Is it the right time to sack the manager ?

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Is it the right time to sack the manager ?

by Lower West » 31 Aug 2021 21:07

Snowflake Royal
AthleticoSpizz Mmmmmm wherever did it go wrong?

Comrade

If I had to pin point a moment, it would be one of these.

On the ownership side
Madejski realising how expensive the PL was and resenting it

He never held back on his views. Certainly no resentment.

Chairman Mao
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Chairman Mao » 01 Sep 2021 09:36

until our own fans started getting on his back and accusing him of taking money out of the club

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 01 Sep 2021 12:09

Do you have faith in the ability of the club to recruit a new the manager with the necessary skills and experience required to achieve greater results under the same circumstances as the current manager? If you believe the answer is no then be very careful what you ask for when you start protesting for the manager to be sacked.

I'd rather the club put the effort and cash into a striker who can bag goals because that's what we need. Maybe sign some supplemental coaching staff to work with the manager on things like defence, with the managers blessing that is.

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 01 Sep 2021 14:08

Snowflake Royal

Comrade

On the playing side
Not meeting Sidwell's contract expectations in 2006.

Kitson's injury v Middlesbrough.

Shorey getting an England call up

On the management side
Not having the expertise / ruthlessness to sign good enough players post 2006/07, the side had done too well and Coppell had too much faith in them.

On the ownership side

The 2008 financial crash wiping out a third of Madejski's fortune as we had to deal with relegation.

But the real omnishambles seems to have been selling to Zingarevich.

With the point of no return without huge pain the buyout by the Yongge's and appointment of Gourlay.

Losing the PO final in 2011 is a big one for me.
Had we won then JM wouldn't have had to sell, or would have been more picky who he sold to.
Long would have stayed, Sig would have come back mid season or maybe that summer, and imo that team were better equipped to stay up than the 2012 team, Mills would have adapted to the PL better than Gorkss did for example (and i say that as someone who was more a fan of Gorkss than Mills).
But going by what McDermott said in the BBCRB podcast things conspired against us on the day leading up to the match.
Tbh, i have regrets as i think we'd have had more of a chance of winning that day had i not gone...

On 2008, i remember watching that documentary Rich Man Poor Man with Madejski and that really rammed home how things changed for him from mid season. Our relegation couldn't have come at a worse time.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Sep 2021 18:06

KC Royal
Snowflake Royal

Comrade

On the playing side

On the management side
Not having the expertise / ruthlessness to sign good enough players post 2006/07, the side had done too well and Coppell had too much faith in them.

On the ownership side

The 2008 financial crash wiping out a third of Madejski's fortune as we had to deal with relegation.

With the point of no return without huge pain the buyout by the Yongge's and appointment of Gourlay.

Had we won then JM wouldn't have had to sell, or would have been more picky who he sold to.
Long would have stayed, Sig would have come back mid season or maybe that summer, and imo that team were better equipped to stay up than the 2012 team, Mills would have adapted to the PL better than Gorkss did for example (and i say that as someone who was more a fan of Gorkss than Mills).
But going by what McDermott said in the BBCRB podcast things conspired against us on the day leading up to the match.
Tbh, i have regrets as i think we'd have had more of a chance of winning that day had i not gone...

On 2008, i remember watching that documentary Rich Man Poor Man with Madejski and that really rammed home how things changed for him from mid season. Our relegation couldn't have come at a worse time.

I don't think we were ever beating that Swansea side personally. I know we recovered and were a whisker from getting back in it, but only because the job was largely done at that point. I think they were just the clearly better side on the day and over the season.

But yeah, had we won, things could be really quite different. Though I doubt we'd have stayed up long term, or still have his Madjesty.

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 02 Sep 2021 09:04

Snowflake Royal
KC Royal
Snowflake Royal If I had to pin point a moment, it would be one of these.

On the playing side

On the management side

On the ownership side

I don't think we were ever beating that Swansea side personally. I know we recovered and were a whisker from getting back in it, but only because the job was largely done at that point. I think they were just the clearly better side on the day and over the season.

But yeah, had we won, things could be really quite different. Though I doubt we'd have stayed up long term, or still have his Madjesty.

Yeah, before the match i expected Swansea to win, 3-2 i think so not far off. I actually watched the highlights back again recently. Didn't appreciate just how bad Zurab was that day at the time. He was very lucky not to be sent off for that penalty (expected him to be at the time) but i honestly don't think playing with 10 men would have made any difference to us. He was absolutely shocking, not sure i've seen a worse performance from a CB.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 02 Sep 2021 09:49

Honestly don’t think that team would have done any better, would still have huge issues at full back.

If we get Gylfi on loan mid-season then maybe? But we would have even less money than we had under Anton. I think it would be another season of high-scoring games that usually don’t work out for us.

07/08 was our best chance. Imagine if we had signed John Mensah, Luke Young, James Morrison and Wilson Palacios, then added Mauro Zarate in January. Might not have got us into Europe but we only needed one extra point to stay up…

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 02 Sep 2021 19:31

Comrade

Selling to Anton. Yes it enabled us to retain Kebe and sign up Roberts and subsequently promotion, but it was the beginning of the end. The final nail was sacking Brian when relegation was inevitable.