3542 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Pauno out

by Hound » 11 Sep 2021 18:42

Stranded
Hound
Stranded
I agree but this is finally close to his team. We win with Dann on the pitch. We have enough going forward to hurt every side in this division and until the CBs clocked off after our 3rd, it was a solid defensive performance undone by poor decisions allowing a quick reply.

VP erred by taking off the wrong player but I sense a decent run is not far off.

I think that’s the optimistic way of looking at it - not saying it isn’t the case but I really fear for us at the back

MM, Moore and Rafael are woeful. Yiadom was a bit better today but Rahman seems pretty similar - does some great stuff but seems to leave a lot of space in behind

I do like the look of us going forward. Puscas much better today and still Joao hopefully to come back reasonably soon relatively

The issue is that we play perhaps a little high and this needs to be rectified. But it is small tweaks now. Overall, and again I know it sounds stupid but there were definite improvements defensively today undone, for me, by a lack of concentration after they thought the game was won.

I’m not sure. Think Moore really has become a horrible defender. He seems to have shrunk somehow and barely wins an aerial cleanly. He looks slow and cumbersome and constantly behind the play

MM is suffering for it. Still winning some good headers but struggled against pace and think it was him who have away that free kick near the end with an absolutely shockingly bad tackle in the circumstances

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 11 Sep 2021 18:43

Hound
Stranded
Hound
I think that’s the optimistic way of looking at it - not saying it isn’t the case but I really fear for us at the back

MM, Moore and Rafael are woeful. Yiadom was a bit better today but Rahman seems pretty similar - does some great stuff but seems to leave a lot of space in behind

I do like the look of us going forward. Puscas much better today and still Joao hopefully to come back reasonably soon relatively

The issue is that we play perhaps a little high and this needs to be rectified. But it is small tweaks now. Overall, and again I know it sounds stupid but there were definite improvements defensively today undone, for me, by a lack of concentration after they thought the game was won.

I’m not sure. Think Moore really has become a horrible defender. He seems to have shrunk somehow and barely wins an aerial cleanly. He looks slow and cumbersome and constantly behind the play

MM is suffering for it. Still winning some good headers but struggled against pace and think it was him who have away that free kick near the end with an absolutely shockingly bad tackle in the circumstances

Dropping Moore is one of my tweaks ;-)

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 11 Sep 2021 18:48

New players. Same tactics. Same formation. Same problems. Same insipid post match interview.

Who is the defensive coach now?

Once in the drop zone the pressure will intensify.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 11 Sep 2021 18:49

Lower West New players. Same tactics. Same formation. Same problems. Same insipid post match interview.

Who is the defensive coach now?

Once in the drop zone the pressure will intensify.

Guess you haven't checked the table then?

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 11 Sep 2021 18:51

Just feel like I've "cracked" on this subject. I'm struggling to defend him. The moment he hauled Puscas off you knew the win was gone. I mean is his memory that short term?
The defending for the second goal was shocking....one black shirt running in the box and noone picking him up....literally all ball watching. No awareness at all. Similar to the third.
We were alright in midfield, decent up front.....but bloody useless at the back....again.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 11 Sep 2021 19:29

Last time we kept a clean sheet? 21st April, 9 league games ago. Before that? 6th match, 17 games ago.

2 clean sheets in our last 17 games :|

Our defensive issues have been going on for a long time, they were masked by our league position last season.

Nothing has been done to address this, that is the most worrying part.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 11 Sep 2021 19:31

Brogue Last time we kept a clean sheet? 21st April, 9 league games ago. Before that? 6th match, 17 games ago.

Our defensive issues have been going on for a long time, they were masked by our league position last season.

I’ve said this before but genuinely think if he was allowed to Pauno would persist with things the way they are all the way to league one. Nice chap or not the bloke seems incapable of change.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 11 Sep 2021 19:39

CountryRoyal
Brogue Last time we kept a clean sheet? 21st April, 9 league games ago. Before that? 6th match, 17 games ago.

I’ve said this before but genuinely think if he was allowed to Pauno would persist with things the way they are all the way to league one. Nice chap or not the bloke seems incapable of change.

It was clear from his post match interview that he is not going to go to man for man marking from set pieces. Given the ridiculous number of times we are conceding (often with balls played to player/s unmarked at the back post) it’s just plain arrogance.

Tuesday is must win imo otherwise he has to go.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 11 Sep 2021 19:50

Pauno Out!

Of the cupboard that he allegedly walked in to after "storming out" of today's post match press conference.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 11 Sep 2021 19:54

Orion1871 Pauno Out!

Of the cupboard that he allegedly walked in to after "storming out" of today's post match press conference.

He stormed out?

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 11 Sep 2021 19:58

Brogue
Orion1871 Pauno Out!

He stormed out?

According to this guy.

https://mobile.twitter.com/IanMac08/status/1436734574323720194

"Highlight of the post-match press conference at Reading: Royals boss Veljko Paunovic trying to storm out after answering a question about his side's defending, and walking straight into a cupboard."

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Sep 2021 20:00

Millsy Wow.

I was very close to Pauno Out last season when most were gushing over him finishing us 7th, and I've been anti-Pauno this season but come on this is all reactionary negativity here just because we didn't win.

That was a fantastic game, we were very good and the signings that we've seen are generally good.

Ok shite substitution, shite defending as ever but let's not be too harsh on Pauno, that was a MASSIVE improvement.

Good my arse. We were decent going forward bar a Swift masterclass and as awful as always in defence.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Sep 2021 20:01

Harpers So Solid Crew
leon I’m struggling to suppress the conclusion that he doesn’t know how to put a team together to compete in this league.

And if that’s the case then we need someone who can, otherwise we are fcuked.

Perhaps if he was choosing which players to sign it would help instead of them being foisted on him

He reportedly did all the leg work on these signings. :|

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Sep 2021 20:06

Stranded
LUX I was watching him all game ( seated near him). He seemed pissed off a lot of the time.

As I said elsewhere, he really should have subbed Ejaria at 3-1. He was knackered.

Yep this. I have no problem with the sub, most managers would make it but it should have been Ejaria off as Puscas was the outlet ball and did a bloody good job today.

The main issue today was not manager led it was Morrison and Moore falling asleep in the 90 secs after we score meaning a simple cross found an unmarked Gray. 3-2 and momentum shifts esp after Puscas' header goes just the wrong side of the post.

The defence has been a disgrace all season. Morrison and especially Yiadom and Moore have been oxf*rd up constantly. Holmes is still left sitting on the bench.

The manager owns every single oxf*rd up from those three at this point because he's doing nothing to improve them. Nothing to organise them and nothing to drop them.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 11 Sep 2021 20:09

Snowflake Royal
Millsy Wow.

I was very close to Pauno Out last season when most were gushing over him finishing us 7th, and I've been anti-Pauno this season but come on this is all reactionary negativity here just because we didn't win.

That was a fantastic game, we were very good and the signings that we've seen are generally good.

Ok shite substitution, shite defending as ever but let's not be too harsh on Pauno, that was a MASSIVE improvement.

Good my arse. We were decent going forward bar a Swift masterclass and as awful as always in defence.

We were pretty poor in the first half. At one point we were all looking at each other as the body language of the players was so poor with all of them with their heads down.
The second half was much better going forward but dear God defensively we were constantly looking stretched and looked so vulnerable

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 11 Sep 2021 20:10

Snowflake Royal
Stranded
LUX I was watching him all game ( seated near him). He seemed pissed off a lot of the time.

As I said elsewhere, he really should have subbed Ejaria at 3-1. He was knackered.

Yep this. I have no problem with the sub, most managers would make it but it should have been Ejaria off as Puscas was the outlet ball and did a bloody good job today.

The main issue today was not manager led it was Morrison and Moore falling asleep in the 90 secs after we score meaning a simple cross found an unmarked Gray. 3-2 and momentum shifts esp after Puscas' header goes just the wrong side of the post.

The defence has been a disgrace all season. Morrison and especially Yiadom and Moore have been oxf*rd up constantly. Holmes is still left sitting on the bench.

The manager owns every single oxf*rd up from those three at this point because he's doing nothing to improve them. Nothing to organise them and nothing to drop them.

Moore is unrecognisable from the player we signed five years ago. I just don’t get how he has become so poor.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Sep 2021 20:16

Zip
Snowflake Royal
Stranded

Moore is unrecognisable from the player we signed five years ago. I just don’t get how he has become so poor.

Earning PL money whilst watching his career go down the toilet with a crap champ side. Meanwhile his former team won the PL and consistently perform.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Sep 2021 20:57

Zip
Snowflake Royal
Stranded

Yeah same. He just looks a dreadful defender at this level atm. Slow, behind play, easy to beat, poor in the air. And the defence is a shambles so he isn’t organising either

I know I’m contradicting myself by taking notice of the presser but Pauno seemed fuming with the lack of organisation in defence. He must have been referring to the CBs

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 11 Sep 2021 21:03

Zip
Snowflake Royal
Millsy Wow.

We were pretty poor in the first half. At one point we were all looking at each other as the body language of the players was so poor with all of them with their heads down.
The second half was much better going forward but dear God defensively we were constantly looking stretched and looked so vulnerable

All about opinions I guess. Even before we equalised at 1-0 down I thought we were playing well and predicted we'd come back or even win.

I'd love to be proven right with my Paunoscepticism and see us screw up but I honestly thought defensive weakness aside we looked good. It was no suprise to me that we then went on to score 3 goals. We were winning balls and cutting through them like we were on fire.

Our issues are clearly defensive and mental and gamplan.

Probably the biggest positive for me is this is the first time I saw Puscas doing a really good job on his own. I don't know if he just put in good effort or if Pauno has done something different for him not expecting him just to be João. I dunno but there was something exciting about our play.

People saying we also played well against Preston are forgetting the small facts that a) we had JOAO in that game and b) Preston were utterly shite. Chalk and cheese comparison.

We had no João this game and QPR are a thoroughly decent dangerous side and yet we attacked very well and were seconds or inches away from winning. A definite improvement for me but I don't think anyone disagrees (apart from stubborn Pauno) that our defence is utter shite.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 11 Sep 2021 21:16

Millsy
Zip
Snowflake Royal Good my arse. We were decent going forward bar a Swift masterclass and as awful as always in defence.

All about opinions I guess. Even before we equalised at 1-0 down I thought we were playing well and predicted we'd come back or even win.

I'd love to be proven right with my Paunoscepticism and see us screw up but I honestly thought defensive weakness aside we looked good. It was no suprise to me that we then went on to score 3 goals. We were winning balls and cutting through them like we were on fire.

Our issues are clearly defensive and mental and gamplan.

Probably the biggest positive for me is this is the first time I saw Puscas doing a really good job on his own. I don't know if he just put in good effort or if Pauno has done something different for him not expecting him just to be João. I dunno but there was something exciting about our play.

People saying we also played well against Preston are forgetting the small facts that a) we had JOAO in that game and b) Preston were utterly shite. Chalk and cheese comparison.

We had no João this game and QPR are a thoroughly decent dangerous side and yet we attacked very well and were seconds or inches away from winning. A definite improvement for me but I don't think anyone disagrees (apart from stubborn Pauno) that our defence is utter shite.

The one definite improvement was that we involved Puscas far more by punting balls long for him to chase. We didn’t dick around with sideways and backward passes amongst the back four which was a relief.

It wasn’t pretty but he did make life uncomfortable for their centre backs. He desperately needs a goal and worked his heart out for one. Hopefully the goal will come on Tuesday night.

3542 posts