Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Pauno out

by Stranded » 31 Oct 2021 20:59

Zip
Stranded
Zip

It certainly isn’t right. We conceded from a corner in our last home game v Blackpool. It’s also a repeat of so many set piece goals conceded this season. He doesn’t want to learn.

We conceded from 2nd phase having cleared the ball out of the box. At set pieces from outside of the box, we use more of a high line that has had us caught out. Proper zonal marking has only been used, effectively, at corners this season.

As mentioned, yesterday's goal was caused by blocking players to free up Cahill, we try to employ similar tactics when we have corners. When it works it looks simple and we should have done better but it was not a fault of how we set up.

I disagree. Second phase or not Blackpool scored as a result of a corner we failed to clear.
As for the blocking again I disagree. We always leave players unmarked at the back post both from corners and free kicks and we so often get punished.

Probably semantics but once out of the box the set up has done it's initial job. Defender not getting enough on it has naff all to do with zonal or otherwise as it was effective. Again poor clearance and not reacting to 2nd phase.

From corners, we do not leave players unmarked at the back post. Free kicks we did but that has markedly improved. I am struggling to think of examples where players are free from corners, not saying it hasn't happened but if it has, certainly since the first international break it has caused zero issues from corners.

I'm not sue how unusual can disagree with the blocking last night as it happened. Look at a replay, Swift is blocked and even calls out the run but no-one is able to react due to being engaged by other Bournemouth players.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 31 Oct 2021 21:05

Stranded
Zip
Stranded
We conceded from 2nd phase having cleared the ball out of the box. At set pieces from outside of the box, we use more of a high line that has had us caught out. Proper zonal marking has only been used, effectively, at corners this season.

As mentioned, yesterday's goal was caused by blocking players to free up Cahill, we try to employ similar tactics when we have corners. When it works it looks simple and we should have done better but it was not a fault of how we set up.

I disagree. Second phase or not Blackpool scored as a result of a corner we failed to clear.
As for the blocking again I disagree. We always leave players unmarked at the back post both from corners and free kicks and we so often get punished.

Probably semantics but once out of the box the set up has done it's initial job. Defender not getting enough on it has naff all to do with zonal or otherwise as it was effective. Again poor clearance and not reacting to 2nd phase.

From corners, we do not leave players unmarked at the back post. Free kicks we did but that has markedly improved. I am struggling to think of examples where players are free from corners, not saying it hasn't happened but if it has, certainly since the first international break it has caused zero issues from corners.

I'm not sue how unusual can disagree with the blocking last night as it happened. Look at a replay, Swift is blocked and even calls out the run but no-one is able to react due to being engaged by other Bournemouth players.

I have watched plenty of games where we have left players unmarked at the back post from corners! It astounds me that it happens and keeps on happening.

Re the blocking we have to be more streetwise. Cahill was always going to be one of their threats at a corner, We genuinely didn’t seem to know what to do. From one corner both Puscas and Swift stayed out of the box forcing Bournemouth to keep more players back. From another corner we kept just one player out of the box and from the corner they scored from all of our players dropped back. That doesn’t strike me as being organised.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 31 Oct 2021 21:24

Zip
Stranded
Zip

I have watched plenty of games where we have left players unmarked at the back post from corners! It astounds me that it happens and keeps on happening.

Re the blocking we have to be more streetwise. Cahill was always going to be one of their threats at a corner, We genuinely didn’t seem to know what to do. From one corner both Puscas and Swift stayed out of the box forcing Bournemouth to keep more players back. From another corner we kept just one player out of the box and from the corner they scored from all of our players dropped back. That doesn’t strike me as being organised.

Yes he was, I believe he was Swift's man and he knew he was blocked. Blocking is attempted at literally every single corner it is how you make space. The fact it is even a discussion shows we don't get caught out by it very often. They did a job on us on that play.

As I say, I don't recall players unmarked at the back post from corners that often as it clearly hasn't been an issue for weeks. I mean that in the sense that it hasn't caused us to concede goals or chances.

Zonal marking by it's nature will see players in space but the point is to cut the ball out if it gets in your zone. We generally do that well especially at corners.

We have also improved. According to Who scored, we have let in 8 goals from set plays not incl. pens. 6 of those were up to the Peterborough game. So 6 in the first 7 games.

In the last 9, 2. They class the Blackpool goal as a corner goal, so I will accept that. It feels that the narrative was set in those first 7 games and even though now we are actually OK generally at set plays as soon as we do let one in via one (which you will) we harp back to that terrible run and see this goal as proof we are still shocking at set plays.

The truth is more grey than black-and-white. We were shit, we've improved but we will let in goals and we will hopefully continue to improve in that aspect.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 31 Oct 2021 21:28

Stranded
Zip
Stranded

Yes he was, I believe he was Swift's man and he knew he was blocked. Blocking is attempted at literally every single corner it is how you make space. The fact it is even a discussion shows we don't get caught out by it very often. They did a job on us on that play.

As I say, I don't recall players unmarked at the back post from corners that often as it clearly hasn't been an issue for weeks. I mean that in the sense that it hasn't caused us to concede goals or chances.

Zonal marking by it's nature will see players in space but the point is to cut the ball out if it gets in your zone. We generally do that well especially at corners.

We have also improved. According to Who scored, we have let in 8 goals from set plays not incl. pens. 6 of those were up to the Peterborough game. So 6 in the first 7 games.

In the last 9, 2. They class the Blackpool goal as a corner goal, so I will accept that. It feels that the narrative was set in those first 7 games and even though now we are actually OK generally at set plays as soon as we do let one in via one (which you will) we harp back to that terrible run and see this goal as proof we are still shocking at set plays.

The truth is more grey than black-and-white. We were shit, we've improved but we will let in goals and we will hopefully continue to improve in that aspect.

Well why was Swift supposed to be marking Cahill? Swift is poor in the air up against a centre back who is strong in the air. Not a great match up. We have to be better than that and not allow teams to do a job on us like that.

We will have to disagree on players unmarked at the far post from corners. It happens on a regular basis.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 31 Oct 2021 21:35

Again I'm not saying it doesn't but we are defending the ball so the player being in space means nothing if the ball gets nowhere near him.

If the corner has been defended effectively where other players are means nothing but sometimes the opposition work the channels and blockers and the ball gets to him and they score. Sometimes you just say fair play.

As mentioned 2 goals from set plays (excl. Pens) in 9 games is not a massive issue, we've probably scored that many or more ourselves.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 31 Oct 2021 21:40

Stranded
Zip
Snowflake Royal That can't be right, because that goal came exactly the same way multiple ones have earlier in the season.

11 in the box. Stood around the 6 yard box, simple ball beyond the back post to someone unmarked. Then either straight in , or back across goal to a player who is unmarked with one of our defenders standing in space looking gormless rather than challenging the header.

I don't know which is wrong, first goal from a corner or zonal from fks, but I suspect both.

Reading have conceded the second most goals from set pieces in the division. That's joint 5th worst in the FL. Unacceptable.

It certainly isn’t right. We conceded from a corner in our last home game v Blackpool. It’s also a repeat of so many set piece goals conceded this season. He doesn’t want to learn.

It is if it happens regularly. Which it does.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 31 Oct 2021 21:42

Stranded
Zip
Stranded

You'd have to be an imbecile to put Swift on Cahill at a corner.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 31 Oct 2021 21:52

Snowflake Royal
Stranded
Zip

You'd have to be an imbecile to put Swift on Cahill at a corner.

Be the other way round. Opposition managers will identify the areas to target. Ejaria is a weakness from set pieces as well.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 01 Nov 2021 05:56

Snowflake Royal
Stranded
Zip

Again, I'm not saying it hasn't but I feel there is a lotbod confirmation bias going on here as we conceded from a corner routine on Saturday.

I absolutely accept that early seasonnit was laughable the amount of players who got free past the back post, Bristol City probably being the nadir and we conceded similar goals v Peterborough and Huddersfield but...

Since those first 7 games, goals conceded have dried up from set plays. One followed a poor clearance and was a hit from the D and Saturday. This means we are either defending them much, much better or game after game teams are missing what was an obvious flaw in the defence and not hitting set plays to the back.

So if it is still happening, and I have my doubts we are clearly comfortable that we can handle 99% of set plays in this format.

If people can give me examples where it is still happening regularly then fair enough but until so, my feeling remains that the view is, we were shit, it was a problem, they scored so it must still be a problem.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 Nov 2021 09:38

Zip
Stranded
Zip

Well why was Swift supposed to be marking Cahill? Swift is poor in the air up against a centre back who is strong in the air. Not a great match up. We have to be better than that and not allow teams to do a job on us like that.

We will have to disagree on players unmarked at the far post from corners. It happens on a regular basis.

Agree to an extent with Stranded - we've certainly improved in this area, but this one was poor. Blackpool was poor (and it wasn't just their goal, they almost scored with a carbon copy in the first half)

Regarding Swift - we just aren't a particularly good team in the air. Laurent was on Solanke, Dann and Moore trying to attack the ball in the middle and probably keeping an eye on Billing and their other CB. None of the others are particularly strong in the air, Swift is at least reasonably tall and a bit of a presence

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 01 Nov 2021 11:36

Franchise FC
Snowflake Royal Unless something significant changes, I'm now fully on board saying goodbye at the end of his contract.

He's really not moved us far forward from where Bowen had us, we're currently regressing on even that. And much of his success is built on those first 8 games last season which is looking increasingly like Bowen's legacy and O'Shea's influence more than anything Paunovic has done.

Have to say I'm starting to feel vindicated on the view that our upturn had little to do with any decisions he made that weren't just enforced on him.

At least he isn't Gomes / Stam2 / Clarke / Clement. Though there's time for Stam2 yet.

So he hasn’t moved us far forward since Bowen.

Which suggests we’re at least as good as we were under Bowen. Achieved whilst missing a long list of injured players.

I’m not particularly in the IN or OUT camp, but suggesting he should have taken us further ahead of where we were under the current circumstances is a little difficult to understand.

Or maybe I’m just stupid

I don't think you're stupid. I think what Pauno is achieving in the circumstances that Hound succinctly outlined is a fcuking miracle, to be honest. If we can find a way to go on another couple of win streaks this season, we'll probably have enough to stay up, and as I've said a few times, not getting relegated really needs to be the extent of our hopes this season.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 01 Nov 2021 12:05

Not sure it is a miracle, we have a pretty competitive first XI on paper and a few players who'd walk into any Championship side. We aren't Derby County or Barnsley, we have some excellent Championship players. We have very poor depth though which isn't Paunovic's fault at all and he is massively hamstrung by it.
That being said, his tactics at time are extremely questionable and I don't think he has any real idea how to change a game if plan A isn't working. I think he will probably leave at the end of the season but he shouldn't be removed before then, no need to. He has shown that under his leadership we can win games and play well and that we will have enough to stay up.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 01 Nov 2021 12:13

Hound
Zip
Stranded

Agree to an extent with Stranded - we've certainly improved in this area, but this one was poor. Blackpool was poor (and it wasn't just their goal, they almost scored with a carbon copy in the first half)

Regarding Swift - we just aren't a particularly good team in the air. Laurent was on Solanke, Dann and Moore trying to attack the ball in the middle and probably keeping an eye on Billing and their other CB. None of the others are particularly strong in the air, Swift is at least reasonably tall and a bit of a presence

One other comment on this matter of defending and being not very good in the air.
Joao was quite often the player to head clear from set pieces but Puscas is no Joao when it comes to height or heading ability.
Another example of the importance of Joao to this team.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Nov 2021 12:14

Stranded
Snowflake Royal
Stranded

Again, I'm not saying it hasn't but I feel there is a lotbod confirmation bias going on here as we conceded from a corner routine on Saturday.

I absolutely accept that early seasonnit was laughable the amount of players who got free past the back post, Bristol City probably being the nadir and we conceded similar goals v Peterborough and Huddersfield but...

Since those first 7 games, goals conceded have dried up from set plays. One followed a poor clearance and was a hit from the D and Saturday. This means we are either defending them much, much better or game after game teams are missing what was an obvious flaw in the defence and not hitting set plays to the back.

So if it is still happening, and I have my doubts we are clearly comfortable that we can handle 99% of set plays in this format.

If people can give me examples where it is still happening regularly then fair enough but until so, my feeling remains that the view is, we were shit, it was a problem, they scored so it must still be a problem.

It improved when Moore got injured. It's gradually deteriorated again with Captain Calamity back in charge of defence.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Nov 2021 12:20

Sanguine
Franchise FC
Snowflake Royal Unless something significant changes, I'm now fully on board saying goodbye at the end of his contract.

He's really not moved us far forward from where Bowen had us, we're currently regressing on even that. And much of his success is built on those first 8 games last season which is looking increasingly like Bowen's legacy and O'Shea's influence more than anything Paunovic has done.

Have to say I'm starting to feel vindicated on the view that our upturn had little to do with any decisions he made that weren't just enforced on him.

At least he isn't Gomes / Stam2 / Clarke / Clement. Though there's time for Stam2 yet.

So he hasn’t moved us far forward since Bowen.

Which suggests we’re at least as good as we were under Bowen. Achieved whilst missing a long list of injured players.

I’m not particularly in the IN or OUT camp, but suggesting he should have taken us further ahead of where we were under the current circumstances is a little difficult to understand.

Or maybe I’m just stupid

I don't think you're stupid. I think what Pauno is achieving in the circumstances that Hound succinctly outlined is a fcuking miracle, to be honest. If we can find a way to go on another couple of win streaks this season, we'll probably have enough to stay up, and as I've said a few times, not getting relegated really needs to be the extent of our hopes this season.

Let's not forget that 14th under Bowen started out with an appalling run under Gomes and involved a lot of injuries too, not as many maybe, but still plenty.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 Nov 2021 12:56

Snowflake Royal
Sanguine
Franchise FC So he hasn’t moved us far forward since Bowen.

Or maybe I’m just stupid

Let's not forget that 14th under Bowen started out with an appalling run under Gomes and involved a lot of injuries too, not as many maybe, but still plenty.

I'm talking as someone who liked Bowen and was disappointed when he left. But its just not a fair comparison at the moment. Just picked the Stoke game (first one after lockdown) and the team that day was:

Rafael, Gunter, Moore, Morrison, Richards, Obita, Olise, Swift, Ejaria, Meite, Joao. Subs: Walker, Rino, Baldock, McCleary, Blackett, Timbe, Adam, Osho, Puscas.

compare that to

Southwood, Yiadom, Moore, Dann, Baba, TDB, Ejaria, Drinkwater, Swift, Laurent, Puscas. Subs: Rafael, Holmes, (a bunch of 6th formers)

Have to also remember that Bowen's team fell away dreadfully that year like we did last year.

I don't think we've progressed from Bowen's time, but I wouldn't blame Pauno for that particularly. 2 years of no cash signings, a ridiculous injury crisis, plus not being able to move on players he'd prob like to

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 01 Nov 2021 13:40

Snowflake Royal
Stranded
Snowflake Royal It is if it happens regularly. Which it does.

It improved when Moore got injured. It's gradually deteriorated again with Captain Calamity back in charge of defence.

Again, has it really though?

I'm looking at this as I was pretty much of the same initial view on Saturday of, oh yep another goal from the back post but in the cold light of day thought want really the case and both my memory and stats suggest it isn't.

Again blaming Moore, who has his faults seems to just be trying to fit a narrative. The goals we have given away, one was a shot from a partial clearance and the other on Saturday, neither really can have blame attached to Moore.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Nov 2021 14:09

Stranded
Snowflake Royal
Stranded

I'm looking at this as I was pretty much of the same initial view on Saturday of, oh yep another goal from the back post but in the cold light of day thought want really the case and both my memory and stats suggest it isn't.

Again blaming Moore, who has his faults seems to just be trying to fit a narrative. The goals we have given away, one was a shot from a partial clearance and the other on Saturday, neither really can have blame attached to Moore.

I've discussed this with zip before.

He's a poor defender who relies on throwing his body in the way at the last minute to get away with poor positioning. That's not a trait to look for in the guy responsible for organising things on tglhe pitch. He's captain of a defence that frequently (over his tenure) finds itself all at sea and panicking.

He's not directly at fault for a lot of these specific goals, but he has added responsibility for organising and preventing them. And knocking down Pauno's door to say something isn’t right.

It's no coincidence we improved when he got injured. Holmes and Southwood were a big improvement on him and Cabral.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 01 Nov 2021 14:21

Snowflake Royal
Stranded
Snowflake Royal It improved when Moore got injured. It's gradually deteriorated again with Captain Calamity back in charge of defence.

It's no coincidence we improved when he got injured. Holmes and Southwood were a big improvement on him and Cabral.

Using this logic, why is Morrison not on your list considering he was injured almost the same time as Moore and Rafael?

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 01 Nov 2021 14:24

URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal
Stranded

Using this logic, why is Morrison not on your list considering he was injured almost the same time as Moore and Rafael?

I'm not saying I agree with Ian as I never really shared his dislike for Moore and in our debates I used to blame Morrison more than I did Moore. But the wheels seem to have come back off the defence when Moore came back (bar initial clean sheet IIRC) and Morrison stays out injured.

3542 posts