Sone Aluko

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Sone Aluko

by The Royal Forester » 12 Oct 2020 14:38

BraisingsteakRoyal
The Royal Forester I remember Micky Travers kicking a ball back to Arthur Wilkie(?) from the half way line. It bounced in front of our goalie and sailed over his head into the net. it was bad enough being the only goal of the match, but at Elm Park against Oxf*rd.......?

Hey Royal Forester - Mick is a relative - I don't spose you have any other memories of his playing days that I could pass on to him?

I've heard more about his time at Portsmouth when they were top of Div2 (as it was then) - and him having the hardest shot in the League at the time (something run by Shoot! magazine, which he also featured in!) and about hitting the (opposition!) bar from the halfway line in an FA Cup game when rumour has it Man Utd had some scouts come to watch him. I think he thinks its his Sliding Doors moment!

PM welcome. All the best.

Hello BR. Sorry, but I am afraid that I don't remember too much detail about any of the players, fifty or sixty years ago. I do recollect that the players were more friendly with the fans then than they are now. They always came out for a chat, especially at away games when only about a dozen or so were regular away day supporters. The players often passed complementary tickets to us. Maybe there are others on here who can remember more than me. Give Mick my thanks for the great times we had following The Biscuitmen in those far off days.
Best of luck for the future to both you and Micky.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 12 Oct 2020 14:47

Just found my autograph book from those days, it contains about a couple of dozen or so autographs from players, plus Roy Bentley, from that era. Of course Mick Travers signed his page. Most of the names I remember, but there are one or two I am struggling to remember, even though there is a photo of them in the book.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 12 Oct 2020 14:57

The Royal Forester
BraisingsteakRoyal
The Royal Forester I remember Micky Travers kicking a ball back to Arthur Wilkie(?) from the half way line. It bounced in front of our goalie and sailed over his head into the net. it was bad enough being the only goal of the match, but at Elm Park against Oxf*rd.......?

Hey Royal Forester - Mick is a relative - I don't spose you have any other memories of his playing days that I could pass on to him?

I've heard more about his time at Portsmouth when they were top of Div2 (as it was then) - and him having the hardest shot in the League at the time (something run by Shoot! magazine, which he also featured in!) and about hitting the (opposition!) bar from the halfway line in an FA Cup game when rumour has it Man Utd had some scouts come to watch him. I think he thinks its his Sliding Doors moment!

Hello BR. Sorry, but I am afraid that I don't remember too much detail about any of the players, fifty or sixty years ago. I do recollect that the players were more friendly with the fans then than they are now. They always came out for a chat, especially at away games when only about a dozen or so were regular away day supporters. The players often passed complementary tickets to us. Maybe there are others on here who can remember more than me. Give Mick my thanks for the great times we had following The Biscuitmen in those far off days.

He definitely had a good shot on him but was very left-footed.
Me and a mate used to call it a doing a "Mick Travers" if we sliced a ball but maybe that was a bit unfair.

On checking back I see that Mick played in the Southern Junior Cup Final v Chelsea in March 1960.
Reading had beaten Southampton, Portsmouth and Spurs along the way but lost 3-0 in the final.
The Reading team that night included future Reading regulars Arthur Wilkie, Chris Palethorpe, Ralph Norton and Vic Batt.
The Chelsea team included Peter Bonetti, Alan Harris,Terry Venables and Booby Tambling.

Mick's best 3 scoring seasons were 1963/4 when he got 7 in 31 games
1964/5 10 in 34
1965/6 10 in 37
Not bad for an orthodox left-half, i.e. left midfielder who also took penalties.

BraisingsteakRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by BraisingsteakRoyal » 12 Oct 2020 15:08

South Coast Royal
The Royal Forester
BraisingsteakRoyal

He definitely had a good shot on him but was very left-footed.
Me and a mate used to call it a doing a "Mick Travers" if we sliced a ball but maybe that was a bit unfair.

On checking back I see that Mick played in the Southern Junior Cup Final v Chelsea in March 1960.
Reading had beaten Southampton, Portsmouth and Spurs along the way but lost 3-0 in the final.
The Reading team that night included future Reading regulars Arthur Wilkie, Chris Palethorpe, Ralph Norton and Vic Batt.
The Chelsea team included Peter Bonetti, Alan Harris,Terry Venables and Booby Tambling.

Mick's best 3 scoring seasons were 1963/4 when he got 7 in 31 games
1964/5 10 in 34
1965/6 10 in 37
Not bad for an orthodox left-half, i.e. left midfielder who also took penalties.

Thanks chaps - perhaps thats why he talks more fondly of his pompey days :D