MATCHWATCH : Brentford (h)

402 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Brentford (h)

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Feb 2021 19:01

windermereROYAL
Zip Brentford eased off in the second half though. However we had an injury ravaged side out that day. We will be much stronger on Wednesday. We can certainly win this.

Sorry mate but thats nonsense, teams do not ease off just because they are a few goals up, they scored seven against Wycombe just a couple of games ago. i like my glass half full rather than half empty so i see the stats as encouraging.

It happens all the time.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 08 Feb 2021 19:05

Snowflake Royal
windermereROYAL
Zip Brentford eased off in the second half though. However we had an injury ravaged side out that day. We will be much stronger on Wednesday. We can certainly win this.

Sorry mate but thats nonsense, teams do not ease off just because they are a few goals up, they scored seven against Wycombe just a couple of games ago. i like my glass half full rather than half empty so i see the stats as encouraging.

It happens all the time.

If Brentford had gone in at half time 0-0 with us does Windermere seriously think they would have played the way they did in the second half?

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 08 Feb 2021 19:24

Zip
Snowflake Royal
windermereROYAL

It happens all the time.

If Brentford had gone in at half time 0-0 with us does Windermere seriously think they would have played the way they did in the second half?

You can call me Windy 8)

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 08 Feb 2021 19:34

windermereROYAL
Zip
Snowflake Royal It happens all the time.

You can call me Windy 8)

I’ll call you something else in a minute. 8)

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 09 Feb 2021 01:26

Hound It’s a little disappointing that the likes of Stacey, Fosu, Dickie, Cooper and Hyam were all let go to some extent on the cheap/ooc whilst we ending up wasting a stack of money on players who have since moved on

But it happens, and obvs they may not have gone on to be Champ players had they stayed here. It’s also good for our academy to point at the number of pros at a good level - obvs especially true when you look at the ones still here

Our academy certainly seems to be strong and we must be one of the highest teams in the Championship for academy appearances (if not the highest)

Forget the Brentford model we all go on about, perhaps it’s all about the Reading model now :wink:

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 09 Feb 2021 01:30

I’d say of the XI we put out that day, 6 of them would make our “strongest team” so your point does hold to a certain extent

However, it’s also important to note that when we played them, Brentford were missing their first choice RB, their first and second choice CB’s, and they played without their first choice LB for half of the game, so they too, were injury ravaged

Been very positive about most our games this season, including defeats against the likes of Bournemouth and Stoke, however the reverse fixture was disappointing. Hopefully we can start the game a bit quicker this time around!

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 09 Feb 2021 01:32

Might pop £10 on 0-0.

Preston (took a few hours holiday) 0-0
Stoke (took a few hours holiday) 0-0
Brentford..... took a few hours holiday. 8)

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 09 Feb 2021 08:04

URZZZZ

I’d say of the XI we put out that day, 6 of them would make our “strongest team” so your point does hold to a certain extent

However, it’s also important to note that when we played them, Brentford were missing their first choice RB, their first and second choice CB’s, and they played without their first choice LB for half of the game, so they too, were injury ravaged

Been very positive about most our games this season, including defeats against the likes of Bournemouth and Stoke, however the reverse fixture was disappointing. Hopefully we can start the game a bit quicker this time around!

We were without our first choice right back in Yiadom and our second choice Araruna. We were without our first and second choice left backs in Richards and Gibson. We were without our most creative midfielder
of recent years in Swift.
Crucially we were without all of our strikers in Joao, Puscas and Meite. Brentford had nothing like the injuries we had that day.
Last edited by Zip on 09 Feb 2021 08:43, edited 3 times in total.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 09 Feb 2021 08:36

CountryRoyal Might pop £10 on 0-0.

Preston (took a few hours holiday) 0-0
Stoke (took a few hours holiday) 0-0
Brentford..... took a few hours holiday. 8)

I'm still annoyed I didn't back 0-0 for the Stoke game. Did it in a double with Swans/Norwich instead.

Have Brentford had any 0-0s this season? I think 3-3 might be more likely.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 09 Feb 2021 08:57

This is the sort of game that if we win, we get 3 points, and if we lose we get none.

So it's critical we win.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 09 Feb 2021 10:08

Zip
URZZZZ

We were without our first choice right back in Yiadom and our second choice Araruna. We were without our first and second choice left backs in Richards and Gibson. We were without our most creative midfielder
Crucially we were without all of our strikers in Joao, Puscas and Meite. Brentford had nothing like the injuries we had that day.

Was just adding some perspective to it and making the point that they too were missing some first team players, even if it wasn’t to the extent of our injury list

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 09 Feb 2021 10:46

URZZZZ
Zip
URZZZZ

Was just adding some perspective to it and making the point that they too were missing some first team players, even if it wasn’t to the extent of our injury list

They were missing players too but were not impacted to anywhere near the same extent.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 09 Feb 2021 11:27

It can be argued about the strengths of the two teams in the first fixture but the fact remains that they beat us comfortably and are currently 6 points ahead of us with a vastly superior goal difference.
If we lose on Wednesday we are then 9 points behind Brentford,7 points behind Norwich and 5 points behind Swansea with them having a game in hand.

I have a feeling that , despite both teams being at their best when attacking sides, it might be a cagey affair with us desperate not to lose.
A defeat would be quite a setback with Watford going above us and Bournemouth just 3 points behind-a setback for trying to get a top two finish but not too much of a setback in terms of aiming for a top 6 finish.

This could even have been a packed house game with a real atmosphere but it will have to be loads of us watching on our own from the settee which is a real shame.

What a boost a win would be though so let's hope we do go for it rather than keep it tight and hope for the best when it only needs a Rafael pass of Alisson quality to fcuk everything up and he has shown that he is more than capable of doing so.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 09 Feb 2021 12:17

South Coast Royal It can be argued about the strengths of the two teams in the first fixture but the fact remains that they beat us comfortably and are currently 6 points ahead of us with a vastly superior goal difference.
If we lose on Wednesday we are then 9 points behind Brentford,7 points behind Norwich and 5 points behind Swansea with them having a game in hand.

I have a feeling that , despite both teams being at their best when attacking sides, it might be a cagey affair with us desperate not to lose.
A defeat would be quite a setback with Watford going above us and Bournemouth just 3 points behind-a setback for trying to get a top two finish but not too much of a setback in terms of aiming for a top 6 finish.

This could even have been a packed house game with a real atmosphere but it will have to be loads of us watching on our own from the settee which is a real shame.

What a boost a win would be though so let's hope we do go for it rather than keep it tight and hope for the best when it only needs a Rafael pass of Alisson quality to fcuk everything up and he has shown that he is more than capable of doing so.

Yes both this game and Bournemouth would have had great atmospheres. It’s been a long time since we had that. We had it for the play off semi final v Fulham but there wasn’t really much excitement that season. Even though we were high up the table it didn’t feel like an authentic promotion push.

If we lose tomorrow we need to just look to cement our place in the top six as top two will be a very big ask.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Feb 2021 12:32

Zip
URZZZZ
Zip

They were missing players too but were not impacted to anywhere near the same extent.

Have they got their defenders back? Because that would be a definite worry given defence looked ropey for them.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 09 Feb 2021 13:29

Snowflake Royal
Zip
URZZZZ

Have they got their defenders back? Because that would be a definite worry given defence looked ropey for them.

Last time, they had Pinnock (suspension), Dalsgaard and Jansson (injuries) out. Since, Pinnock and Dalsgaard have returned with Jansson still out - so they’re closer to their first choice defence than they were in December. Also added Reid from West Ham who’s a decent defender

In saying that, they seem to be conceding goals (whilst outscoring their opponents) and their goalkeeper seems to have made a couple of errors in recent games so may be an idea to get some crosses into the box. Should be an interesting match up, one of the strongest attacks in the league against one of the strongest defences

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 09 Feb 2021 13:34

Snowflake Royal
Zip
URZZZZ

Brentford will be missing Shandon Baptiste, Pontus Jansson and Christian Norgaard through injury. Their starting line up at ‘boro was:

Raya
Dalsgaard Pinnock Sorensen Henry
Jensen Jenelt Ghoddos
Fosu Toney Canos

I would expect Mbueno and/or Dasilva to start v Reading after only being on the bench on Saturday, however Fosu is in great form currently having managed 3 goals and 2 assists in the last 6 games played.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 09 Feb 2021 14:41

Sutekh
Snowflake Royal
Zip

Brentford will be missing Shandon Baptiste, Pontus Jansson and Christian Norgaard through injury. Their starting line up at ‘boro was:

Raya
Dalsgaard Pinnock Sorensen Henry
Jensen Jenelt Ghoddos
Fosu Toney Canos

I would expect Mbueno and/or Dasilva to start v Reading after only being on the bench on Saturday, however Fosu is in great form currently having managed 3 goals and 2 assists in the last 6 games played.

Brentford fans want Fosu to start tomorrow night. Also bought Winston Reid following the Jansson injury.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 09 Feb 2021 15:52

Just saw this on the Brentford forum :lol:

https://twitter.com/SimpsonsWatford/sta ... 9467053058

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Feb 2021 18:09

tidus_mi2 Just saw this on the Brentford forum :lol:

https://twitter.com/SimpsonsWatford/sta ... 9467053058