Pauno out

3542 posts
Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Pauno out

by Stranded » 11 Dec 2021 22:03

Jinx Pointless arguing Stranded, once people make their minds up about a manager they will never change

Not arguing, just pointing out facts and using actual quotes. Not trying to change anyones mind as I'm pretty sanguine about if he stays or goes.

Not my call and totally accept he has been handed a crap hand. Would love to see how he does with a fully fit squad but don't see that happening any time soon.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 11 Dec 2021 22:04

Not sure how you can it’s meaningless. In our last 46 games we have 51 points. Fact. This isn’t about losing to West Brom. This is about people to take their head out the sand. People saying we will be fine need to have a long hard look at themselves. We are two points above relegation. And have been averaging relegation form now for a full 46 games.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 11 Dec 2021 22:05

Stranded
Brogue
Stranded
This is what VP said about the performance, what is incorrect here:

So he mentions the one excellent counter attack we had where TDB really should have hit the target if not scored.

Is that from the get reading? I read that also and that’s not what he said in the post match interview on bbc berks.

Chronicle in the "Every word from VP article". Was a very balanced view of what and why it went wrong. Didn't hear the radio interview but always prefer transcripts as you can read what was said not what you think you may have done.

Something we are all guilty of.

:roll: I know exactly what he said. His interview for bbc berks was very different to that you have quoted. Ady Tim and mick discussed for a few minutes how we didn’t deserve more from the game which is what pauno said.

Jinx

by Jinx » 11 Dec 2021 22:09

We cannot, with all these injuries, get a proper team on the pitch. It's not so much, we'll be fine but more WTF is he actually supposed to do at the moment?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Dec 2021 23:01

Jinx Pointless arguing Stranded, once people make their minds up about a manager they will never change

TBF, stranded is just as set on being relentlessly optimist... sorry realistic :roll:

We're incredibly up and down, but definitely more down than up. And whilst you have to take care looking at form into last season, you also can't just dismiss it because you don’t like it.

27 points from 22 is danger territory. Especially when you consider that includes a purple patch We're unlikely to replicate.

The injury crisis defies all attempts to clear it. Azeez has returned twice to go immediately back injured. Rinomhota appears to have got lost behind the treatment room fridge and we're now without about our 5 highest scorers in recent seasons.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 11 Dec 2021 23:07

Stranded
Brogue
AthleticoSpizz It’s football mate, it's a 46 game season...chill

We’ll be fine with the guy who works with these sicknotes

:roll: And what exactly makes you think we will be fine? Have you not seen the table?

We are only 2 points off relegation due to the deduction, we are realistically, even with a continuing shocking injuries lower mid table not relegation fodder.

This team can and will pick up enough wins along the way. We nearly always lose at WBA, 33 years now isn't it since a win and we apparently had to shift game plan late in the week due to Swift and Drinkwater being out. Not getting to get my knickers in a twist about today.

If we fail to take 4 from the next 6, then things may look a little bleaker but today is shrug shoulders and move on.
Agree and good post......(but however, we beat Brumidge 3-2 Jan 2013 just for the record)...being relegated isn’t the end of the world (been there, done that, many times) and some here are fretting far too much, but hey, the play-offs are still on! 8)

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 12 Dec 2021 00:00

AthleticoSpizz
Stranded
Brogue
:roll: And what exactly makes you think we will be fine? Have you not seen the table?

We are only 2 points off relegation due to the deduction, we are realistically, even with a continuing shocking injuries lower mid table not relegation fodder.

This team can and will pick up enough wins along the way. We nearly always lose at WBA, 33 years now isn't it since a win and we apparently had to shift game plan late in the week due to Swift and Drinkwater being out. Not getting to get my knickers in a twist about today.

If we fail to take 4 from the next 6, then things may look a little bleaker but today is shrug shoulders and move on.
Agree and good post......(but however, we beat Brumidge 3-2 Jan 2013 just for the record)...being relegated isn’t the end of the world (been there, done that, many times) and some here are fretting far too much, but hey, the play-offs are still on! 8)

We beat them in 2016 as well, 3:1 in the FA Cup. Which was two wins on the bounce in all competitions against them. In fact, we knocked them out the FA cup in 2006, 2010 & 2011.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 12 Dec 2021 00:06

I still want Pauno to go. I wanted him to go in the summer. We should not be a club that accepts being near the bottom of the 2nd tier especially with the calibre players in our team. Truth is in the past 3 months we are too easy to play against, don't score enough or keep enough clean sheets and tactics are entirely predictable and ineffective.

Injuries are no excuse. If the medical team are failing then the buck stops with the manager to sort it out. I don't put this set of injuries down to luck as we've had the problems for a few years now.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 12 Dec 2021 01:26

From a personal perspective, you want to see two key features from each manager which is (A) - a clear identity, a defined style of play and (B) - adjustments where required, learning from mistakes without too rash a decision

Struggling to categorise Paunovic into either of those. The style of play leaves a lot to be desired. From watching the games, it feels like we consistently have a lot of possession around the defence and midfield but that doesn’t seem the case reflecting on the stats. Certainly aren’t a counter attacking side as we have very little pace - aside from a few flashes from Halilovic. We’re not a long ball team or a physical side. We rarely score headers (certainly not from open play). What exactly do we try and do?

Similar boat with Gomes in that there wasn’t much of an identity there towards the latter stages of his time here. Bowen post lockdown too. Strangely enough, Clement, who probably has the worst PPG of our most recent managers was the one I was most disappointed at leaving as he was gradually building something, even if the overall progress was slow

Overall to have lost 50% of league matches is deeply concerning, even with the injuries. A lot of teams would love to have the likes of Drinkwater, Swift, Carroll etc in their squad. By that reckoning, we’re underperforming and it rarely looks like we’re going to sustainably improve. We won’t go down but to even consider that highlights how disappointing its been on the whole

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 12 Dec 2021 01:59

Lo and behold.

A defeat (away against third in the league) and this thread rises to the top. How could I guess.

BUT, despite still Pauno in, I'm not going to defend that performance today. Injuries or not it was utter shite.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 12 Dec 2021 06:28

Snowflake Royal

TBF, stranded is just as set on being relentlessly optimist... sorry realistic :roll:

We're incredibly up and down, but definitely more down than up. And whilst you have to take care looking at form into last season, you also can't just dismiss it because you don’t like it.

27 points from 22 is danger territory. Especially when you consider that includes a purple patch We're unlikely to replicate.

The injury crisis defies all attempts to clear it. Azeez has returned twice to go immediately back injured. Rinomhota appears to have got lost behind the treatment room fridge and we're now without about our 5 highest scorers in recent seasons.

I'm seriously not mate, see my posts after the Sheffield Utd game. If it's shit it's shit, yeaterday wasn't great but I refuse to judge our season on a defeat at 3rd place when we have lost 2 key midfielders late in the week meaning an apparent shift in personnel and system.

If we can't get bodies regularly fit enough we may well be fcuked but THIS SEASON - 27 from 22 would see us a comfortable 8 points ahead of the drop and no-one would be worried, bored and frustrated maybe but not worried.

If we find ourselves in the shit after the next 2 then fair enough but we yeaterday was always a result likely to happen meaning the gap is 2 because of a goalkeeping error and terrible red performance v Hull.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 12 Dec 2021 06:38

Brogue Not sure how you can it’s meaningless. In our last 46 games we have 51 points. Fact. This isn’t about losing to West Brom. This is about people to take their head out the sand. People saying we will be fine need to have a long hard look at themselves. We are two points above relegation. And have been averaging relegation form now for a full 46 games.

I'll show you how it is meaningless. Barnsley.

Under your last 46 game scenario, Barnsley are 4 points better than us but because the first 24 games are now meaningless- i.e. they have no impact on the current season - they find themselves 8 points behind us - meaning they have picked up 14 less than us on the pitch this season.

Teams are different, situations different. Pressures different,

So yes form isn't great but given only the top 7 have won more games than us this year, there is more than enough in this squad to pull away. IF, we actually get a fit consistent team. As mentioned before, the only time we were really able to name a consistent team we went on a very decent run.

If we bumble around with 11 or so out for the rest of the year then it may be touch and go.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 12 Dec 2021 11:31

URZZZZ From a personal perspective, you want to see two key features from each manager which is (A) - a clear identity, a defined style of play and (B) - adjustments where required, learning from mistakes without too rash a decision

Struggling to categorise Paunovic into either of those. The style of play leaves a lot to be desired. From watching the games, it feels like we consistently have a lot of possession around the defence and midfield but that doesn’t seem the case reflecting on the stats. Certainly aren’t a counter attacking side as we have very little pace - aside from a few flashes from Halilovic. We’re not a long ball team or a physical side. We rarely score headers (certainly not from open play). What exactly do we try and do?

Similar boat with Gomes in that there wasn’t much of an identity there towards the latter stages of his time here. Bowen post lockdown too. Strangely enough, Clement, who probably has the worst PPG of our most recent managers was the one I was most disappointed at leaving as he was gradually building something, even if the overall progress was slow

Overall to have lost 50% of league matches is deeply concerning, even with the injuries. A lot of teams would love to have the likes of Drinkwater, Swift, Carroll etc in their squad. By that reckoning, we’re underperforming and it rarely looks like we’re going to sustainably improve. We won’t go down but to even consider that highlights how disappointing its been on the whole

Sums it up well. Regardless where West Brom are in the league - zero shots on target AGAIN is simply not good enough

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 12 Dec 2021 11:55

In all seriousness, 3 of the next 4 games look like big matches. Less than 6 points or so and I think those who have been wavering will turn.

Getthebeerens

by Getthebeerens » 12 Dec 2021 15:43

Not in the Pauno out camp but I have to say I wouldn't be renewing his contract on current form.

The injuries are killing us and I expect an improvement as and when we get some players back.

More importantly we should be getting a director of football in place, the lack of a longer term plan is killing the club. We keep repeating the same mistakes.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 12 Dec 2021 16:27

Stranded
Brogue Not sure how you can it’s meaningless. In our last 46 games we have 51 points. Fact. This isn’t about losing to West Brom. This is about people to take their head out the sand. People saying we will be fine need to have a long hard look at themselves. We are two points above relegation. And have been averaging relegation form now for a full 46 games.

I'll show you how it is meaningless. Barnsley.

Under your last 46 game scenario, Barnsley are 4 points better than us but because the first 24 games are now meaningless- i.e. they have no impact on the current season - they find themselves 8 points behind us - meaning they have picked up 14 less than us on the pitch this season.

Teams are different, situations different. Pressures different,

So yes form isn't great but given only the top 7 have won more games than us this year, there is more than enough in this squad to pull away. IF, we actually get a fit consistent team. As mentioned before, the only time we were really able to name a consistent team we went on a very decent run.

If we bumble around with 11 or so out for the rest of the year then it may be touch and go.

This

fred sharpes nose

by fred sharpes nose » 12 Dec 2021 19:27

FFP will prevent Pauno Out this season

His contract (and backroom staff) will not be renewed

He may have a "keep us up bonus" that can be enginnered somehow but after the season whatever happens he wil be gone

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 12 Dec 2021 22:40

fred sharpes nose FFP will prevent Pauno Out this season

He may have a "keep us up bonus" that can be enginnered somehow but after the season whatever happens he wil be gone

The incoming manager will have the challenge of a depleted squad along with financial constraints when it comes to recruitment. A revolving door of loanees and free agents isn't going to build a settled team. We've been treading water for a while already.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Dec 2021 23:39

Lower West
fred sharpes nose FFP will prevent Pauno Out this season

The incoming manager will have the challenge of a depleted squad along with financial constraints when it comes to recruitment. A revolving door of loanees and free agents isn't going to build a settled team. We've been treading water for a while already.

On the plus side they start with the slate all but wiped clean. Bar Moore. Unless Pauno ties a load of players down to longer contracts in January.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 13 Dec 2021 09:13

Regardless of the injuries, that is still a decent team he is putting out. Lets be honest, we were battered and the attacking instinct non-existent. Its the manor of defeat and style of play the problem and its not getting any better. Regardless of injuries, our form over the past 12 months is pretty shocking.

There are a number of managers out of work who could install some fight in the team, even for a short term....

Neil Warnock
Mick Mccarthy
Tony Pulis
Chris Hughton
Steve Bruce
Sam Allardyce
Alan Pardew

Might not like the choice but it has come to that. British managers with experience who can install a system to get us the 8 wins needed to stay up. Then review. Club is still an attraction with superb facilities. I believe the time has come.

3542 posts