BTFG - Preston

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

BTFG - Preston

by John Madejski's Wallet » 14 Aug 2021 17:53

Nervy last 20 but good to be back

Lauren was immense and Joao and Swift look like perfect pair (hope to fukk Joao isn't out too long)
Azeez looked lively, must be ace to score in your first league home game. Though second half he was drifting everywhere and that greedy break really irked me. We need points and but for the keeper saving us twice in injury time that greed would have cost us. All in all I liked the cut of his jib and we look good going forward with him

Bristow was ok, not great (certainly defensively, kept leaving big gaps) but hopefully he grows and grows as we're gonna need these youngsters

But fukking hell that defence :o
Please Pauno for the love of God let our defenders do what they're good at (hint, making space isn't it)

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BTFG - Preston

by Hound » 14 Aug 2021 18:19

Yep reasonable summary

Out my thoughts on the other threads. Thought we were pretty good up to the last 10-15 when we feel apart (tiredness?). Rafael saved us at the end and the back 3 didn’t do their job at all in that period

Was comfortable before that. Azeez, Swift, Laurent star men. Add some depth and we’ll be good

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 14 Aug 2021 18:21

Was more than fine with Azeez having that shot on the break; sign of a young hungry striker. Agree with the rest though. Defence looked dodge. Swift & Laurent class. Brilliant save from Rafa when it mattered. Atmosphere fantastic.

Also well done RFC on the well engineered COVID super spreader event in C1871. Food only available inside at 1 massively crowded and slow moving bar. Genius not to have even 1 food place outside in the massive parking area. Someone needs firing for that.
Last edited by Jagermesiter1871 on 14 Aug 2021 19:26, edited 2 times in total.

Bigtimmeh

by Bigtimmeh » 14 Aug 2021 18:22

Yes good game good atmosphere. We scored 2 goals with 2 shots on target but felt we could have scored more. Relied on Rafael at the end who didn't let us down. Agree that break it was 3 v 2 and azeez went alone. Frustrating and I felt like he made the wrong decision a few times but I'm sure that will improve given more games. Thought the pen seemed soft. Swift is another level this season.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 14 Aug 2021 18:36

Bit shocked about how poor Preston were;they must have lost quite a few players from last season.We almost threw it away though,and should have capitalised during that period early in the 2nd half when we choked on several chances.
Moore had a few hiccups and Mac had some good and bad moments in equal measure;the rest however performed really well.After last weeks reports I was expecting the worst from Bristow,but the lad did OK .Femi should have done more with his opportunities in the 2nd half;but his mobility means he is an upgrade on Puscas.Poor old George,his touch totally deserted him when he came on,and it was all a bit embarrassing.
Don’t know what sort of physical shape we are going to be in on Tuesday;a couple of players were out on their feet.Fingers crossed.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 14 Aug 2021 18:37

Swift man of the match. Great link up with Joao for the second goal.

Defence a worry, it's OK to put your foot through it once in a while.

Should have won by more with the chances we created.

Hanging on during an injury time that would have probably been shorter if the brainiacs in Club1871 hadn't lengthened it by playing catch for a minute earlier in the half.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 14 Aug 2021 18:40

Failed my fitness test with a thigh strain so I couldn`t attend today so can`t really comment on the game but it sounds a lot like numerous games in the past, make chances, don`t put it to bed and end up hanging on, welcome 3 points but I sense we need to improve esp at the back.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 Aug 2021 18:46

Westwood52 Bit shocked about how poor Preston were;they must have lost quite a few players from last season.We almost threw it away though,and should have capitalised during that period early in the 2nd half when we choked on several chances.
Moore had a few hiccups and Mac had some good and bad moments in equal measure;the rest however performed really well.After last weeks reports I was expecting the worst from Bristow,but the lad did OK .Femi should have done more with his opportunities in the 2nd half;but his mobility means he is an upgrade on Puscas.Poor old George,his touch totally deserted him when he came on,and it was all a bit embarrassing.
Don’t know what sort of physical shape we are going to be in on Tuesday;a couple of players were out on their feet.Fingers crossed.

Should be fine for Tuesday. Still very early season and they had last midweek off

Look a bit short of match fitness more than anything. Hopefully that’ll improve over the next week or two

Barney
Hob Nob Regular

by Barney » 14 Aug 2021 18:56

Rafa takes some stick from muppets on here...he was OUTSTANDING when it mattered today.

As for c1871......I chatted to a couple of PNE fans in the hotel bar after the game. I quote "Those bastards to our right never stopped singing. What a racket". I echo these sentiments...take a bow c1871, you have your critics from those that know no better, but you were IMMENSE.

Great day. Sunshine. Three points. Roll on Tuesday. And for those that moan or complain or stay away....please continue staying away :D

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 14 Aug 2021 19:00

I thought we really deserved that win, with the first team all fit we have a pretty decent team and Swift scored a fantastic goal.

Preston look like relegation material and apart from the injury time stuff and the pen they really deserved nothing from the game.

If we can keep Swift and Joao fit we'll be ok.

Nice to be back!

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 14 Aug 2021 19:02

That should have been a much more comfortable win than it was. We almost threw that away.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 Aug 2021 19:11

Know it’s very early days but seen enough of Azeez to think he can be a good pro at this level

Definitely one to look at an extended contract if we can. The likes of East and Smith got 3 years on far less impressive performances - aware times are different of course

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 14 Aug 2021 19:25

Joao on crutches apparently.

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 14 Aug 2021 19:53

Thought Joao was really up for it today and led the line superbly. He is SO vital for us. Was fuming that Azeez did not put him in on that three-man breakaway. Fantastic combinations for Swift's goal, but we were surprisingly hanging on at the end when we should have been out of sight. Rino, Laurent, Swift and Joao brilliant. Cabral's distribution is utter bobbins.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 14 Aug 2021 20:04

4 things I took out from that.

I'd be surprised if Joao plays Tuesday or even next Saturday. Puscas will need to stand up and lead the line.

I liked the energy we showed today, I've not seen that from a Reading team for a long long time. That could help set us towards a reasonable season.

We looked ok overall. We lacked cutting edge and there was some poor decision making going forwards on a few occasions. We had enough quality to capitalise on poor Preston defensive attributes. It's early days but I think they'll be one of the teams we'll need to be beating to stay up. Even though we played well today, this season's going to be a long slog and we're banking on having injury luck on our side.

Most of the team played well at a 7/10 or above except Moore and Morrison. A note about Bristow who did a job today, he doesn't look quite ready to play week in week out but he was well protected. Possibly helped by Preston being poor and being easy to counter. Against better sides we won't get away with that.

As for Azeez, amazing he got his first goal for us. He deserved a goal on his performance. He'll learn from his missed chances. Hopefully playing alongside Swift and Ejaria will aid his development and decision making.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 14 Aug 2021 20:09

While I agree Azeez will learn I don’t want him to stop taking shots. For ages we have moaned that players don’t take responsibility and shoot, but pass it on for someone else to have a go. I’m happy for a young lad to decide that he’s in a reasonable position to have a go and does so rather than taking the easy option and giving it to someone else.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 14 Aug 2021 20:11

It was good being back especially as all season ticket holders around me had also returned. Good atmosphere and a decent game.
Overall we deserved the win and it was vital that we held on.
Swift is huge for us. He was really struggling in the final stages though with his passing going awry.
He linked up very well with Joao.
Azeez did well but Yids was furious when he went for glory instead of passing through to Joao or playing out to Yids.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 14 Aug 2021 20:13

Finally a change in formation. Good to see the front 3 interchange rather than remain static as was the case last season. Hopefully a better platform for Pusas to shine. Full backs are areas of obvious concern.

3 valuable points in what is going to be a challenging season.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 Aug 2021 20:27

Regarding Azeez and that break - yes it was the wrong choice but great to see he had that confidence to drive through the centre and have a go. Don’t think it was even the wrong choice necessarily just badly executed

If he can adjust that radar on his left foot he’ll score plenty

He actually seemed to be playing up top with Joao at times and it definitely added a dimension to the forward line

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 14 Aug 2021 21:01

Hopefully Joao is on crutches just as a precaution.