MATCHWATCH : Coventry City (a)

175 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Coventry City (a)

by Sutekh » 18 Aug 2021 08:49

When : Saturday 21 August 2021, 3pm
Where : Coventry Building Society Arena, Phoenix Way, Rowleys Green, Coventry, CV6 6GE
Capacity : 32,753

The second away game of the season is a trip to the midlands to face a Coventry team now based back in Coventry. Coventry City should now remain at their ground for the next 10 years at least unless the club builds another new stadium in the meantime (plans are apparently afoot for a stadium near the University of Warwick to the south of the city).

Former Brighton & Hove Albion Swede Victor Gyökeres appears to be the main threat for Coventry so far, especially in the dying moments of halves having hit an 81st minute equaliser v Forest in Coventry’s opening day win. However it doesn’t always go his way as he missed a 93rd minute penalty at Barnsley last Saturday condemning Coventry to their first defeat of the season but then he scored in first half injury time to get the 3 points at Blackpool this week. In addition to Gyökeres‘ permanent acquisition in the summer Coventry have brought in Jake Clarke-Salter and Ian Maatsen both on loan from Chelsea to improve their defensive vulnerabilities so reckon on another difficult game.

Reading’s injuries continue with Joao, Ejaria, Meite and Araruna all goners so unless some magic is worked in the transfer market then the team will continue to fall short of options. That said the problems largely seem to be defensive, especially with serious issues at set pieces, so you can probably guess what Reading will be up to defensively in this game! Let’s hope Ribeiro can be signed in time to at least give better balance to the back 4 (and just how long does it take for the FL to approve these things?).

Odd fact. Reading hold the record for the fastest goal scored by a visiting team to the “Ricoh” arena. Grzegorz Rasiak netted after 27 seconds of a 3-1 Reading win back in 2009 (Coventry’s record at the stadium is 19.5 seconds).

Referee

David “did this fixture last year” Webb

Previously

20 Feb 2021 > Reading 0-2 Middlesbrough
30 Dec 2020 > Swansea City 0-0 Reading
30 Oct 2020 > Coventry City 3-2 Reading
26 Sep 2020 > Cardiff City 1-2 Reading
20 Oct 2018 > Reading 3-1 Millwall
29 Nov 2014 > Norwich City 1-2 Reading
24 Aug 2013 > Blackpool 1-0 Reading
01 Nov 2011 > Nottingham Forest 1-0 Reading
05 Dec 2009 > Sheffield Wednesday 0-2 Reading

Historically

25 seasons shared with Coventry since first crossing swords in the league back on Christmas Day in 1931.

The 25 league visits to play away against the Sky Blues has seen 4 wins, 9 draws and 12 defeats so not exactly brilliant so far

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and travel
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use a RoyalsTV subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Coventry City (a)

by NathStPaul » 18 Aug 2021 10:57

David Webb will spin a webb of lies and no doubt stitch us up massively. Terrible referee.

I can only see us losing this one. We are a team who are at the mercy of John Swift's fitness, how long can he realistically play 3 games in the space of a week? He probably needs a rest but we just cannot afford to give him one.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 18 Aug 2021 11:51

Tbf Swift is a professional footballer so my expectation would be he can.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 18 Aug 2021 11:53

Jagermesiter1871 Tbf Swift is a professional footballer so my expectation would be he can.

I know you aren't the brightest but if you can, please have a look at his injury record over the past few seasons and the type of injuries he has had. That might give you a clue.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 18 Aug 2021 11:54

NathStPaul
Jagermesiter1871 Tbf Swift is a professional footballer so my expectation would be he can.

I know you aren't the brightest but if you can, please have a look at his injury record over the past few seasons and the type of injuries he has had. That might give you a clue.

Weren't you banned last time for making unwarranted remarks?

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 18 Aug 2021 11:55

Jagermesiter1871
NathStPaul

Weren't you banned last time for making unwarranted remarks?

Perfectly justified if you believe John Swift can continually play.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Aug 2021 12:07

Happy with a point from this. Even though Cov are rubbish

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 18 Aug 2021 12:11

Hound Happy with a point from this. Even though Cov are rubbish

Not sure about that, Hound. I think we need to be winning this, and will.

1-2 to the Royals.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 18 Aug 2021 12:13

John Smith

1-2 to the Royals.

Got a bad feeling about this one, would take a draw if offered. Would like to see Holmes coming in for Morrison, would feel a bit more confirdent if that happens.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 18 Aug 2021 12:43

Would give the 4-4-2 diamond we briefly used last season a go as the 4-2-3-1/3-4-3 really struggles to have the same impact in the absence of Joao. Clarke looked raw yesterday but could be worth a go, looked fairly lively

Rafael

Yiadom
Morrison
Moore
Bristow

Laurent
Rinomhota
Swift
Azeez

Clarke
Puscas

Southwood Holmes McIntyre Tetek Dele-Bashiru Leavy Camara

Last chance saloon for Moore and Morrison who both desperately need a good performance. Would rather play an actual LB at LB, conceding too many goals from the gap left by McIntyre - was in no mans land yet again for Bristol’s third, simply doesn’t inspire any confidence there

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 18 Aug 2021 12:46

NathStPaul
John Smith

1-2 to the Royals.

Got a bad feeling about this one, would take a draw if offered. Would like to see Holmes coming in for Morrison, would feel a bit more confirdent if that happens.

Early days into the season of course but McShane picked up an injury fairly late into the 16/17 season and never really recovered properly from it - became a bit of a liability after that. Possibly Deja vu with Morrison?

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 18 Aug 2021 12:46

URZZZZ Would give the 4-4-2 diamond we briefly used last season a go as the 4-2-3-1/3-4-3 really struggles to have the same impact in the absence of Joao. Clarke looked raw yesterday but could be worth a go, looked fairly lively

Rafael

Yiadom
Morrison
Moore
Bristow

Laurent
Rinomhota
Swift
Azeez

Clarke
Puscas

Southwood Holmes McIntyre Tetek Dele-Bashiru Leavy Camara

Last chance saloon for Moore and Morrison who both desperately need a good performance. Would rather play an actual LB at LB, conceding too many goals from the gap left by McIntyre - was in no mans land yet again for Bristol’s third, simply doesn’t inspire any confidence there

Would possibly bring in Dele-Bashiru for this one, play him just behind Puscas. Other than that I agree with that team.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 18 Aug 2021 13:15

Maybe we should just pack out the midfield and get players back in there preferred style. Rino and laurent back shielding and let the others do there job ahead of them. As eluded by some in other threads, since the have been pushing forward we have looked worse.
Yaidom, on reflection annoys me think he could be very dangerous coming in with his energy at the latter stages of games.
No real width in the team so play narrow.

Rafael

Tmac or Holmes
Morrison
Moore

Dele-Bashiru
Laurent
Rino
Swift
Azeez
Bristow

Puscas

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 18 Aug 2021 13:23

I'd take a boring 0-0 from this.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 18 Aug 2021 14:03

Should play Moore as a sweeper - Ruud Gullit style. Don't know why that ever went out of fashion.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Aug 2021 18:03

Elm Park Kid Should play Moore as a sweeper - Ruud Gullit style. Don't know why that ever went out of fashion.

Give him a brush and get him cleaning concourses and I agree. But I think you mean a different sweeper.

Do sweepers play behind or infront of the defence? Before my time... behind and they're a recipie for playing everyone onside. Infront and they're basically just a modern DM.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 19 Aug 2021 17:23

Coppells Lost Coat Maybe we should just pack out the midfield and get players back in there preferred style. Rino and laurent back shielding and let the others do there job ahead of them. As eluded by some in other threads, since the have been pushing forward we have looked worse.
Yaidom, on reflection annoys me think he could be very dangerous coming in with his energy at the latter stages of games.
No real width in the team so play narrow.

Rafael

Tmac or Holmes
Morrison
Moore

Dele-Bashiru
Laurent
Rino
Swift
Azeez
Bristow

Puscas

I think Bristow is done for the time being as regards starting.I had hoped for a couple of solid loan signings this week;but it doesn’t look as if it is going to happen.Until that happens we are very very short of options.I did think Swift and TDB ,had the makings of a partnership as a two behind the strikers mid week.Fingers crossed.A couple of times TDB looked a class above this division,but admittedly he did tail off.These are games we need to get points off.So time to press the panic button.

Rafa
Rino Morrison Moore Yids (seen him play there )
Laurent McIntyre (or Tetek)
Swift TDB
Puscas Azeez

OR

Holmes comes in at RB (after Tuesday s fiasco he will be pissed off if he does not start) and Rino back to CM instead of McIntyre/Tetek.Let’s pray Puscas finds some form;he must have something about him surely.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Aug 2021 18:20

........................Cabral
Holmes, Morrison, McIntyre, Yiadom
...............Rinomhota, Laurent
Azeez, ...............Swift, ..................TBD
.........................Puscas

Actually,.yeah Yiadom left.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 19 Aug 2021 18:41

Westwood52 Rafa
Rino Morrison Moore Yids (seen him play there )
Laurent McIntyre (or Tetek)
Swift TDB
Puscas Azeez

This XI but with the right back at right back, the midfielder in midfield and the left-footed centre back at left back. Maybe Holmes in for Morrison, but not urgently.

Subs: Southwood, Holmes, Bristow, Tetek, Leavy, Hoilett, Clarke

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 19 Aug 2021 21:13

Royal_jimmy I'd take a boring 0-0 from this.

Would prefer a more entertaining 3-3 tbf.

175 posts