3542 posts
Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Pauno out

by Brogue » 29 Aug 2021 11:36

Westwood52
Brogue
Delboy If he goes who is available

Doesn’t need to be a top name, regardless of our situation we are still a attractive prospect to a lot of managers/coaches. We just need someone who can steady the ship get us organised at the back and bring some sort of identity to the way we play. There has to be someone out there. Steve bould for instance has been let go by arsenal who has run their u23’s for years. I’m not necessarily suggesting him but it’s just an example of someone out of work that has good defensive pedigree. John Terry’s name has been thrown around but has oxf*rd all experience Steve bould has bags of it. Duncan Ferguson was the fan’s favourite at Everton when ancelloti left, he would probably take a champ job. Pardew is out of work, as is Neil Lennon. I’m sure we can find someone who could turn this shambles around.

Can you imagine Pardew coming back ?

I think enough water has passed under the bridge now. No question he would be a very good manager at this level. I think most fans would see the bigger picture. Of course there will be a noisy few who will still hold a grudge.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Aug 2021 11:45

What’s pardew actually been doing for the last 5 years or so? No thank you

There’s plenty of options about it we went down the route of sacking Pauno. But yes, he probably gets a few more games but must be on final warnings stage

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 29 Aug 2021 11:50

Hound What’s pardew actually been doing for the last 5 years or so? No thank you

There’s plenty of options about it we went down the route of sacking Pauno. But yes, he probably gets a few more games but must be on final warnings stage

The morning after I am in the give him a few more games camp provided there is a reaction against QPR. Even if it’s just a point from that game it would be acceptable. He has to arrest this slump.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 29 Aug 2021 11:55

I think if we get any lower than 3 points from the next two home games, he's gone

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Aug 2021 12:29

Zip
Hound What’s pardew actually been doing for the last 5 years or so? No thank you

The morning after I am in the give him a few more games camp provided there is a reaction against QPR. Even if it’s just a point from that game it would be acceptable. He has to arrest this slump.

Yeah that. Even a defeat but a vastly improved performance, esp at the back

Tbh I’m fuming about the defence. I don’t claim to know who’s to blame but vastly experienced and decent champ players like Rino, Laurent, Moore, Morrison, Yiadom and Rafael coming up with the absolute faeces they have this year is not acceptable in the slightest

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 29 Aug 2021 12:35

Hound
Zip

Tbh I’m fuming about the defence. I don’t claim to know who’s to blame but vastly experienced and decent champ players like Rino, Laurent, Moore, Morrison, Yiadom and Rafael coming up with the absolute faeces they have this year is not acceptable in the slightest

For sure - but the sad part is does anyone here genuinly believe there will be kind of reaction, or any kind of tactical or personnel change that will change the outcome? I truly believe if it was up to Pauno he would do the same shit week in week out until we were relegated, and continue to do so in League One. Thankfully we don’t have owners that will allow that.

How many moments at the back end of the season in “must win games” did he choose to do nothing or make a defensive switch when chasing the game. He has precedent and has shown no willingness to change time after time.

I don’t believe he will have a light bulb moment now - nothing I have seen has suggested that, and therefore in my opinion each game we continue with him is missing out on the chance to pick up valuable points.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Aug 2021 12:46

No I don’t believe he will turn it round if I’m being totally honest

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 29 Aug 2021 12:54

Hound
Zip

Yep this.

Paunovic can make excuses about his lack of striker options, he's perfectly justified. There is absolutely no excuse for the shit show that is our defence. Yiadom, Morrison, Moore and Rafael are all experienced pros, they are all letting the club down massively and Paunovic is complicit as he is the one who persists with the ridiculous set piece strategies. Moore in particular is to blame in my opinion, he has been playing like a complete amateur.

Esteban

by Esteban » 29 Aug 2021 13:03

Presumably, any payout we'd have to make for sacking Pauno and his assistants would count against FFP? If so, there's no way we'll sack him before the end of the transfer window as it may prevent us bringing anyone else in.

And then we have to consider what his sacking might do to our ability to offer new contracts.

In other words, results might not be the only consideration when deciding whether or not to pull the trigger.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Aug 2021 14:17

Westwood52 Reputedly we will be signing two further players.That makes six;so some of last season’s established picks should start looking over their shoulder and up their game.A number of players yesterday stunk the place out,with their performance levels and should be ashamed.Bit angry really.
A new manager usually results in dead cat bounce,and if it means Pulis coming in for a couple of seasons so be it.Desperate times call for desperate measures.Is the tippy tappy football then lose it, we have tried to play under Stam/Gomes/Pauno really any better than hoofball ?
We may have to rely on Joao coming back in the New Year,and us putting in a strong end of season run of results.This league is so full of crap teams,we will still be in touch and be able to get out of the mire.However mental fortitude has not been one of our attributes for several seasons and losing does becomes a habit.

Lol at the idea of any manager finishing 2 seasons with us. McDermott is the last manager we had to complete at least two full seasons.

I think the last one to get to season end twice was Adkins and he didn't actually have many games in his first.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Aug 2021 14:20

Brogue
Jagermesiter1871 Good job we have loads of money to pay off Paunos contract :roll: not to mention hire a new manager of any sort of worth. Best case we'll have another no name, no experience 3rd division Portuguese manager.

What about having no money do you lot not understand? And surely any money we do have would be better off being spent on players?

We have loads of money, money isn’t the issue, ffp is the issue, and manager severance pay isn’t included In ffp figures.

No. We Don't.

Reading FC is not Dai Yongge and Dai Yongge is not Reading FC. Dai Yongge has loads of money, Reading FC has the squareroot of oxf*rd all money and assets.

We can't spend Yongge's money without getting penalised.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Aug 2021 14:25

Esteban Presumably, any payout we'd have to make for sacking Pauno and his assistants would count against FFP? If so, there's no way we'll sack him before the end of the transfer window as it may prevent us bringing anyone else in.

And then we have to consider what his sacking might do to our ability to offer new contracts.

In other words, results might not be the only consideration when deciding whether or not to pull the trigger.

Brogue says no, but I can't see how that would be true. Their wages will be in ffp and all we'd be doing is paying up their contract, which is for this season. It's not additional cost. But their replacements would be.

So it might not be accurate to say we can't afford to pay him off, but it wouldn't be far off to say we can't afford to hire a replacement.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 29 Aug 2021 14:26

That's because we keep making silly managerial appointments. We lack any Plan A when searching for someone to manage the squad and just make punts on managers who aren't any good. Adkins was probably the only ok appointment. The rest were clueless and got lucky.

We really need a director of football or someone in the club to be doing this. Even if there was they deserve sacking too.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 29 Aug 2021 14:27

Snowflake Royal
Esteban Presumably, any payout we'd have to make for sacking Pauno and his assistants would count against FFP? If so, there's no way we'll sack him before the end of the transfer window as it may prevent us bringing anyone else in.

Brogue says no, but I can't see how that would be true. Their wages will be in ffp and all we'd be doing is paying up their contract, which is for this season. It's not additional cost. But their replacements would be.

So it might not be accurate to say we can't afford to pay him off, but it wouldn't be far off to say we can't afford to hire a replacement.

+1

JimmytheJim

by JimmytheJim » 29 Aug 2021 14:31

Royal_jimmy That's because we keep making silly managerial appointments. We lack any Plan A when searching for someone to manage the squad and just make punts on managers who aren't any good. Adkins was probably the only ok appointment. The rest were clueless and got lucky.

We really need a director of football or someone in the club to be doing this. Even if there was they deserve sacking too.

Adkins was terrible. Other than that you are spot on.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Aug 2021 14:36

JimmytheJim
Royal_jimmy That's because we keep making silly managerial appointments. We lack any Plan A when searching for someone to manage the squad and just make punts on managers who aren't any good. Adkins was probably the only ok appointment. The rest were clueless and got lucky.

Adkins was terrible. Other than that you are spot on.

Better than most managers since, so what does that say about them.

Paunovic matched him and Stam exceeded, but both have fallen apart worse than Adkins did.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 29 Aug 2021 15:17

Whilst Pauno has had his hands tied Adkins had to rely on Jake Taylor who's now at Stevenage and Aaron Kuhl who doesn't play professionally anymore. I think even though we were poor he wasn't that bad vs who has managed us since.

Pauno has 2 capable midfielders in Laurent and Rinomhota, an unbalanced but capable defence but a depleted forward line.

Pains me to say it but I'd have Adkins back.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 29 Aug 2021 15:36

Brogue
Jagermesiter1871 Good job we have loads of money to pay off Paunos contract :roll: not to mention hire a new manager of any sort of worth. Best case we'll have another no name, no experience 3rd division Portuguese manager.

What about having no money do you lot not understand? And surely any money we do have would be better off being spent on players?

We have loads of money, money isn’t the issue, ffp is the issue, and manager severance pay isn’t included In ffp figures.

Is it not?

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 29 Aug 2021 15:37

Jagermesiter1871
Brogue

Is it not?

It is from what I have read.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 29 Aug 2021 16:32

Snowflake Royal
Brogue

No. We Don't.

Reading FC is not Dai Yongge and Dai Yongge is not Reading FC. Dai Yongge has loads of money, Reading FC has the squareroot of oxf*rd all money and assets.

We can't spend Yongge's money without getting penalised.

Shopping centres in this Covid era may not be trading as profitable as they once were. Nor are Chinese business people immune to the wishes of the party. Clouded in a sea of fog. Who knows what is really going on. Worth is a paper number. Cash is a different matter. The demise of the two other football clubs under ownership doesn't suggest that this is an industry that the owners have any expertise in. Unfortunately an all too familar story.

3542 posts