Next 5 games are key

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Next 5 games are key

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Oct 2020 09:43

NewCorkSeth
Hound Yep it’s just jeep picking up points where we can at the moment

Certainly I’d be disappointed with not getting a decent points return from that set of games mind you, but I do feel we’re probably likely to lose one pretty soon. Then it’s about bouncing back

I have a touch of the gamblers fallacy about me now. The longer we go without losing the more I believe we will lose the next game.

Obviously we have to lose and i think the analysts who are pointing out that we just simply are not taking enough shots to sustain this winning form are correct. All it takes is conceding a goal first to really test us right now.

oxf*rd xgoals.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 22 Oct 2020 09:51

Hound
Stranded
WestYorksRoyal We're doing well, but this list of games shows how tentative I still am. In 05/06 and at our peak in 11/12, you'd look at games and know we'd win (forget the no easy games cliché, the teams just had an aura).

Now I'm even looking at Rotherham as a possible banana skin. I'd be very happy with 10 points from those 5.

Maybe some games where we make a statement and score a hatful would make me feel better. When you keep coming out on top in close games, it's to be expected a couple of results will eventually go against you.

The aura for both those teams developed over time - in 05/06 for me at least it was a win against Hull in November (about game 18 or so) where Hull were the better team, equalised and looked like going on to win it - we then scored 2 in a minute to kill the game off. From that point on, I turned up to each game with the only question being "How many will we win by today?".

In 11/12 the aura was only there in the last third of the season.

Since then we've been generally awful so it will take a while for any aura to build and the natural nervousness that this may be the game we are found out to die down a bit, especially in home games.

The way I am looking at it, at the start of the season most of us would have been over the moon with 10 to 12 points from the first 7 games, we are already well ahead of that.

Think there were home games in the Stam era when you'd turn up expecting to win once we got up and running. In a way I don't think we are massively dissimilar at the moment from that side where we are really building the wins by being very strong defensively and often getting the odd goal or two by a bit of magic up front. Certainly a bit more entertaining though

Stam's season was bizarre. Most seasons when we were flying that high, there would be excitement, growing attendances, bigger atmospheres and a general feelgood factor. But there was real apathy around it and the dire final against Huddersfield, quite possibly the worst football match ever, was a fitting finale. Maybe memories of 2013 and how tough the PL can be were fresher too.

There's definitely more excitement this time, even with empty stadiums. Pauno's football is better to watch than Stam's, but it's also great just to be discussing the possibility of promotion after several poor seasons, even if many of us suspect it won't last.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Oct 2020 09:56

yes it was a very odd season. Remember a number of home games which we'd won being very dull affairs and not really feeling anything too much walking away at the end of them. The PO semi was good but can't remember any other games with a great atmosphere at home

Can't really remember a season like it.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 22 Oct 2020 10:01

My favourite seasons were under McDermott

We always seemed to be beating the odds.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Oct 2020 10:05

Coppell all the way.

royal67

by royal67 » 22 Oct 2020 11:09

Snowflake Royal Coppell all the way.

Too right....

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 22 Oct 2020 13:30

There is a sliver of a pretty decent team there at the moment;though it rarely comes through.After an awful start midweek in the first half,we then had a very promising ten minutes.I am not sure the units have quite clicked yet.Jao and Meite tend to be on different wavelengths,ditto Olise and Ejaria.I am convinced with intensive coaching it will come through though.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 22 Oct 2020 13:47

The key is essentially averaging 2 points a game which would give 92 points at the end of the season which should really ensure automatic promotion unless it’s a season very heavily dominated by a couple of other clubs.

Currently I think Reading are on a ratio of 2.6666 ppg so already have a little bit of a cushion but obviously the more a club can build up quickly the better.

The main issue with Reading for me is still the home form really, it’s unconvincing at best as there is just no tempo or up and at ‘em attitude and though the club have got through each test successfully so far you really can’t go into any home game too confident (esp after the last 3 seasons), least not for a while yet if Reading can keep “getting away with it”

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 22 Oct 2020 13:59

SouthDownsRoyal
Millsy The next 40 games will be crucial and a much better indicator than the next 5, for me.

I agree. I think once we have played 46 games we will have a better idea of where we will finish

Exactly.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 22 Oct 2020 19:15

12 points from the next 5 is more than achievable

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 22 Oct 2020 20:23

Millsy
SouthDownsRoyal
Millsy The next 40 games will be crucial and a much better indicator than the next 5, for me.

I agree. I think once we have played 46 games we will have a better idea of where we will finish

Exactly.

Depends on the points deduction...

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 22 Oct 2020 20:33

Snowball
Millsy
SouthDownsRoyal

Exactly.

So we won't have a better idea?

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 22 Oct 2020 20:37

Millsy
Snowball
Millsy
Exactly.

What points deduction?

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 22 Oct 2020 20:43

SouthDownsRoyal
Millsy
Snowball

What points deduction?

joke

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 22 Oct 2020 21:02

Snowball
SouthDownsRoyal
Millsy

What points deduction?

joke

Ok I will: A statistician got soaking wet trying to cross a river. He thought he could cross, because it was one-foot deep on average.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 22 Oct 2020 21:14

Snowball
SouthDownsRoyal
Millsy

What points deduction?

joke

Oh, you joker you!!