John Swift

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: John Swift

by South Coast Royal » 14 Nov 2021 19:11

Snowflake Royal
CountryRoyal
South Coast Royal
For the sake of the team we desperately need him to stay to give us the best chance of avoiding relegation so £2 million or so loss presumably is better than relegation in the long run?
I don't think I am alone in believing that he is that important to us.

Take away swift’s direct goal contributions alone and we’d be significantly worse off than we are now. Assuming we can with no significant repercussions, 100% would not sell in January.

I'm sure Ejaria would step up. :wink:

I know that is tongue-in-cheek Ian but that is the great unknown as somebody might and would have to if we are to survive.

At the moment I don't see anybody on the books capable of doing as much as Swift has done this season and I do believe that if he hadn't played we would be close to the relegation zone even without the likely points deduction.

I would like to think that the club are already thinking about how to replace him in terms of adjustment to the current squad or , if he goes in January, presumably being allowed to bring in a youngster from one of the top clubs with Swift no longer being on the books.

I hate it when we lose top midfielders, e.g. Osborn and Sidwell, driving forces of the team and just hope that Swifty will be around until the end of the season.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 14 Nov 2021 19:33

Personally I think we're only as reliant on Swift because of the ridiculous injury list, if we can get some players back we might actually be in a position to offload him in January but otherwise we should keep him even though it would almost certainly result in him leaving for nothing at the end of the season.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 15 Nov 2021 09:05

Players stepped us last season with him out - mainly Olise - but others did as well

Would obvs be a big blow but think the likes of Halilovic and Ejaria could fill in some of the gap. But really would need at least Joao back to try to replace the Swift goals

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 15 Nov 2021 10:23

I think any team in the league losing a player of Swift quality is going to feel it. But II genuinely believe we have a squad that would step up if he left. As others said above, there are players that can step in - they just need to come back from injury :lol:

It might be a blessing in disguise as instead of having a player that roams to anywhere he feels to pick up the ball. We could have a more structured shape and a solid formation.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Nov 2021 12:31

Hoilett - Ejaria - Halilovic
Presumably.

Or
Ejaria - Hoilett - Halilovic

:?:

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 16 Nov 2021 10:24

From today's BBC Football's gossip column:

Leeds United, Wolves and Burnley are considering a move for Reading's 26-year-old former England Under-21 midfielder John Swift, who has also been a long-time target of Sheffield United. (Sheffield Star)