776 posts
Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Points Deduction Incoming!

by Zip » 04 Nov 2021 13:30

Snowflake Royal
SouthDownsRoyal
Zip

You forgot to mention he is one of a very few members of the squad who is usually fit to play.

True and he only accepted what he was offered as we all would.

Bollox. You think the club just offered him the wage without being told that's what it takes from his agent?

And for the record, no I wouldn't say yes to being offered twice the wage of colleagues doing the same job who are better than me.

Who was better than him at the time he signed the new deal?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Nov 2021 17:10

Zip
Snowflake Royal
SouthDownsRoyal

True and he only accepted what he was offered as we all would.

Bollox. You think the club just offered him the wage without being told that's what it takes from his agent?

And for the record, no I wouldn't say yes to being offered twice the wage of colleagues doing the same job who are better than me.

I can't be arsed to go back and check who played in which season.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 04 Nov 2021 17:19

Snowflake Royal
Zip
Snowflake Royal Bollox. You think the club just offered him the wage without being told that's what it takes from his agent?

That’s a disappointing response master Royal. You are usually a little Rottweiler on such matters.
He is a huge cost to the club but for the first couple of years was a very good centre back. He has seriously fallen away since then .

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Nov 2021 17:31

Zip
Snowflake Royal
Zip

That’s a disappointing response master Royal. You are usually a little Rottweiler on such matters.
He is a huge cost to the club but for the first couple of years was a very good centre back. He has seriously fallen away since then .

Give me the names and I'll tell you which ones. And I don't just mean CBs - I'm prepared to concede that at tye time it may have been 50% more than colleagues as shit.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 04 Nov 2021 17:35

Snowflake Royal
Zip
Snowflake Royal I can't be arsed to go back and check who played in which season.

Give me the names and I'll tell you which ones. And I don't just mean CBs - I'm prepared to concede that at tye time it may have been 50% more than colleagues as shit.

McShane
Ilori
O’Shea

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Nov 2021 17:53

Zip
Snowflake Royal
Zip

Give me the names and I'll tell you which ones. And I don't just mean CBs - I'm prepared to concede that at the time it may have been 50% more than colleagues as shit.

McShane
Ilori
O’Shea

Good McShane was better. Ilori was about on a par. His errors were more obvious and explosive. Everyone here oxf*rd themselves silly over how great O'Shea was as well, so I'll have him too.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 04 Nov 2021 18:05

The consensus at the time was that Moore was a significant step up when we signed him and was good value at £1m. Quicker than McShane, more experienced and less error prone than Cooper and more consistent than Ilori.

The mistake was not selling him when we had the change and offering him a vastly improved contract. Granted he has been underperforming massively for the past 2 years and not justifying the wage.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 04 Nov 2021 19:09

Snowflake Royal
Zip
Snowflake Royal Give me the names and I'll tell you which ones. And I don't just mean CBs - I'm prepared to concede that at the time it may have been 50% more than colleagues as shit.

McShane
Ilori
O’Shea

Good McShane was better. Ilori was about on a par. His errors were more obvious and explosive. Everyone here oxf*rd themselves silly over how great O'Shea was as well, so I'll have him too.

FFS Master Royal. This is Paul lunge in McShane who was utterly shot by 2018.
Ilori was nowhere near as good as he thought he was. His short passes out of defence were dreadful and his positioning hopeless. O’Shea was about 90.
Please get a grip before it’s too late. I will pray for your soul this evening.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 04 Nov 2021 19:09

From Despair To Where? The consensus at the time was that Moore was a significant step up when we signed him and was good value at £1m. Quicker than McShane, more experienced and less error prone than Cooper and more consistent than Ilori.

The mistake was not selling him when we had the change and offering him a vastly improved contract. Granted he has been underperforming massively for the past 2 years and not justifying the wage.

.....Is the correct answer.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 05 Nov 2021 00:45

Zip
Snowflake Royal
Zip
McShane
Ilori
O’Shea

Ilori was nowhere near as good as he thought he was. His short passes out of defence were dreadful and his positioning hopeless. O’Shea was about 90.

Moore has always been best playing next to a more experienced CB, both his best spells have come next to McShane (first season) and Morrison (last season). Feel he’s better when he’s not focusing on marshalling the defence as the “most experienced” one. Were a lot of plaudits for him and Miazga together as a two but I didn’t quite see that. Him and Ilori were too lightweight as a pairing too

He’s a fairly decent Champ defender but given the wages he’s on, not representing value for money. Find the notion that just because he’s on more money than he should be, he isn’t very good rather strange. Certainly better than Ilori was who ironically as a defender, couldn’t defend

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 05 Nov 2021 00:50

Zip
From Despair To Where? The consensus at the time was that Moore was a significant step up when we signed him and was good value at £1m. Quicker than McShane, more experienced and less error prone than Cooper and more consistent than Ilori.

.....Is the correct answer.

I wonder sometimes whether players actually disimprove after they've been here a few years, or, whether on repeated viewings, their shortcomings become more obvious.

I think we should have sold Moore, and I don't think he's worth his reputed wages, nor is he a particularly a good on-field captain - but I also don't think he is significantly different to the player we bought - and if he was available now for £1million, and we needed a CB, he would still be worth that.

It's interesting to see, if you look at players of the season, how frequently they are players in their first or second year - and how their reputation often falls later. In my opinion, this isn't necessarily because they've get worse, but their shiny newness wears off, the good-things they do become more part of the furniture, and the bad things they do begin to grate more.

Like a 7-year itch for a relationship - except with football it's more like 2-3 years.
As an example - I give you -
POTS - 20/21 - Josh Laurent
19/20 - Rafael
18/19 - Rinomhota (2nd Yiadom, 3rd Meite)
17/18 - Moore (2nd Mo Barrow, 3rd Liam Kelly)

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 05 Nov 2021 07:25

I am sure that I’ve seen that Derby are appealing their points deduction for going into administration. In addition, I haven’t seen any further mention of a points deduction for FFP.

Not that I really care about them but I’ll be annoyed if we end up with a 9 points deduction and they escape further punishment. In saying that, I have no idea if they’ve been worse than us iro FFP?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 05 Nov 2021 08:09

blythspartan I am sure that I’ve seen that Derby are appealing their points deduction for going into administration. In addition, I haven’t seen any further mention of a points deduction for FFP.

Not that I really care about them but I’ll be annoyed if we end up with a 9 points deduction and they escape further punishment. In saying that, I have no idea if they’ve been worse than us iro FFP?

They are appealing because they can - it shouldn't make any difference - Wigan appealed.

The second deduction will also come but not until the appeal process on the admin side has been completed.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 05 Nov 2021 08:44

Stranded
blythspartan I am sure that I’ve seen that Derby are appealing their points deduction for going into administration. In addition, I haven’t seen any further mention of a points deduction for FFP.

They are appealing because they can - it shouldn't make any difference - Wigan appealed.

The second deduction will also come but not until the appeal process on the admin side has been completed.

This concerns me. Surely the second deduction would need to be applied to this season. What happens if the appeals process drags on past the end of the season?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 05 Nov 2021 08:58

Zip
Stranded

This concerns me. Surely the second deduction would need to be applied to this season. What happens if the appeals process drags on past the end of the season?

I'm pretty sure it won't do at this stage, I'm sure Derby (and any new owner) will want that done this season as they are still very likely to get relegated with the -12 (not won since they beat us) and they won't want to start in L1 with another -9 or so.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 05 Nov 2021 09:08

It's odd that we'd agree to 9 points; presumably we lose the right to appeal if we do? Didn't Sheffield Wednesday fight theirs and end up with only 6? Plus if Derby are appealing and dragging everything out, what if a ruling goes in their favour but we can't jump on the bandwagon and benefit from the ruling as we've already accepted ours?

We should be telling them 6 points or be prepared to go about this the hard way.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Nov 2021 09:13

URZZZZ
Zip
Snowflake Royal Good McShane was better. Ilori was about on a par. His errors were more obvious and explosive. Everyone here oxf*rd themselves silly over how great O'Shea was as well, so I'll have him too.

Moore has always been best playing next to a more experienced CB, both his best spells have come next to McShane (first season) and Morrison (last season). Feel he’s better when he’s not focusing on marshalling the defence as the “most experienced” one. Were a lot of plaudits for him and Miazga together as a two but I didn’t quite see that. Him and Ilori were too lightweight as a pairing too

He’s a fairly decent Champ defender but given the wages he’s on, not representing value for money. Find the notion that just because he’s on more money than he should be, he isn’t very good rather strange. Certainly better than Ilori was who ironically as a defender, couldn’t defend

Yeah that really. He is a reasonable champ defender, no more. Take the wages out and I think we'd all be a bit meh on him - fine if he plays, fine if not.

Obviously in our current situation its quite hard to divorce the wages from the overall performances though and he represents terrible VFM, esp as we could have pulled in about 10m for him. But that's done now, can't change it and we all know it

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 05 Nov 2021 09:27

Hound
URZZZZ
Zip

Yeah that really. He is a reasonable champ defender, no more. Take the wages out and I think we'd all be a bit meh on him - fine if he plays, fine if not.

Obviously in our current situation its quite hard to divorce the wages from the overall performances though and he represents terrible VFM, esp as we could have pulled in about 10m for him. But that's done now, can't change it and we all know it

Agreed and thats the problem in a nutshell. At one point, he looked to be performing at PL squad player levels, hence why Brighton were sniffing around but since we tied him down to allegedly a PL wage contract, he definitely seems to have accepted that that chance has gone and is "coasting" through his career knowing he won't ever get a pay day like this again - and not sure I blame him too much.

But he has definitely regressed from player who could do a job in the PL, to one that a side looking at the play-offs may take a punt on at the right price/free. Kind of linked to what someone went above but I do wonder if players get stale staying at the same club too long - it'll be 6 years come the summer for Moore here without major success - 1 PL final, 1 7th rest relegation. One of the main drivers why Swift will definitely go for my money, he's been here 6 years too, that's probably more than long enough to stay at a club unless it is successful regularly.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Nov 2021 09:32

Stranded
Hound
URZZZZ

Agreed and thats the problem in a nutshell. At one point, he looked to be performing at PL squad player levels, hence why Brighton were sniffing around but since we tied him down to allegedly a PL wage contract, he definitely seems to have accepted that that chance has gone and is "coasting" through his career knowing he won't ever get a pay day like this again - and not sure I blame him too much.

But he has definitely regressed from player who could do a job in the PL, to one that a side looking at the play-offs may take a punt on at the right price/free. Kind of linked to what someone went above but I do wonder if players get stale staying at the same club too long - it'll be 6 years come the summer for Moore here without major success - 1 PL final, 1 7th rest relegation. One of the main drivers why Swift will definitely go for my money, he's been here 6 years too, that's probably more than long enough to stay at a club unless it is successful regularly.

to be fair to Swift he seems to be really focussed this year. I think prob being out injured a fair bit means he hasn't gone stale in quite the same way

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 05 Nov 2021 09:42

Hound
Stranded
Hound

to be fair to Swift he seems to be really focussed this year. I think prob being out injured a fair bit means he hasn't gone stale in quite the same way

Oh yeah, do not take that as a dig at Swift and agree the staleness will be less of an issue but after 6 years regardless, I don't expect him to sign a new deal esp. as he will have offers. I certainly wouldn't sign one in his shoes and not sure too much effort should be wasted in trying to persuade him to do so.

776 posts