MATCHWATCH : Brentford (h)

402 posts
URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Brentford (h)

by URZZZZ » 11 Feb 2021 10:38

hughsies no.1 Few thoughts, most already mentioned -
Positives -
- Knew ahead of the game that we were playing the best team in the league and we had to be in on our absolute 'A game' to compete with them to get points - and that first half was probably the best performance I have seen from us for years - the intensity of our game was incredible and you could see how fired up everyone was (including the staff in the technical area!)
- Passion, the fight the players showed in the game was a joy to see. All playing together for the team and fighting the cause - long may that continue!
- Semedo, the kids on Twitter threw the toys out the pram when he was listed on the teamsheet at 6pm, I thought that was probably his best game for us, to be thrown in against Brentford after not making many starts of late I thought he did very well. He offers something going forward and added protection for Laurent and Rino. Him going off messed up the balance of the team and I would say lost us the game.
- Yiadom, saw glimpses of the player we used to have last night - great to have him back (although was harsh on Holmes being dropped). Wonderkid Esteves from Porto now looks like our third choice RB.

Concerns -
- Lack of depth, Brentford bought on Canos who I think changed the game for them, we bought on Aluko (know he usually is a scape-goat and has actually done alright this season) and he looked so far off the pace of the game. Pauno made it clear he wanted bodies in Jan and I'm sure the owners would have provided them if they could - FFP must have been the reason.
- Injuries - with the point above, without Swift and Meite our bench is bare. Really hope these guys are back within 'weeks' as we were told
- Burnout - the players gave their absolute all last night and to come away with nothing will be a massive blow. To get them turned around and feeling fresh and in the correct mindset for Millwall on Saturday will be massive - huge task for Pauno. I'm concerned about Millwall on Saturday - must win in my book but can see it being a draw with fatigue from last night being a cause.

Overall thoughts -
If someone said come 11th Feb after the shambles of the summer we had with the manager leaving etc that we would be disappointed not to close the gap on the automatic spots whilst sitting 8pts clear of 7th I thought you would have been on an absolute wind-up. This team has come on leaps and bounds - if we play like we did in that first half last night every week we will comfortably make the play-offs and still have a real chance for automatics. 54pts left to play for - and it is very exciting times to be a Royal again!

Good post

Semedo was crucial to the set up last night, his off the ball work was superb, harrying, pressing throughout. On the ball, he doesn’t add much but nonetheless he had a good game last night

Esteves possibly 4th choice RB with the return of Araruna - although we don’t really know where Araruna fits in the pecking order. Even so, will be good to add another body to the midfield and a bit of competition there

Think yesterday may have been the game for a “fast” winger off the bench which I did hope we were looking at in January but not bringing all that up again

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 11 Feb 2021 10:38

Pepe the Horseman
NewCorkSeth
Hound
whats actually wrong with them - any ideas?

Seem to suggest Swift was a hammy strain again. Whats up with Meite?

I'd be surprised if its as long as a month for him - maybe just a reaction to his 30 mins at Stoke

Meite was def stretching his adductor on the pitch after a shot(?) Last game. Was rubbing it with a grimace.

As were you.

Wasn't with a grimace m8.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 11 Feb 2021 10:46

URZZZZ
hughsies no.1 Few thoughts, most already mentioned -
Positives -
- Knew ahead of the game that we were playing the best team in the league and we had to be in on our absolute 'A game' to compete with them to get points - and that first half was probably the best performance I have seen from us for years - the intensity of our game was incredible and you could see how fired up everyone was (including the staff in the technical area!)
- Passion, the fight the players showed in the game was a joy to see. All playing together for the team and fighting the cause - long may that continue!
- Semedo, the kids on Twitter threw the toys out the pram when he was listed on the teamsheet at 6pm, I thought that was probably his best game for us, to be thrown in against Brentford after not making many starts of late I thought he did very well. He offers something going forward and added protection for Laurent and Rino. Him going off messed up the balance of the team and I would say lost us the game.
- Yiadom, saw glimpses of the player we used to have last night - great to have him back (although was harsh on Holmes being dropped). Wonderkid Esteves from Porto now looks like our third choice RB.

Concerns -
- Lack of depth, Brentford bought on Canos who I think changed the game for them, we bought on Aluko (know he usually is a scape-goat and has actually done alright this season) and he looked so far off the pace of the game. Pauno made it clear he wanted bodies in Jan and I'm sure the owners would have provided them if they could - FFP must have been the reason.
- Injuries - with the point above, without Swift and Meite our bench is bare. Really hope these guys are back within 'weeks' as we were told
- Burnout - the players gave their absolute all last night and to come away with nothing will be a massive blow. To get them turned around and feeling fresh and in the correct mindset for Millwall on Saturday will be massive - huge task for Pauno. I'm concerned about Millwall on Saturday - must win in my book but can see it being a draw with fatigue from last night being a cause.

Overall thoughts -
If someone said come 11th Feb after the shambles of the summer we had with the manager leaving etc that we would be disappointed not to close the gap on the automatic spots whilst sitting 8pts clear of 7th I thought you would have been on an absolute wind-up. This team has come on leaps and bounds - if we play like we did in that first half last night every week we will comfortably make the play-offs and still have a real chance for automatics. 54pts left to play for - and it is very exciting times to be a Royal again!

Good post

Semedo was crucial to the set up last night, his off the ball work was superb, harrying, pressing throughout. On the ball, he doesn’t add much but nonetheless he had a good game last night

Esteves possibly 4th choice RB with the return of Araruna - although we don’t really know where Araruna fits in the pecking order. Even so, will be good to add another body to the midfield and a bit of competition there

Think yesterday may have been the game for a “fast” winger off the bench which I did hope we were looking at in January but not bringing all that up again

Kebano went to 'Boro.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 11 Feb 2021 10:53

NewCorkSeth
Hound
Zip
I read somewhere two weeks out for both of them. I cannot see it. Fully expect both out for at least a month. It’s a big blow.

whats actually wrong with them - any ideas?

Seem to suggest Swift was a hammy strain again. Whats up with Meite?

I'd be surprised if its as long as a month for him - maybe just a reaction to his 30 mins at Stoke

Meite was def stretching his adductor on the pitch after a shot(?) Last game. Was rubbing it with a grimace.

Yes it was apparently the shot he had at the end of the game that caused the injury. Shades of Joao v Brum.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 11 Feb 2021 11:33

hughsies no.1 - Semedo, the kids on Twitter threw the toys out the pram when he was listed on the teamsheet at 6pm, I thought that was probably his best game for us, to be thrown in against Brentford after not making many starts of late I thought he did very well. He offers something going forward and added protection for Laurent and Rino. Him going off messed up the balance of the team and I would say lost us the game.

I've always thought highly of Semedo, slight frame but brave and very strong, high-intensity type player, good tackles, lots of energy etc

But after last night, while he did ok, I can see why people don't rate him in that sometimes his passes are just shocking. He does the energy stuff and then a layoff to nobody. There might have been only one example last night when he passed it into touch instead of to Richards, but I've noticed it a few times now with him.

TBH though it's probably more a reflection of how excellent our boys are at passing. What Semedo does is pretty much what I'd consider normal at that pace of play - sometimes losing it - but our boys are incredibly good on the ball. It is breathtaking how our boys ping very quick triangles around all over the place in ways that in decades of watching Reading I can't say I've seen before. We were cutting through the league's best team last night like a hot knife through butter with quick triangle passes and through balls, a joy to behold. So when i knock Semedo it's not that the guy is crap, it's more than the bar has been set very high.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 11 Feb 2021 11:45

The stand-in reporter for the Chronic needs to stick to reporting planning meetings. His player ratings were ridiculously low given that performance from our team and the fact that we took the form team in the division right to the last few minutes, only to lose through the effects of fatigue and lack of strength in depth (compared to Brentford's squad).

But for the injuries to Swift and Meite I think we would have got at least a point from the game.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 11 Feb 2021 11:50

Semedo was, as he has been in the past, very hit and miss in the transition from midfield to attack. He runs decent lines, then misplaces a pass, makes a great pass, then vanishes. It's very telling that he is not a number 10.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 11 Feb 2021 11:52

RoyalBlue The stand-in reporter for the Chronic needs to stick to reporting planning meetings. His player ratings were ridiculously low given that performance from our team and the fact that we took the form team in the division right to the last few minutes, only to lose through the effects of fatigue and lack of strength in depth (compared to Brentford's squad).

But for the injuries to Swift and Meite I think we would have got at least a point from the game.

+1

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 11 Feb 2021 11:57

Millsy Hunty hit the nail on the head I think with the wisest thing said all evening, when he said not to be disappointed because the performance was so great it is very encouraging for the rest of the season.

Talking of Hunty, I thought he showed the regular two up with his sensible and informed contributions and opinions.

It was also interesting that he sensed a few potential attitude problems with Olise, which I think is something that VP has been alluding to and which have probably been behind some of the spells on the bench.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 11 Feb 2021 12:03

Just seen the goals;all three were very preventable.

First: Laurent s lack of mobility,meant Dasilva just ran past him.Should Rafa have saved from such a tight angle ?

Second : Richards flapped on the cross.If he had jumped he would have put the Brentford player off. It would be very harsh to blame McIntyre as the header came across and he was rightly protecting the six yard box,but maybe he could have reacted a bit quicker and got across to block.

Third Horrible flap by Rafa straight into the on rushing players path.

I am being picky however.We matched the best team in the division for most of the game.However with Swift,Meite,Moore and Puskas not available;we just did not have any kind of back up.The Bees however were at full strength,more or less.It s worth remembering also that Brentford have been there or thereabouts for the last three or four seasons;while we have come from the relegation candidates over that period.The owners need to be patient.Give Velcro a little bit of money next year and that will allow us to go up another level.At the moment we are not there.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 11 Feb 2021 12:04

RoyalBlue
Millsy Hunty hit the nail on the head I think with the wisest thing said all evening, when he said not to be disappointed because the performance was so great it is very encouraging for the rest of the season.

Talking of Hunty, I thought he showed the regular two up with his sensible and informed contributions and opinions.

It was also interesting that he sensed a few potential attitude problems with Olise, which I think is something that VP has been alluding to and which have probably been behind some of the spells on the bench.

I was never a great fan of him as a player but I thought his contribution last night was excellent-very perceptive and much more balanced than our regular twosome.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 11 Feb 2021 12:16

I agree with the poster who said about it being a joy watching our passing movements .
This is the way the McGhee side played and ended up finishing 2nd-we know what didn't happen next.

There is a tinge of disappointment though in that we ended up making so few chances and scoring goals is obviously such an important part of football, as are creating chances and defending.
Playing 5 in midfield there are the bodies to move the ball (and last night it was done quickly which we all want to see) but we are lacking that extra body further forward as Joao is so often on his own marked by 2 and sometimes 3.

That IMHO is the missing ingredient-yes Meite was out but often he plays well away from Joao but in our system I think we need midfielders getting much closer to Joao-Laurent did it well once last night and produced our only shot on target in open play.

More of it please Reading and we might just do enough eventually to at least win the play-offs even if 2nd spot needs far too much of a drop in form by all 4 of the other contenders, which is unlikely although not impossible.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 11 Feb 2021 12:28

NewCorkSeth Semedo was, as he has been in the past, very hit and miss in the transition from midfield to attack. He runs decent lines, then misplaces a pass, makes a great pass, then vanishes. It's very telling that he is not a number 10.

Whereas when Joao does it, as he did last night, everyone waves it through.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 11 Feb 2021 12:29

Norfolk Royal
NewCorkSeth Semedo was, as he has been in the past, very hit and miss in the transition from midfield to attack. He runs decent lines, then misplaces a pass, makes a great pass, then vanishes. It's very telling that he is not a number 10.

Yeah, because he scores goals? You can forgive a lot when a striker scores at the rate he has.

Also, I see now my post didn't clarify I thought he was perfectly good last night. So I'm doing that now. I can just see the frustration other fans have with him. Particularly as he had to replace Swift.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 11 Feb 2021 12:36

NewCorkSeth
Norfolk Royal

Yeah, because he scores goals? You can forgive a lot when a striker scores at the rate he has.

Also, I see now my post didn't clarify I thought he was perfectly good last night. So I'm doing that now. I can just see the frustration other fans have with him. Particularly as he had to replace Swift.

Exactly, Joao does his primary role brilliantly. Everything else is gravy.

If midfield<-->attack is your primary role it's less forgivable.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 11 Feb 2021 12:39

Good luck to Brentford, they thoroughly deserve their time in the sun. They currently living their equivalent of Reading 2004-06 time for us as fans. I’m sure they will look back at this period in their history with justifiable pride in the years to come.

Another big two fingers up to Wednesday, Forest, Derby and lurkers even lower like Ipswich and Sunderland, who can no longer see their more illustrious pasts in the rear view mirror but need to get the VHS player out of the loft to see their glory days.

Amazing really, a club not dissimilar to us, and Bournemouth come to that, unfashionable, mainly forgotten footballing outposts who have spent much of their histories bumbling around Divisions 3 and 4, crowds of 4,000, with the only glory being the chance to give a First Division side a bloody nose in the FA cup, and a very occasional short spell in Division 2 rubbing shoulders with some big names that had fallen on hard times ( looking at you Leeds United, Manchester City).

Enjoy your time on the big stage, and hope you don’t get patronised too much, although I am sure you will by a lazy media.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 11 Feb 2021 12:44

Zip
NewCorkSeth
Zip
Fair.

Et tu, Brute?

Well it is March next month.

Ides say so

Vicky Pollard

by Vicky Pollard » 11 Feb 2021 12:55

Mr Optimist Good luck to Brentford, they thoroughly deserve their time in the sun. They currently living their equivalent of Reading 2004-06 time for us as fans. I’m sure they will look back at this period in their history with justifiable pride in the years to come.

Another big two fingers up to Wednesday, Forest, Derby and lurkers even lower like Ipswich and Sunderland, who can no longer see their more illustrious pasts in the rear view mirror but need to get the VHS player out of the loft to see their glory days.

Amazing really, a club not dissimilar to us, and Bournemouth come to that, unfashionable, mainly forgotten footballing outposts who have spent much of their histories bumbling around Divisions 3 and 4, crowds of 4,000, with the only glory being the chance to give a First Division side a bloody nose in the FA cup, and a very occasional short spell in Division 2 rubbing shoulders with some big names that had fallen on hard times ( looking at you Leeds United, Manchester City).

Enjoy your time on the big stage, and hope you don’t get patronised too much, although I am sure you will by a lazy media.

Good post. They're a likeable outfit, with an astute manager, and should have gone up last year without the self-implosion in the last few games. Wasn't too keen on the bald assistant manager with air pods though, who seemed to be giving it large throughout and moaning about every decision. Why is he even wearing airpods? The airpods annoyed me.

Overall we can't be too upset. I think our intensity in the first half caused some loss of legs late on in the second, and we ran out of steam. I think we struggled to retain the ball to allow recovery and Swift does this so well for the team. Given the unexpected injuries, it was a great effort against a team unbeaten in 20. Onto Millwall, which is a big game to recover for with only a few days, both physically and mentally.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 11 Feb 2021 13:55

Any news on what the handbags was at half time between Pauno and Frank?

It looked like Frank went out of his way to say some conciliatory stuff to Pauno after the match, which looked nice, anyone know what might have been said?

As in, has Pauno revealed that. If so I missed it.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 11 Feb 2021 14:04

Westwood52 Just seen the goals;all three were very preventable.

First: Laurent s lack of mobility,meant Dasilva just ran past him.Should Rafa have saved from such a tight angle ?

Second : Richards flapped on the cross.If he had jumped he would have put the Brentford player off. It would be very harsh to blame McIntyre as the header came across and he was rightly protecting the six yard box,but maybe he could have reacted a bit quicker and got across to block.

Third Horrible flap by Rafa straight into the on rushing players path.

I am being picky however.We matched the best team in the division for most of the game.However with Swift,Meite,Moore and Puskas not available;we just did not have any kind of back up.The Bees however were at full strength,more or less.It s worth remembering also that Brentford have been there or thereabouts for the last three or four seasons;while we have come from the relegation candidates over that period.The owners need to be patient.Give Velcro a little bit of money next year and that will allow us to go up another level.At the moment we are not there.

No, to the first question. When shown from behind the angle wasn't as tight as it first looked. Also the shot was hit so hard, Rafael would have had to have had quicker reactions than Superman or be so big that he wouldn't be able to move.

Rafael will be disappointed with his parry for the third but I wouldn't call it a 'horrible flap'. IMO, less of a glaring error, more a could've/should've done better? moment that all keepers experience over a course of games - the same as strikers waste golden opportunities from time to time. Also have to question why the rest of the team had allowed the top scorer in the league to get totally free to bury the rebound - answer will doubtless be fatigue.

402 posts