MATCHWATCH : Queens Park Rangers (h)

302 posts
Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: MATCHWATCH : Queens Park Rangers (h)

by Mid Sussex Royal » 20 Mar 2021 18:05

Westwood52 TBF where we are from four seasons of relegation fodder is a pretty good achievement.I suspect the Owners however would expect us to be at least comfortably in the Play Offs.Pauno may well be the scapegoat and ditched.Pre season acquisitions were poor barring Ovie and Laurent.We went for Semedo who Forest didnt fancy and two trainees learning their trade in Estevez and Gibson.This means Pauno had zero options when it came to bringing players in once the usual starters lost form.His weakness as against say McDermott is that he didn’t recognise say L1 or L2 players like Laurent who could impact performance without costing us much in terms of salary and purchase price.

That's a bit unfair. I don't think he had any say on Semedo and Esteves who were likely Kia signings and we weren't able to sign anyone in the Jan window. Who else apart from Le Fondre did McD sign from the lower leagues anyway?

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 20 Mar 2021 18:06

Ascotexgunner Thought Bournmouth had played less games but they have played the same.....still have a 2 point lead.
Need Morrison back asap....Moore really isn't capable of organising in the same manner.

I don’t think that’s correct. The BBC app tables say they’ve played one less than us and if they win it would go above us on GD.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 20 Mar 2021 18:13

Ascotexgunner Thought Bournmouth had played less games but they have played the same.....still have a 2 point lead.
Need Morrison back asap....Moore really isn't capable of organising in the same manner.

They have played one less, and if they win their game in hand will go above us on goal difference.

Oh NR got there first nvm

Jinx

by Jinx » 20 Mar 2021 18:23

Zip
leon
St Pauli
I'm in two minds about Joao.

His general involvement in the game and effort has got better since his goals dried up.

But he's there to score goals and it's juts not working for him.

Still the impact of taking him off suggests he should still start.

Our entire way of playing is based around Joao. Without him we look a little lost.

Yes fair comment. If we play Puscas as a lone striker he struggles. It’s not ideal. We either play two up front in say Yaks and Meite but sacrifice one of our midfielders or do we stick with Joao as lone striker.
When Joao was flying it wasn’t up for debate. It has now has to be.

It's a good plan - but who is this other forward?

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 20 Mar 2021 18:30

Not sure on this narrow diamond formation, has its uses but IMO can only really be used in a specific way - we were getting overloaded down the flanks in the last 20 minutes and we did nothing to change it

Started both halves strongly but other than that, another pretty limp display unfortunately, with the subs once again being predictably wrong, not sure we touched the ball in their half after we made them? Aluko would have been more logical if he wanted to bring Olise off but then again, Paunovic has a habit of playing players in the wrong position so it isn’t entirely surprising

Zip’s ratings were about right, Ejaria had an excellent game, with most of the others flattering to deceive

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 20 Mar 2021 18:36

Norfolk Royal

I don’t think that’s correct. The BBC app tables say they’ve played one less than us and if they win it would go above us on GD.

Yep but 3 games to go until they play that, so table could look very different.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Mar 2021 18:39

Westwood52 TBF where we are from four seasons of relegation fodder is a pretty good achievement.I suspect the Owners however would expect us to be at least comfortably in the Play Offs.Pauno may well be the scapegoat and ditched.Pre season acquisitions were poor barring Ovie and Laurent.We went for Semedo who Forest didnt fancy and two trainees learning their trade in Estevez and Gibson.This means Pauno had zero options when it came to bringing players in once the usual starters lost form.His weakness as against say McDermott is that he didn’t recognise say L1 or L2 players like Laurent who could impact performance without costing us much in terms of salary and purchase price.

If Pauno gets ditched the owners really are beyond all saving and the quicker we got shot of them the better.

That would be two successive managers who did a good job who got binned without being given the proper time.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 20 Mar 2021 18:44

Jinx
Zip
leon
Our entire way of playing is based around Joao. Without him we look a little lost.

Yes fair comment. If we play Puscas as a lone striker he struggles. It’s not ideal. We either play two up front in say Yaks and Meite but sacrifice one of our midfielders or do we stick with Joao as lone striker.
When Joao was flying it wasn’t up for debate. It has now has to be.

It's a good plan - but who is this other forward?

:lol: Puscas :oops:

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 20 Mar 2021 18:45

Snowflake Royal

If Pauno gets ditched the owners really are beyond all saving and the quicker we got shot of them the better.

That would be two successive managers who did a good job who got binned without being given the proper time.

Yep. No need to change and let’s be honest he hasn’t been able to strengthen the squad in January. We can’t keep changing mangers every five minutes.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 20 Mar 2021 18:47

I`m beside myself that anyone anywhere associated with this team could even think about us getting shot of Pauno, this has been our best season since the PO defeat, instead of worrying about the drop we are flirting with the end of season lottery.
Whether we make it or not it`s been a huge improvement, sacking the manager would be football suicide.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Mar 2021 18:51

windermereROYAL I`m beside myself that anyone anywhere associated with this team could even think about us getting shot of Pauno, this has been our best season since the PO defeat, instead of worrying about the drop we are flirting with the end of season lottery.
Whether we make it or not it`s been a huge improvement, sacking the manager would be football suicide.

We've played a lot more enjoyable football and been less swingy than that season too.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 20 Mar 2021 18:53

Sutekh Hoping that the fact that Reading will have the better more confident teams in the run in will help their game more than a load of sides trying not to lose.

Thank you for finding something positive

The break, a re-think and refuelling and maybe we can turn things around
We are definitely better against the less physical teams and especially those teams that try to play it about a bit

So maybe there is something in this?
It may be a slender hope but I'm going to stick with it

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 20 Mar 2021 18:57

Didn`t watch the game today but just caught up with the highlights. I mean wow, apart from the goal two huge chances from Holmes side, lucky equaliser that the keeper really should have stopped, and that Joao miss :shock:
Lucky point.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 20 Mar 2021 19:02

windermereROYAL Didn`t watch the game today but just caught up with the highlights. I mean wow, apart from the goal two huge chances from Holmes side, lucky equaliser that the keeper really should have stopped, and that Joao miss :shock:
Lucky point.

Fair result I reckon over the piece, and ok by me. They are decent atm and made some good loan signings in Jan, had also won 4 of their last 5 away and were before today 5th in 2021 form table. Won at Watford recently and beat Bournemouth too. Was never going to be easy today, we messed up in the week.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 20 Mar 2021 19:09

Zip
Snowflake Royal

Yep. No need to change and let’s be honest he hasn’t been able to strengthen the squad in January. We can’t keep changing mangers every five minutes.

Whilst Bowen didn't do an awful job I think getting shot of him was justified. Our home record was unforgivable and our results after lockdown were total rubbish.

I agree on Paunovic being given more time as he's had very little money to spend due to the Gourlay era limiting our FFP room for movement in the transfer market. Can't sack him for improving us with no funds.

download

by download » 20 Mar 2021 19:24

Towards the end of the game, on the radio commentary, Dellor made mention of Ady "smelling a rat" before the game started and he had now spotted it. He said he would explain later but as usual, I could get past the usual Rita reading out the texts before I switched off. Did Dellor elaborate? I assume he didn't mean literally there was a dead rat in the commentary position, but something odd was happening.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 20 Mar 2021 19:25

Our form has got slowly worse as the season has gone on, but I think people are reading too much into it. Even if we finish the season with a limp, the fundamentals are there to build upon. McIntyre and Holmes have proven themselves, Laurent and Rinomhota are a great partnership and Joao, Puscas and Meite have goals in them. Caveat on left back and Richards though.

The end to 04/05 was diabolical, but the building blocks were there.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 20 Mar 2021 19:39

download Towards the end of the game, on the radio commentary, Dellor made mention of Ady "smelling a rat" before the game started and he had now spotted it. He said he would explain later but as usual, I could get past the usual Rita reading out the texts before I switched off. Did Dellor elaborate? I assume he didn't mean literally there was a dead rat in the commentary position, but something odd was happening.

I didn't hear anything said after the match. Smelling a rat was referred to before the match as well. Think it was something to do with a previous match, does anyone know what they we talking about?

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 20 Mar 2021 20:05

Snowflake Royal
Zip
leon
Ejaria had some end product and his work rate was excellent.

He should have had at least two assists. He was outstanding. We really ran out of stream and the last 15 was a horrible watch. Holmes is a real prospect but at centre back. We have to play Esteves at right back if Yids is unfit. Holmes had a torrid time.

Holmes had his worst game at RB by far, but he's been consistently good there previously. He's ahead of Esteves for a reason.

^^ yeah I'd still tale Holmes over Esteves at RB

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 20 Mar 2021 20:08

Mid Sussex Royal

That's a bit unfair. I don't think he had any say on Semedo and Esteves who were likely Kia signings and we weren't able to sign anyone in the Jan window. Who else apart from Le Fondre did McD sign from the lower leagues anyway?

Hope Akpan, Ian Harte, Nick Blackman

302 posts