MATCHWATCH : Bournemouth (h)

358 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Bournemouth (h)

by Hound » 29 Oct 2021 08:44

Snowflake Royal The cycle will break. It always does.

Norwich are getting less competitive. Someone in the PL with a terrible mess will fall apart and not recover. Someone yo-yoing will stick it for a good few years whilst someone else will stumble on the promotion and then slide into trouble.

These sort of short term trends of yo-yoing have always happened.

Don't think Norwich are getting less competitive as such. They spent a ton of money in the summer and will prob be top 3 or 4 if they go down again as looks likely, and have a much bigger squad this time round.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 29 Oct 2021 10:57

Norwich are getting less competitive. Someone in the PL with a terrible mess will fall apart and not recover. Someone yo-yoing will stick it for a good few years whilst someone else will stumble on the promotion and then slide into trouble.

You are dead right there Ian.
Historically teams like West Ham, West Brom, the 2 Sheffields were yo-yo clubs and then they would get a longer stay and kick on at least for a while just like West Ham have done and to some extent Palace and Brighton.

Clubs like Forest ,Bristol City,Middlesboro and hopefully us will one day get the right squad and the right manager again and possibly return to the promised land.

As for Bournemouth I think that this season their squad depth and buying capacity in January will see them promoted-at the moment seasoned performers like Chris Mepham, Steve Cook, Adam Smith ,Lewis Cook ,Jamal Lowe, Ben Pearson, Robbie Brady and Junior Stanislas are, for varying reasons not in the starting eleven.

As for tomorrow, this is the nearest to a local derby for Bournemouth with Brighton, Pompey and Saints playing in different divisions and is a game that their fans are very keen on winning.
I think there are bound to be goals and I just hope that we can keep up with them.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Oct 2021 12:01

South Coast Royal

Historically teams like West Ham, West Brom, the 2 Sheffields were yo-yo clubs and then they would get a longer stay and kick on at least for a while just like West Ham have done and to some extent Palace and Brighton.

Clubs like Forest ,Bristol City,Middlesboro and hopefully us will one day get the right squad and the right manager again and possibly return to the promised land.

haven't got time to look at the longer term stats but in the last 6 years, 12 of the last 18 promoted clubs were relegated in the previous 3 years (so covered by parachutes). Certainly looks odds on that 2 of the 3 places at least will go to WBA, Fulham or Bournemouth this season (of course plenty of time for a collapse yet). So basically 2 out of every 3 clubs promoted each year have been relegated in the previous few years.

Maybe thats no different to the historical average but its a bit dull. I think its being amplified by the ridiculous Norwich/Fulham swap over each season, where they boss the champ only to be pathetic in the Prem

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Oct 2021 12:09

Hound

Don't think Norwich are getting less competitive as such. They spent a ton of money in the summer and will prob be top 3 or 4 if they go down again as looks likely, and have a much bigger squad this time round.

I meant in the prem. Aren’t the 0% and only 2 goals?

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 29 Oct 2021 13:41

windermereROYAL
Ascotexgunner Bournmouth really have thrown the kitchen sink at going up this season. Think this is their last season for EPL money.
Just so hope they run out of steam because next season FFP is gonna kill em.
The top of this league is so bloody predictable. I have WBA and Fulham to go back up so Bournmouth will choke in the playoffs hopefully.

As far as Saturday goes, I think Halalovic is really badly missed, more than I thought he would be.

Pisses me of more than you can imagine, when will it ever end?, you have a team like Norwich going up and down like a whores knickers, Delia must be lauhing her tits off £40 million in parachute money every other season.
Something really needs to be done about these yoyo clubs, you have teams like us and other clubs investing heavily but having our hands tied by FFP rules living off scraps.

What makes it even worse is that it appears to be their business model. They don't seem upset their bottom of the league and being stuffed every game because they are confident with they will be back to being promoted next season. It's crazy.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 29 Oct 2021 13:55

Hound
South Coast Royal

Maybe thats no different to the historical average but its a bit dull. I think its being amplified by the ridiculous Norwich/Fulham swap over each season, where they boss the champ only to be pathetic in the Prem

Encapsulated by Mitrovic and Pukki. Score goals for fun in the championship, yet can’t seem to score in the Prem. Solanke may be on that pathway too

Find the comments of “too early to get promoted” the few times we’ve been up there rather odd for that reason. Simply isn’t the opportunity there once was. Used to be the most unpredictable league in the world, now seems to be following a similar ish pattern to the Prem

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 29 Oct 2021 13:58

Ascotexgunner
windermereROYAL
Ascotexgunner Bournmouth really have thrown the kitchen sink at going up this season. Think this is their last season for EPL money.
Just so hope they run out of steam because next season FFP is gonna kill em.
The top of this league is so bloody predictable. I have WBA and Fulham to go back up so Bournmouth will choke in the playoffs hopefully.

As far as Saturday goes, I think Halalovic is really badly missed, more than I thought he would be.

Pisses me of more than you can imagine, when will it ever end?, you have a team like Norwich going up and down like a whores knickers, Delia must be lauhing her tits off £40 million in parachute money every other season.
Something really needs to be done about these yoyo clubs, you have teams like us and other clubs investing heavily but having our hands tied by FFP rules living off scraps.

What makes it even worse is that it appears to be their business model. They don't seem upset their bottom of the league and being stuffed every game because they are confident with they will be back to being promoted next season. It's crazy.

I don't know, the fans are getting a little restless by the club giving the appearance that they aren't even competing and they are getting a lot of press for being so bad so far - been many an article this week about how they look like being the worst side in PL history. The only plus point they have is the clubs above them have been pretty poor to, so although they only have 2 points, they are only 5 off Leeds who they play tomorrow.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Oct 2021 14:40

Stranded
Ascotexgunner
windermereROYAL

I don't know, the fans are getting a little restless by the club giving the appearance that they aren't even competing and they are getting a lot of press for being so bad so far - been many an article this week about how they look like being the worst side in PL history. The only plus point they have is the clubs above them have been pretty poor to, so although they only have 2 points, they are only 5 off Leeds who they play tomorrow.

Been some interesting articles about it this week actually on the back of that thrashing by Chelsea

It does seem that norwich have at least invested a fair bit of the money - wiped out their debts (they were actually in a bit of trouble the year they went up if I remember), built a new training ground etc. And have got a deeper squad this time - they look on paper better than last time they went down

Fulham just seem to spunk the money on player fees and wages each time so they annoy me more tbh

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 29 Oct 2021 14:46

Hound
Stranded
Ascotexgunner

Been some interesting articles about it this week actually on the back of that thrashing by Chelsea

It does seem that norwich have at least invested a fair bit of the money - wiped out their debts (they were actually in a bit of trouble the year they went up if I remember), built a new training ground etc. And have got a deeper squad this time - they look on paper better than last time they went down

Fulham just seem to spunk the money on player fees and wages each time so they annoy me more tbh

The problem is if they do go down with record lows or just bob along at the bottom never looking like getting out of it but say get 20 or so points, that could be a pretty hard tailspin to turn around. Though to be fair, last time up they just got 21 pts and lost 27/38 games and still waltzed up last year but at some point the cycle will stop and it is more likely to be broken on a down slope than an up.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 29 Oct 2021 16:41

Much discussion about Newcastle and money now at their disposal. Money doesn't buy you instant success in the premiership it seems. A spend of £400m may now only improve your league position by 2-3 places in a season. As the gulf between clubs widens.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Oct 2021 20:47

Lower West Much discussion about Newcastle and money now at their disposal. Money doesn't buy you instant success in the premiership it seems. A spend of £400m may now only improve your league position by 2-3 places in a season. As the gulf between clubs widens.

And yet West Ham, Brighton, Everton, Leicester.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 29 Oct 2021 22:24

Snowflake Royal
Lower West Much discussion about Newcastle and money now at their disposal. Money doesn't buy you instant success in the premiership it seems. A spend of £400m may now only improve your league position by 2-3 places in a season. As the gulf between clubs widens.

And yet West Ham, Brighton, Everton, Leicester.

Struggling to make a sustainable and consistent impact at the top end of the table though . Newcastle are well off competing with these 3 clubs as matters stand.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 30 Oct 2021 09:21

Wonder if Stacey will play for them, if he does what’s the likelihood of him having a belter of a game?

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 30 Oct 2021 10:01

Sutekh Wonder if Stacey will play for them, if he does what’s the likelihood of him having a belter of a game?

High. Bournemouth fans are saying how well he is playing. Another one that got away.

Delboy

by Delboy » 30 Oct 2021 10:45

Bournemouth only conceded one away goal all season . Our only hope is a 1-0 win !!!

Once upon a time .

by Once upon a time . » 30 Oct 2021 11:47

I would not be at all surprised to find that when the team is announced , ———— we have new injuries !

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 30 Oct 2021 12:05

Zip
Sutekh Wonder if Stacey will play for them, if he does what’s the likelihood of him having a belter of a game?

High. Bournemouth fans are saying how well he is playing. Another one that got away.

I do think that Ejaria could have some success against him.

In fact I feel that Bournemouth have defensive weaknesses in both the full back positions as the left-back is more of an attacker than defender (aren't all left-backs these days?) but we will probably not have anybody wide right apart from Yiadom having to do almost everything out there.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 30 Oct 2021 12:38

I was so disappointed he left I saw him a few times play including our run to the semifinals of the FA youth cup he stood out as a real talent. It seems our academy produces players to benefit other clubs.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Oct 2021 13:06

South Coast Royal
Zip

I do think that Ejaria could have some success against him.

In fact I feel that Bournemouth have defensive weaknesses in both the full back positions as the left-back is more of an attacker than defender (aren't all left-backs these days?) but we will probably not have anybody wide right apart from Yiadom having to do almost everything out there.

Iirc he's looked good against us in the past.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 30 Oct 2021 17:57

I hope we bury Bournemouth. I can't stand them, they are :idea: probably my most hated club apart from Oxford United.

Need to play really well tonight to end their unbeaten start. We're pretty good at home apart from the Blackpool game and tend to raise our game vs the better sides. Hopefully we can tonight but it'll be tough. The midfield simply have to be better than they've been in the past few games.

358 posts