207 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Birmingham City (a)

by Sutekh » 02 Nov 2021 21:59

When : Saturday 6 November 2021, 3pm
Where : St Andrews, Birmingham, B9 4RL
Capacity : 30,016

The shambles that is Reading’s season continues on Saturday with a visit to “bogey” Birmingham. With the 9 points deduction looming large as well this season is more or less already a case of damage limitation.

Brum are on a run of 3 straight wins after having immediately previously had a run of 7 with only 2 draws so at the moment they’re probably in the inconsistent bracket but nevertheless that’s more than enough of a proposition for a team in Reading’s current state.

Birmingham have Deeney and Hogan up front (oh joy) and if that doesn’t work then, as if by magic, Jutkiewicz will appear from the bench so more than enough for whatever there is left of the Reading squad by the time Saturday comes round.

The Blues have three players out injured; Adan George, Tahih Chong and Kristian Pedersen while Reading are now looking at 12+ injuries :lol: - Tetek, McIntyre, Joao, Morrison, Azeez, Meite, Araruna, Yiadom, Drinkwater, Rinomhota, Hoilett and Halilovic. On top of that Moore is probably doubtful and Swift and Southwood had a couple of heavy knocks v Millwall as well.

Referee

Thomas “100% winning Reading record” Bramall

Previously...

02 Oct 21 > Cardiff City 0-1 Reading

Historically

It took Reading until 1986 before they managed a game of any sort against Birmingham and of the first nine league games played between the sides, seven ended in draws. To me it just seems that the fixture has subsequently struggled with an air of dour tedium ever since.

Since 1986 the two teams have become fairly regular opponents in the league (this is the 20th season together) and have played each other in the thre highest tiers in the league.

While Birmingham are starting to become a bit of the proverbial bogey team (on the positive side, that's showing an improvement in Reading's overall league status as I remember when bogey team used to be Bury!) Reading do seem to do slightly better against the Blues in their own back yard as the Biscuitmen have recorded 7 wins which is only one less than Birmingham themselves.

Usually there are goals in this game and a clean sheet for either side is a bit unlikely so who would bet against the first ever 0-0 at St Andrews?

How to follow the game (should you be that desperate)

1. Get a ticket and go
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use a RoyalsTV subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM ; 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4, BBC iPlayer Radio (other radio apps are available ))

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Birmingham City (a)

by Millsy » 02 Nov 2021 23:27

Might be the first game I don't watch.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 02 Nov 2021 23:39

I predict 1-0 to Brum

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 03 Nov 2021 01:35

This is going to miserable. Oh well. Can’t wait.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 03 Nov 2021 08:08

A hammering that will spell a change from the owners

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 03 Nov 2021 08:18

2-0 Brum and the end of the Pauno era.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 03 Nov 2021 08:39

Zip 2-0 Brum and the end of the Pauno era.

Ooooh stop it you big tease :wink:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Nov 2021 13:07

We finally got some team changes. And Araruna has to be close to returning.

I think we're also better than a really long losing streak.

So I'll plump for point(s) from this and a stay of execution.

I do think Pauno's dismissal this season and probably this year is now a certainty and just a matter of when the trigger is pulled.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 03 Nov 2021 13:11

What is there to suggest Araruna is the solution to any problems we have? Ashcroft showed us more in one game than Araruna ever has.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Nov 2021 13:14

NathStPaul What is there to suggest Araruna is the solution to any problems we have? Ashcroft showed us more in one game than Araruna ever has.

He's a senior midfielder and he has played well at RB. He started last season as second choice RB ahead of Holmes and we got Esteves following his injury.

You're just being deliberately obnoxious.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 03 Nov 2021 13:16

Snowflake Royal
NathStPaul What is there to suggest Araruna is the solution to any problems we have? Ashcroft showed us more in one game than Araruna ever has.

He's a senior midfielder and he has played well at RB. He started last season as second choice RB ahead of Holmes and we got Esteves following his injury.

You're just being deliberately obnoxious.

No, no I am not. I asked a question which you answered, that is how forums normally work. You're having another one of your post Reading defeat outbursts, it is like clockwork.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 03 Nov 2021 13:59

Araruna has a chance to be involved but I would suggest he’s only going to be an option for the bench given he’s hardly anywhere near match fitness at the moment.

In addition to Araruna, Halilovic maybe fit enough to be involved....

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 03 Nov 2021 14:36

Sutekh Araruna has a chance to be involved but I would suggest he’s only going to be an option for the bench given he’s hardly anywhere near match fitness at the moment.

Hal would be a BIG bonus. Our attack has gone to complete shit since his injury. Yes he's frustrating at times but he moves the ball quickly and looks to get forward. Offers a bit of quality we otherwise lack.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Nov 2021 18:05

CountryRoyal
Sutekh Araruna has a chance to be involved but I would suggest he’s only going to be an option for the bench given he’s hardly anywhere near match fitness at the moment.

Hal would be a BIG bonus. Our attack has gone to complete shit since his injury. Yes he's frustrating at times but he moves the ball quickly and looks to get forward. Offers a bit of quality we otherwise lack.

Give me Hal's drive and limited technical quality over Ejaria's slow go nowhere showboating technical 'brilliance' every day of the week.

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 03 Nov 2021 20:41

I liked the 5-4-1 formation against Millwall and would use this again if Halilovic is still out. However, if he's fit i would revert back to the
4-2-3-1 and go with Halilovic, Camara and Swift as our AM's and Go with TDB and Laurent as holding midfielders.

At the back i would go with Dann and Moore as CB's and Holmes and Babba as full backs.

The key for me is getting quick balls into Puscas that he can run onto and attack!! his duck has to end sometime :shock: i thought he played really well the other night and just needs that break.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 04 Nov 2021 12:26

CountryRoyal This is going to miserable. Oh well. Can’t wait.

Will you be travelling? Do they sell beer in the away end? It's been a while

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 04 Nov 2021 12:39

Crowbar6753 I liked the 5-4-1 formation against Millwall and would use this again if Halilovic is still out. However, if he's fit i would revert back to the
4-2-3-1 and go with Halilovic, Camara and Swift as our AM's and Go with TDB and Laurent as holding midfielders.

At the back i would go with Dann and Moore as CB's and Holmes and Babba as full backs.

The key for me is getting quick balls into Puscas that he can run onto and attack!! his duck has to end sometime :shock: i thought he played really well the other night and just needs that break.

If i am brutally honest - I would rather give Hal a bit more time to recover.
Also liked the formation but only after the first 10 minutes though.
Happily see balls being played into channels all game for Puscas to chase / battle for. Would be very nice to see us put defenders in awkward positions for once., its been all to easy for oppo CBs recently. The pass them to death tactic needs to stop.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 04 Nov 2021 14:25

Think Moore could be missing after his leg injury at Millwall, if not then it’ll be the same XI however just maybe there’ll be Halilovic, Araruna on the bench - and maybe Rinomhota might be seen again.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Nov 2021 17:12

Fingers crossed

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 05 Nov 2021 08:10

I'd kinda like a draw. I miss draws.

207 posts