Attendance

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Attendance

by Westwood52 » 16 Aug 2021 16:03

Brogue
Westwood52 Bloody hell;just seen the fan pictures from Saturday.I had no idea they were serving beer outside the East Stand;I was absolutely gasping.Nothing but Compass,outside the North Stand.The pictures give the impression the Ground was packed.

:| you must be on the wind up?

No seriously,my stupid mistake.I knew the Concourse outlets were shut;I walked as far as the Compass kiosk ,couldn’t see anything open round the corner as far as I could see,so assumed Compass was all that was open.I was absolutely gasping as well.Some hygiene reports on Compass aren’t encouraging either.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 16 Aug 2021 16:11

TBF to the club they took on board the 1871 club and has proved a big success. I took a friend Saturday who had not been for a couple of years and he couldn’t believe how much better the atmosphere was, and that was with a low crowd. Although this must have come as a Financial hit to the club when the likes of Villa and Leeds West Brom and Fulham would probably fill the away end. And as such lowered the average attendance over a season.

As some of the posters have already said our home form has been truly diabolical over the last few seasons with Way more losses and draws than wins. It was getting to the stage when I was turning up expecting to lose and we did very comfortably. And if we did scrap a win it was usually a real struggle a bit like Saturday a match we should’ve won comfortably yet at the end we were hanging on for dear life.

I do think as well the pandemic has made people simply get out of the habit of going. Personally I couldn’t wait for Saturday to come round and you don’t realise how much you miss something until it’s taken away from you.

I can’t really think of anyway to get the fans back, unless we have a decent season in the top half. Which I think is unlikely but I hope I’m wrong.

East Grinstead Royal

by East Grinstead Royal » 16 Aug 2021 17:31

I have renewed my ST but I wasn't there on Saturday and won't be there tomorrow. Simple fact is that I am visiting my 88 year old Mum next weekend and am not taking the chance that I'll pass Covid on to her. I am planning to be back for the QPR game.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 16 Aug 2021 19:01

NathStPaul The truth is we only have between 9k - 12k proper supporters who will turn up no matter what. We have about 6000 people who are casual supporters who will turn up when the going is good and there is a chance of promotion. The same casuals will also turn up to cup ties against the big clubs.

So pretty typical for a championship club then?

We've also had a long run of poor seasons that, with the odd fleeting flash of promise, have resulted in a pretty dismal experience at home games. We've had just three seasons since 2012 where we haven't been a poor or struggling side, and fans were only there for two of them.

Over the last nine seasons, we've lost more home games than we've won. If fact if you wipe out last season (because hardly any fans saw it in person) we've only won 52 of the 180 home games played. That's the equivalent of just 8 homes wins a season.

Basically, for several years now, watching Reading has become an experience of dull football, where the club only wins about one game in three.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 16 Aug 2021 19:18

tmesis
NathStPaul The truth is we only have between 9k - 12k proper supporters who will turn up no matter what. We have about 6000 people who are casual supporters who will turn up when the going is good and there is a chance of promotion. The same casuals will also turn up to cup ties against the big clubs.

So pretty typical for a championship club then?

We've also had a long run of poor seasons that, with the odd fleeting flash of promise, have resulted in a pretty dismal experience at home games. We've had just three seasons since 2012 where we haven't been a poor or struggling side, and fans were only there for two of them.

Over the last nine seasons, we've lost more home games than we've won. If fact if you wipe out last season (because hardly any fans saw it in person) we've only won 52 of the 180 home games played. That's the equivalent of just 8 homes wins a season.

Basically, for several years now, watching Reading has become an experience of dull football, where the club only wins about one game in three.

Agree - can't argue with that

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 16 Aug 2021 20:00

Well, you could argue with one thing. I added up wrong, and we had actually won more than lost, but not by much, and a big chunck of that was in Jaap Stam's first season. That was the only time we'd won more than 8 home games until last season. Our home form has been truly abysmal.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 16 Aug 2021 21:18

I wonder if a lot of people got IPTV sticks last year so they could watch all the games - and are now less motivated to actually go to the match?

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 17 Aug 2021 07:58

It's a fair point about travelling on the buses too. I often used the park and ride from the old Foster Wheeler building but won't be doing that for a while yet. Were the Green Park parking police out on Saturday?