Pauno out

3542 posts
tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Pauno out

by tmesis » 29 Aug 2021 17:11

One thing I really didn't like, apart from the 0-4 lumping, was the comment that the game was something the squad should just forget about.

I think that's entirely wrong. It needs to be something we learn from. It wasn't a freak result that came out of nowhere. There are serious problems that need to be addressed that go beyond the thinness of the squad.

I sort of feel like the needs a 0-6 or worse to really hammer home how badly they are playing.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 29 Aug 2021 18:14

Royal_jimmy Whilst Pauno has had his hands tied Adkins had to rely on Jake Taylor who's now at Stevenage and Aaron Kuhl who doesn't play professionally anymore. I think even though we were poor he wasn't that bad vs who has managed us since.

Pauno has 2 capable midfielders in Laurent and Rinomhota, an unbalanced but capable defence but a depleted forward line.

Pains me to say it but I'd have Adkins back.

Dejan Tetek has played more games for us than Aaron Kuhl did. And Kuhl was a better player than Tetek who would probably be playing at about this level if he hadn't had a terrible run of injuries.

That said it's fair to say we were pretty patchwork at times in Adkins' second season. Akpan played far too much.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 29 Aug 2021 18:40

SCIAG
Royal_jimmy Whilst Pauno has had his hands tied Adkins had to rely on Jake Taylor who's now at Stevenage and Aaron Kuhl who doesn't play professionally anymore. I think even though we were poor he wasn't that bad vs who has managed us since.

Pauno has 2 capable midfielders in Laurent and Rinomhota, an unbalanced but capable defence but a depleted forward line.

Dejan Tetek has played more games for us than Aaron Kuhl did. And Kuhl was a better player than Tetek who would probably be playing at about this level if he hadn't had a terrible run of injuries.

That said it's fair to say we were pretty patchwork at times in Adkins' second season. Akpan played far too much.

For those interested I believe Aaron is still with Slough Town (he’s 25 now) while Hope Akpan, now 30, plies his trade with the Finnish club SJK.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 29 Aug 2021 19:34

SCIAG

I think Kuhl had an attitude problem and had a very poor loan spell somewhere in Scotland and his injury problems happened after he'd been released

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 29 Aug 2021 20:23

Esteban Presumably, any payout we'd have to make for sacking Pauno and his assistants would count against FFP? If so, there's no way we'll sack him before the end of the transfer window as it may prevent us bringing anyone else in.

And then we have to consider what his sacking might do to our ability to offer new contracts.

In other words, results might not be the only consideration when deciding whether or not to pull the trigger.

Someone (Brogue I think) keeps saying that paying off a manager and back room staff is not included in FFP.

If that’s the case then employ a high profile manager on a huge contract and sack him every month or so, then re-employ him after the pay-off.

Conclusion, I think pay-offs must be included in FFP

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 29 Aug 2021 22:48

SCIAG

I disagree, I don't think Aaron Kuhl was very good

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 30 Aug 2021 09:26

Royal_jimmy
SCIAG

Then you didn’t see him play.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 30 Aug 2021 09:35

Tetek and Halilovic’s cameos were the only bright sparks from Saturday afternoon. The youngster, Clarke, gave me reason for some optimism too, in his short time on the pitch. what I imagine that Huddersfield defence wouldn’t be good with, is someone running at them with pace and we didn’t do that until that point. He is extremely rough around the edges at the moment but with more appearances off the bench he will get there and he will definitely come good.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 30 Aug 2021 09:45

SCIAG
Royal_jimmy
SCIAG Dejan Tetek has played more games for us than Aaron Kuhl did. And Kuhl was a better player than Tetek who would probably be playing at about this level if he hadn't had a terrible run of injuries.

If he was then he'd be playing at a decent level regardless of injuries or circumstances

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 30 Aug 2021 09:46

Given the imminent arrival of Scott Dann plus the rumours that Drinkwater and Zeqiri may also be heading this way my guess is VP is safe for now but given the additions that have been made, if things are still dire at the end of September/early October then that's when things may change.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 30 Aug 2021 10:30

Sutekh Given the imminent arrival of Scott Dann plus the rumours that Drinkwater and Zeqiri may also be heading this way my guess is VP is safe for now but given the additions that have been made, if things are still dire at the end of September/early October then that's when things may change.

Agree. You’ve got to give him at least a few games after the transfer window closes to see if he can turn it around with the new signings. If we are still in the shit come November, it might be time to reassess.

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 30 Aug 2021 11:17

morganb Is there no other way to discipline a manager other than to sack them?

Could Dai not put a rocket up him or give him targets to reach in a given timescale otherwise he will be fined, with sacking as a last resort?

If Pauno does get the push is there anyone we can promote from within? O'Shea was a possibility but he has now gone.

Was so wrapped up in the Euros and Wimbledon that this passed me by :oops: Sad he's gone.
Given our defensive problems going back to pre season could they be put down to his departure? Defensively after he became a full time coach our record was fine wasn't it?

Reminds me of when Steven Reid left in pre-season in Stam's 2nd season...doesn't bode well.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 30 Aug 2021 12:09

Royal_jimmy
SCIAG
Royal_jimmy

If he was then he'd be playing at a decent level regardless of injuries or circumstances

I remember watching Darren Caskey makes his debut for Spurs. Had a bright future. Unfortunately didn't have the attitude to maintain top flight football despite an abundance of talent.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 30 Aug 2021 13:48

I wonder if PAUNO reads hobnob

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Aug 2021 14:33

Royal_jimmy
SCIAG
Royal_jimmy

You've got a lot to learn about football then. A huge amount of success is the right opportunity at the right time. And injuries can have a huge effect on careers.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 30 Aug 2021 14:43

Westwood52
Brogue
Delboy If he goes who is available

Doesn’t need to be a top name, regardless of our situation we are still a attractive prospect to a lot of managers/coaches. We just need someone who can steady the ship get us organised at the back and bring some sort of identity to the way we play. There has to be someone out there. Steve bould for instance has been let go by arsenal who has run their u23’s for years. I’m not necessarily suggesting him but it’s just an example of someone out of work that has good defensive pedigree. John Terry’s name has been thrown around but has oxf*rd all experience Steve bould has bags of it. Duncan Ferguson was the fan’s favourite at Everton when ancelloti left, he would probably take a champ job. Pardew is out of work, as is Neil Lennon. I’m sure we can find someone who could turn this shambles around.

Can you imagine Pardew coming back ?

I’m with Colin…

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 30 Aug 2021 15:12

Uke
Westwood52
Brogue
Doesn’t need to be a top name, regardless of our situation we are still a attractive prospect to a lot of managers/coaches. We just need someone who can steady the ship get us organised at the back and bring some sort of identity to the way we play. There has to be someone out there. Steve bould for instance has been let go by arsenal who has run their u23’s for years. I’m not necessarily suggesting him but it’s just an example of someone out of work that has good defensive pedigree. John Terry’s name has been thrown around but has oxf*rd all experience Steve bould has bags of it. Duncan Ferguson was the fan’s favourite at Everton when ancelloti left, he would probably take a champ job. Pardew is out of work, as is Neil Lennon. I’m sure we can find someone who could turn this shambles around.

Can you imagine Pardew coming back ?

I’m with Colin…

Lol great gifs

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 30 Aug 2021 18:11

Need to cut Pauno some slack for a month...apparently he's been conducting a large part of the transfer negotiations over the last couple of weeks because that Pang guy we bought in doesn't speak much English :D

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 30 Aug 2021 18:28

Royal_jimmy
SCIAG

He was pretty good;a sort of poor mans Darren Caskey.Bit slow though.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 30 Aug 2021 18:50

Westwood52
Royal_jimmy
SCIAG Dejan Tetek has played more games for us than Aaron Kuhl did. And Kuhl was a better player than Tetek who would probably be playing at about this level if he hadn't had a terrible run of injuries.

He was pretty good;a sort of poor mans Darren Caskey.Bit slow though.

Will second that, he was never the most mobile but his injuries made him even slower and he lost a lot of his confidence. Last time I saw him play he was completely within himself, hiding from the ball, not seeing passes, avoiding tackles.

There have been plenty of successful players with a similar set of attributes - Andrea Pirlo for example. But Kuhl’s injuries and lack of confidence just killed him.

3542 posts