Points Deduction Incoming!

776 posts
linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Points Deduction Incoming!

by linkenholtroyal » 29 Sep 2021 15:38

I am assuming that if we do by some fluke get promoted even with the points deduction the EFL can just do one they have no effect on what we do going forward until we come back down.

Esteban

by Esteban » 29 Sep 2021 16:04

WestYorksRoyal I'd expect that whatever is agreed, retaining Swift, or even giving him a new contract so that we can extract a fee, is out of reach given his current wage package and the level he's currently playing at.

But you look at somebody like Halilovic, who has an abundance of talent but who's career has stalled. If we offered him a longer term deal on slightly improved wages, you could see us generating a good fee for him in a couple of years. The likes of Laurent and Ejaria too.

Depends on Swift and the EFL, I reckon. If Swift were feeling generous, he could agree a new contract on his current weekly wage until the summer, whereupon it drops to the maximum we are currently permitted (think £8.5k has been suggested). But in exchange, we would write in a fairly low buy out clause - something that ensures he gets a move in the summer, but we get a fee.

Would require Swift to effectively wave goodbye to a significant signing on fee though, you would think.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 29 Sep 2021 18:38

Snowflake Royal
Pepe the Horseman Has a team ever been promoted after getting a points deduction?

Be pretty much required to be via POs. I can't think of an example either.

Mind you, wouldn't the 106ers have still been promoted even with biggest penalty issued ??? About 22 points to Luton wasn’t it... that would still put us on 84, 3 points clear of Watford. :lol:

See the post 5 above yours:

Dirk Gently Also, never forget that in 2006 we could have had a 15 point deduction and still been Champions, or a 25 point deduction and still been promoted.

But not sure where Luton come into it - Sheff Utd went up automatically with us.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 29 Sep 2021 19:09

Esteban
WestYorksRoyal I'd expect that whatever is agreed, retaining Swift, or even giving him a new contract so that we can extract a fee, is out of reach given his current wage package and the level he's currently playing at.

But you look at somebody like Halilovic, who has an abundance of talent but who's career has stalled. If we offered him a longer term deal on slightly improved wages, you could see us generating a good fee for him in a couple of years. The likes of Laurent and Ejaria too.

Depends on Swift and the EFL, I reckon. If Swift were feeling generous, he could agree a new contract on his current weekly wage until the summer, whereupon it drops to the maximum we are currently permitted (think £8.5k has been suggested). But in exchange, we would write in a fairly low buy out clause - something that ensures he gets a move in the summer, but we get a fee.

Would require Swift to effectively wave goodbye to a significant signing on fee though, you would think.

Once we agree a new business plan with the EFL and accept the points deduction, I imagine we'll be free to spend what we've allocated for wages as we se fit. Whether we'll have the scope to offer Swift an extension is unclear, if argue that whilst he's fit he won't have much incentive to accept one. As you point out, why would he do anything to lower the amount clubs will offer him next summer?

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 29 Sep 2021 19:24

Dirk Gently
Snowflake Royal
Pepe the Horseman Has a team ever been promoted after getting a points deduction?

Be pretty much required to be via POs. I can't think of an example either.

Mind you, wouldn't the 106ers have still been promoted even with biggest penalty issued ??? About 22 points to Luton wasn’t it... that would still put us on 84, 3 points clear of Watford. :lol:

Dirk Gently Also, never forget that in 2006 we could have had a 15 point deduction and still been Champions, or a 25 point deduction and still been promoted.

But not sure where Luton come into it - Sheff Utd went up automatically with us.

I think the confusion is because Luton were in third when we were in second, but I think ended up missing out on the playoffs - dreadful second half of the season.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 29 Sep 2021 22:05

SCIAG
Dirk Gently
Snowflake Royal Be pretty much required to be via POs. I can't think of an example either.

I think the confusion is because Luton were in third when we were in second, but I think ended up missing out on the playoffs - dreadful second half of the season.

Luton had the biggest points deduction. Nothing to do with the 106 season.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Sep 2021 07:51

Pepe the Horseman
SCIAG
Dirk Gently

Luton had the biggest points deduction. Nothing to do with the 106 season.

This

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 01 Oct 2021 10:59

I may be wrong (probably will be!) but I suspect the EFL are waiting for the International Break to announce whatever sanction is being imposed on us.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 01 Oct 2021 19:36

Quite honestly unless a side goes into administration during the season then points deductions should happen during the close season, it affects the integrity of the league otherwise. If points are taken off at the start its a far more effective punishment.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 04 Oct 2021 09:32

Mid Sussex Royal Quite honestly unless a side goes into administration during the season then points deductions should happen during the close season, it affects the integrity of the league otherwise. If points are taken off at the start its a far more effective punishment.

I don't think it is though? Say we got -9 today, at least we would then know exactly what we had to do to overturn it.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 04 Oct 2021 09:35

Hendo
Mid Sussex Royal Quite honestly unless a side goes into administration during the season then points deductions should happen during the close season, it affects the integrity of the league otherwise. If points are taken off at the start its a far more effective punishment.

I don't think it is though? Say we got -9 today, at least we would then know exactly what we had to do to overturn it.

I would argue that giving teams a minus points start would further increase the risk of them doing something dodgy financially in order to fund player purchases. The club would be desperate to stay up and do whatever it took to do so.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 04 Oct 2021 09:37

I only hope the points deduction is applied late. Rather they play with intensity etc that they are in hope of pushing for play offs when in reality, a few games ago it was all about survival. Get the points on the board knowing we are a decent team worthy of a top 10, not a team scrapping around the bottom.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 04 Oct 2021 10:39

NathStPaul
Hendo

I would argue that giving teams a minus points start would further increase the risk of them doing something dodgy financially in order to fund player purchases. The club would be desperate to stay up and do whatever it took to do so.

Only they couldn't do that if the EFL refused to sanction signings?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Oct 2021 11:06

People are already complaining about how long its taking for the penalty to fall. I don’t think having a points deduction hanging over a club's head for almost an entire season would be very healthy.

Seeing as you can't retrospectively apply a penalty to the season(s) an offence occurs and you'll never find it in the same season thanks to accounts for that season being published about a year after it has finished, I think applying it as soon as the investigation and penalty hearing is completed is right.... with the good exception they already have if its close to the end of of season and you're already relegated. Thought that's more for strategic administration.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Oct 2021 11:44

assume they are still negotiating the punishment. If that journo hadn't tweeted, no one would be any the wiser.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 04 Oct 2021 11:45

Hound assume they are still negotiating the punishment. If that journo hadn't tweeted, no one would be any the wiser.

Yeah, so true, and club have given no indication.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 04 Oct 2021 11:57

The whole thing about the rumoured 6-9pts is it would be on par or worse than the punishment Sheff Wed received and the argument right there would be, have we broken the rules worse than they did?

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 04 Oct 2021 12:20

paultheroyal
Hound assume they are still negotiating the punishment. If that journo hadn't tweeted, no one would be any the wiser.

Yeah, so true, and club have given no indication.

Quite frankly I think it's ludicrous that 'negotiations' can go on for this long, if that is what is happening.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 04 Oct 2021 12:54

tidus_mi2 The whole thing about the rumoured 6-9pts is it would be on par or worse than the punishment Sheff Wed received and the argument right there would be, have we broken the rules worse than they did?

It's a bit of a different situation in that Weds refused to negotiate a penalty with the EFL as they were determined that they had done no wrong. As a result, they initially got 12pts that was lowered to 6 on appeal. We know we are pretty much bang to rights and allegedly pleaded guilty so have some wiggle room to get a lower penalty applied.

We could of course challenge and go to the independent panel but then we run the risk of getting up to 12 points and that being applied very late in the season.

If this is happening (and makes sense that it is), it may be that the club are taking it slow so that points are applied when it doesn't "hurt" as much. Keep this run going and we could soon be in the play-offs and open up a little gap, so that 6 points (or even 9) offers only minor damage but keeps the EFL onside as we've worked with them to get to an agreement.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 04 Oct 2021 12:54

tidus_mi2 The whole thing about the rumoured 6-9pts is it would be on par or worse than the punishment Sheff Wed received and the argument right there would be, have we broken the rules worse than they did?

Depends whether you think Sheffield Wed tried to cheat the system by backdating the sale of their ground or not.
Certainly the Derby situation is very murky and they have been uncooperative and charged with multiple additional infringements.
If, as it seems, we have been open, cooperative and shown a significant willingness to get back within the limits I think we’ll be given a lesser punishment than Derby and as several people have suggested a 6 point +3 suspended or even a little more weighted towards the suspended end would seem likely. The mere fact that there are ongoing negotiations seems to make it highly unlikely we’ll just get hit with the maximum 9

776 posts