BTFG - Preston

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: BTFG - Preston

by Lower West » 15 Aug 2021 11:47

Zip Puscas is an odd one. What happened to that player that terrorised Cardiff two years ago?

Needs a run of games in a formation that plays to his strengths.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 15 Aug 2021 11:50

Screw promotion.

Screw playoffs.

I wish I was there, but honestly give me a bunch of young hungry Reading kids playing their hearts out and I’m happy wherever we are in the league.

Only listened on radio and watched highlights but that win from Bristow (I think) is just pure young hunger surely. And that cross. Big moan of mine is how we don’t put good crosses in but that was ace. And Azeez’ goal - radio made it sound like it was just a tap in. Well it was, but I didn’t realise he got to the cross, controlled it back and then then tapped it in. Great work.

Of course our stars Joao and swift, great goal which is what we expect from players of that quality. Although I’m not sure how swift did that air kick after great work by Joao.

We’ll get a bunch of losses against half decent teams and be lower half probably but to know we have our academy boys developing and playing their hearts out, that’s cool.

Let’s just hope they don’t go the way of Richards and Olise, but hopefully we’ve learned our lesson.

Azeez reminds me of Neville roach, kid who scored on his debut. Feel sorry for him that he was frozen out after that and didn’t manage much. Hopefully Azeez will get more of a chance to develop.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Aug 2021 12:15

Lower West
Zip Puscas is an odd one. What happened to that player that terrorised Cardiff two years ago?

Sometimes you have to look back and re-evaluate if what you saw in that game was really the player ability and not poor defending and fortune.

Puscas has never looked quick since. He's often looked confused about where he should be, missed his first touch and blazed high or wide.

At this point we need to accept that's the real Puscas, not some 90 minute wonder kid who vanished

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 15 Aug 2021 12:30

Snowflake Royal
Lower West

Sometimes you have to look back and re-evaluate if what you saw in that game was really the player ability and not poor defending and fortune.

Puscas has never looked quick since. He's often looked confused about where he should be, missed his first touch and blazed high or wide.

At this point we need to accept that's the real Puscas, not some 90 minute wonder kid who vanished

Well put, good food for thought.

My opinion (of course I don’t know) is he has that in him if played to his strengths. He’s scored other goals not too dissimilar to his first at Cardiff albeit closer to goal. We just won’t know if he had 90mins of luck if all we do is chuck him up front and expect him to pay like Joao.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Aug 2021 12:35

Millsy
Snowflake Royal
Lower West

My opinion (of course I don’t know) is he has that in him if played to his strengths. He’s scored other goals not too dissimilar to his first at Cardiff albeit closer to goal. We just won’t know if he had 90mins of luck if all we do is chuck him up front and expect him to pay like Joao.

Just to be clear, I don't mean he's shit or or not up to it. He's just not that player. His strengths aren't those strengths.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 15 Aug 2021 12:38

Millsy
Snowflake Royal
Lower West

It is starting to feel like Orlando Sa deja vu with Puscas. There is a quality player in there but whether it is both English football, the pace and physicality of it, as well as not playing to his strengths, are combining to make it not quite what the early promise made us dream might be possible. Then you get moments such as Wigan away, and the goal away at QPR which make you think he has the quality.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 15 Aug 2021 12:51

Jagermesiter1871 Was more than fine with Azeez having that shot on the break; sign of a young hungry striker.

Fully agree. Not long before that moment I had said to my wife that I wished Azeez would forget he was 'the youngster' and have the confidence to shoot when well placed, rather than look to pick out one of his more experienced team mates and lose the opportunity. So I could hardly criticise him for having a go when he did. Joao would've done exactly the same in that situation. Had his effort gone in - and it didn't look a million miles away - we would've been raving even more about him.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 15 Aug 2021 12:58

RoyalBlue
Jagermesiter1871 Was more than fine with Azeez having that shot on the break; sign of a young hungry striker.

Fully agree. Not long before that moment I had said to my wife that I wished Azeez would forget he was 'the youngster' and have the confidence to shoot when well placed, rather than look to pick out one of his more experienced team mates and lose the opportunity. So I could hardly criticise him for having a go when he did. Joao would've done exactly the same in that situation. Had his effort gone in - and it didn't look a million miles away - we would've been raving even more about him.

No both were well wide.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 15 Aug 2021 13:10

I haven’t lost faith in Puscas yet but at the moment he looks short on confidence and match fitness. I keep hoping that with a bit of luck and a run of games without getting injured he could get us 15 to 20 goals this season. Probably wishful thinking.

I think we should offer Moore in exchange for Erling Haaland of Dortmund. Maybe we could get some cash too :lol:

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 15 Aug 2021 13:20

Jagermesiter1871 Just seen Azeezs interview. Seems a top lad. Love him to fly this season

Would love him to sign a longer contract this week…

https://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/2020/j ... d-of-july/

Current contract runs out in July

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 15 Aug 2021 13:25

Westwood52
RoyalBlue

No both were well wide.

Still won't criticise him for having a go. Lost count of how many potentially good opportunities his team mates wasted as they kept twisting and turning in and around the area trying to create the perfect goal-scoring opportunity, rather than pulling the trigger the moment they got sight of the goal.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 15 Aug 2021 13:50

RoyalBlue
Westwood52
RoyalBlue

No both were well wide.

Still won't criticise him for having a go. Lost count of how many potentially good opportunities his team mates wasted as they kept twisting and turning in and around the area trying to create the perfect goal-scoring opportunity, rather than pulling the trigger the moment they got sight of the goal.

Meite blazes plenty wide of the goal. The fact that he does continually try, results in a decent amount of goals scored.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 15 Aug 2021 15:01

Azeez has done well, much rather have a player having a dig than fart arsing around, on another day 2 of those three efforts are on target and he`s giving the keeper problems.
Last edited by windermereROYAL on 15 Aug 2021 18:45, edited 1 time in total.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 15 Aug 2021 16:10

Mr Optimist
Millsy
Snowflake Royal Sometimes you have to look back and re-evaluate if what you saw in that game was really the player ability and not poor defending and fortune.

It is starting to feel like Orlando Sa deja vu with Puscas. There is a quality player in there but whether it is both English football, the pace and physicality of it, as well as not playing to his strengths, are combining to make it not quite what the early promise made us dream might be possible. Then you get moments such as Wigan away, and the goal away at QPR which make you think he has the quality.

Sa had a personality issue as was shown when he received the red card against Derby. Probably why he returned to obscurity. Despite having all the technical attributes.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 15 Aug 2021 20:36

Some of Puscas's goals have been wonderful finishes. He seems to not be the quickest but then you think of his predator instincts at Wigan which I thinks are his strengths. I think he needs a decent supply of ball from widemen but we just don't play like that.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 15 Aug 2021 22:16

Uke
Jagermesiter1871 Just seen Azeezs interview. Seems a top lad. Love him to fly this season

How have we managed to have every half decent players contract expire at the end of this year? If we don't sort this embargo situation out we could be well and truely oxf*rd next season.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 15 Aug 2021 22:33

.....but on the bright side

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 16 Aug 2021 08:46

Jagermesiter1871
Uke

How have we managed to have every half decent players contract expire at the end of this year? If we don't sort this embargo situation out we could be well and truely oxf*rd next season.

Azeez was orginally out of contact this summer, so we at least managed to get him to sign a deal in line with what we are able to work with now.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 16 Aug 2021 09:39

Jagermesiter1871
Uke

Because we haven't been able to extend contracts and offer decent wages. Anyone who isn't ooc this summer is basically ooc next summer. Can thank the embargo for it. But yep, losing Rino, Laurent, Swift, Azeez, Yiadom, Morrison, Holmes on frees next summer isn't a pleasant thought.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 16 Aug 2021 10:00

On the Puscas note I have always seen him as a bit of a poacher. Mopping up spilt saves etc. He is a confidence player though and he will need a couple of games to get going. Azeez is looking like he could be good player alongside him though. He will run at players and has the confidence to have a shot. Don’t get me wrong Olise is a talent but I don’t miss him as much as I thought I would wit Azeez progressing. Need to get him and Holmes signed for multiple years. Also we may we’ll see the best of Swift this year he is unlikely to resign unless we get promoted so he will spend the year showcasing what he can do. If swift stays fit we could be around the play offs.