by Snowflake Royal » 02 Nov 2021 08:11

Never know, that might help. :wink:

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: MATCHWATCH : Millwall (a)

by Stranded » 02 Nov 2021 09:15

Snowflake Royal Never know, that might help. :wink:

Let's see if we make a sub first that isn't Puscas off, x on.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Nov 2021 09:37

Stranded

He'll still be watching the game and picking the team etc won't he? Just won't be on the sideline

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 02 Nov 2021 09:43

Hound
Stranded

He'll still be watching the game and picking the team etc won't he? Just won't be on the sideline

He is double vaccinated and I would think a naturally healthy guy so I'd assume he is more than capable of managing the team from home. Will be interesting to see if there is someone sat on the bench with a laptop or phone constantly in communication with Paunovic.

Once upon a time .

by Once upon a time . » 02 Nov 2021 10:10

I read pages of supporters comments after the Bournemouth game , 99% saying what rubbish we were , because we had lost 2-0 to the runaway league leaders , after having the better of the first half hour and if we had taken our chances could well have got something from the game . I think that going forward we are better than last season , much better movement , moving the ball quicker , more invention . We would be even better with Halilovic and Junior H , available . But the big miss of course is Joao and Meite .
What is hard to understand are the supporters who are calling for some of the fit experienced players to be dropped in favour of youngsters who if all players were fit wouldn’t get a place on the bench . Also the outcry to play Holmes in any position from RB to striker . All he showed me last season was that he can be a very temporary RB , the comments from supporters at the time was to get Yiadom back . I believe he only played a few games at CB , but again didn’t look the answer to the problem there . Admittedly he is now a year older and may have gained more confidence which he appeared to lack .

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 02 Nov 2021 12:07

Once upon a time . I read pages of supporters comments after the Bournemouth game , 99% saying what rubbish we were , because we had lost 2-0 to the runaway league leaders , after having the better of the first half hour and if we had taken our chances could well have got something from the game . I think that going forward we are better than last season , much better movement , moving the ball quicker , more invention . We would be even better with Halilovic and Junior H , available . But the big miss of course is Joao and Meite .
What is hard to understand are the supporters who are calling for some of the fit experienced players to be dropped in favour of youngsters who if all players were fit wouldn’t get a place on the bench . Also the outcry to play Holmes in any position from RB to striker . All he showed me last season was that he can be a very temporary RB , the comments from supporters at the time was to get Yiadom back . I believe he only played a few games at CB , but again didn’t look the answer to the problem there . Admittedly he is now a year older and may have gained more confidence which he appeared to lack .

Good to have you here mate. Can I ask how old you are as you mentioned in the other thread you've been watching us 50 years. Great to have input from the more experienced fans here. If I'm ever a bit short with anyone of that ilk, apologies in advance I'd never do it real life, sometimes I just assume everyone is my age.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Nov 2021 13:16

Once upon a time . I read pages of supporters comments after the Bournemouth game , 99% saying what rubbish we were , because we had lost 2-0 to the runaway league leaders , after having the better of the first half hour and if we had taken our chances could well have got something from the game . I think that going forward we are better than last season , much better movement , moving the ball quicker , more invention . We would be even better with Halilovic and Junior H , available . But the big miss of course is Joao and Meite .

Stopped reading after the first couple of sentences because people were actually complaining about performance, game management and form, not being beaten by Bournemouth.

Barney
Hob Nob Regular

by Barney » 02 Nov 2021 13:20

Surprised not been mentioned. but Pauno will not be at either Millwall or Brum games...due to testing positive for covid.

So any sub decisions will now be made by assistant manager Mitrovic.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 02 Nov 2021 13:22

Barney Surprised not been mentioned. but Pauno will not be at either Millwall or Brum games...due to testing positive for covid.

What gives you that impression? You are aware Paunovic can watch the game live on a TV screen and communicate with his coaching staff? Covid doesn't prevent someone from watching a football match.....

Barney
Hob Nob Regular

by Barney » 02 Nov 2021 13:48

NathStPaul
Barney Surprised not been mentioned. but Pauno will not be at either Millwall or Brum games...due to testing positive for covid.

What gives you that impression? You are aware Paunovic can watch the game live on a TV screen and communicate with his coaching staff? Covid doesn't prevent someone from watching a football match.....

Well I would like to think that the job of assistant manager does come with some level of decision making in these circumstances. In addition, there is NO WAY that one can see everything going on in a footy match from just a TV screen.
Obviously, Pauno is likely to keep in touch with the coaching staff.....but still, surely a sub decision could/should be made by the management team actually at the game !

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 02 Nov 2021 13:55

I think it has been mentioned on 3 different threads.

Barney
Hob Nob Regular

by Barney » 02 Nov 2021 13:57

Hendo

I think it has been mentioned on 3 different threads.

Cool. Just trying to help.

Once upon a time .

by Once upon a time . » 02 Nov 2021 14:58

Hi Millsy —- Thanks for your comment and interest . The first RFC game I watched would have been the 1949/50 season , and the line-up would have been something like . Marks , Moyse , Wicks , Lewis , Brice , Johnston , Simpson , Edelston , Blackman , Henley , Bainbridge . The manager I believe was Jack Smith .
We had a reserve team in those days and I would watch them as well . When I was ten , I worked at the ground on match days in the cafes from 10.00am to 6.00 pm. For 5 shillings . I think that is 25 p . But I saw the match free .

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Nov 2021 15:28

Once upon a time . Hi Millsy —- Thanks for your comment and interest . The first RFC game I watched would have been the 1949/50 season , and the line-up would have been something like . Marks , Moyse , Wicks , Lewis , Brice , Johnston , Simpson , Edelston , Blackman , Henley , Bainbridge . The manager I believe was Jack Smith .
We had a reserve team in those days and I would watch them as well . When I was ten , I worked at the ground on match days in the cafes from 10.00am to 6.00 pm. For 5 shillings . I think that is 25 p . But I saw the match free .

good work, 70 years ago. Impressive

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 02 Nov 2021 15:52

Snowflake Royal
Wycombe Royal Two up front for me. I know we don't have many options, but Puscas and Clarke should both start.

We need a different set up and two up front would take Millwall by suprise.

What would you do in midfield to accommodate it?

I'm with Wycombe Royal here, we are so predictable its beyond a joke!! We don't have the players at this time to play this formation to its strenghts.
Its 5-3-2 for me, three at the back with Holmes making up the three. Drop Ejaria or Drinkwater and put TDB back into his natural CM position, and finally give Puscas the partner he has been crying out for (Clarke).

i would probably play Swift and TDB as CM's and push Ejaria forward a bit to sit centrally just behind the two forwards. Ejaria just doesn't cut it for me our on the left, however, sitting behind the two forwards where he has license to roam should cause some headaches for the Millwall backline and they really wouldn't be expecting this.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Nov 2021 15:58

Crowbar6753
Snowflake Royal
Wycombe Royal Two up front for me. I know we don't have many options, but Puscas and Clarke should both start.

We need a different set up and two up front would take Millwall by suprise.

What would you do in midfield to accommodate it?

I'm with Wycombe Royal here, we are so predictable its beyond a joke!! We don't have the players at this time to play this formation to its strenghts.
Its 5-3-2 for me, three at the back with Holmes making up the three. Drop Ejaria or Drinkwater and put TDB back into his natural CM position, and finally give Puscas the partner he has been crying out for (Clarke).

i would probably play Swift and TDB as CM's and push Ejaria forward a bit to sit centrally just behind the two forwards. Ejaria just doesn't cut it for me our on the left, however, sitting behind the two forwards where he has license to roam should cause some headaches for the Millwall backline and they really wouldn't be expecting this.

You'd drop Drinkwater and Laurent for Clarke and Holmes? Brave move...

Think as mentioned before I'd be strongly tempted to move Laurent back to CB. Holmes to RB and Yiadom further forward maybe, dropping Drinkwater. Would change the shape a little, add some height.

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 02 Nov 2021 16:38

Hound
Crowbar6753
Snowflake Royal What would you do in midfield to accommodate it?

Think as mentioned before I'd be strongly tempted to move Laurent back to CB. Holmes to RB and Yiadom further forward maybe, dropping Drinkwater. Would change the shape a little, add some height.

Hi Hound, i guess its a bold move, but if you look back over the last 3/4 games the majority of us keep bringing up the same names as under performers!! Ejaria, Laurent and Drinkwater.
TDB is much better suited in the middle and i think a much better player than Laurent. Swift can sit and control the game, much like Drinkwater, and as mentioned, i really think Ejaria would thrive as a central attacking midfielder.

It also sends a message to the dropped players that they need to be on their game or they'll get replaced., and changing to this system would allow us to send that message. Brave, yes, but you never know, it might just work!!

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 02 Nov 2021 16:48

Hound
Once upon a time . Hi Millsy —- Thanks for your comment and interest . The first RFC game I watched would have been the 1949/50 season , and the line-up would have been something like . Marks , Moyse , Wicks , Lewis , Brice , Johnston , Simpson , Edelston , Blackman , Henley , Bainbridge . The manager I believe was Jack Smith .

good work, 70 years ago. Impressive

Wow.

Thanks "Once upon a time", that's quite some time ago!

Haven't heard of those players. 25p for a day's work seems a little rubbish, but I'm guessing you could probably buy a house in those days for that much :P

As I say always a pleasure to have people like you on the forum.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Nov 2021 16:55

Crowbar6753
Hound
Crowbar6753

Hi Hound, i guess its a bold move, but if you look back over the last 3/4 games the majority of us keep bringing up the same names as under performers!! Ejaria, Laurent and Drinkwater.
TDB is much better suited in the middle and i think a much better player than Laurent. Swift can sit and control the game, much like Drinkwater, and as mentioned, i really think Ejaria would thrive as a central attacking midfielder.

It also sends a message to the dropped players that they need to be on their game or they'll get replaced., and changing to this system would allow us to send that message. Brave, yes, but you never know, it might just work!!

Wouldn't discount it - I just dont think Clarke will be up to this one, certainly not starting.

With you that Ejaria, DD and Laurent are prob the ones who I'd like to drop. Though Laurent was impressive at CB hence why I'd consider moving him back there

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 02 Nov 2021 17:21

Hound
Crowbar6753
Hound

Wouldn't discount it - I just dont think Clarke will be up to this one, certainly not starting.

With you that Ejaria, DD and Laurent are prob the ones who I'd like to drop. Though Laurent was impressive at CB hence why I'd consider moving him back there

I agree with you regarding Laurent at CB, and as per my reasoning with dropping certain midfielders to send a message, this would also be the case with the CB's!!

The other advantage with this system, it free's up either a defender or midfielder to rest players from burnout and also gives us a slightly stronger bench to call upon.

For me, having two up top with Ejaria sitting behind should give us a great threat up top, thus making the opposition leave more players back to defend the threat. With Puscas up top on his tod and Halilovic being injured we litterally have no attacking threat, meaning if the opposition score we're pretty much done for, apart from the odd Swift screamer!!

413 posts