rare? get out

I was going to say a unique +1 but felt generous.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 23 Jul 2020 18:28

Mid Sussex Royal
Yes we lost the last 3 games (when safe) but we lost 6 of the last 7 under Brian a few years back with a similar sort of set up ie a bloated squad full of loanees and out of contract players.

Once we were safe Brian started to focus on the following season. Ultimately never given the chance to follow through with a summer rebuild.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 23 Jul 2020 18:40

Crazy to keep sacking managers IMO.

I think the club needs to commit to a manager for a 2-4 year term if we are ever to get back up the table. When you look back at Steve Coppel's successful reign, he has a couple of years building the squad before the wonderful 2005/6 season. Bearing in mind that Bowen will effectively be building a squad from scratch this summer we need to give him more than 6 months to do this job. If the club hierarchy don't have the confidence to commit to him longer term irrespective of results then they should sack him now and find a manager they do believe in as a long term option.

We desperately need stability and it will be a tough job for anyone to rebuild this squad bearing in mind all the inevitable changes there will be this summer. I also expect most business in the transfer window to happen late as there will be a lot a free agents who will be asking for too much money but will gradually have to lower their expectations in order to get a team for next season and so unless we heave a freak Stam like season it will most likely take months to gain any sort of momentum.

Personally I think Bowen has done well enough to get the rebuilding job but I fear that after a few bad early season results our fans will be baying for his blood by Christmas and it will be groundhog day all over again.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 23 Jul 2020 19:38

andrew1957 Crazy to keep sacking managers IMO.

I think the club needs to commit to a manager for a 2-4 year term if we are ever to get back up the table. When you look back at Steve Coppel's successful reign, he has a couple of years building the squad before the wonderful 2005/6 season. Bearing in mind that Bowen will effectively be building a squad from scratch this summer we need to give him more than 6 months to do this job. If the club hierarchy don't have the confidence to commit to him longer term irrespective of results then they should sack him now and find a manager they do believe in as a long term option.

We desperately need stability and it will be a tough job for anyone to rebuild this squad bearing in mind all the inevitable changes there will be this summer. I also expect most business in the transfer window to happen late as there will be a lot a free agents who will be asking for too much money but will gradually have to lower their expectations in order to get a team for next season and so unless we heave a freak Stam like season it will most likely take months to gain any sort of momentum.

Personally I think Bowen has done well enough to get the rebuilding job but I fear that after a few bad early season results our fans will be baying for his blood by Christmas and it will be groundhog day all over again.

You make valid points.

As I have said before I am a bit on the fence, I am not a Bowen hater but I am not totally convinced.

Having said that, if we start next season with him, and I expect we will, we surely do have to back him then for the medium term, as you say if the owners don’t ditch him this summer then surely they believe he is the man for the job and so sacking him early into next season makes no sense.

I guess you do then get into the tricky situation of IF we find ourselves in an increasingly worrying situation around Christmas and into the new year at what point do you press the panic alarm and look to bring in a known safe pair of hands (like Boro with Colin) or do you stand by him no matter what?

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 23 Jul 2020 20:39

SouthDownsRoyal I guess you do then get into the tricky situation of IF we find ourselves in an increasingly worrying situation around Christmas and into the new year at what point do you press the panic alarm and look to bring in a known safe pair of hands (like Boro with Colin) or do you stand by him no matter what?

The owners appeared to have a lot of patience with Stam, maybe too much, possible as he did so well in season 1. They weren't so patient with either Clement or Gomes though. As they appear to have personally chosen Bowen as their manager I would expect he would be given a decent amount of time next season but as the owners are so distant it is tricky to second guess them.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 23 Jul 2020 21:01

If I am reading the tea-leaves correctly...

Miazga lost
Blackett gone
Ejaria unlikely to be signed
Moore likely to be sold even if we only get a few million
Puscas might well be sold
Meite might well be sold
Swift at least 50/50 to be sold

(I'm sure there are more)

FORGET who the manager is!

That leaves us with a team that will do well to finish out of the bottom three.

Now, say Bowen stays a year, we get lucky, find a gem. We finish 18th.

Surely that is BRILLIANT! ??????

We are moving from an over-spending dick-head club close to becoming basket-case, to a club "cutting its cloth" and hoping to retain Championship status.

IF we lose the players we are expected to lose (Ejaria, Swift, Moore, Miazga, Blackett, Gunter, McCleary, Meite, Puscas no longer available, surely finishing above last place is an achievement?

That is, if the exodus and replacements is s bad s it might be, Jesus Christ couldn't keep us up.

I am not crazy about Bowen, but he ticked the boxes, did his job. If we offload all the players we are expected to offload AVOIDING RELEGATION NEXT SEASON WILL BE STELLAR SUCCESS.

How may people here felt that after we had played abysmally for 11 games and were already relegation-fodder thought we could realistically make top half? Game by game I have not been thrilled, but you know I'm a stats man and it is TOTALLY UNDENIABLE that Bowen improved us substantially over Gomes 2019.

I am beginning to think Bowen is TRANSITION MAN. We have to survive this year (TICK!) and next year 2020-2021, then look to flirt with the top six, 2021-2022 then go for it ti 2022/23. Boring as duck I know, but restructuring a club is a long-term thing

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 23 Jul 2020 22:38

What a load of drivel.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 23 Jul 2020 23:04

Zip
leon
Zip

rare? get out

I was going to say a unique +1 but felt generous.

Fair enough you do know fcuk all about football being a rugby boyo

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 24 Jul 2020 02:20

With the likely point deductions coming next season, it might end up being the perfect season for a rebuild as we will have a greater chance of staying up should the reduction in quality put us back in a relegation scrap.

Alternatively who knows, maybe we get rid of the overpaid wasters, do some shrewd business and end up having a half-decent season with players who actually give a oxf*rd.