MATCHWATCH : Nottingham Forest (h) sponsored by Neil Webb

285 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Nottingham Forest (h) sponsored by Neil Webb

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Dec 2020 15:26

John Madejski's Wallet
Snowflake Royal
SCIAG Slightly dodgy stats though, comparing him to teenagers in top flights. Should have compared him to those in second divisions.

Championship is broadly equivalent to most European top flights outside the major powers like Italy, Spain, France, Germany, Netherlands, Russia, UK, Portugal.

Russia?
I'd say the Champ is almost the equivalent of all the top flight divisions in Europe if you took away the top 4-6 teams

It's a few years out of date, but I doubt much drastic has changed... but the Championship was the 8th richest league in Europe and I can't remember all of them but I think Russia / Portugal were up there.

I wouldn't say you're far off with your version.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 05 Dec 2020 15:49

An assured performance,everybody does their job to the best of their ability and in this division that’s all you need.So Tom Holmes isn’t a full back ? Who ever said he was ?

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 05 Dec 2020 15:51

Westwood52
Ascotexgunner VAR would have sent Cafu off there.

Yep after a v good refereeing performance for around 70 minutes; he then fell apart.How the hell did Son not get booked ? Left his foot in every time.

Yet another example of a ref not wanting to punish a team any further, even though he should?

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 05 Dec 2020 15:53

WoodleyRoyal Richards lucky there a petulant kick out. That’s booking number 4 this season when is the cut off, when yellows reset. It’s usually around Christmas isn’t it? Have they brought that date forward considering we’ve had more games in a shorter period.

31st December I believe. I expect VP will give Richards the hairdryer treatment for that stupidity. Made sense to take him off, not only to remove risk of second yellow but also to give Gibson some time at left back as I think it quite likely that he might have to replace Richards before the end of December.

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 05 Dec 2020 15:59

Enjoy it. This is as good as it gets.

Go up and we won’t get this easy a defence to take a part.

Stay down and we lose the squad.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Dec 2020 16:02

Definitely have a decision to make on Olise

If someone did come in with 25-30m and we have Swift fit, would you sell him. Knowing that his value will drop and he won’t sign on again with us?

Basically sorts out FFP and arguably doesn’t weaken us that much short term

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 05 Dec 2020 16:12

Hound Definitely have a decision to make on Olise

If someone did come in with 25-30m and we have Swift fit, would you sell him. Knowing that his value will drop and he won’t sign on again with us?

100% yes. Game changing money at this level, and forcing him to stay could only end badly when he's destined to play at a higher. If we're in the thick of the promotion race in January then maybe keep, but there is only 1 logical answer in the summer.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 05 Dec 2020 16:14

Good point. I keep forgetting we have Swift to come back. I think in the scenario you portray I'd probably say cash in, although it leaves us with limited 'creativity cover' - as is the case currently with Swift out. Maybe sell but have a replacement on board/lined up.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 05 Dec 2020 16:25

It was good to be there today.....
- Olise and Ejaria are sogood to watch. Over play it a bit but the tricks work a lot of the time
- Laurent and Rino, what an engine room. Second half Laurent chased a man along the right touchline but missed his tackle, Rino was right there to clear up and good to see the embrace between the two afterwards, really close knit pair
- Moore runs the team. Non stop talking, his word of the day was ‘patience’, constantly reminding players to do the right thing, really impressive captaincy
- agree about the technique. Even Morrison looks to have improved his touch.
- Meite obviously not fit but his power and pace is a lovely contrast to the more flamboyant players.
- never seen a ref subbed before but the guy who came on for the last 15 was rubbish !
- had expected a very subdued atmosphere but the crowd was in good voice. I wonder if the club fast tracked a few people to ensure a decent noise level ?
Last edited by Nameless on 05 Dec 2020 16:26, edited 1 time in total.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Dec 2020 16:25

Whose value will drop and won't sign on?

Swift or Olise?

If we can repeatedly refuse big offers for good players, we can tell clubs where to go for the best young player we've had since Gylfi.

The owners want to get promoted. Selling your best players in January all but guarantees we won't, and they haven't shown much concern around the finances so far.

Olise would be mad to move to a lower or middling PL club so early in his career where he can be back in the Championship or rotting in the reserves in no time. And he'd be mad to move to a big PL club here he won't play and just instantly rot in the reserves.

He should sign on for a wage bump and do at least another half season with us beyond this one.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 05 Dec 2020 16:28

Snowflake Royal
SCIAG
skipper Is Houghton drunk in his post match interview?

Saying we didn't have any clear cut chances?

We had dozens. We just weren't clinical.

Olise stats vs teenagers across Europe is also incredible.

Slightly dodgy stats though, comparing him to teenagers in top flights. Should have compared him to those in second divisions.

Championship is broadly equivalent to most European top flights outside the major powers like Italy, Spain, France, Germany, Netherlands, Russia, UK, Portugal.

It was comparing Championship to the top flights of Italy, Spain, Germany, and France as well as England. So, yeah he’s doing well (better than e.g. Harvey Elliott) but of course he’s doing better than Giovanni Reyna or Rodrygo, he’s playing at a lower level. Would have been better to compare with the second divisions in those five countries - could argue that the Championship has more money in it and so is a higher standard, but it would be a better comparison than the top flights.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 05 Dec 2020 16:29

Snowflake Royal

Swift or Olise?

If we can repeatedly refuse big offers for good players, we can tell clubs where to go for the best young player we've had since Gylfi.

The owners want to get promoted. Selling your best players in January all but guarantees we won't, and they haven't shown much concern around the finances so far.

Olise would be mad to move to a lower or middling PL club so early in his career where he can be back in the Championship or rotting in the reserves in no time. And he'd be mad to move to a big PL club here he won't play and just instantly rot in the reserves.

He should sign on for a wage bump and do at least another half season with us beyond this one.

Ideal scenario is we sell Olise for £20 million up front and significant add ons to a top 6 or top European club and get him back on loan for 2 years. He’s not ready to be in Arsenal’s first team yet but worth a top club capturing him and then letting him play every week and develop.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 05 Dec 2020 16:33

Snowflake Royal

Swift or Olise?

Agree and hope you're right

Swift is not the same class I'm afraid

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 05 Dec 2020 16:59

Looks like there isn’t going to be a BFTG thread so here are my ratings:

Rafael 7 - one good save but largely untroubled.

Holmes 8 - deserved a goal. Lost his man for the aforementioned save but his attacking movement is really coming along, he looks very composed on the ball, and his commitment to win that header was immense. Even had some good shimmies.

Morrison 8 - another committed performance, gets a mark for his goal

Moore 7.5 - defended very well, didn’t give them a sniff

Richards 9 - Sky put up some stats showing he was 1st in the league for tackles, 1st for winning the ball, and 3rd for successful crosses. I assume that’s for full backs. Immense either way, great movement, and his delivery has come on immensely. Six crosses today.

Rinomhota 8 - solid, not quite at his fearless best but hard to fault all the same.

Laurent 9 - his best game in a Reading shirt, seven tackles! Plus three key passes, the most passes of anyone on our team by far (96), and 96% pass completion. An immense performance that would probably have warranted a 10 if he hadn’t been shown up by...

Olise 10 - god he’s good. Doesn’t have the sheer impact that Gylfi did but no mistake about it, he has the same talent. His vision and technique are incredible, he sees and executes passes that other players won’t, he’s supremely confident on the ball and carries it well, he has many different ways to take a player on, and he had a huge role in both goals.

Meite 7 - not his best game, but did show a few flashes of brilliance and could have had two goals with a little bit more luck/composure. We’re lucky to have him.

Ejaria 8 - magic feet. Becoming such an intelligent player. Brilliant to see so many players surrounding him and doubtless that contributes to the success that Olise and Meite can enjoy.

Joao 7 - relatively quiet with only three shots, but he won’t mind because he got that goal.

Subs meh

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 05 Dec 2020 17:22

He will be worth just as much in the summer, keep him at all cost in January.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 05 Dec 2020 17:33

windermereROYAL

I agree but if Dai turns down silly money for him in the summer (and we’re still in the Champ), I’d be really pissed off. It’s a bit of a blessing Swift being injured at the mo as there’s not the debate as to who should play out of him Ejaria & Olise. It’s giving Olise plenty of game time, plus less eyes on Swift from the outside.

We need to tie Richards down to a contract too.

Really happy for Holmes too - who’d have thought he’d be out right back in the summer? He’s proved me wrong & he actually fits in really well. Once Yiadom is back, I’d ship Esteves back to Porto

Singing Defective

by Singing Defective » 05 Dec 2020 17:50

Simmops
Singing Defective
John Smith Whilst this fixture should be relatively straightforward, we must be extremely cautious of the quality possessed by Harry Arter. A player of his calibre could really cause us problems. I hope those lucky enough to be in the stadium tomorrow are appreciative of being so lucky to be witnessing him perform.

I am kinda looking forward to actually seeing us play more, though he did seem useful for Ireland, but, yep, consider myself fortunate and grateful. First game since Brum away, and a very different team.

There is another poster who has a hard on for Harry Artur :?

Unlike his manager, who subbed him off like for like...

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Dec 2020 17:55

Notts Royal
windermereROYAL

I agree but if Dai turns down silly money for him in the summer (and we’re still in the Champ), I’d be really pissed off. It’s a bit of a blessing Swift being injured at the mo as there’s not the debate as to who should play out of him Ejaria & Olise. It’s giving Olise plenty of game time, plus less eyes on Swift from the outside.

We need to tie Richards down to a contract too.

Really happy for Holmes too - who’d have thought he’d be out right back in the summer? He’s proved me wrong & he actually fits in really well. Once Yiadom is back, I’d ship Esteves back to Porto

I’m not sure relying on yiadom’s fitness is a great idea

Esteves has done ok. He was ok again today. Holmes was caught out a number of times defensively today. Actually I’d was disappointed with him defensively - though he made up for it well going forward

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 05 Dec 2020 18:05

Franconian Royal
Ascotexgunner
Snowflake Royal
In terms of watching on IFollow it only matters if it's a live main game on sky, not on red button.

Just PMd you....?give it a go. Way better.

Can't access it Sky, I live in Germany, but thanks m8. I've not received a message from you Ascot.

Game was live on DAZN here in Germany today. Most Sky Championship games are. Sport Digital or Sport 1 also show some games, always worth checking their listing too.

Singing Defective

by Singing Defective » 05 Dec 2020 18:05

SCIAG Looks like there isn’t going to be a BFTG thread so here are my ratings:

Laurent 9 - his best game in a Reading shirt, seven tackles! Plus three key passes, the most passes of anyone on our team by far (96), and 96% pass completion. An immense performance that would probably have warranted a 10 if he hadn’t been shown up by...

Olise 10 - god he’s good. Doesn’t have the sheer impact that Gylfi did but no mistake about it, he has the same talent. His vision and technique are incredible, he sees and executes passes that other players won’t, he’s supremely confident on the ball and carries it well, he has many different ways to take a player on, and he had a huge role in both goals.

Subs meh

Worth the trip just to see Laurent. WTF was he doing at Shrewsbury not to get noticed? Were they playing him in goal?!

Olise great, ready to fight another day.

Thought Aluko gave it a damned good go, actually.

Edited cause pissed. Urrrrrrrzzzzzzz

285 posts